• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett

Reaction score
That is truly a large national news outlet! Yesterday alone it probably reached tens of millions of people! ;) I think what I said is obvious, news is promoted, minimized or completely ignored I depending on certain factors.

tens of millions, hundreds of millions .... but not you ;)

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweden continues to do very well reinforcing the idea that the initial shutdown only pushed the the number of infections for few weeks but it it does not change the total number of deaths on a longer period of time.

Sweden's Nordic neighbors did lock down and almost virtually eliminated deaths by the end of May. In other words, their lockdowns did change the total number of deaths.

1594739639154.png

geekette

Reaction score
Is this a philosophical question or a practical one? Is this part of a larger poll on TUGBBS or it is just about me? Are you going to ask the same question to everyone or just the ones you do not agree with?
I'm just telling you WE HEAR YOU on your deep dislike of US media. You've beaten that drum plenty. If you don't like how "promotion" goes, what are you doing to solve it? Or, do you just want to complain?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweden's Nordic neighbors did lock down and almost virtually eliminated deaths by the end of May. In other words, their lockdowns did change the total number of deaths.

View attachment 23595

Lockdowns:

Norway - March 12th
Denmark - March 13th
Finland - March 16th

If you look at the chart that you posted, in late March-early April the number of deaths in Sweden was already few times higher than in the other countries. At that time the effect of the lockdowns in Norway, Denmark and Finland was not a factor in their numbers. For some reasons (spring break? differences in public transit? bad luck?) Sweden started from a much higher number of infected people when they began to test aggressively late March-early April in the region.

But if you look at the trends after mid-April they are all declining even if Sweden was supposed to be catastrophic if you believed the initial models.

In a top of all countries and states, Sweden is number sixteen in terms of most deaths per 100,000 people and they actually keep on dropping in that chart because other countries and states continue to rise. This makes it difficult to assist the theory that the lockdown was so successful in the US or in Europe and that it should be repeated.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm just telling you WE HEAR YOU on your deep dislike of US media. You've beaten that drum plenty. If you don't like how "promotion" goes, what are you doing to solve it? Or, do you just want to complain?
Few days ago somebody shared a link with archives from old newspapers and I briefly browsed through some headlines from 1933. One article was about why they did not report the bankruptcies of a large number of banks in that region. It was of public interest but they just did not want to do it because they thought it was not in the interest of the local economy to report it. They were not making an excuse, their point was that it was for the better good, at least in their view.

I am not complaining, I am sharing. I do not dislike, I observe. Although I mentioned the European outlets, it was in this context of reporting the Covid news about US because they can be more detached when it is not about them. There is good and bad journalism everywhere like in any other profession. There is nothing to do about it, you and I are not going to change it since it has been like this from the beginning of the media in all countries. Maybe you have suggestions in case you believe it can be improved/solved but in my opinion it is what it is.

I am not sure why people become so sensitive if media is criticized. I understand I have done it more than once but there are a million repeated comments about everything else and they did not rub people the wrong way. If you tell me a good reason, I am very open to listen. If you think it is more appropriate in a PM so that we do not bore others with this topic I am also OK with that.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
OK, honestly, I do not know if the CA governor's "orders" apply to the "whole state" or only "30 counties." Very confusing.

This is quite easy. I already posted the rules. The entire state is required to close down restaurants and some other businesses. Then there is a morre stringent order for counties on the watch list. So I think @DannyTS was right.

—————-

California is largely closing again amid a spike in COVID-19 cases across the state, as Gov. Gavin Newsom announced statewide restrictions Monday to again halt all indoor dining and close bars, zoos and museums.

Newsom also imposed more stringent restrictions in 30 counties, including Los Angeles, Napa, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura. In those counties, gyms, places of worship, non-critical offices, personal care services, hair salons, barbershops and malls must close all indoor operations.

In addition, offices with nonessential workers in those counties must close.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY

Anecdotal with an N of 1: DD was tested in the greater Charleston area a week ago b.c. middle son had C-19 and she was experiencing slight headache and slight sore throat. Her results will not be available for another 10 days. (She reports feeling fine.) Youngest gransdson went elsewhere the same day as she and got his negative results on Saturday. DSiL also negative but I don"t know when he was tested.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The southern part of Europe did just get slammed early on. At the time, there was no experience as to how to treat coVid-19, no promising drugs, no nothing. These places did lock down and as Danny notes, they are now opening up. New York, Michigan, Washington also got slammed early. Florida wisely wouldn't let anyone from New York enter their state. (A variation of a lockdown.) Now all of these places, which got slammed for locking down, are doing much better, opening up. Ironically, NY doesn't want people travelling from Florida.

If you look back over recent posts, we see some that publish numbers that include all of their early cases and deaths with the intent of showing how bad these places are. (They locked up, look at how bad they are.) Okay, so southern Europe was really bad. The numbers prove that. But, now these European nations are doing comparitively well versus the US, so much so that they are refusing to allow American tourists to come much like NY now doesn't want visitors from Florida. (I might mention that I have a friend who lives in France who says that the lack of American tourists in her area is largely being made up for by Chinese tourists. Isn't that a kicker.)

Yes, we should look at why Europe which was so awful can now afford to open up while we are heading downhill. Just maybe it was because they locked down and did so tightly. Cetainly there has to be some explanation as to why we are going in just the opposite direction from them.
Europe did lock down tightly and followed the phases. If the magic number wasnt reached, we remained in the same phase. Right now Portugal is having trouble in greater Lisbon. The rest of the country is in a different phase. Movie theaters, sports arenas, bars have never opened. No fairs, concerts. I think it has alot to do with it. Each state has been on a different schedule.

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex

Many, if not most people will get the virus- either with symptoms or without. (OK- some will be lucky and not get it). That is the way it is. You can shame people all you want for not wearing masks and not social distancing (which is still suspect as to mass effectiveness), but people are human beings and will never 100 percent conform to all these dictates.

So I go back to my own philosophy on living my life the best I can throughout this. I am generally not scared so I go out. I socialize in very small groups- walking, boating, cocktail parties. No masks and no distancing. I have shaken hands and hugged a couple of people. My son visits us now and I hug him when I see him.

An interesting opinion, to which you are entitled, of course. The same holds true for highway speeding and covering a "regular" sneeze; 100% compliance is not realistic. The concept of speed limits strikes me as sensible; when I fail to comply, I can't claim not to understand this attempt to address public safety or that I am somehow exempt. I cover my sneezes because the behavior is too deeply ingrained as good manners and public hygiene and costs me nothing. I admit it - I cover my sneeze even when I'm alone in a room. Now, with a highly contagious airborne virus that may sideline me but kill my neighbor AND given relatively low-cost, low-risk options to help curb a very real problem that affects at least enough of us to support this thread, why not accept mild inconvenience to protect others especially given the number who are unreachable or else inclined to use the unreachable as cover?

Congratulations on the luxury of choices necessary to support your philosophy. My own philosophy is one that cannot disregard the balance between my choices and potential harm to OTHERS or consign asthmatics, hypertensives, diabetics, and other immunocompromised persons to their respective homes so I can go play however I like. Nor can I pretend that making my next-door neighbor, a 3d-grade teacher, "choose" between going to work (income, career) and staying home so as not to inadvertently infect her Type I diabetic husband, asthmatic son or her elderly mother is fair or even reasonable. Unless the very question runs counter to your philosophy, what would you choose in that situation? As the immunocompromised (MS, in remission) but longtime employee of a small business owner that caters to the public, which would you "choose": update your will and work or quit and stay home? Maybe your philosophy would dismiss each question without consideration as "her problem, not mine." If so, then I grant the consistency in logic. Party on.

I do not mean to be personal. I don't mean to debate because I doubt my ability to persuade. I mean only to express, as civilly as possible, my own frustration with a philosophy that is quite popular here in Texas. Months into watching others celebrate life, cavorting from salon to cocktail parties to family gatherings, even as area hospitalizations reach capacity and other countries reopen with greater stability, I puzzle over a worldview that so minimizes the role of personal responsibility for the individual who functions within a society comprised of other individuals. I don't know from mask shaming, but can't celebrate a person's choice to opt out of low-cost, low-risk measures to help protect the less "invincible" from real harm. Name the residual emotion whatever you like: disappointment, shame, resentment, Fred, or Scooter. In the grand scheme of all things pandemic, my own philosophy allows me to care relatively less for the feelings of those who opt out of simple preventive measures and messaging for whatever reason ... but I wear my mask around them anyway. #yourewelcome

I sincerely wish you (all) continued good health, if only to limit the potential impact on the health of all you encounter who hope to continue productive lives despite dramatically different sets of "choices." "Public health" means that we both matter, as do our actions, even when we'd prefer to think otherwise.

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
so the coronavirus is causing people to buy guns and kill each other - but only in certain areas.
That's what you think I was implying? Which is why you limited your quote of my post to two words, "It seems"?

I was responding to a post that said:
"New York ... gun violence is the highest we have seen in 25 years But they have done a good job:ponder: compared to Texas[?]"

I thought it would be useful to look at homicide rates in NYC versus a Texas city that has about the same number of murders and about the same year-on-year percentage increase. Houston was a good fit for absolute numbers, but adjusted for population the Houston rate is about 3.5 times that of New York.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
An interesting opinion, to which you are entitled, of course. The same holds true for highway speeding and covering a "regular" sneeze; 100% compliance is not realistic. The concept of speed limits strikes me as sensible; when I fail to comply, I can't claim not to understand this attempt to address public safety or that I am somehow exempt. I cover my sneezes because the behavior is too deeply ingrained as good manners and public hygiene and costs me nothing. I admit it - I cover my sneeze even when I'm alone in a room. Now, with a highly contagious airborne virus that may sideline me but kill my neighbor AND given relatively low-cost, low-risk options to help curb a very real problem that affects at least enough of us to support this thread, why not accept mild inconvenience to protect others especially given the number who are unreachable or else inclined to use the unreachable as cover?

Congratulations on the luxury of choices necessary to support your philosophy. My own philosophy is one that cannot disregard the balance between my choices and potential harm to OTHERS or consign asthmatics, hypertensives, diabetics, and other immunocompromised persons to their respective homes so I can go play however I like. Nor can I pretend that making my next-door neighbor, a 3d-grade teacher, "choose" between going to work (income, career) and staying home so as not to inadvertently infect her Type I diabetic husband, asthmatic son or her elderly mother is fair or even reasonable. Unless the very question runs counter to your philosophy, what would you choose in that situation? As the immunocompromised (MS, in remission) but longtime employee of a small business owner that caters to the public, which would you "choose": update your will and work or quit and stay home? Maybe your philosophy would dismiss each question without consideration as "her problem, not mine." If so, then I grant the consistency in logic. Party on.

I do not mean to be personal. I don't mean to debate because I doubt my ability to persuade. I mean only to express, as civilly as possible, my own frustration with a philosophy that is quite popular here in Texas. Months into watching others celebrate life, cavorting from salon to cocktail parties to family gatherings, even as area hospitalizations reach capacity and other countries reopen with greater stability, I puzzle over a worldview that so minimizes the role of personal responsibility for the individual who functions within a society comprised of other individuals. I don't know from mask shaming, but can't celebrate a person's choice to opt out of low-cost, low-risk measures to help protect the less "invincible" from real harm. Name the residual emotion whatever you like: disappointment, shame, resentment, Fred, or Scooter. In the grand scheme of all things pandemic, my own philosophy allows me to care relatively less for the feelings of those who opt out of simple preventive measures and messaging for whatever reason ... but I wear my mask around them anyway. #yourewelcome

I sincerely wish you (all) continued good health, if only to limit the potential impact on the health of all you encounter who hope to continue productive lives despite dramatically different sets of "choices." "Public health" means that we both matter, as do our actions, even when we'd prefer to think otherwise.

There it is! Virtue signaling. I’m not going there. No debate from me. You’re not dragging me in. Not worth my time. No matter what, we are all in the same toilet bowl. Hope you have enough toilet paper.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There it is! Virtue signaling. I’m not going there. No debate from me. You’re not dragging me in. Not worth my time. No matter what, we are all in the same toilet bowl. Hope you have enough toilet paper.
For someone who was not going to be dragged in, well you got dragged in. And I know I'm guilty of this as well. I'm really, really trying to get better at just ignoring the stuff I don't want to get dragged into.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For someone who was not going to be dragged in, well you got dragged in. And I know I'm guilty of this as well. I'm really, really trying to get better at just ignoring the stuff I don't want to get dragged into.

Yes. Luanne - you are so right about that! Lol!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Really?

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex

I do, thank you for asking! Don't know anything about virtue signaling, but I stand ready to own the label and/or behavior, whatever might remind any/every single one of us (myself included) that we are none of us alone ("no man is an island," &c.), nor can any of us cherry pick when and how we affect/impact the world we inhabit. Again, I wish us *all* good health, peace, and the sense of self/self-security necessary to reconsider one's place in the universe/Grand Toilet Bowl (either works for me) every now and then. ;)
P.S. I've had my wine so this post may read a bit loopy. Hope that don't cost me my halo, but then I never claimed to have one ... who knew the qualifications/standards could drop so low LOL?

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Yes. Luanne - you are so right about that! Lol!

Not my monkeys - not my circus
Fern Modena -

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
She is not virtue signalling. She is expressing a heart-felt belief that everyone matters and everyone should care about everyone else's health. That reflects her values -- and mine. It's unfortunate, WinniWoman that you see it as superficial.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Masks and social distancing are only partially effective. I am for both, but those people who are :
asthmatics, hypertensives, diabetics, and other immunocompromised persons, Type I diabetics, or elderly and the immunocompromised must act to protect themselves and not rely on the public to protect them. If these groups think they will get severely ill or die from exposure, they should hard quarantine, with aggressive disinfecting and distancing of family entering their homes, and use of medical grade PPE, even in home.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do, thank you for asking! Don't know anything about virtue signaling, but I stand ready to own the label and/or behavior, whatever might remind any/every single one of us (myself included) that we are none of us alone ("no man is an island," &c.), nor can any of us cherry pick when and how we affect/impact the world we inhabit. Again, I wish us *all* good health, peace, and the sense of self/self-security necessary to reconsider one's place in the universe/Grand Toilet Bowl (either works for me) every now and then. ;)
P.S. I've had my wine so this post may read a bit loopy. Hope that don't cost me my halo, but then I never claimed to have one ... who knew the qualifications/standards could drop so low LOL?
WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.