• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that if you agree with what I write below it will bolster your position. If you disagree, the you will disregard. Even so here goes.

Often you will see as a reason not to worry about Covid 19 because "it's no worse than the seasonal flu"

So I went to the CDC and worldometers.com for the fact related to the US. In the last flu season, from the CDC, in cases of flu reported deaths from the flu were .09%. To be clear, that isn't 9% it is less than 1%. Please don't be insulted as you probably know how %'s work, but many people don't.

Out of all cases of Covid19 reported in the US, to date the death rate is 4.6%. That is 51 times higher than death from flu. If you look at another statistic, the % of closed cases that are closed because of death is 10%. This number has moved around a lot, from a high of 21% to a low of 8%. The actual number will only be known when this pandemic ends.

Obviously the numbers can change when we are able to actually count all the cases, now unknown, and the number of deaths, not attributed to COVIC19.

The only person I know who contracted the disease, was a young man, healthy, rode bikes, exercised, did yoga, and ate healthy. He became so ill he feared he was going to die. I am so thankful he didn't. He doesn't know how he contracted it, as he and his girlfriend ordered all food delivered, didn't go out much and when the did practice distancing and wore a mask. He was able to work from home.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I know that if you agree with what I write below it will bolster your position. If you disagree, the you will disregard. Even so here goes.

Often you will see as a reason not to worry about Covid 19 because "it's no worse than the seasonal flu"

So I went to the CDC and worldometers.com for the fact related to the US. In the last flu season, from the CDC, in cases of flu reported deaths from the flu were .09%. To be clear, that isn't 9% it is less than 1%. Please don't be insulted as you probably know how %'s work, but many people don't.

Out of all cases of Covid19 reported in the US, to date the death rate is 4.6%. That is 51 times higher than death from flu. If you look at another statistic, the % of closed cases that are closed because of death is 10%. This number has moved around a lot, from a high of 21% to a low of 8%. The actual number will only be known when this pandemic ends.

Obviously the numbers can change when we are able to actually count all the cases, now unknown, and the number of deaths, not attributed to COVIC19.

The only person I know who contracted the disease, was a young man, healthy, rode bikes, exercised, did yoga, and ate healthy. He became so ill he feared he was going to die. I am so thankful he didn't. He doesn't know how he contracted it, as he and his girlfriend ordered all food delivered, didn't go out much and when the did practice distancing and wore a mask. He was able to work from home.
The problem with this "analysis" is the flu rate is based upon scientifically determined infections, not tests. Your numbers for C19, are for confirmed tests, which are estimated to be 10% or less of total infections. So the C19 death per infection number is probably closer to .2-.5%, or about 2-5x that of the flu.

And no the actual number will never be known for flu or C19 unless you could test everyone for each, every season.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with this "analysis" is the flu rate is based upon scientifically determined infections, not tests. Your numbers for C19, are for confirmed tests, which are estimated to be 10% or less of total infections. So the C19 death per infection number is probably closer to .2-.5%, or about 2-5x that of the flu.

And no the actual number will never be known for flu or C19 unless you could test everyone for each, every season.

The reality is that flu deaths are as much estimated as COVID-19 deaths.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
There is an interesting letter (within the article) from a Texas medical group. It's the only one of it's kind that I've seen and I'm curious if we will see more or of this is an anomaly. Strange days...

Best,

Greg

Wow. It is interesting how quickly someone can be on the defensive when going against the stream.

All I was doing was referencing the letter (that was written within the article) -- and yes, the article is from a Libertarian leaning group and yes, the letter was written by their General Counsel. His concern about "becoming a target" is spot on these days -- I wonder if he regrets writing the letter (to Alex Berenson, who originally reported it).

His comments are consistent with comments from others:

To reiterate, I don't know what to believe -- and I continue to wear a mask and socially distance. But I will continue to look for data that either confirms that things are as awful as headlines suggest or is the story more complicated?

I wish we would hear from doctors in other hot spots to see if there is a difference in patients that are presenting now, versus 90 days ago, and if the patients are responding differently. Wouldn't that be good to know? Shouldn't "journalists" be curious to follow this story and report on it? Even if the answer comes out that things are as awful as we are being told, that too would be good to know.

These are strange times.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

Can you please provide the source where you found the deaths from flu were 0.09%?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
One really positive development from C19, it has really curtailed people from invading my personal space, especially while waiting in lines.
Yes. I would be very happy if everyone had to stay 6 feet away from me in a store - forever.

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the main reason for the surge in cases is that people are getting together in big gatherings, at restaurants, at stores, together with family and friends, etc. without social distancing or wearing masks. When everyone was staying home, of course the virus would not spread. How could it? No one was in contact. Then the states reopened without clear guidance and boom, the cases went up because everyone thought it was safe to be social again. This is to be expected. We can’t stay home until 2021 or longer until there is a vaccine or treatment. The government needs a coordinated strategy and clear messaging and clear mandates if we are to get the cases rates back down. They are beating Covid in other countries. Other countries are reopening and cases are not soaring. Why can‘t the USA reopen safely?
Well said... people have to make the effort and act like the virus is out there.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I found the earlier misleading posts about state reopening plans disquieting. If those whom I had thought were well informed (based solely on their historical posts on TUG, as I only have met a few members over the years in person) are not, then it changes my perception of the value of TUG posts significantly. So, I thought it would be worthwhile for me to look into the details of the reopening plans for at least those states which are experiencing significant increasing positive C19 numbers and a higher Rt, starting with Florida. Hopefully this summary will be valuable to you, as well.

On April 29 Florida announced their reopening plans which started on April 30. [#'s in brackets are the C19 positive case count for Florida from https://covidtracking.com/data/state/florida#historical]
May 4: Phase One reopening. 16,081 tests, of which 819 were positive (5.09%) [36,897]
May 11: Phase One expansion (Palm Beach County and opened more business types (barbershops, salons, etc)). [40,982]
May 14: Phase One expansion (Miami-Dade and Broward Counties). [43,210]
End of May: certain areas were permitted to reopen restaurants with certain restrictions.
June 1: Miami-Dade reopened hotels and pools. [56,830]
June 5: Phase Two (all counties except Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach) may reopen more businesses (restaurants, bars, museums, gyms, retail stores, movie theaters, auditoriums, bowling alleys and more may operate at 50% occupancy); "personal services" businesses such as tattoos, piercings, acupencture, tanning and massage fully open with "appropriate safety guidelines". Specific local guidelines were announced in various Florida cities. Universal Orlando opens its parks. [61,488]
June 11: SeaWorld reopens [69,069]
June 19: Gov DeSantis not concerned about increasing C19 positive cases. https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...e-as-state-continues-to-see-increasing-cases/ [89.748]
June 20: Orange County (Orlando) mandates masks in public. [93,797]
June 26: Bars no longer to serve alcohol for on-site consumption (this restriction does not apply to restaurants). [122,960]
June 27: South Florida announces beaches will be closed for July 4th weekend. [132,545]
July 3: 49,177 tests, of which 9,488 were positive (19.29%) (https://rt.live/us/FL)
July 4: [190,052 as of 7/4/20 12:53pm ET]

In the two months since reopening began, the C19 positive case count has increased by over 500%. As of today, the Rt for Florida is at 1.30. And Florida is still open.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Florida, https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/20/timeline-the-spread-of-coronavirus-in-florida/, https://rt.live/us/FL

What is Rt (or R0)?

"Plan for Florida's Recovery: Report to Governor DeSantis from the Re-Open Florida Task Force": https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/covid19/Taskforce Report.pdf

screenshot.png

Takeaway: If the numbers get bad, Florida will not progress to the next phase. But...did they follow their own plan? No.

screenshot.png

Did this plan work? Did/do they act upon the information quickly?

Florida testing summary (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida):

screenshot.png

Florida testing sites could run out of supplies soon as COVID-19 case numbers rise [June 29]
USF doctors say ideally hundreds of thousands more people should be tested per day to get an accurate picture of where the virus is in Florida.
TAMPA, Fla. — Almost four months into fighting the coronavirus outbreak, testing sites across Florida are falling behind.

“I think all these places having so many positive cases so quickly, we got back in the same situation that we saw earlier on in the spring, which is where we're running out of testing supplies,” Dr. Jill Roberts with the University of South Florida Public Health said.

As cases surge, counties are concerned they're not testing enough -- and supplies and staffing will run thin.

A brand new drive-thru testing site at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg closed about an hour after it opened Monday because it already reached capacity.

Takeaway: insufficient testing, insufficient supplies.

And then there's this disturbing story, which validates the concern many of us have about the accuracy of any numbers coming out of the local government:

Trust Index: Just how many people has Florida tested for COVID-19?
Florida Department of Health includes coronavirus re-tests in statewide testing totals

screenshot.png

Florida would need to triple contact tracing workforce to meet pandemic criteria
According to the National Association of County and City Health Officials, during a pandemic, about 30 contact tracers are needed for every 100,000 people. The latest data show there are only eight states that meet the threshold.

In order for Florida to meet the same threshold, it would need to nearly triple its workforce to around 6,500 contact tracers.

As COVID-19 Spreads Across South Florida, Pressure Builds to Boost Contact Tracing

Takeaway: Florida is not adequately prepared for contact tracing

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    389.9 KB · Views: 11
  • screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    217.2 KB · Views: 10

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think that it is high time for some to stay away from all media and go straight to the source for information. I think that there is more of an issue with media headlines/talking points than the information itself.

Maybe that is why I am not as affected. I simply do not watch network news, and rarely local news. The news shows and the talking heads don't rile me up because they don't exist in my world. I read two newspapers, one local and one national. I'm good. I can figure things out because most companies and government agencies have....websites. You can get your own information straight from the source. Stay away from blogs too, or just read them with a bit of skepticism because they are as biased as they come. Sure they are entertaining, but do you really think that someone who writes a blog is inherently smarter than you? Feel free to do your own thinking. :)

Try it, you'll like it!

Brett

Reaction score
I think that it is high time for some to stay away from all media and go straight to the source for information. I think that there is more of an issue with media headlines/talking points than the information itself.

Maybe that is why I am not as affected. I simply do not watch network news, and rarely local news. The news shows and the talking heads don't rile me up because they don't exist in my world. I read two newspapers, one local and one national. I'm good. I can figure things out because most companies and government agencies have....websites. You can get your own information straight from the source. Stay away from blogs too, or just read them with a bit of skepticism because they are as biased as they come. Sure they are entertaining, but do you really think that someone who writes a blog is inherently smarter than you? Feel free to do your own thinking. :)

Try it, you'll like it!

I watch local and national news (NBC) and a couple of newspapers - WSJ and NYT

I don't look at the social media "blogs" and 24/7 cable shows

I don't get riled up .... ;)

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found the earlier misleading posts about state reopening plans disquieting. If those whom I had thought were well informed (based solely on their historical posts on TUG, as I only have met a few members over the years in person) are not, then it changes my perception of the value of TUG posts significantly. So, I thought it would be worthwhile for me to look into the details of the reopening plans for at least those states which are experiencing significant increasing positive C19 numbers and a higher Rt, starting with Florida. Hopefully this summary will be valuable to you, as well.

On April 29 Florida announced their reopening plans which started on April 30. [#'s in brackets are the C19 positive case count for Florida from https://covidtracking.com/data/state/florida#historical]
May 4: Phase One reopening. 16,081 tests, of which 819 were positive (5.09%) [36,897]
May 11: Phase One expansion (Palm Beach County and opened more business types (barbershops, salons, etc)). [40,982]
May 14: Phase One expansion (Miami-Dade and Broward Counties). [43,210]
End of May: certain areas were permitted to reopen restaurants with certain restrictions.
June 1: Miami-Dade reopened hotels and pools. [56,830]
June 5: Phase Two (all counties except Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach) may reopen more businesses (restaurants, bars, museums, gyms, retail stores, movie theaters, auditoriums, bowling alleys and more may operate at 50% occupancy); "personal services" businesses such as tattoos, piercings, acupencture, tanning and massage fully open with "appropriate safety guidelines". Specific local guidelines were announced in various Florida cities. Universal Orlando opens its parks. [61,488]
June 11: SeaWorld reopens [69,069]
June 19: Gov DeSantis not concerned about increasing C19 positive cases. https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...e-as-state-continues-to-see-increasing-cases/ [89.748]
June 20: Orange County (Orlando) mandates masks in public. [93,797]
June 26: Bars no longer to serve alcohol for on-site consumption (this restriction does not apply to restaurants). [122,960]
June 27: South Florida announces beaches will be closed for July 4th weekend. [132,545]
July 3: 49,177 tests, of which 9,488 were positive (19.29%) (https://rt.live/us/FL)
July 4: [190,052 as of 7/4/20 12:53pm ET]

In the two months since reopening began, the C19 positive case count has increased by over 500%. As of today, the Rt for Florida is at 1.30. And Florida is still open.

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Florida, https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/20/timeline-the-spread-of-coronavirus-in-florida/, https://rt.live/us/FL

What is Rt (or R0)?

"Plan for Florida's Recovery: Report to Governor DeSantis from the Re-Open Florida Task Force": https://www.flgov.com/wp-content/uploads/covid19/Taskforce Report.pdf

View attachment 22983

Takeaway: If the numbers get bad, Florida will not progress to the next phase. But...did they follow their own plan? No.

View attachment 22984

Did this plan work? Did/do they act upon the information quickly?

Florida testing summary (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/florida):

View attachment 22988

Florida testing sites could run out of supplies soon as COVID-19 case numbers rise [June 29]

Takeaway: insufficient testing, insufficient supplies.

And then there's this disturbing story, which validates the concern many of us have about the accuracy of any numbers coming out of the local government:

Trust Index: Just how many people has Florida tested for COVID-19?
Florida Department of Health includes coronavirus re-tests in statewide testing totals

View attachment 22987

Florida would need to triple contact tracing workforce to meet pandemic criteria

As COVID-19 Spreads Across South Florida, Pressure Builds to Boost Contact Tracing

Takeaway: Florida is not adequately prepared for contact tracing
You have commented a lot about Florida, never a negative comment about how New York has managed the crisis few weeks ago. To keep things in prospective you have the statistics below. There are more people who live in Florida than in NY (by about 2 million). You can still catch up on criticizing NY but I guess we all know why you focus on certain states all the time.

1593905436488.png

1593905541219.png

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Try it, you'll like it!

I read info from many sources, including local governments (I quoted one in my post earlier today). Sadly, local governments are often not the best source for info any longer since they are also interpreting data. In Florida’s case, they are also not classifying certain data so it’s even harder to get accurate info.

I think your real point is to always ask why. Find out more info. Make intelligent conclusions based on the evidence. For that, I agree completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
deleted

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I read info from many sources, including local governments (I quoted one in my post earlier today). Sadly, local governments are often not the best source for info any longer since they are also interpreting data. In Florida’s case, they are also not classifying certain data so it’s even harder to get accurate info.

I think your real point is to always ask why. Find out more info. Make intelligent conclusions based on the evidence. For that, I agree completely.

Our county covid site is just numbers (at least the part where I get my information). How many tested, how many positive, which zip codes, what ages etc. I wish that they were more transparent about where the community outbreaks have occurred so that I can avoid those hot spots. Is your county different?

At any rate, yes I am just saying don't feel the need to get your news predigested. Everyone on this board is smart enough to figure out timeshare systems so no one needs to trust the media as a sole source for anything. There are other ways to get some more information than just another news show. That said, I know what I know, and I know what I *don't* know and I don't presume to know more than someone who has made their career studying epidemiology, for example. I will defer to their knowledge.

Carry on tuggers!! Of to start another thread. Come join me and let's discuss your covid drinks.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
“Don’t get riled up.”

Yes, I agree. There is too much fighting over sources and what media you watch. Be chill. Smart people can sift through it all and come to reasonable conclusions. No need for so much fighting on Tug.

96D2FFD7-879C-419A-9A56-CB57361DF087.jpeg

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was going to research Arizona, California, and Texas (with Florida these are the four hot spots right now, though I expect that to change) next but it seems this info isn't desired. So much for critical thinking on TUG! Moving on... I'll chime in if needed (ie. when I next see questionable comments), but won't spend much time on this any longer other than more news when appropriate.

I, for one, do not accept the premise that we must learn to live with C19, especially since we had (and have, at least for the moment) the opportunity to flatten the curve, again.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was going to research Arizona, California, and Texas (with Florida these are the four hot spots right now, though I expect that to change) next but it seems this info isn't desired. So much for critical thinking on TUG! Moving on... I'll chime in if needed (ie. when I next see questionable comments), but won't spend much time on this any longer other than more news when appropriate.

I, for one, do not accept the premise that we must learn to live with C19, especially since we had (and have, at least for the moment) the opportunity to flatten the curve, again.

Sharing info and critical thinking is fine. It is all the fighting and insulting that needs to stop.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found the earlier misleading posts about state reopening plans disquieting. If those whom I had thought were well informed (based solely on their historical posts on TUG, as I only have met a few members over the years in person) are not, then it changes my perception of the value of TUG posts significantly.

@Ken555 Here’s an example of something you could omit when you post. There is no need to insult other people in order to share helpful information and help educate us on Tug. I appreciate the data you share but not when it is preceded with this. Then I do not read what follows. I am sure you spent a lot of valuable time researching this and it is appreciated.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score

I appreciate the information you provide. I also appreciate the information provided by those of differing views. Please continue doing what you're doing. You're fine.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
@Ken555 Here’s an example of something you could omit when you post. There is no need to insult other people in order to share helpful information and help educate us on Tug. I appreciate the data you share but not when it is preceded with this. Then I do not read what follows. I am sure you spent a lot of valuable time researching this and it is appreciated.

I’m going to write whatever I feel is necessary. I’m sorry if you don’t like it, so feel free to block me anytime. I’m glad you appreciated some of my comments, but clearly you don’t see the insults others send my way since you haven’t corrected them. If you’re going to pretend to take the high road, at least try to do so objectively.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I appreciate the information you provide. I also appreciate the information provided by those of differing views. Please continue doing what you're doing. You're fine.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.