• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Wreaking Havoc on Your Travel Plans?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The first step in not getting the flu is prevention. The second step is treatment asap. Here is a life extensions link to the flu. It's good to know info.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

So true, Everyone I know up in NY is sick. Both my mom and sister. I believe they have the flu, full body aches, no energy, no appetite, fever, miserable.

I had the flu A early January and I actually fear getting the flu b more then the coronavirus. Like any other virus catching if it goes bacterial is important, that is where the problems are. I went sinus bacterial with the flu and Thankfully am ok now.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am a statistician so I am a fact / data-driven person......

Here is a likely statistic :
Overall deaths in China are probably down this month.

Every day (X) number of people die from vehicle accidents and hit bicyclist & pedestrians etc
With travel reduced and people in China afraid to go to public places - it is likely that deaths from these types of incidents have been reduced significantly compared to
the average daily total .

Visits to hospitals in the Wuhan area are obviously way up .

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
A cold Corona beer virus with some steam Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs using both dirty hands with Old Bay Seafood seasoning ; sound like able a virus ; where can I go to catch this virus.? LOL.

How about a bottle of that new Old Bay Hot Sauce.?
Think this will cause my temperature to rise with new Corona virus???. LOL.

Bushel of live Maryland Blue Crabs shipped to you.

Not to bad... Depending on size males running between $200.00 and $300.00

Old Bay Hot Sauce? Most places sold out the first day. :oops:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I carry a pack of wipes, and always try to wipe down the hard surfaces on the plane, tv remote etc in the room.

Just in case.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sent a warning letter to the maker of Purell this month for inappropriately marketing the hand sanitizer as a way to prevent an array of diseases. :eek:

The FDA says GOJO Industries Inc., Purell's parent company, made a series of unverified claims suggesting that over-the-counter hand sanitizer is an effective way of preventing Ebola, MRSA, VRE, norovirus, flu, and Candida auris, according to the Jan. 17 letter.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
China death toll reaches 259; WHO warns countries to prepare

China criticized the U.S. controls and "unfriendly comments" that Beijing was failing to cooperate.

"Just as the WHO recommended against travel restrictions, the U.S. rushed to go in the opposite way. Certainly not a gesture of goodwill," said foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying. WHO Secretary-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that despite the emergency declaration, there is "no reason for measures that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade."

The death rate in China is falling, but the number of confirmed cases will keep growing because thousands of specimens from suspected cases have yet to be tested, WHO's Galea said.

"The case fatality ratio is settling out at a much lower level than we were reporting three, now four, weeks ago," he said.
Both the new virus and SARS are from the coronavirus family, which also includes those that cause the common cold.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
i'm concerned about the corona virus, not because of any big fear that I might get exposed even if I travel, but about reports on the possibility for it to continue to mutate and as a result become more deadly. While it seems to be causing lots of illness now, the death toll relatively is still low.

I also read an in-depth article about the issues of the Chinese open air markets selling all sorts of exotic animals caught in the wild, despite official restrictions on this type of sale. The one in the city where the outbreak started was the size of 9 football fields and had thousands of venders with live or recently killed animals or reptiles. That's where the virus, which appears to have come via bats to other animals, first jumped to humans. Apparently government officials have been ignoring the prohibition on selling many of the wild animals because of the money it brings to their local economy and the high demand among people who think they have curative powers or want to demonstrate their wealth by purchasing the exotics. The potential for another, more deadly virus, to come out of this environment is high and while I believe the market in Wuhan has been closed, it sounds like there are similar places around China.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a dear friend who was born and raised in Shanghai, came to the US for 20 years and got his US citizenship, and then went back to Shanghai to represent some major US networking companies there. He now owns homes in both locations, including one 10 minutes from us. He travels back and forth frequently. He said that even in Shanghai, things are pretty locked down. He and his friends celebrated Lunar New Year via teleconferencing from their own homes.

My wife's father is 90 years old, lives in a senior home near us, and has COPD and a compromised respiratory system. It broke DW's heart to tell our Chinese friend that she can't see him on his current trip to the US. She can't take the chance of transmitting the corona virus to her father, where it would likely be fatal. Our Chinese friend agreed -- he's going to quarantine himself in his home near us for 10 days before venturing out.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of my former staff in Shanghai had obtained permanent residency in Canada about 15 years ago but continued to commute between Shanghai and Canada depending on where his job brought him. He went back to Shanghai with his wife, also from Shanghai, and daughter for Chinese New Year and they are now stuck in Shanghai. He took pictures of empty shelves in the supermarket with very few shoppers. They are pretty much locked down in their home in Shanghai.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
China death toll reaches 259; WHO warns countries to prepare

China criticized the U.S. controls and "unfriendly comments" that Beijing was failing to cooperate.

"Just as the WHO recommended against travel restrictions, the U.S. rushed to go in the opposite way. Certainly not a gesture of goodwill," said foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying. WHO Secretary-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that despite the emergency declaration, there is "no reason for measures that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade."

The death rate in China is falling, but the number of confirmed cases will keep growing because thousands of specimens from suspected cases have yet to be tested, WHO's Galea said.

"The case fatality ratio is settling out at a much lower level than we were reporting three, now four, weeks ago," he said.
Both the new virus and SARS are from the coronavirus family, which also includes those that cause the common cold.

Unofficial reports of corona virus deaths in China are way more than the official count. Reports that millions have already died and reports that there are over 4.5 million infected people have been leaked. There are strict cerfews and exclusion in place. The main area of infection is in Comunist China so who really knows.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Unofficial reports of corona virus deaths in China are way more than the official count. Reports that millions have already died and reports that there are over 4.5 million infected people have been leaked. There are strict cerfews and exclusion in place. The main area of infection is in Comunist China so who really knows.

Bill
Whereas I believe we really don’t know the real numbers, where did you see the leak that millions have already died?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill
Where did you get this information from? Sensational rumors sell papers.

If millions had been infected or died, we would not be seeing only the 8th case in the USA.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Masks don’t protect you from getting sick unless you wear an N95. Masks are best worn by the sick.

If a nurse declines the flu vaccine for ANY reason she must wear a mask at all times except in the break room. This protects the patients from the nurse not the other way around.

Your best prevention is frequent hand washing and keeping your hands away from your face.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
PS you have to wear an N95 appropriately. Snug to the face without any gaps. If you can smell an odor it is not applied correctly.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

With today's social media there is no way to keep that under wraps. I would think even a complete internet shutdown would only slow the spread of that kind of info for a matter of minutes. The Chinese are a very technologically advanced group of people. A complete shutdown of internet would be a major international story especially with what is going on.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My go-to for stuff like this is the CDC website only. I have faith that they are giving the real deal info.

Honestly...I wasn't thinking much about this until a friend (who is very smart disease scientist that works on creating vaccines) was headed to costco this weekend to stock up on items in case it spreads to the US and we end up on lock-down. I laughed and told them great, I will plan on hanging at your place if it hits.........but it did get me thinking since I respect this guy that much.

I also got the low-down on masks from his wife. They also said what Turkel said...a regular mask does nothing to prevent you from getting anything. It is the sick that need to wear them.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where did you get this information from? Sensational rumors sell papers.

If millions had been infected or died, we would not be seeing only the 8th case in the USA.
There are videos at liveleak.com showing the lock down effort, hospital efforts and other happenings in the area. These videos and blogs could very well be junk, imo. But I kind of think China would tell any country the truth if the truth would hurt their natio n.

Bil l

Brett

Reaction score

Bill

so you're 'heard' that millions of people have died from the Caronavirus
and it's been "leaked" that 4.5 million people are infected and headed to the US
time to panic .... like the zombie apocalypse

Brett

Reaction score
There are videos at liveleak.com showing the lock down effort, hospital efforts and other happenings in the area. These videos and blogs could very well be junk, imo. But I kind of think China would tell any country the truth if the truth would hurt their natio n.

Bil l

"A source I know inside the US Public Health Corps stated that they have received plans for emergency quarantine of Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago, and immediate evacuations of New York City, Washington DC, and other major metropolitan areas, to resettlement camps being erected in South Dakota"

as long as they don't have the "resettlement" concentration camps in Virginia !

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"A source I know inside the US Public Health Corps stated that they have received plans for emergency quarantine of Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago, and immediate evacuations of New York City, Washington DC, and other major metropolitan areas, to resettlement camps being erected in South Dakota"

as long as they don't have the "resettlement" concentration camps in Virginia !
You did read that I said these links could very well be junk, right.
Bill

Brett

Reaction score
You did read that I said these links could very well be junk, right.
Bill

could well be junk ........ but obviously someone reads them
and feels it's necessary to pass along this important social media "news" .... right? ;)

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
could well be junk ........ but obviously someone reads them
and feels it's necessary to pass along this important social media "news" .... right? ;)
What's your tricking problem dude ? It was asked where I saw this. This is but one place I saw this type of material . Anyway , you read it and ......,lol.

Bill

Brett

Reaction score
What's your tricking problem dude ? It was asked where I saw this. This is but one place I saw this type of material . Anyway , you read it and ......,lol.

Bill

you saw secret PGP encrypted data that indicated millions are dying from the Coronavirus
and resettlement camps being set up in Chicago and Washington DC will be evacuated
wouldn't it make sense to set up the Corona resettlement concentration camps on the the Mexican border ?
Think about it
(lol):)

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you saw secret PGP encrypted data that indicated millions are dying from the Coronavirus
and resettlement camps being set up in Chicago and Washington DC will be evacuated
wouldn't it make sense to set up the Corona resettlement concentration camps on the the Mexican border ?
Think about it
(lol):)
Yes, near a lime orchard most likely.

Bill