• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus is Bad but US Flu's New Numbers Still Far Worse

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Coronavirus is Bad but US Flu's New Numbers Still Far Worse.

Richard

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The media is always attracted to the shiny new bauble, but yes, "just the flu" is not really that.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Coronavirus is headlines news because it started in Southeast Asia China and the Princess cruise ship quarantine .

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the news article there have been 18,000 deaths caused by the flu in the United States. Now that is a problem IMO.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that people are aware that they should be washing their hands and cleaning surfaces maybe the flu rate will drop
We just had our first Covid-19 death here in Lee County (Ft Myers FL) related to international travel
At this point people who traveled to one of the high risk areas should be smart enough and considerate enough to self quarantine

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Coronavirus is Bad but US Flu's New Numbers Still Far Worse.
That depends on which numbers you are looking at.
The number that scares me is the effective reproductive number, R-naught, prior to the Wuhan lockdown of 3.86, indicating a virus that spread wildly. Combined with a death rate somewhere above 1% this is a dangerous virus, that's why millions of Chinese have been locked in their homes for weeks. It's not the flu.

Also, according to these numbers the Wuhan lockdown reduced R-naught to 0.32 thus dramatically shrinking the contagion. Quarantine apparently works with this virus.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Flu may result in more deaths but what also is concerning is the mortality rate. Influenza is fatal to less than 1% of those who contract it. Covid-19 is fatal to approximately 3.4% of those who contract it and that is worthy of the effort to nip it in the bud. IMHO neither would be in the news if people would wash their hands. I'm still amazed when I see a man come out of a stall in a public men's restroom and walk right out the door without washing his hands. Yuck!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Flu may result in more deaths but what also is concerning is the mortality rate. Influenza is fatal to less than 1% of those who contract it. Covid-19 is fatal to approximately 3.4% of those who contract it and that is worthy of the effort to nip it in the bud. IMHO neither would be in the news if people would wash their hands. I'm still amazed when I see a man come out of a stall in a public men's restroom and walk right out the door without washing his hands. Yuck!

How are they going to nip this in the bud? I mean I do not see how it can be stopped. Despite the regular flu shots, the hand washing and so forth the flu is still killing more people than ever.

The same with this new virus. Yeah- you could wear gloves and masks and wash your hands until your skin falls off. But it will be on currency, credit cards, atm machines, door knobs, packages, everywhere you would go to live a "normal" life, like restaurants, concerts, theaters, buses subways, trains, planes, ubers, taxis, churches, stores. Every door knob you touch. Unless you become a prisoner in your own home for years on end. Maybe we should not worry about it and just contract it and get it over with.

Hell- if you need to see a doctor- let's say for something not related to a flu- I would not even want to go to a doctors office- or to an urgent care center or a hospital with all the sick people there! Forget about visiting someone in a nursing home!

So either this thing is more serious than they are letting on- like a plague- or the CDC is making people worry needlessly.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet this happen 4 out of 10 times in a public restroom and at home. This is why the Coronavirus is so dangerous and very easily to spread.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope females are more careful than males in washing their hands in public restrooms and at home after using the restrooms facilities.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The EPA says coronaviruses are enveloped viruses, meaning they are one of the easiest types of viruses to kill with the appropriate disinfectant product.

You can find the entire list of products here.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The EPA says coronaviruses are enveloped viruses, meaning they are one of the easiest types of viruses to kill with the appropriate disinfectant product.

You can find the entire list of products here.

Maybe they should just hose us all down. LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hope females are more careful than males in washing their hands in public restrooms and at home after using the restrooms facilities.

HUH?

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
How are they going to nip this in the bud? I mean I do not see how it can be stopped.
If each infected person infects less than one other person, the contagion burns itself out. We would still hear about new cases but every day their numbers would shrink toward zero. Apparently that's what quarantine does.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If each infected person infects less than one other person, the contagion burns itself out. We would still hear about new cases but every day their numbers would shrink toward zero. Apparently that's what quarantine does.

I have to say I am skeptical. Think of all the masses of people that this involves and the government does not even know everyone who has it. It would be impossible I would think but I am not that bright.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
How are they going to nip this in the bud? I mean I do not see how it can be stopped. Despite the regular flu shots, the hand washing and so forth the flu is still killing more people than ever.

The same with this new virus. Yeah- you could wear gloves and masks and wash your hands until your skin falls off. But it will be on currency, credit cards, atm machines, door knobs, packages, everywhere you would go to live a "normal" life, like restaurants, concerts, theaters, buses subways, trains, planes, ubers, taxis, churches, stores. Every door knob you touch. Unless you become a prisoner in your own home for years on end. Maybe we should not worry about it and just contract it and get it over with.

Hell- if you need to see a doctor- let's say for something not related to a flu- I would not even want to go to a doctors office- or to an urgent care center or a hospital with all the sick people there! Forget about visiting someone in a nursing home!

So either this thing is more serious than they are letting on- like a plague- or the CDC is making people worry needlessly.
Agree there is no way to avoid this unless you are already stockpiled, lock yourself in your home and let no one in and out for who knows how long.

Nip in the butt in the US, I don’t see it, it has already started and life is going on for most as normal, thus spreading. It is naive to think many others do not have it.

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Despite all the education being put out there on hand washing and cleaning surfaces I don't think it is being done enough
Yesterday I went to Costco in Naples FL...my favorite store. I was pleased that there were two people at the front wiping off the carts as you brought them in. Then as I was waiting for a pizza to be cooked I was absolutely horrified as I watched the women at the register handle money, touch the register and then handle someone's food with the SAME pair of gloves.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

I keep thinking it's the other way around........

Not to get into this subject.......but we don't need our hands to take anything out.....sorry about the description :oops:

Until there is a vaccine or whatever you call it, for this new virus, we can be quarantined in our homes indefinitely. You think you are exposed, quarantined. All good. Go out. You think you are exposed, quarantined and so forth.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am telling you working in health care and daily going in and out of doctors offices and facilities, I never, ever used sanitary wipes or gloves to open and close doors all day and I only washed my hands after using the restroom or if for some reason I felt they were dirty and needed to. And MAYBE before lunch. I shook hands all day with doctors and their staff. 13 years doing it and even before then my whole life working in other health care settings with tons of people interaction every single day- some sick, some caregivers, some just the general public. Up until now never a cold or flu and no flu shot. But. hey, there's a first time for everything. But how crazy should we all be getting?

Heck- right now I have people coming in and out of our house to do work and I have shaken their hands as well. Last weekend I hugged my new future neighbor friend and her husband! WOW!

When food shopping I have never, ever wiped the cart handles either. I always felt some germs were good for immunity anyway but I honestly never gave it that much thought and poo pooed people who were germaphobes.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I am telling you working in health care and daily going in and out of doctors offices and facilities, I never, ever used sanitary wipes or gloves to open and close doors all day and I only washed my hands after using the restroom or if for some reason I felt they were dirty and needed to. And MAYBE before lunch. I shook hands all day with doctors and their staff. 13 years doing it and even before then my whole life working in other health care settings with tons of people interaction every single day- some sick, some caregivers, some just the general public. Up until now never a cold or flu and no flu shot. But. hey, there's a first time for everything. But how crazy should we all be getting?

Heck- right now I have people coming in and out of our house to do work and I have shaken their hands as well. Last weekend I hugged my new future neighbor friend and her husband! WOW!

When food shopping I have never, ever wiped the cart handles either. I always felt some germs were good for immunity anyway but I honestly never gave it that much thought and poo pooed people who were germaphobes.
You have perfectly described the practices that best spread colds, flu, and coronavirus. Hopefully too many people don't follow your lead.

On the subject of bathrooms, the focus is often on the elimination part, but this is not the issue with these viruses. Washing after going to the bathroom is primarily intended to stop the spread of GI based contagions, and the fact you touch lots of surfaces that can spread viruses. Not because you peeed.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You have perfectly described the practices that best spread colds, flu, and coronavirus. Hopefully too many people don't follow your lead.

On the subject of bathrooms, the focus is often on the elimination part, but this is not the issue with these viruses. Washing after going to the bathroom is primarily intended to stop the spread of GI based contagions, and the fact you touch lots of surfaces that can spread viruses. Not because you peeed.

It is simply not realistic to think people are going to wash their hands 50 times per day- like every single time they shake a hand or open or close a door.

It ain’t gonna happen. Sure people who don’t do anything or go anywhere it’s easier.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is simply not realistic to think people are going to wash their hands 50 times per day- like every single time they shake a hand or open or close a door.

It ain’t gonna happen. Sure people who don’t do anything or go anywhere it’s easier.
Because of the panic more people will, for all that will, others won’t. That is why imo it will keep spreading.

You were lucky, you have a good immune system. My sister was the same way, she never took the flu shot until one year it got her really bad, now she gets one.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was just in 2 mattress stores. Touched the door handles to get in and out. Will be going into a few more. Just put a cough drop in my mouth. Oops- I opened and closed the car door several times also and when I go home I have to touch our door knobs. Should I be washing my hands for every one of these scenarios. I suppose so but I did not. Heck- where would I? Would need a case of disinfectant wipes at this rate.

And I just moved my wig hair behind my ears. I am a gonner now!

It’s enough to make a person insane!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was just in 2 mattress stores. Touched the door handles to get in and out. Will be going into a few more. Just put a cough drop in my mouth. Oops- I opened and closed the car door several times also and when I go home I have to touch our door knobs. Should I be washing my hands for every one of these scenarios. I suppose so but I did not. Heck- where would I? Would need a case of disinfectant wipes at this rate.

And I just moved my wig hair behind my ears. I am a gonner now!

It’s enough to make a person insane!
Just live. You can only do what you can. Worry does nothing but makes you sick. You have the wisdom to understand this all.