• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
]
"About a quarter of all patients admitted to the city’s main public hospital over the past two weeks tested positive for the coronavirus, including those who came in from car crashes, heart attacks and other problems."

I don't think it's nefarious at all to think that a dr, should be testing for C19. Not sure why you inferred that from my comments. Of course, all patients in a hospital should be tested for C19, no matter why they are there. It's a contagious disease.

I'm just trying to make the point that an increase in hospitalizations isn't necessarily b/c someone walked in saying "I'm sick with C19". Now that the hospitals are open for elective surgeries, people going to the ER, etc, it stands to reason that patients will be admitted for other reasons and then discovered that they have C19. They will then be classified as a hospitalization w/C19.
Nowhere in that article does it even mention hospitals inflating covid cases which was your comment I replied to.

I actually linked to data that does show that there are increases in hospitalizations due to people walking in saying "I am sick with C19"

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard this afternoon that Los Angeles is anticipating hospital utilization at 100% next week. I’m still searching for details on this, but with the increase in cases it makes sense to me.
I saw on CBS News that L.A. hospital beds would reach 100% next month, and that one person out of 146 in L.A. County was positive and don't know it. This is serious folks!

As I see it, we are getting blasted with such an assault of information, and without any uniform guidance, that everyone is free to cherry-pick whatever set of statistics they want to back up their own opinions and prejudices. Meanwhile people get sick and many die.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Read today that where State has strict and enforced Masking Policy infection rates are going down. Where there is no Policy or Policy not enforced (Florida, Texas, California) rates are sky rocketing. When testing shows 5% or less positive it is considered under control.

By the way are you ready for the next Swine Flu coming out of guess where - China.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Read today that where State has strict and enforced Masking Policy infection rates are going down. Where there is no Policy or Policy not enforced (Florida, Texas, California) rates are sky rocketing. When testing shows 5% or less positive it is considered under control.

By the way are you ready for the next Swine Flu coming out of guess where - China.

California has a mandatory mask policy. I think parts of Florida also have mandatory mask policies. I have friends and family in FL and my friend says masks are required in Dade and Broward counties but I could be wrong. Actually, Just heard on CNN that mask mandate is being enforced in Miami with fines.

Just some anecdotal data. Today I heard we have had about 4-5 covid cases in our small country club community. We have about 300 families living here. The first reported case has already completely recovered and her husband never tested positive. The other families are currently doing a quarantine as they recover. They did contact tracing on all cases and told us when and where they had been. We get weekly updates on the status. Our club is slowing down the reopening and requiring masks, social distancing, hand hygiene, etc.

Also, anyone in California who reports possible symptoms to their doctor is sent for Covid testing first to rule it out before looking at other possibilities. This happened to me and I tested negative, then we figured out the source of my symptoms and I am recovering now.

I have always been more concerned about death rates than cases. I always assumed that when the re-openings started, that cases would go up. I think the media should do more reporting on death rates and compare that to other countries. We might not actually be as bad off as it seems. More testing = more cases. Younger people getting sick = less deaths. Most people do not get severely ill and most recover. Many people are asymptomatic. This has not changed from the beginning of the outbreak. Only the numbers are changing.

I joined a FB group of people who have recovered from Covid. There is some positive news in that group. There was a great story yesterday of someone who has recovered, he has a positive attitude and he is challenging himself to exercise and get involved with life. Of course, I assume that this group would self select so its members would have had more serious cases than average.

I am ready to start carefully getting out of my house. This weekend, we are having some friends over for July 4th weekend. I have not seen them since Thanksgiving so this will be fun. We are just staying home and hanging out, taking walks, eating good meals and going in the pool. I am hoping to drive down to Morgan Hill to visit some other friends as soon as they have time.

I am also looking into volunteer opportunities with CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). I was previously approved to volunteer but for personal reasons I did not move forward. The email said "During the pandemic, there has been an immense increase in youth who have been removed from their homes and placed in foster care due to neglect and abuse." I think the timing is right to do something meaningful for my community. I am hoping my approval is still valid so I can participate in the August training. It is being done by Zoom due to Covid. This is a very sad outcome of Covid. To me, abusing children is worse than dying from Covid.

I have been busy this week in looking on how to live my post Covid life. Nothing will be the same anymore, at least not for awhile, but I am tired of isolating at home if there are safe ways to get out.

BTW, I think we are past the mask debate. I was skeptical in the beginning when the advice first changed but I have bought into it for now. (Thanks to TUG, you guys influenced me so these threads do work!) I do not debate it anymore. Like I said in months prior, I have always worn a mask in case it helps. My blue masks finally arrived so I have a good supply now. My husband also found a package of 50 in the store. I think everyone should wear a mask. It is the right thing to do based on what we know today. I wish we had a federal mandate or a consistent state mandate in every state. I am tired of seeing massless people protesting for their rights to spread the disease. The country is in trouble and we need to work together to defeat Covid.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
@TravelTime You are a good person. What you are doing for CASA touches my heart

Thank you! I emailed the coordinator today to see if my approval is still valid and what the next steps are. I'll let you know if I qualify.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm not challenging you on this post, just confused -- I thought I read that CA has a statewide mask policy.

Maybe it's new enough that the policy hasn't "kicked in".

Hard to keep track & to make sense of it all.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not challenging you on this post, just confused -- I thought I read that CA has a statewide mask policy.

Hard to keep track & to make sense of it all.

Yes we have a mandatory mask policy in CA and more people are complying. There is very high compliance in the urban/suburban areas from what I hear and growing compliance in the semi-rural and rural areas. I think mask usage is up from before the mandate but this is just anecdotal and I do not have a study to support it.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
...I am also looking into volunteer opportunities with CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). I was previously approved to volunteer but for personal reasons I did not move forward. The email said "During the pandemic, there has been an immense increase in youth who have been removed from their homes and placed in foster care due to neglect and abuse." I think the timing is right to do something meaningful for my community. I am hoping my approval is still valid so I can participate in the August training. It is being done by Zoom due to Covid. This is a very sad outcome of Covid. To me, abusing children is worse than dying from Covid...

If this is the same CASA as we have around here, (and I believe it to be), high marks to you @TravelTime for doing this! As you might recall, I work in a public school at the elementary level and the stories we both know all too well about what kids have to endure is heart breaking. I see a steady increase in the number of kids coming from single parent homes and it is much more likely those kids are going to find trouble than kids from 2 parent households where mom and dad are both actively parenting. To be sure, there are some single parent households doing an unbelievable job but the odds are so stacked against them. CASA (at least in our area) advocates operate as a guide for the child through the legal system and offer perspectives to the judge about what is best for the child. It is a hard job that (unfortunately) has a lot of demand these days. Best of luck to you as you pursue this!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
California has a mandatory mask policy. I think parts of Florida also have mandatory mask policies. I have friends and family in FL and my friend says masks are required in Dade and Broward counties but I could be wrong. Actually, Just heard on CNN that mask mandate is being enforced in Miami with fines.

Just some anecdotal data. Today I heard we have had about 4-5 covid cases in our small country club community. We have about 300 families living here. The first reported case has already completely recovered and her husband never tested positive. The other families are currently doing a quarantine as they recover. They did contact tracing on all cases and told us when and where they had been. We get weekly updates on the status. Our club is slowing down the reopening and requiring masks, social distancing, hand hygiene, etc.

Also, anyone in California who reports possible symptoms to their doctor is sent for Covid testing first to rule it out before looking at other possibilities. This happened to me and I tested negative, then we figured out the source of my symptoms and I am recovering now.

I have always been more concerned about death rates than cases. I always assumed that when the re-openings started, that cases would go up. I think the media should do more reporting on death rates and compare that to other countries. We might not actually be as bad off as it seems. More testing = more cases. Younger people getting sick = less deaths. Most people do not get severely ill and most recover. Many people are asymptomatic. This has not changed from the beginning of the outbreak. Only the numbers are changing.

I joined a FB group of people who have recovered from Covid. There is some positive news in that group. There was a great story yesterday of someone who has recovered, he has a positive attitude and he is challenging himself to exercise and get involved with life. Of course, I assume that this group would self select so its members would have had more serious cases than average.

I am ready to start carefully getting out of my house. This weekend, we are having some friends over for July 4th weekend. I have not seen them since Thanksgiving so this will be fun. We are just staying home and hanging out, taking walks, eating good meals and going in the pool. I am hoping to drive down to Morgan Hill to visit some other friends as soon as they have time.

I am also looking into volunteer opportunities with CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates). I was previously approved to volunteer but for personal reasons I did not move forward. The email said "During the pandemic, there has been an immense increase in youth who have been removed from their homes and placed in foster care due to neglect and abuse." I think the timing is right to do something meaningful for my community. I am hoping my approval is still valid so I can participate in the August training. It is being done by Zoom due to Covid. This is a very sad outcome of Covid. To me, abusing children is worse than dying from Covid.

I have been busy this week in looking on how to live my post Covid life. Nothing will be the same anymore, at least not for awhile, but I am tired of isolating at home if there are safe ways to get out.

BTW, I think we are past the mask debate. I was skeptical in the beginning when the advice first changed but I have bought into it for now. (Thanks to TUG, you guys influenced me so these threads do work!) I do not debate it anymore. Like I said in months prior, I have always worn a mask in case it helps. My blue masks finally arrived so I have a good supply now. My husband also found a package of 50 in the store. I think everyone should wear a mask. It is the right thing to do based on what we know today. I wish we had a federal mandate or a consistent state mandate in every state. I am tired of seeing massless people protesting for their rights to spread the disease. The country is in trouble and we need to work together to defeat Covid.
In FL the Governor over rode local mask requirements up to june 19. Miami put theirs in on june 23.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If this is the same CASA as we have around here, (and I believe it to be), high marks to you @TravelTime for doing this! As you might recall, I work in a public school at the elementary level and the stories we both know all too well about what kids have to endure is heart breaking. I see a steady increase in the number of kids coming from single parent homes and it is much more likely those kids are going to find trouble than kids from 2 parent households where mom and dad are both actively parenting. To be sure, there are some single parent households doing an unbelievable job but the odds are so stacked against them. CASA (at least in our area) advocates operate as a guide for the child through the legal system and offer perspectives to the judge about what is best for the child. It is a hard job that (unfortunately) has a lot of demand these days. Best of luck to you as you pursue this!

I think it is the same CASA. There are CASAs in various counties throughout the USA, from what I understand. The concept is the same but tailored to the needs of the county.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

It is only a week or two old, so that may be the case.

It is interesting looking at Colorado (my home) data. We only had a state-wide recommendation for masks, but a few counties have issued orders. My county issued mask orders mid-May, and looking at the current data, it is doing much better than most counties despite being one of the more populated counties. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Kurt

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
That may be so. I am a bit tired of debating this.

So am I. It’s just absurd to say or imply that more tests create more cases. It doesn’t work like that... we need more testing so we know more accurately how many true cases there are. Testing doesn’t create cases...

No, more testing doesn’t explain the rise of covid-19 cases in the U.S.

WHO says record coronavirus numbers is not just because of more testing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
More testing will show fewer cases than less testing? :shrug: :wall:

See above. That’s not the issue.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
So am I. It’s just absurd to say or imply that more tests create more cases. It doesn’t work like that... we need more testing so we know more accurately how many true cases there are. Testing doesn’t create cases...

Who said more testing creates more cases? Clearly, more testing will show more positive cases, unless there aren't any.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

Do you feel like people comply with the mask order in your county ? WE have a state-wide mask order and I feel that there is very high compliance where I live. Certainly not all, but a large percentage of people are wearing them in stores, for instance.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s just absurd to say or imply that more tests create more cases. It doesn’t work like that...
Of course it doesn't. More tests DETECT more cases. Which is why "new cases" is a useless measure of the effect of Covid-19. The end result, deaths, is a "truer" measure of the effect of Covid-19.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Who said more testing creates more cases? Clearly, more testing will show more positive cases, unless there aren't any.

When someone posts “more testing = more cases” (scroll up for the post) it’s either an incomplete thought or they mean testing creates cases. Absolutely more testing will discover more cases, but the current estimate is that we have significantly more cases than we think, as some of us postulated here months ago. I suspect you and I actually agree on how this is done.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Do you feel like people comply with the mask order in your county ? WE have a state-wide mask order and I feel that there is very high compliance where I live. Certainly not all, but a large percentage of people are wearing them in stores, for instance.

I’m in Los Angeles. We have had a mask requirement since mid-May. Yes, I think most people are wearing masks.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Of course it doesn't. More tests DETECT more cases. Which is why "new cases" is a useless measure of the effect of Covid-19.

It’s my understanding that the reason for testing is to confirm how prevalent the disease has spread, not that they are seeking “new cases”.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that the reason for testing is to confirm how prevalent the disease has spread, not that they are seeking “new cases”.
It is my understanding that Covid-19 testing is mostly on the order of a doctor for patients presenting Covid-19 symptoms. It has nothing to do with the prevalence of the spread, which would be based on random testing.

If this is true, the actual infection rate or death rate could be flattened or going down while the "new positive case rate" goes up.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It is my understanding that Covid-19 testing is mostly on the order of a doctor for patients presenting Covid-19 symptoms. It has nothing to do with the prevalence of the spread, which would be based on random testing.

If this is true, the actual infection rate or death rate could be flattened or going down while the "new positive case rate" goes up.

Of course testing is important for those who believe they have C19. But the reason experts keep saying we need much more testing is because they want to know the full extent of the spread. So yes, two goals. I really didn’t think I needed to state the obvious about testing those who are sick, but I guess I should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.