• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Here’s another post I read by a columnist I follow:

“Los Angeles County is an epicenter of new #coronavirus cases (positive tests), causing Disneyland to delay its reopening. Which is weird, because LA County had one of strictest lockdowns in the country.

I was there last week when it was just lifted. Almost no one was out, and everyone was wearing masks. I was at LAX twice, and it was all but dead both days. Took less than 10 minutes to get through TSA. Took only 20 minutes or so to commute from LAX to Burbank and back the other way a couple of days later, which is typically unheard of. Even got to make an impromptu stop at the Rose Bowl there was so little traffic. My Uber driver told me his company's stats report they're at 20% their normal business in the county. Restaurants had no wait every day I was there.

So then why the surge? If lockdowns work and save us all, how do you explain Los Angeles County?“
Lockdowns do not stop you from going to the grocery store, talking or going to neighbors homes, family gatherings, etc.
They cannot police everyone. In fact it is mostly voluntary. If it is like my neighborhood, many not wearing masks in stores, neighbors talking to each other within inches with no masks, parties going on in neighbors homes as well as family gatherings, etc.. This happened during lockdown and is even worse now.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Lockdowns do not stop you from going to the grocery store, talking or going to neighbors homes, family gatherings, etc.
They cannot police everyone. In fact it is mostly voluntary. If it is like my neighborhood, many not wearing masks in stores, neighbors talking to each other within inches with no masks, parties going on in neighbors homes as well as family gatherings, etc.. This happened during lockdown and is even worse now.
My sil can't understand why we won't come over to her house for appetizers and drinks (along with at least one other couple). She can't understand why we won't go to a dine in restaurant as they had a lovely time and a great meal last night for her birthday. My husband can't understand why she isn't being more cautious. I'm finding I'm getting very used to our closed in little bubble. We do get out for the necessary things. We just limit our contact. Most of our neighbors are doing the same.

We usually have a huge 4th of July party at our house. Not one of our neighbors or friends have asked if we are having it this year.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My sil can't understand why we won't come over to her house for appetizers and drinks (along with at least one other couple). She can't understand why we won't go to a dine in restaurant as they had a lovely time and a great meal last night for her birthday. My husband can't understand why she isn't being more cautious. I'm finding I'm getting very used to our closed in little bubble. We do get out for the necessary things. We just limit our contact. Most of our neighbors are doing the same.

I don’t understand it either but I respect everyone’s level of comfort. For some people I think they are too cautious; others I think aren’t cautious enough. For me and my husband, we go for balance between the two.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

We usually have a huge 4th of July party at our house. Not one of our neighbors or friends have asked if we are having it this year.
Wish my neighbors were being careful. Most are not. A party is at a neighbors house for July 4. I was invited and am not going. Getting the mail today I passed 8 residents. Only one was wearing a mask plus me. This is only the second person I ever saw since the virus started wearing a mask in our indoor mail room. Some socialize in there too.

I was ready to go to NYC and the NJ shore To visit with mom. Now now. No way I will stay locked inside an apartment or small shore home. At home at least I have a nice backyard and can go out walking. My mom is unhappy with Cuomo because of the new rules. She keeps insisting we don’t have to follow them. I told her I can’t take that chance.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don’t understand it either but I respect everyone’s level of comfort. For some people I think they are too cautious; others I think aren’t cautious enough. For me and my husband, we go for balance between the two.
If you knew my dh you might understand. I don't think he is too cautious. He is relying on information he's getting from studies, and also from friends of his who are, or were, in the medical field. I know he's done more research than I have and I'm fine following his lead.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you knew my dh you might understand. I don't think he is too cautious. He is relying on information he's getting from studies, and also from friends of his who are, or were, in the medical field. I know he's done more research than I have and I'm fine following his lead.

Again, I don’t criticize anyone’s level of comfort. Everyone has to do what they think is best for themselves and their family.

On the other side of the coin, I do not criticize people who are much less cautious than I am.

Everyone’s level of comfort is different and I understand that.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Again, I don’t criticize anyone’s level of comfort. Everyone has to do what they think is best for themselves and their family.

On the other side of the coin, I do not criticize people who are much less cautious than I am.

Everyone’s level of comfort is different and I understand that.
You are much nicer than I am then. If I feel someone is not being cautious by ignoring social distancing, not wearing a mask to protect others (even when it is mandated) and basically being irresponsible I will criticize them.

Brett

Reaction score
You are much nicer than I am then. If I feel someone is not being cautious by ignoring social distancing, not wearing a mask to protect others (even when it is mandated) and basically being irresponsible I will criticize them.

I don't openly criticize - just hope the people not wearing a mask indoors or at large public gatherings do not have the coronavirus

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
As a hospital worker, I’ve been a little disappointed in the cavalier attitude of the majority of people when out in the stores. When outdoors and able to social distance, no problem. Even small social gatherings if they’re held outdoors don’t worry me as much. But dinner parties, birthday parties et... bother me.

I blame the media. They slammed the churches for gathering, then supported the protesters without question. They shamed a large pool party but had no issue with one man having three huge funeral services. We haven’t been able to have a service for my MIL who passed away a few weeks ago.

People notice these inconsistencies in the media, then they ignore them.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
As a hospital worker, I’ve been a little disappointed in the cavalier attitude of the majority of people when out in the stores. When outdoors append able to social distance, no problem. Even small social gatherings if they’re held outdoors don’t worry me as much. But dinner parties, birthday parties et... bother me.

I blame the media. They slammed the churches for gathering, then supported the protesters without question. They shamed a large pool party but had no issue with one man having three huge funeral services. We haven’t been able to have a service for my MIL who passed away a few weeks ago.

So one man having three funerals causes people not to wear masks indoors?

yeah, it's the "media inconsistencies" ... that's who we should blame ..... nothing about leadership .....:rolleyes::poop:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
....level of comfort. Everyone has to do what they think is best for themselves and their family.
Everyone’s level of comfort is different

Sorry, but this condoning of non-compliant people and their unsafe practices is exactly what is contributing to the problem :wall:
and to the explosion of new cases. They are not just passive onlookers "who hold an opinion",
but in fact they are contributing to the spread! "Thinking what's best for their family" is faulty thinking.
They're no different from the Florida Spring Breakers.
We must not only be vigilant to do right, but to call out those that don't. Those people do affect (and infect) us!!!
Regardless of what you think, these people are direct threats to us.....They can pass it on!!!
Didn't Jim Jones once say to his "family":
"Here, drink this Kool Aid and it'll be good for all of us..."

Last edited:

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I read this this morning:

“Lowest reported deaths from #coronavirus on a Wednesday since before the pandemic began.“

“To be clear, in Houston, the percentage of beds occupied by COVID patients is currently 12.9%. In Austin, the percentage of beds occupied by COVID patients is 10.2%.” Carrie Williams, Texas Hospital Association.

I think there is a lot of lying going on in the press and by some government officials. Something is not right with all the conflicting info.
Agreed. Information is being taken out of context. The number of cases is NOT making the news here. Yes, we've been told to wear masks. And frankly, we are still in semi-quarantine mode. We are not fully reopened. There are lots of things I'd like to do, but places are not open.
As a hospital worker, I’ve been a little disappointed in the cavalier attitude of the majority of people when out in the stores. When outdoors append able to social distance, no problem. Even small social gatherings if they’re held outdoors don’t worry me as much. But dinner parties, birthday parties et... bother me.

My deepest sympathies for your loss. I am so sorry! This was my greatest fear early on - that I would lose one of my parents and there would be no funeral. Again, I am so sorry. It's awful.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We haven’t been able to have a service for my MIL who passed away a few weeks ago.
My condolences to you. It's never easy, but it's so much worse during this pandemic. Not only did my Auntie die alone in the hospital, there have been no services. She died in March! All of her siblings are in their 80's. We can't take any chances with them getting sick so it is in an indefinite holding pattern for now.

I do think that when everyone saw the protesters they just figured "why bother" and decided to get lazy or defiant about wearing a mask. My goodness, it's a stupid mask. It is definitely better than doing nothing. It is not a huge sacrifice. And the difference that we can make collectively is huge to someone else. Someone's grandma may not die from covid. We could have a funeral for my Auntie. Tuggers could take vacations. Bars and restaurant workers could go back to work. People on unemployment could go back to work. None of that is going to happen until we buckle down and get this under control. So just wear the mask and be a part of the solution. Please.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And I know that this is spitting into the wind, but it's just not that hard to fact check things on the internet. If you have a problem with the media then just do some quick searches for source documents. There will be clues in the media reports as to what sources they are using so you can use those as a starting point then look for others. That way, when you share the information, you know that what you are saying is at least somewhat accurate. Otherwise, you are doing the same thing as the media, alluding to things, telling only half of a story, taking things out of context etc.

My time here on the soapbox has come to an end. ;)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
So one man having three funerals causes people not to wear masks indoors?

yeah, it's the "media inconsistencies" ... that's who we should blame ..... nothing about leadership .....:rolleyes::poop:
@Brett - please strive to be the exceptional old dog.

Brett

Reaction score
And I know that this is spitting into the wind, but it's just not that hard to fact check things on the internet. If you have a problem with the media then just do some quick searches for source documents. There will be clues in the media reports as to what sources they are using so you can use those as a starting point then look for others. That way, when you share the information, you know that what you are saying is at least somewhat accurate. Otherwise, you are doing the same thing as the media, alluding to things, telling only half of a story, taking things out of context etc.

My time here on the soapbox has come to an end. ;)

"There will be clues in the media reports"

You are correct. ;)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"There will be clues in the media reports"

You are correct. ;)
To use as a starting point. Go ahead and fact check them. Be skeptical. Do some critical thinking. But for goodness sake, spend a couple of minutes fact checking yourself before repeating the information. Btw, this is not directed at anyone in particular. Well, except maybe my dad who uses facebook solely to disseminate his version of the "news", none of which is fact checked lol. :wall:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
supported the protesters without question.\

I watch all three big cable network news channels. Your premise is not correct. There was a parade of health experts on two of the networks including interviews with Fauci warning of the dangers of protesting during a pandemic and the certainty that it will result in new cases. The other network cannot be discussed without getting into social issues even more contentious than the pandemic. We may quibble about how much they should have been warning but to say without question is far from the truth.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you were told you could take a medicine that would reduce your chance of catching COVID-19 by 5x? Would you take it?

There is!

That's what wearing a mask does!!!

Jim

Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
There have been scientific explanations ad infinitum, both online and here on TUG.
Charts, videos of aerosol/droplet spread, interviews, journal articles, CDC reports, American Medical Assoc reports,
TV ads, and much much more.

What planet are you from?

And the proof is that it's spreading exponentially upon this "Great ReOpening" strictly because
people are NOT taking it seriously. Like you, not wearing a protective mask except where it's mandated (and many not even then).
I truly hope you will just be lucky, because that'll be the only reason.

Addendum:
(I've never received an "Angry" before, but for the reasons I suppose I did, I still feel I must state the truth......so I'll wear that Angry proudly.
I have read and contemplated all of your posts on the pandemic and your disdain for wearing protective masks for nothing other than
political and personal reasons, and I'll take a disagreement from you anytime. Thank you for the opportunity to say more.
All I can say is I am angry too....probably more than you are.......angry at those who are causing more problems by exacerbating the spread
of this deadly disease when they could be more compliant. They are wantonly flaunting what science has taught us.
Statistics bear it out that this "ReOpening" has resulted in an explosion of new cases (reinforcing my original premise, by the way),
which will again cause undue catastrophic damage to the economy and to families who will lose loved ones.
For everyone not to do their part in the mitigation of this pandemic is ludicrous, and frankly, selfish. It doesn't take much effort.
Look at what happened during Spring Break in Florida by virtue of "no masks", and what is happening now.....they too "left home without it".

Not to mention what it's doing to the thousands of front-line physicians and support professionals...they are actually dying while serving others.
I don't want anything to happen to my family, to your family, or to all of our professions---mine has already been affected catastrophically.
Sorry, but at some point you must acknowledge that the "mask-wearing" is more of an issue than you gave it credit for six weeks ago.
Keep your eyes open for what I believe is happening.

My point in that post was that if one walks thru a crazy-busy intersection at rush hour and doesn't get hit, he's lucky.
Likewise, if he habitually doesn't wear a mask except in mandatory situations and doesn't get infected with, or spread, coronavirus,
again he's nothing but lucky. I was hoping he would be lucky.)

Maybe angry should read...I will wear a mask. The empirical satistics actual prove masks to be about useless. Why? Probably because there is zero way to test one method against another. And actually the same data says separation did not slow the spread. Data from this world. Not sorry fror asking questons or having a different opinion.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Wearing masks and staying isolated at home has made a difference. Virtually every major medical expert and health statistician that I have read says exactly that, and like others, I do a lot of reading and research.

Wearing a mask when in a public setting is more about keeping others safe in case you unknowingly have the virus, than it is about preventing you from getting it. It is a small sacrifice, but if everyone practices it, it helps prevent spread. A very simple concept, just as limiting your circle of contacts ("bubble") and limiting unnecessary travel also helps.

There is a lot of "disinformation" out there. There are people promoting inaccurate information for their own selfish ends in some cases. Plus some people are looking for "facts" that will support them in their own behaviour. Unfortunately, that disinformation and those inaccuracies are not just dangerous, but deadly!

The article below discusses the inaccuracy of the oft restated myth about Covid-19 being less deadly than the annual common flu. We certainly heard that being trotted out regularly here in these forums, particularly in the early days, as to why a lockdown was unnecessary. :wall:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Ironically this just popped up on my Facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.