• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I watched a little bit of Newsom's announcement but someone please verify this - I thought I understood this did not apply to the whole state RATHER only about 34 counties in CA. However, those 34 counties comprise about 80% of the state's population. If that is correct, I assume the remote counties are not on the list of effected counties....
This is correct, Danny is wrong.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is correct, Danny is wrong.
The order applies to 30 California counties:

California Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday ordered the closure of indoor businesses across the state, including restaurants, bars, wineries, movie theaters, zoos and museums as coronavirus cases continue to surge.

Newsom's announcement comes as California reported 8,460 new cases of COVID-19, according to July 11 data from the state's health department. The state now has a total of 320,804 positive cases, and 1,833 of the patients required intensive care. There have been a total of 7,017 deaths in California so far.

Newsom also imposed more stringent restrictions in 30 counties, including Los Angeles, Napa, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego and Ventura. In those counties, gyms, places of worship, non-critical offices, personal care services, hair salons, barbershops and malls must close all indoor operations.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, honestly, I do not know if the CA governor's "orders" apply to the "whole state" or only "30 counties." Very confusing.

Brett

Reaction score

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The problem is everyone is over analyzing this thing. It is really simple if you have a simple mind like mine. The virus is here to stay until a vaccine is developed and administered to those who choose to get it. You can look at graphs and numbers and analyze until you are blue in the face - panic or relax- the fact is you have no control universally. Science or no science.

They can keep shutting down and opening up and shutting down and opening up and will get the same result eventually again. Many, if not most people will get the virus- either with symptoms or without. (OK- some will be lucky and not get it). That is the way it is. You can shame people all you want for not wearing masks and not social distancing (which is still suspect as to mass effectiveness), but people are human beings and will never 100 percent conform to all these dictates. The world will never be perfect. I generally look at that as a good thing actually.

So do we want to stay in a lock down indefinitely for a vaccine that might not ever come? If we choose that then know our lives as we knew them could be over anyway. If we open up and run with this it is just that we are going to have to face the facts of the way it will be living with the virus until it is eradicated.

This said- the main thing is to not overwhelm the hospitals and at times measures will have to be taken on a local level to help with that.

If I recall, a month into this thing back in April, Fauci said there would probably be 200,000 deaths AFTER we flattened the curve. So I do not get why people are so surprised and in a panic about hearing about the numbers of deaths so far. It was to be expected. Sure- it's awful, but it's a pandemic and we were told this.

So I go back to my own philosophy on living my life the best I can throughout this. I am generally not scared so I go out. I socialize in very small groups- walking, boating, cocktail parties. No masks and no distancing. I have shaken hands and hugged a couple of people. My son visits us now and I hug him when I see him. I stay away from large crowds, especially indoors. I go to stores when I want to. I eat in and out at restaurants. I get my haircut. I'm going to doctors offices, got my blood drawn, going to the dentist in the fall, etc. I have no big concerns about visiting our timeshare resorts but am cautious. I go to the beach and the state parks and to the pool. I will probably take the big ship and the mail boat out onto the lake as well at some point. I have been in neighbors' cars and them in mine. I wear a mask in buildings, but not outside. My choice. Others choose not to- their choice. If you are scared to go out, don't. If you are not- go for it.

Yeah- we have to navigate through all the various states so called "orders" and decide FOR OURSELVES whether or not to travel. It's a pain.

We have to keep the economy going and people employed. It's all great to stay home and in restrictions if you have money coming into your household or are retired with pensions and SS and big savings accounts - no sweat off your back-or if you do not own a business where you have to struggle with this situation- or are living on government money and could care less, but remember others need to work and the general population needs services. It's all great and tolerable if you live in a nice big house in the suburbs or a rural area instead of a tiny apartment in a major city.

Think of the young people and what this is doing to them- all the young ages from grammar school up to those in their 30's and 40's. I personally do not believe in the government shutting down any businesses, bars, theaters - any of them. Nor churches, schools, concerts, sports, or anything else. If owners choose to do so that is their decision, as it is their decision to operate safely during this time. But that is just me. If you don't then that is your prerogative. No sense in debating it with me or anyone else. Neither one of us can change what is being dictated right now.

I don't care how smart you think you are. No one is "winning". We are all stuck. Let us hope and pray as we go forward,

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
New York ... gun violence is the highest we have seen in 25 years. But they have done a good job :ponder: compared to Texas.
It seems New York City has about the same number of homicides, year-to-date, as Houston.
New York City population 8.3 million. Houston population 2.3 million.

Houston: 178 murders in 2020 compared to 140 in 2019.

New York: 166 murders through June 21, up from 134 over the same period last year

Brett

Reaction score
The problem is everyone is over analyzing this thing. It is really simple if you have a simple mind like mine. The virus is here to stay until a vaccine is developed and administered to those who choose to get it. You can look at graphs and numbers and analyze until you are blue in the face - panic or relax- the fact is you have no control universally. Science or no science.

They can keep shutting down and opening up and shutting down and opening up and will get the same result eventually again. Many, if not most people will get the virus- either with symptoms or without. (OK- some will be lucky and not get it). That is the way it is. You can shame people all you want for not wearing masks and not social distancing (which is still suspect as to mass effectiveness), but people are human beings and will never 100 percent conform to all these dictates. The world will never be perfect. I generally look at that as a good thing actually.

So do we want to stay in a lock down indefinitely for a vaccine that might not ever come? If we choose that then know our lives as we knew them could be over anyway. If we open up and run with this it is just that we are going to have to face the facts of the way it will be living with the virus until it is eradicated.

This said- the main thing is to not overwhelm the hospitals and at times measures will have to be taken on a local level to help with that.

If I recall, a month into this thing back in April, Fauci said there would probably be 200,000 deaths AFTER we flattened the curve. So I do not get why people are so surprised and in a panic about hearing about the numbers of deaths so far. It was to be expected. Sure- it's awful, but it's a pandemic and we were told this.

So I go back to my own philosophy on living my life the best I can throughout this. I am generally not scared so I go out. I socialize in very small groups- walking, boating, cocktail parties. No masks and no distancing. I have shaken hands and hugged a couple of people. My son visits us now and I hug him when I see him. I stay away from large crowds, especially indoors. I go to stores when I want to. I eat in and out at restaurants. I get my haircut. I'm going to doctors offices, got my blood drawn, going to the dentist in the fall, etc. I have no big concerns about visiting our timeshare resorts but am cautious. I go to the beach and the state parks and to the pool. I will probably take the big ship and the mail boat out onto the lake as well as some point. I have been in neighbors' cars and them in mine. I wear a mask in buildings, but not outside. My choice. Others choose not to- their choice. If you are scared to go out, don't. If you are not- go for it.

Yeah- we have to navigate through all the various states so called "orders" and decide FOR OURSELVES whether or not to travel. It's a pain.

We have to keep the economy going and people employed. It's all great to stay home and in restrictions if you have money coming into your household or are retired with pensions and SS and big savings accounts - no sweat off your back-or if you do not own a business where you have to struggle with this situation- or are living on government money and could care less, but remember others need to work and the general population needs services. It's all great and tolerable if you live in a nice big house in the suburbs or a rural area instead of a tiny apartment in a major city.

Think of the young people and what this is doing to them- all the young ages from grammar school up to those in their 30's and 40's. I personally do not believe in the government shutting down any businesses, bars, theaters - any of them. Nor churches, schools, concerts, sports, or anything else. If owners choose to do so that is their decision, as it is their decision to operate safely during this time. But that is just me. If you don't then that is your prerogative. No sense in debating it with me or anyone else. Neither one of us can change what is being dictated right now.

I don't care how smart you think you are. No one is "winning". We are all stuck. Let us hope and pray as we go forward,

letting each business owner of concerts, sports, restaurants, bars, etc. set their own individual coronavirus policy could cause problems.
If there are no rules or regulations then yes, some businesses could have higher profits - at the risk of others :(
That's pretty much how country XXXX works

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess this is good news, Yesterday and the day before the number of deaths in Florida went back to the average of the previous weeks. The media continues to focus on the number of infections or on any other number that seems scary that day rather than on the number of deaths.

1594734651854.png

Sweden continues to do very well reinforcing the idea that the initial shutdown only pushed the the number of infections for few weeks but it it does not change the total number of deaths on a longer period of time.

1594734463683.png

Brett

Reaction score
I guess this is good news, Yesterday and the day before the number of deaths in Florida went back to the average of the previous weeks. The media continues to focus on the number of infections or on any other number that seems scary that day rather than on the number of deaths.

Sweden continues to do very well reinforcing the idea that the initial shutdown only pushed the the number of infections for few weeks but it it does not change the total number of deaths on a longer period of time.

If only the "media" focused on coronavirus deaths than infections it would all be much better :rolleyes:

July 14 2020

fla.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53357742

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If only the "media" focused on coronavirus deaths than infections it would all be much better :rolleyes:

July 14 2020

View attachment 23589

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53357742
LOL you only found it on BBC.com? Did Warner Media or another organization buy BBC? By the way, many times one has to follow the European media for a more balanced prospective.

But you must be right, probably this is all the media in the US covered Yesterday ;). I guess we know how it works: bad news is promoted to the front line, good news is either minimized or completely ignored.

geekette

Reaction score
My local media tells me both. They are new numbers today. Adding to a total. And the pending cases (presumed COVID, but not confirmed). And the recovered.

If someone doesn't like what the media they are consuming is focusing on, they can certainly find other outlets. No shortage of them.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

So I go back to my own philosophy on living my life the best I can throughout this. I am generally not scared so I go out. I socialize in very small groups- walking, boating, cocktail parties. No masks and no distancing. I have shaken hands and hugged a couple of people. My son visits us now and I hug him when I see him. I stay away from large crowds, especially indoors. I go to stores when I want to. I eat in and out at restaurants. I get my haircut. I'm going to doctors offices, got my blood drawn, going to the dentist in the fall, etc. I have no big concerns about visiting our timeshare resorts but am cautious. I go to the beach and the state parks and to the pool. I will probably take the big ship and the mail boat out onto the lake as well as some point. I have been in neighbors' cars and them in mine. I wear a mask in buildings, but not outside. My choice. Others choose not to- their choice. If you are scared to go out, don't. If you are not- go for it.

I agree everyone is over analyzing. The whole Planet has a problem and scientists cannot agree nor do they have a way to stop it.

A country (or US state) might look like they are handling it better or worse today but that doesn’t mean in a few weeks or days that will stay the same.

Meanwhile each of us has to make the choices that are right for us knowing the risks.

geekette

Reaction score
LOL you only found it on BBC.com? Did Warner Media or another organization buy BBC? By the way, many times one has to follow the European media for a more balanced prospective.

But you must be right, probably this is all the media in the US covered Yesterday ;). I guess we know how it works: bad news is promoted to the front line, good news is either minimized or completely ignored.
These attacks are getting old. What are you doing to change the world in a positive way?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know all the cool kids are now bashing Anthony Fauci but here is his actual words spoken in April on how to open up safely.

Here is an article on how the US should follow Germany's lead by using testing and tracing

Then a few weeks later:

Dr. Anthony Fauci says staying closed for too long could cause ‘irreparable damage’

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score

LOL !

The headlines are from the Tampa Bay Times in Florida !

yeah, it's all a media conspiracy :hi:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/07/13/florida-counts-12624-coronavirus-infections-on-monday-35-deaths/

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are you doing to change the world in a positive way?
Is this a philosophical question or a practical one? Is this part of a larger poll on TUGBBS or it is just about me? Are you going to ask the same question to everyone or just the ones you do not agree with?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.