• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Interesting but alarming chart in NY Times today.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 12.00.14 PM.png

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Why does this surprise anyone? It was to be expected. It didn’t need to be so steep of an incline just following procedures recommended.

It makes me think the shut down from March through May was a failure. We might as well have never shut down.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We need significantly more testing, and testing supplies (wasn't this supposed to have been solved months ago?).

Phoenix (inadequate testing facilities)

Los Angeles (no appointments available for testing)

San Bernardino (cancels test appointments due to lack of supplies)

Hawaii (shortage of testing supplies)

Test results now take longer due to surge

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here -- my mom's got shut down early March. I got to see her for the first time yesterday. :love: I'm not a crier, but I burst into tears when I saw her.
Great, Laura! I hope you were able to express your love to her. Our 'kids' just don't seem to be able to say it enough. And it feels good.- for all of us.

Jim

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great, Laura! I hope you were able to express your love to her. Our 'kids' just don't seem to be able to say it enough. And it feels good.- for all of us.

Jim
Oh my gosh. I sure did -- I think she knew how I felt when I started to cry. It surprised her because I'm not that type. She immediately said "what's wrong honey"? My mom has dementia but she's very high functioning still. She has been watching the news so she understands what's going on societally but has been "locked up" so doesn't understand the implications with every day living. She used to be the school board president. When I was filling her in on what's going on with the challenges of school reopening she said "oh, thank god I never had to deal with THAT!".

It DOES feel good.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It makes me think the shut down from March through May was a failure. We might as well have never shut down.
I think not enough was known. It was a pause for a reset. Life has to go on.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Same here -- my mom's got shut down early March. I got to see her for the first time yesterday. :love: I'm not a crier, but I burst into tears when I saw her.
Fabulous news, so happy both of you got to see each other.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hope you can get to NYC soon, too, to see your own mom. It's been too long for so many.
Our state numbers are so high I am afraid I will bring it to mom and now she doesn’t want me traveling by plane or train, keeps saying I am ok.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think not enough was known. It was a pause for a reset. Life has to go on.

It was done for the following reason:

1. Vain hope for containment.
2. Stretch out the the disease curve for ICU availability.
3. Hope for a new or repurposed drug(s) for a reasonable treatment.

Results:

1. We've blown totally out of containment. There's no stopping it now. (My guess is the infection curve will peak in 1-2 months, with the death curve about 1 month later.)
2. No longer a possibility.
3. All the repurposed drug possibilites have been squashed. The only "new" drug is Remdesivir, which is only marginally effective. (According to the "gold plated" standard. According to that trial, it did not statistically improve mortality rates, and only reduces hospitalization time from an average of 14 days to 11 days, and this with a 8% rate of dropping the drug due to side effects. )

I'm tired of explaining here. I think I'll just have a Rum and Coke and let the world go to pieces. . .

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was done for the following reason:

1. Vain hope for containment.
2. Stretch out the the disease curve for ICU availability.
3. Hope for a new or repurposed drug(s) for a reasonable treatment.

Results:

1. We've blown totally out of containment. There's no stopping it now. (My guess is the infection curve will peak in 1-2 months, with the death curve about 1 month later.)
2. No longer a possibility.
3. All the repurposed drug possibilites have been squashed. The only "new" drug is Remdesivir, which is only marginally effective. (According to the "gold plated" standard. According to that trial, it did not statistically improve mortality rates, and only reduces hospitalization time from an average of 14 days to 11 days, and this with a 8% rate of dropping the drug due to side effects. )

I'm tired of explaining here. I think I'll just have a Rum and Coke and let the world go to pieces. . .
Containment predictably did not work. I would add the 4th result, increase in public debt. I will let others calculate for the US but if you add the 2020 federal and provincial deficit per capita in Ontario, Canada for example, it is 11,000 CAD for every woman, man and child. For a family of 4, that is 44,000 Canadian dollars. Corporations pay taxes too but you get the idea especially since a lot of families with lower income pay little to no income so the burden will actually be higher on the rest.

Of course, the deficit will not be limited to 2020, next year we will talk about the same issues, I just do not expect the public budgets to look like 2019 for several years.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should add a word about my friend's experience in France. During the initial stages of the lockdown, if she left her apartment, she had to have ID papers with her. She would inevitably be checked out by police (not many people would be out since everyone was suppose to stay indoors), have to explain where she was going (to check that it was essential that she be out and about), and monitored that she was going where she said and headed right back.

Severe. Absolutely, but France (and most of southern Europe which was an absolute disaster) is now largely open for business.

To be honest, we never had the national will to do a full lockdown. Think of all those who said that they would not wear face masks, who felt that their freedom to congregate and do what they want was part of the American ideal. Okay, we are now paying the price. Give me liberty and give me death.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad that you could see your mother. I don't know how the facility where she is manages things, but for comparison, one of the facilities where I live has set up an outdoor area where people can meet. Only two people can meet the resident at once, social distancing has to be respected, and all parties have to be wearing face masks. Not ideal to say the least, but at least the residents can meet with their relatives or close friends.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
People are constantly on alert by the next hot place but we also have to take into consideration that the virus will run its course. Italy, France, Spain, New York were hit by Covid first and they are doing better now. Maybe part of the population has built some immunity (25-30% in NYC)
Other countries and states have followed with a large number of cases. In two months there will undoubtedly be others on the list.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
As someone who is constantly promoting the value of education in math & statistics to children, this thread is a case study as to why!

2020 has more tables, graphs, charts in the history of mankind.

...with lots of examples of both good and bad graphs!

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes and no-problem was NYC was hit so hard it induced a panic driven shutdown EVERYWHERE even when it made no sense-so some places are seeing the surge all at once NOW vs having surgical shutdowns as cases started rising. For example-would Texas and Arizona be so resistant to shutting down for a period of time NOW if they weren't already very fatigued and tired of being shut up? Interestingly enough if you follow trends/curves nearly every country that is doing better now has followed a seasonal flu pattern and curve-except USA...but those countries had cohesive messaging and leadership. Yes even Sweden. Sweden will have kids back in school this fall and no crippling fear of the virus.
I'm glad they shut down my mother's nursing home in March
Yes now that we know more about who is MOST vulnerable it helps. However we also have to take into account mental health and well being. sooner or later covid will come into nearly every care facility anyway-just hoping by then we have treatment options.
Sooooo glad you got to see her!!!! Bet it did her just as much good as you!
not many people would be out since everyone was suppose to stay indoors)
Which we now know indoor transmission is much higher risk than outdoors. Biggest mistake (in hindsight but made common sense anyway) was shutting parks/trails/beaches etc. Sure enforce distancing and encouraging disinfecting, along with mask wearing if distancing not an option. But outdoors is STILL much less risk than indoors. I really think part of the reason we have so many disregarding recommendations now is the being told to sit down, shut up, and stay inside and the virtue signaling/shaming that occurred if you didn't listen to the shills. South Dakota didn't have the hard lockdown and SIP orders-the tribes isolated themselves and rightly so as they are vulnerable-and their numbers haven't spiked nor are bad. There is also now the distrust of any "expert" due to media soundbites not giving the nuanced answers the pros were saying. Dr Fauci did himself a HUGE disservice lying about masks not needed vs saying please leave the surgical/N95 masks for professionals who are definitely working around our sickest population, but please feel free and to make your own mask and encourage everyone to do so and diligently wear it- in other words being upfront and honest. He may be giving sound advice but remember there is a reason he has survived so many administrations!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
So glad that you could see your mother. I don't know how the facility where she is manages things, but for comparison, one of the facilities where I live has set up an outdoor area where people can meet. Only two people can meet the resident at once, social distancing has to be respected, and all parties have to be wearing face masks. Not ideal to say the least, but at least the residents can meet with their relatives or close friends.
Yes -- a tremendous amount of "rules & regs". It's ok - we will take what we can get. The biggest challenge is that my mom can only have 1 visit per week. She has 5 kids and a brother that want to visit her so that's a family issue. Also, my daughter is 17 and only visitors 18+ are allowed in . That's a big bummer.

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score

LMD

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was reading and it looks as if 4000IU was the max daily dosage. I don't know how excess vitamin D is metabolized, so I decided on 2000IU so I could double to 4000IU if I wanted.
My dosage was prescribed by my functional medicine practitioner. I think you have to measure the blood level of vitamin D and adjust the dosage to optimize the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.