• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 3 states initially mentioned are responsible for 45% of all deaths in the US. Unless the comment was sarcastic, I do not understand why would be disputing anything concerning their leadership.
On the other hand California has done a very decent job if you look at the total number of deaths. I am not sure what else the governor should have done but I will leave it to those that live there and that follow it much closer than me.

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex
I am curious if you would care to provide a bit more detail as to what you perceive as envious on Cuomo 's performance.

Gladly. Actions implemented at the state and local level indicate that state leadership opted to believe that the virus existed (i.e., was not a hoax) and posed a true risk to public health. I don't necessarily speak to the speed with which actions were implemented given that (1) NY was one of several states that had to forge a regional response to a health emergency that threatened the country/world, (2) did so despite or amidst messages from national leadership that (a) understated the seriousness of the situation, (b) declined to exercise certain available options that would have facilitated the availability of PPE on a broader, faster and more affordable basis, or else (c) said, "good luck with all that, NY" and (3) I reside in a state where leadership adopted an approach quite contrary to that seen in NY - over recommendations of public health officials (and biology teachers) at every level around the world (not just WHO - I mean folks with boots on the ground in Italy, Spain, etc.) that can be characterized as very nearly opposite to that demonstrated in New York and find the end results (in terms of public health management) are hollering for themselves, literally making headlines around the world. Because of how I am wired, I am always trying to check my perspective and/or challenge bases for my opinions. No matter how I view the current situation, the oh-well-gambled-and-lost-win-some-lose-some angle, the nobody-tells-TX-what-to-do angle, the I-like-my-guy-and/or-the-economy-better-than-science-so-I'll-take-reopen-now-for-$500-Alex angle, the my-guy-says-this-will-all-go-away-and-evangelists-like-him-so-let's-head-thataway angle, the I-heard-the-yelling-from-officials-in-the-six-largest-counties-but-I-didn't-know-they-were-talking-to-me angle, the wow-we-made-world-news-again-today-but-I-still-think-an-in-person-state-party-convention-in-no-ICU-bed-having-Houston-is-a-good-idea angle, the no-germ-is-gonna-boss-us-around angle, I just can't make any of them work. Still wondering how the same public school district that asks kids to include 2 rolls of toilet paper on school supply list is supposed to protect a teacher workforce under orders to show up but with no extra guidance or funds from district, but apparently that's a question for another day. Just to bring all this together, I'll say that the fact that state leadership in NY managed (however imperfectly) a crisis that state leadership in TX only grudgingly acknowledges exists ... as a Thing ... EVEN NOW ... in J U L Y ... with infection and hospitalization rates that predict a morbidity (illness)/mortality (death) rate that ultimately will surpass that reported by New York (as well as some entire countries), is ENOUGH to make me wish for some of that leadership what New York got. Thank you for asking. [Out of respect for the forum and its policies, I will refrain from further comment on this topic but again, really, thank you for asking. Drops mic, tucks soapbox under arm, and fades back into obscurity.]

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
New York has 25% of all deaths in the US and the gun violence is the highest we have seen in 25 years. But they have done a good job :ponder: compared to Texas that has 15 times less deaths per 100,000 people.

geekette

Reaction score

Brett

Reaction score
Part of the problem is that we elected politicians then somehow expected all of them to become infectious disease safety experts. There is no consistently because there is no central plan.

Not many politicians are experts in the sciences or medicine so they have to rely on experts.
yes, a "central plan" would be good

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Newsom shut down CA again.

I was at the hairdresser when this was announced and they are all freaking out. They were complying with all the guidelines and they are really worried how they will make ends meet with another shutdown.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was at the hairdresser when this was announced and they are all freaking out. They were complying with all the guidelines and they are really worried how they will make ends meet with another shutdown.
What I do not understand is why decisions are made for the whole state. It seems that the transmission is the highest at the core of the large cities. Why do they have those in the suburbs and the less densely populated areas have the same restrictions?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score

I was at the hairdresser when this was announced and they are all freaking out. They were complying with all the guidelines and they are really worried how they will make ends meet with another shut
What I do not understand is why decisions are made for the whole state. It seems that the transmission is the highest at the core of the large cities. Why do they have those in the suburbs and the less densely populated areas have the same restrictions?
Look at my posts from yesterday. I knew it had to be. Does not take a genius.

geekette

Reaction score
Because people don't stay in their counties. I'm in the corner of my county, 3 blocks to another county in one direction, a mile in another direction to another county. I rarely get my groceries or fuel in my home county. Further, people don't always live and work in the same county. It's far easier to notice crossing a state border. This really does need to be made easy for people.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because people don't stay in their counties. I'm in the corner of my county, 3 blocks to another county in one direction, a mile in another direction to another county. I rarely get my groceries or fuel in my home county. Further, people don't always live and work in the same county. It's far easier to notice crossing a state border. This really does need to be made easy for people.
I live in a suburb of a large city in Canada. We've had virtually no cases in our area even if we are 30 min to downtown that has had a fair share of Covid. Do people stay exactly in their area all the time? No, but that does not still mean that the transmission is a problem in those areas. They can design circles of risk around downtown, include or exclude what they want but closing businesses across the whole state because of just certain areas will seem very unfair to some people.

Edited to add:
There are 58 counties in California, 77% of the new cases come from just 10 counties. Even in those I am pretty sure one can find some very low risk areas.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Part of the problem is that we elected politicians then somehow expected all of them to become infectious disease safety experts. There is no consistently because there is no central plan.
I'm just one person, but I certainly didn't expect the politicians to become infectious disease safety experts. But I would have hoped they would have listened to those who are experts.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Thanks for expanding on your thoughts, @travelpager. Don't fade back into obscurity though - I do enjoy reading the various thoughts posted here for a number of reasons but chief among them is the fact that we (as TUG'gers) are from all around the country and getting a sense of any topic from the perspective of different regions is always insightful.

Despite the adage to the contrary, this will be one crisis that no one benefits from politically (in my opinion) - it may be more accurate to identify who suffered the least political damage.
I had hoped previous disasters (including natural and man made) had taught this country the value on being prepared for the day the next disaster came along but COVID-19 has clearly demonstrated just how unprepared we are (yet again).

And I do not see any hopeful signs (from anywhere) addressing the lack of preparedness.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

I watched a little bit of Newsom's announcement but someone please verify this - I thought I understood this did not apply to the whole state RATHER only about 34 counties in CA. However, those 34 counties comprise about 80% of the state's population. If that is correct, I assume the remote counties are not on the list of effected counties....

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm just one person, but I certainly didn't expect the politicians to become infectious disease safety experts. But I would have hoped they would have listened to those who are experts.

Optimist!

geekette

Reaction score
I live in a suburb of a large city in Canada. We've had virtually no cases in our area even if we are 30 min to downtown that has had a fair share of Covid. Do people stay exactly in their area all the time? No, but that does not still mean that the transmission is a problem in those areas. They can design circles of risk around downtown, include or exclude what they want but closing businesses across the whole state because of just certain areas will seem very unfair to some people.
Yeah, but, the pandemic doesn't care about fair. Pretty much everyone in the world had their lives affected. "Fair" isn't really an issue right now, we're still trying to preserve life. Areas without transmission are only that way for a while. We are seeing that now. States that did not have impact when WA, NY and CA did seemed to think this is no problem, yet, now have their own big and growing problem. Our small cities with an interstate exit didn't have to wait long to get cases.

Shutting down stuff over here and not over there only creates statewide whack-a-mole, as people go over this county border for that, back to home county, over here for that... the more people that are moving around that don't have to be moving around (not essential workers), the less potential infectees, and way fewer vectors walking around.

which residents are going to be up to the minute on these circles drawn around downtown? Who would manage that? Let alone, explain it to the residents around all those circles, why they can't do this or that, yet Joe across the street, outside of the circle, has no restrictions... nah, has to be simpler. trying to get precision on it would only work if everybody stayed right where they are....

travelpager

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana: WKV (AZ); SVV-Bella (FL); WRV (CO); some SheratonFlex
I have a Corona Virus travel related question. Have you stayed at a timeshare, hotel, campground or other vacation spot since the Corona Virus? We are thinking of going to a Holiday Inn just overnight to visit friends moving to the Villages. My husband thinks it’s too risky, we have stayed home mostly since March except for Dr visits and social distancing very few times. If you’ve traveled just a bit, did it turn out ok?

My family and I just returned from a week in Colorado timeshare. So far, so good BUT we will self-quarantine for a week (or so) before I'll allow my parents to the house. To address your question more broadly, the answer may well depend on your destination. We had checked the relevant public health stats for the county of our destination and concluded that the trip was worth the risk if Colorado would allow us the visit. My teen sons rolled their eyes every time I pulled out my ziploc bag of Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer or box of nitrile gloves, but each wore mask and sometimes gloves (to pump gas, shop groceries, etc.) and sanitized regularly; in other words, I knew each son was at least moderately mindful. Nearly all of our activities were outdoors; we even slept with windows open. We stayed in a condo with a kitchen (no housekeeping services) at a resort where local police periodically dropped by to monitor compliance with masks and social distancing; the night before we arrived, the police "closed" (emptied") the lobby after finding too many people in too little space with not enough masks. Contrast that with our overnight stop in Amarillo, Texas, where the use of masks (2 restaurants, hotel lobby, national chain drug store) appeared to be less prevalent, or Bowie, Texas, where I was the ONLY one wearing a mask in a busy gas station/convenience store (the staff had masks hanging around their necks and everybody stared at my nitrile gloves}. Finally, note that our point of origin and return is Houston, Covid 19 Global Hotspot Extraordinaire, where many conduct themselves in a manner that should inspire confidence, many do not, and infection/hospitalization stats suggest that all bets are off. :shrug: My point is that the destination matters as much as the journey, if not more. Good luck!

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I watched a little bit of Newsom's announcement but someone please verify this - I thought I understood this did not apply to the whole state RATHER only about 34 counties in CA. However, those 34 counties comprise about 80% of the state's population. If that is correct, I assume the remote counties are not on the list of effected counties....

As the coronavirus rages through California, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Monday that all counties across the state are required to immediately close indoor dining, bars, movie theatres, zoos and museums.

Counties on the governor’s “watch list” for troubling coronavirus trends — which now totals 30 counties where 80% of Californians live — must also shutter gyms, hair salons, places of worship, malls and non-essential offices. In the Bay Area, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, Solano and Sonoma are currently on the list. But Newsom said Monday that he expects to add Alameda County within the next day.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As the coronavirus rages through California, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Monday that all counties across the state are required to immediately close indoor dining, bars, movie theatres, zoos and museums.

Counties on the governor’s “watch list” for troubling coronavirus trends — which now totals 30 counties where 80% of Californians live — must also shutter gyms, hair salons, places of worship, malls and non-essential offices. In the Bay Area, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, Solano and Sonoma are currently on the list. But Newsom said Monday that he expects to add Alameda County within the next day.

Thanks for that info, @TravelTime - my confusion had to do with the bolding of Placer, , Sonoma, Sutter and Yuba counties in bold - were they recent additions to the list? My interest in Sonoma County is due to an upcoming A School for our youngest who is in the U.S. Coast Guard. I suspect I'll be paying more attention to CA news when the PCS orders come!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for that info, @TravelTime - my confusion had to do with the bolding of Placer, , Sonoma, Sutter and Yuba counties in bold - were they recent additions to the list? My interest in Sonoma County is due to an upcoming A School for our youngest who is in the U.S. Coast Guard. I suspect I'll be paying more attention to CA news when the PCS orders come!

I am in Placer County and we are among the 30 counties that need a full shutdown. I read that cases in Sonoma are rising and they are also on the watch list. I posted a couple articles on this link:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Headlines like this make me laugh at the media

Attachments

• 9D05C43B-AEBC-40E9-9468-606EC4C0A8BD.jpeg
    9D05C43B-AEBC-40E9-9468-606EC4C0A8BD.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 14

Brett

Reaction score

the curve has to flatten at some point ....

July 13 2020

jul_13.jpg

July 13 2020
oregon.jpg

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Headlines like this make me laugh at the media
Sigh. The previous two days utterly smashed the Wisconsin records. The 494 refers to what was reported on Sunday. The track record for Sundays is that a lot of locations fail to report their results. Thus, the headline is trying to point out that one should not take much solace in the drop from the prior couple of days. The drop reflects the day of the week as much as any real drop in cases. So why is that bad media??

On another topic, this thread has gotten so bad that I was thinking this morning of dropping out of TUG altogether. The bickering, the political jabs when it is known that that is forbidden, the absolute need to try to dominate and repeatedly post the very same message rather than just state one's point. Looking over the last two days of posts (which came after a warning), I'm gone. Maybe in a month or two, I will reconsider, but this thread has really turned bad. So, if anyone wants to respond to this post, just so that you know, I won't see it.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem was/is - there were no experts. This was a totally new Pandemic, with no knowledge to fall back on. All you have is basic quarantine rules. They work on a small scale, but are problematic on a larger scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.