• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Wreaking Havoc on Your Travel Plans?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Transpacific: Sydney Australia-New Zealand-Polynesian Islands (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Morea)-Honolulu, HI. Hawaii cruise around the islands ending in Vancouver Canada.

We don't want to get on a plane. We don't want to get on a port in Sydney. We don't want to be in confined space in a plane or cruise ship. The coronavirus spread is no longer confined to just from China.
I have been watching a cruise from CA we are on next month. Yesterday, no insides left and balcony was around $6,400. Today...there are insides available and balcony dropped to $5,700. If they continue to drop I will try to reprice my inside for a balcony. At this point, I'm not changing anything. Disneyland and cruise.....talk about potential for germs. I will monitor over the next month if it gets very bad, the I will reconsider. At this point my concern is not getting coronavirus…..it is about quarantined in my room on a cruise ship for 14 days. If there is a high potential for THAT, then I'm making other plans.
Just the risk of getting quarantined in a room on a cruise ship would make me make other plans for a vacation.

Right now I have vacation plans for mid March and am keeping them in place. It is a driving vacation. I am supposed to go to NY later this month by train and still deciding whether to go.

This Month I actually had two weeks in Disney and changed it to one week in Captiva and the other in Marco Island. At this point I just wanted to reduce my chance for getting a different strain of the flu, once this year was enough.

Logically I know I can get the flu anywhere but emotionally I think less people less risk. I think some of us at this point will make our decision with traveling because of the Coronavirus emotionally, including me. I remember when Zika broke out in Miami, I changed my vacation to Orlando, was it a logical or a emotional choice, probably both but it made me have less stress about the vacation and I was able to enjoy.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are keeping all driving vacations and will be making more to replace the ones that we have cancelled.
Same here.

I think me already getting so sick this year is making me even more careful. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor the end of this month and will call to ask if it is ok to reschedule. I don’t even want to go to a doctors office unless I am sick.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How Not to Get Sick While Traveling.

Richard

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have an August trip to London & then cruising from Norway to Sweden. I don't plan to cancel. When I was growing up, polio was dreaded. It peaked in the summer, and my parents put public pools off-limits. In the epidemic of 1949, 2,720 people died in the U.S. In 1952, the worst outbreak in our history, 57,628 cases were reported and 3,145 died. One or two schoolmates got polio, but most were fine. I was too young to read newspapers, so I don't know how frantic the headlines were. I suspect there's more fear-stoking today than back then. (Statistics swiped from Wikipedia)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have an August trip to London & then cruising from Norway to Sweden. I don't plan to cancel. When I was growing up, polio was dreaded. It peaked in the summer, and my parents put public pools off-limits. In the epidemic of 1949, 2,720 people died in the U.S. In 1952, the worst outbreak in our history, 57,628 cases were reported and 3,145 died. One or two schoolmates got polio, but most were fine. I was too young to read newspapers, so I don't know how frantic the headlines were. I suspect there's more fear-stoking today than back then. (Statistics swiped from Wikipedia)
In 1952, I was living in an Orphanage in Cleveland, Ohio. It was a large place - 72 acres - and had a K thru 8th grade school. The Orphanage had 400 children at the time and we lived in 3-story cottages with boys and girls segregated into separate cottages by age groupings. Several children at the time contracted Polio and had to be hospitalized and were treated in "Iron Lungs". I was too young at the time to understand what was happening but remember being told about Polio and rumors about the dreaded "Iron Lungs" spread like wildfire amongst the children. We all had to go to the "Hospital Cottage" for testing to determine if we had Polio. We were examined by a Doctor who I subsequently discovered much later was a Pediatric Neurologist. He was very kind to me and I remembered him fondly. Many years later, when I was in Graduate School at Case Western Reserve University, one of my Clinical Extern assignments was at Cleveland Metropolitan Hospital where I discovered that Dr. Iben, the Pediatric Neurologist, was on staff and was Chief of Neurology. I went to visit him and told him I remembered his visits to the Orphanage and him testing us for Polio. He was very gracious and explained that we were part of a study that yielded valuable information about Polio
since the Orphanage was considered a "Closed Institution" because of our living arrangements that lended itself perfectly for study. He said the published study was considered classic in the medical literature about Polio. I thanked him again for his work.

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
In 1952, I was living in an Orphanage in Cleveland, Ohio. It was a large place - 72 acres - and had a K thru 8th grade school. The Orphanage had 400 children at the time and we lived in 3-story cottages with boys and girls segregated into separate cottages by age groupings. Several children at the time contracted Polio and had to be hospitalized and were treated in "Iron Lungs".
Those of us of a 'certain age' who grew up in the pre-Salk Polio vaccine time. remember the terror that gripped the country, the closing of swimming pools, the cancellation of movies and other places where (mostly) kids gathered.

Paula, my DW, was a 'Polio Pioneer' who got one of the first experimental human vaccines in 1954. She still has the little medal that was given to these kids. More here: https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/blog/polio-pioneers-tell-their-stories

Thanks, Richard for sharing that personal history.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a trip and had about an hour layover at LAX at 1am Tuesday morning. About 1/4 of the people in the terminal were Asian and all were wearing masks. Everybody gave each other a wide berth. I am in the better safe than sorry category. We didn't change our plans but tried to be cautious. I don't know if the masks were helping but if people keep their germs away from me, I am grateful.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a trip and had about an hour layover at LAX at 1am Tuesday morning. About 1/4 of the people in the terminal were Asian and all were wearing masks. Everybody gave each other a wide berth. I am in the better safe than sorry category. We didn't change our plans but tried to be cautious. I don't know if the masks were helping but if people keep their germs away from me, I am grateful.
In Asia, many countries have issued free masks to all residents, requesting residents to put on masks at all times. It is to keep germs away as well as not spread in case they are carriers. While those are not N95 masks, which are terribly uncomfortable to use for any prolonged periods, many of those masks have some protection and are to be changed out every few hours. The blue side is apparently water resident and to be worn outside while the white side is on the inside to absorb moisture from the air that is breathed out.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ins and outs of (Canadian) travel insurance amid novel coronavirus outbreak

Richard

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any predictions how this virus may play out in the summer travel months?
Thinking about the large number of tourists traveling to and from the United States, Asia and China, children, students and adults traveling within the continent of North America, Europe, and Asia. What is the CDC game plan?

There are still only two (2) continents that have not report any coronavirus outbreak. They are Africa and South America.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Port of Seattle watches coronavirus developments closely with cruise season 8 weeks away.

Richard

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there any predictions how this virus may play out in the summer travel months?
Thinking about the large number of tourists traveling to and from the United States, Asia and China, children, students and adults traveling within the continent of North America, Europe, and Asia. What is the CDC game plan?

There are still only two (2) continents that have not report any coronavirus outbreak. They are Africa and South America.
Good question. My sister, brother-in-law and a close friend are flying in from Singapore in September. They have already booked flights and we have planned to take them to Southern Utah. I hope a vaccine or something is available by then so that everyone can take the vaccine and not have fear of catching the virus. If the situation is not resolved by then, I am hoping that they will cancel their flights as it is difficult for me to tell them not to come. My close friend is flying here just to see me.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good question. My sister, brother-in-law and a close friend are flying in from Singapore in September. They have already booked flights and we have planned to take them to Southern Utah. I hope a vaccine or something is available by then so that everyone can take the vaccine and not have fear of catching the virus. If the situation is not resolved by then, I am hoping that they will cancel their flights as it is difficult for me to tell them not to come. My close friend is flying here just to see me.
A lot can happen by then, one way or another. Either is will calm down or be a pandemic. Let’s hope for the best.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fear is the enemy to mankind. Let pray that our governmental health agencies will join in with a good game plan to protect the world population.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thailand Turns Away Cruise Ship Rejected By Three Nations Over Coronavirus Fears.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Countries Widen Travel Warning to Include Singapore.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As Asia panics, one country wins praise for approach to virus.

Richard

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We are in Tasmania. We have been here 11 days. In 3 days we move to Melbourne for a week. We have noticed a real down turn of Asian tourists. Also many Australians are vacationing in their Home country vice going to Asia.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
A Canadian with a Chinese passport reported on Cruise Critic that her reservation was canceled, NCL is denying boarding to anyone with Chinese passport. She's lived in Canada 30 years, just never bothered to complete citizenship.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quarantine recommendations is being updated/changed from 14 days to 24 days by some in the medical field.
Some medical experts are now saying that it may take up to 24 days before you can develop this coronavirus .

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been no reported cases of this coronavirus in Central America, the Carribeans, South America, Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been no reported cases of the coronavirus in the state of Hawaii and Florida.