• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Wreaking Havoc on Your Travel Plans?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are feeling lucky that we had no particular difficulty in November with cruise stops in Taiwan, and China or with our departure from Hong Kong. Then for next week, my DW had signed up for a painting class. She;s a watercolorist and this instructor has some notoriety. She felt lucky to be able to block out a week and travel to the class. She was busily packing and putting together the needed supplies to depart Super Bowl Sunday, when she was notified that the class was canceled due to Coronavirus fear by the instructor. This was a nearby, local venue- not an international excursion. She was told that her entrance fee would be refunded, though the organizer would still be on the hook for the rental of the facility.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yep. In Boise. Personally I am thinking unfounded paranoia, but it's the instructor's prerogative.
Where the Coronavirus is out there so is the flu. So far in percentages it looks like the Flu has caused more death. This year different strains of the flu are everywhere that were not in the flu shot. Wonder where the instructor was coming from? Maybe she doesn’t want to fly.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone testive for the Flu by a doctor; they have visited any China city in the last two (2) months maybe should be retested after a period of time; by a doctor. .
Only if they still have Flu symptoms . IMHO.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm always amazed by how many people's lives are hampered by fear.
I just spoke to a friend last night. She and her husband were planning on a trip to Europe this spring (not timeshare owners - so they plan everything at the last minute). Now she says that they are just going to do a driving trip around the southwest. I couldn't believe it but she was dead serious.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
What prompted the question was that flying home from Mexico last weekend, at DFW, all the 'Passenger Assistance Personnel' (wheelchair pushers) were required to wear face masks. I, too feel that there is more reason for concern over flu than this new virus. The numbers though arre concerning. Yesterday, China 'fessed to 7,000 cases and today it's over 10,000 confirmed. Opposed to flu, that primarily affects older, weaker adults, this Coronavirus seems to affect young people for the most part. I have faith that the mechanism that allows it to pass between humans will be found and a means to stop it's progression will come from that.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a statistician so I am a fact / data-driven person. People freak out about all kinds of things - kids getting kidnapped off the street, catching coronovirus, crashing in a plane, etc. The odds of those sorts of things happening are so small...Yet people give no thought at all to driving around all day - and car fatalities happen all of the time.

Parents are the worst. They fear such rare things (kids getting kidnapped by a man in a white van) yet many are very lax about water / pool safety and a huge cause of death in children is drowning.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
A cold Corona beer virus with some steam Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs using both dirty hands with Old Bay Seafood seasoning ; sound like able a virus ; where can I go to catch this virus.? LOL.

How about a bottle of that new Old Bay Hot Sauce.?
Think this will cause my temperature to rise with new Corona virus???. LOL.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Wow, i am surprised at someone canceling a class, but agree its the instructors right.

We have a trip to Las Vegas in booked for mid February. At moment we are still planning to go, though Vegas has always felt like a like a place with lots of germs and opportunity to catch something.. Lots of people, many hands on the slot machine and chips...

I plan to monitor the situation, but probably only cancel if we start to see a spike in US infections.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My opinion, and that of my dh and dd, is that there is a lot of unfounded hysteria over this. Honestly, you're more likely to die from the flu, or a car crash.

My trainer was telling me today she's thinking of cancelling an upcoming trip to Florida for two reasons. One was the coronavirus. I told her she was in more danger working in the gym being around people who possibly have the flu.

We are going to Maui at the end of February. Still plan on going, never even thought of cancelling.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have a relative that is stopping over in Hong Kong. She is trying to change her plans with her U.S. airline.

We are heading to Europe in the near future. We are bringing face masks just in case it spreads and there is a run on them in the stores. We already pack our med case with tylenol etc wherever we go. Also bringing wet wipes to wipe down airline tray table, armrests and hotel room knobs etc. but we do this anyway.

Also making sure that our bills are paid etc for a few days longer in case we are delayed on return and cannot get them paid. We have travel insurance with medical.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have a relative that is stopping over in Hong Kong. She is trying to change her plans with her U.S. airline.

We are heading to Europe in the near future. We are bringing face masks just in case it spreads and there is a run on them in the stores. We already pack our med case with tylenol etc wherever we go. Also bringing wet wipes to wipe down airline tray table, armrests and hotel room knobs etc. but we do this anyway.
A few years ago dh and I took a cruise with stops in Mexico and the Caribbean. It was during one of the zika virus scares. The only additional precaution we took was to use the hand sanitizers that were set up outside each of the food service areas. We lived.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes I am a bit of a germophobe anyway, so don't mind a bit of extra caution so we don't ruin our trip. We were in Paris and NYC a few years ago and I caught a cold with a horrible cough and it nearly ruined the trip. Another time I was on a beautiful beach resort in Mykonos with a terrible sore throat in bed.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yes I am a bit of a germophobe anyway, so don't mind a bit of extra caution so Iwe don't ruin our trip. We were in Paris and NYC and I caught a cold with a horrible cough and it nearly ruined the trip. Another time I was on a beach in Mykonos with a terrible sore throat in bed.

I carry a pack of wipes, and always try to wipe down the hard surfaces on the plane, tv remote etc in the room.

We went to Napa for New Years, i was still sick when we left to go on the trip, and my wife caught bad by the 2nd day we were there. She is still sick.. so stuff happens, but you try and make the best of it..

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Okay, I do take one precaution when traveling. I take Airbourne after flying.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep your eye on the Shanghai stock market and be watching on Sunday night after 9 pm EST. The market will be open for the first time after a two week period of being closed for Chinese New Year. That will be an indicator of things to come. If their market tanks, the world economy will be set back and people will notice. Once fears sets in, few people will want to take a flight or a cruise anywhere. Hopefully, there is good news next week. But it is too early to tell. I think more people will cancel their trips on planes or ships.

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Wow, i am surprised at someone canceling a class, but agree its the instructors right.

We have a trip to Las Vegas in booked for mid February. At moment we are still planning to go, though Vegas has always felt like a like a place with lots of germs and opportunity to catch something.. Lots of people, many hands on the slot machine and chips...

I plan to monitor the situation, but probably only cancel if we start to see a spike in US infections.
We also have a Vegas trip planned at the same time as you and I feel the same way as you about all the germy stuff in Vegas, but we are also monitoring and still plan to go. Maybe take some latex gloves, LOL. Haven't really heard of anything going on there. We have a couple more spring flights planned as well.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As of now we have our trip/flying end of March. Keeping our plans. I have flown with a mask on before. Many times after flying, I end up with a nice cold. This virus is a good reason to wear one.

We went to Mexico a few years ago when the zika virus was around. We really considered cancelling that one. Glad we were able to make it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are not canceling our trip to Hawaii in late June .

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)