• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
People can read the posts here, but also should probably do their own research to come to their own conclusions.

Ken- avatars can't breathe so they really don't need to wear masks. LOL! I'm teasing you!

Brett

Reaction score
I’m going to write whatever I feel is necessary. I’m sorry if you don’t like it, so feel free to block me anytime. I’m glad you appreciated some of my comments, but clearly you don’t see the insults others send my way since you haven’t corrected them. If you’re going to pretend to take the high road, at least try to do so objectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

good

young.jpg

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/us/coronavirus-myrtle-beach.html

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The modern Western societies have been built on accepting and encouraging different points of view. Now that is changing, you can be eviscerated for even asking questions. You are uninformed, misguided and probably have evil motives. Not only you do not get it, you are a bad person (you choose the wallet vs. lives narrative for example).

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hong Kong

The numbers

If we had reacted early and effectively like Hong Kong a city of 7.5 million we could have had numbers like these. They had first cases about when we did and have a very dense population. They also have experienced demonstrations.

Normalizing for population

equivalent deaths in the us would be 500 not 130000 (Hong Kong 10)

Our current 7 day average of new cases would be 450 not over 45000 (Hong Kong 9)

While Hong Kong is probably the most extreme difference the basic premise holds for all of Asia.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
key points from this interview:

++“There are already more than 50 studies that have presented results on how many people in different countries and locations have developed antibodies to the virus,”

++based on those studies he estimates that about 150-300 million or more people have already been infected by COVID-19 around the world, far more than the 10 million documented cases

++“Globally, the lock-down measures have increased the number of people at risk of starvation to 1.1 billion, and they are putting at risk millions of lives,”

++“For people younger than 45, the infection fatality rate is almost 0%. For 45 to 70, it is probably about 0.05%-0.3%. For those above 70, it escalates substantially.”

++The vast majority of people who die with a COVID-19 label have at least one and typically many other comorbidities. This means that often they have other reasons that would lead them to death. The relative contribution of COVID-19 needs very careful audit and evaluation of medical records.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hong Kong

The numbers

If we had reacted early and effectively like Hong Kong a city of 7.5 million we could have had numbers like these. They had first cases about when we did and have a very dense population. They also have experienced demonstrations.

Normalizing for population

equivalent deaths in the us would be 500 not 130000 (Hong Kong 10)

Our current 7 day average of new cases would be 450 not over 45000 (Hong Kong 9)

While Hong Kong is probably the most extreme difference the basic premise holds for all of Asia.
Along those same lines, I like the Mongolian example. Little Mongolia had the best response in the world. To date, they've not had a single death.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Along those same lines, I like the Mongolian example. Little Mongolia had the best response in the world. To date, they've not had a single death.

But would you really want to live as the Mongolian people do?

The fact that country A handled their response to COVID 19 better than country B has a wide variety of factors that may have influenced the effectiveness of a response that go unrecognized.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

The fact that country A handled their response to COVID 19 better than country B has a wide variety of factors that may have influenced the effectiveness of a response that go unrecognized.
Given that yurts are a super trendy thing these days among a certain demographic (like "glamping") , who knows?

BTW I recommend you all check out the C19 stats for Timbuktu. They are kicking ass.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't like to live as the Mongolian people do. However, I think we can learn some things from them and other countries with regard to pandemic response.

I also agree that it's difficult to make a direct comparison between countries for the reasons that you mentioned. That being said, I would never have expected the USA to have one of, if not the worst responses of almost any country on Earth. Our response was abysmal from the start and we've been struggling ever since. There's going to be another one of these down the road, hopefully we're prepared next time.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I wouldn't like to live as the Mongolian people do. However, I think we can learn some things from them and other countries with regard to pandemic response.

I also agree that it's difficult to make a direct comparison between countries for the reasons that you mentioned. That being said, I would never have expected the USA to have one of, if not the worst responses of almost any country on Earth. Our response was abysmal from the start and we've been struggling ever since. There's going to be another one of these down the road, hopefully we're prepared next time.

Fair enough - I agree with you on this. Just once, I would like to see our country truly prepared for when a health crisis or natural disaster comes our way. That is what government should be but has failed to be in my adult lifetime.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Given that yurts are a super trendy thing these days among a certain demographic (like "glamping") , who knows?

BTW I recommend you all check out the C19 stats for Timbuktu. They are kicking ass.

As long as said yurt is at (or above) 6,000 feet in altitude, I am in!

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
That being said, I would never have expected the USA to have one of, if not the worst responses of almost any country on Earth.
What metric do you base this on? Certainly not death per population rate.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of the pandemic, planes did not fly from Wuhan to any destination in China (including Hong Kong) but the Chinese government allowed them to go to Europe and the US. I am not surprised that China and HK did well with the exception of Wuhan.

Is anyone surprised Mongolia has done well?

1593970100237.png

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Problem with the USA is even if you lockdown the borders there are still millions moving between states. I said from the start states or regions based on other criteria should have travel restrictions. None of this 14 day home quarantine that not everyone would follow.

it does not matter how it started in a country or how it’s going but when it ends, the final numbers and the collateral damage.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
The modern Western societies have been built on accepting and encouraging different points of view. Now that is changing, you can be eviscerated for even asking questions. You are uninformed, misguided and probably have evil motives. Not only you do not get it, you are a bad person (you choose the wallet vs. lives narrative for example).
Add "science denier", "flat earther", "grandma killer", "conspiracy theorist".

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
A huge number of the Texas "spike" is from mass testing and finally reporting results of prisons-where a large majority of the new cases are coming from. That and packing plants are clusters that get counted and suddenly recorded. As big as Texas is, with as high a prison population it's not surprising really.

But what the heck is happening in Arizona??
We can speculate about testing numbers all day, but to me, the real key is hospitalizations. People have to be really sick to be admitted, and even if they survive, the long term physical consequences of the disease are significant.

In Texas many hospitals are now reporting they are going into overload, and using a "rating scale" to determine who can be admitted ( most likely to survive estimate ). The same is happening in Arizona.

The spread has not been stopped, and in most cases it is where there is a disregard for the very simple social distancing guidelines. In Canada, where the guidelines are followed, July 3 showed 21 deaths to over 700 in the US reported that day. Most nations who follow the guidelines have the same results.

As we consider our vacation plans, and where we will travel, our decision is based on facilities that insist on compliance with the federal safe practices guidelines. We simply won't travel to where they are not enforced. We'd rather not be a statistic.

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
I am a bit confused on the bolded point @bluehende but if you mean prisons cases can spill over into the community at large, Arkansas is living proof of this. Poultry processors, retirement homes and prisons are our largest source of COVID-19 cases in the state. Once the virus enters a facility, not only does it run through the residents (or inmates) but also the staff carries the virus to the outside world. I suspect this is the case everywhere. And as @silentg notes below, the timing of the protests was idiotic and needlessly increased an already bad situation.

@Passepartout - that is something our Governor Hutchinson has been asked on more than one occassion (what would it take for our state to back up a level) and his answers (to this point anyway) have been dismissive of that possibility. I can understand not wanting to return restrictions to businesses already hurting (hemorrhaging in some cases, closed in others) but the situation in Arkansas is getting worse as we attempt to return to pre COVID-19 operating conditions. It appears we are not alone in this trend.

There are no easy answers here, but insisting on moving toward total reopening in the face of current developments is madness.

Protestors, rioters and looters have indeed added gasoline to the COVID-19 problem (and other problems) but I doubt those groups have any hint of introspective reflection in their skill set.
Protestors were wrong to not wear masks and social distance ( though now most do so ), but that does not legitimize others not doing it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I’m going to write whatever I feel is necessary. I’m sorry if you don’t like it, so feel free to block me anytime. I’m glad you appreciated some of my comments, but clearly you don’t see the insults others send my way since you haven’t corrected them. If you’re going to pretend to take the high road, at least try to do so objectively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just trying to share some constructive feedback. I know that there is a lot of back and forth between a few of you so it’s not only you. I definitely appreciate if you keep sharing some of your data and research. This is a comment for everyone not just you. It would also be helpful if folks present the data with an open mind. Everything is changing so quickly that what is true today could be different tomorrow. I am sure I have shared some articles that are no longer relevant today. I try to be open to the fact that I (and anyone else) could be wrong. My beliefs have evolved since March based on new information. I am not going to block you. Your comments do not bother me that much. I have never blocked anyone on Tug actually. If something annoys me, I usually just do not read it. I hope we can still be friends on Tug.

Last edited:

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The USA is only 4% of the world's population, but accounts for 26% of all C19 cases and 25% of all C19 deaths.

The thing is, our current situation is the result of a series of government blunders in the initial stages of our response that were completely preventable. The first mistake was when the CDC sent out those botched test kits to the state labs. This blunder caused a 6 week delay in testing, and blew any chance we had at containing this thing. Hell by the first of March we had tested a total of 1500 people when South Korea was testing 10,000 per day. Now the state and private labs had the capability to produce their own tests, but the bureaucracy at the FDA wouldn't let them until it was too late.

The blunders mentioned above are just some of the reasons I find our response to C19 unacceptable. I could understand if it were an issue of funding or resources. That's not the case here, this was a lack of competence.

Clifbell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Hilton, Westin, Marriott
I've completely adjusted my use of Timeshares as a result of Covid. And with the cases rising, it is even more important. I am in the process of downsizing to a cottage as part of an investment property. This lowers my cost to about $600/month mortgage in Arizona. I was originally planning on staying year round in Timeshares and air b'n'b's. The fact that Timeshares closed has had me change my complete approach. I now have downsized and will only start traveling in August. I will carry all my own disinfectant cleaning supplies and will not have anyone "clean" my unit. I have plenty of hand sanitizer (it is finally back in stores), masks, and gloves. I am now going to mostly out of the way timeshares like Worldmark Marina Dunes or Arizona Pinetop. But in between, I am going to stay in my little cottage that has a pool and a large park next to it. Th rise in infection rate is an added complication, but something that was expected (but I am shocked at how much it has spiked). I have see so many people in Arizona without masks and going to bars (If I need a drink, I drink at home).

I created a short video that is a summary of the post above. It can be found at

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting TED Talk from Bill Gates. He gave this talk 5 years ago and it's an accurate description of our current situation. I like the fact that he outlines useful solutions. Skip to 04:14 if you're in a hurry.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
new deaths today:

1593984108291.png

1593984151208.png

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding to @DannyTS table above, today is the fewest C19 deaths reported since 3/23. Yes, it's a Sunday of a holiday weekend, so the count may have an uptick tomorrow b/c of reporting lags. But nonetheless, we continue on a downward trend with that metric.

Based on the CDC's definition of "epidemic", the CDC very well might need to call this epidemic over for the time being.

1593990494905.png

Brett

Reaction score
Adding to @DannyTS table above, today is the fewest C19 deaths reported since 3/23. Yes, it's a Sunday of a holiday weekend, so the count may have an uptick tomorrow b/c of reporting lags. But nonetheless, we continue on a downward trend with that metric.

Based on the CDC's definition of "epidemic", the CDC very well might need to call this epidemic over for the time being.

That's wonderful news.
Now that the pandemic is over we don't have to wear silly masks and social distance.

I'm starting to feel so much better :)

eU_US.jpg

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Protestors were wrong to not wear masks and social distance ( though now most do so ), but that does not legitimize others not doing it.
....and in other news, staying home continues to be the best prevention and yet........

Status
Not open for further replies.