• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Wreaking Havoc on Your Travel Plans?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There have been no reported cases of this coronavirus in Central America, the Carribeans, South America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa
Hopefully it stays like that! There was a bit of a scare here in Belize the other day. A flight landed at BZE from the USA with 12 Chinese students returning to their families (over 90% of the grocery stores where I am, & possibly the whole country, are owned by Chinese) in Belize and 11 of them were denied entry. Of course people immediately started the rumour that it was due to exposure to the Corona Virus but it was actually immigration issues which was the problem.

The government has now declared the virus as a communicable disease and is prohibiting entry to Belize to anybody who has travelled to China in the last 14 days (sounds like it should be longer) or shows any symptoms. A clause pertaining to that has been added to the Immigration Act Regulations.

~Diane

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Cruise Ship Previously Rejected by Five Countries Over Virus Fears Will Finally Be Allowed to Dock.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got notice on our already-booked November TransAtlantic cruise on Celebrity that prices are not necessarily dropping, but that they are now throwing in air, all four perks, huge OBC, and shore excursions(!) for a relatively small increase over what we've agreed to pay.

I'll go out on a fairly sturdy limb here and suggest that the incoming calls to the cruise lines are overwhelmingly cancellations and not fresh bookings.

Jim

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Aaack!! Our Italian friends host Chinese high school students. One boy came back from Christmas break around January 15th or so. The second boy missed the first week of school and came back around the 22nd. We played cards at their house the 30th and I joked "no corona virus, right?" and we all laughed it off. Last week our friend was sick with a cold or flu so we didn't play and again I asked "corona virus"? They are due at our house tomorrow night and I just found out one of the boys is now sick. Antonella took him to the doctor yesterday and was told "absolutely not corona virus" based on the boy's symptoms (sore throat, red nose, feeling horrible). What?! I assume the Catholic high school and our town would be all freaking out if there were other Chinese students sick and passing something (anything) on to American students, but really, how does a doctor know a sick kid who has been back from China 3 weeks isn't carrying the virus? I couldn't get a straight answer (language issues) as to whether the doctor at least took a culture or whatever they do when they suspect the virus. We really aren't concerned, but the news does give us pause.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aaack!! Our Italian friends host Chinese high school students. One boy came back from Christmas break around January 15th or so. The second boy missed the first week of school and came back around the 22nd. We played cards at their house the 30th and I joked "no corona virus, right?" and we all laughed it off. Last week our friend was sick with a cold or flu so we didn't play and again I asked "corona virus"? They are due at our house tomorrow night and I just found out one of the boys is now sick. Antonella took him to the doctor yesterday and was told "absolutely not corona virus" based on the boy's symptoms (sore throat, red nose, feeling horrible). What?! I assume the Catholic high school and our town would be all freaking out if there were other Chinese students sick and passing something (anything) on to American students, but really, how does a doctor know a sick kid who has been back from China 3 weeks isn't carrying the virus? I couldn't get a straight answer (language issues) as to whether the doctor at least took a culture or whatever they do when they suspect the virus. We really aren't concerned, but the news does give us pause.
You should be very concerned and cancel cards at your house tomorrow night. Coronavirus or not, I keep a wide berth from people with a cold or flu.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I would cancel and push for more answers. If these kids or your friend have been exposed they should be getting the best care. This is not only about others getting it though that is extremely important too. If you end up feeling this needs more attention I would report your concerns to cdc. You were near them , you should be concerned about your health too. A friend should give you straight answers

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Fear of the unknown is tragic. I pray that this crises does not turned into what happen after Japan bombed Pearl Harbour. When loyal American Japanese citizens were placed into camps; simply because they were Japanese.

All Chinese do not have the coronavirus. The CBC must act responsibly in this matter.
I pray this Chinese student have the flu and not the coronavirus.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fear of the unknown is tragic. I pray this does not turned into what happen after Japan bombed Pearl Harbour. When loyal American Japanese citizens were placed into camps; simply because they were Japanese.

All Chinese do not have the coronavirus. The CBC must act responsibly in this matter.
This is totally different. If one has symptoms it needs to be taken seriously, especially if they were in the hard hit region.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is totally different. If one has symptoms it needs to be taken seriously, especially if they were in the hard hit region.
There are Chinese all over the world. A good friend of mine is Chinese from Venezuela. Treating all Chinese as potentially carrying coronavirus is just plain wrong. Hence my question to @clifffaith as to where are these kids from.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There are Chinese all over the world. A good friend of mine is Chinese from Venezuela. Treating all Chinese as potentially carrying coronavirus is just plain wrong. Hence my question to @clifffaith as to where are these kids from.
I agree with you but also believe it just will take a few people having it and not isolated to make another country have an epidemic too. And assuming only Chinese population are carrying it is a problem too. It has crossed borders, doctors need to be diligent that anyone can have it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are no known cases of the coronavirus in Central and South America.

Wyominguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just received an email about our Princess Mexican Riviera cruise departing this Saturday (2/15) from Los Angeles that they will not allow anyone to board that has been to China in the previous 14 days.

Neil

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
@clifffaith Do you know for certain these Chinese high school kids are from mainland China as opposed to from Taiwan or any other countries?

Mainland China. Cliff thinks Shanghai for at least one boy, but I don't know why he thinks that and they have had two boys every year for 7-8 years so he could be remembering another kid. We don't even get introduced to the kids any more, just say hello if one happens to come in from being out, or sticks his head out of his bedroom.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thing about no admittance if you've been to China in the last 14 days cannot be enforced. They simply ask, "Have you been to China in the last 14 days" You say no, and get on the flight or ship. If you needed to be somewhere, you could easily lie and get through. Who wants to say Yes, I was in China, when it means you wasted a lot of time and you probably need to pay airline change fees too.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
This thing about no admittance if you've been to China in the last 14 days cannot be enforced. They simply ask, "Have you been to China in the last 14 days" You say no, and get on the flight or ship. If you needed to be somewhere, you could easily lie and get through. Who wants to say Yes, I was in China, when it means you wasted a lot of time and you probably need to pay airline change fees too.

Ah but if they ask to see your Passport. Also some "experts" are not saying 24 days not 14 days.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mainland China. Cliff thinks Shanghai for at least one boy, but I don't know why he thinks that and they have had two boys every year for 7-8 years so he could be remembering another kid. We don't even get introduced to the kids any more, just say hello if one happens to come in from being out, or sticks his head out of his bedroom.

China does not typically send students overseas on exchange. If I have to guess I would say the 2 boys came from Taiwan.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Read this morning that Norwegian Cruise Lines are digging in their heels on cruise cancellation refunds. Also when it comes to trip cancellation insurance, fear of cruising because of the coronavirus scare is not a valid reason for insurance claim.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Big picture topic. What will Japan do if this coronavirus is still around after April 2020???. Why because Japan is the host nation for the summer Olympics Games.????

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Big picture topic. What will Japan do if this coronavirus is still around after April 2020???. Why because Japan is the host nation for the summer Olympics Games.????
By then we should know if this is an epidemic in more then one region or a pandemic. Hopefully it is gone but if not I wouldn’t be surprised if it is postponed.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just read this, where was she exposed is the question?

On Thursday Japan announced its first coronavirus death - a woman in her 80s who lived in Kanagawa, south-west of Tokyo.
The woman's diagnosis was confirmed after her death and she had no obvious link to China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak, Japanese media reported.”

From this article