• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coronavirus Cases Are Accelerating Across U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy hearing different points of view. It has been a big surprise to me how differently people think. It is good to hear a different viewpoint.

BTW, I heard from CASA today and I will be participating in the August training. Hopefully, this will be a meaningful experience and something I will enjoy in my old age. LOL
My wish for you: an old age. At this stage of Covid-19, I'm thinking that the odds of much more 'old age' is at best, a crapshoot. It might happen, but already aged, and with higher risk factors, I'm not real optimistic. If this isolation continues for, say, another year, our physical and mental health as well as the economy in general is iffy.

Jim

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on CASA. As someone suggested, this should become a separate thread.

At times it has been painful, but it has been good for me to see how some people think.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm speechless. Actually there are so many things I could say, but won't.

I’m not surprised. Unlike the false story about Washington earlier this year, this one in Alabama appears real. Sadly, it’s not likely to be the last.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My wish for you: an old age. At this stage of Covid-19, I'm thinking that the odds of much more 'old age' is at best, a crapshoot. It might happen, but already aged, and with higher risk factors, I'm not real optimistic. If this isolation continues for, say, another year, our physical and mental health as well as the economy in general is iffy.

Jim

It is depressing to think we might not have an old age. I am still optimistic that we will get through Covid and it will not kill most people. However, I am more worried about continued isolation and what it will do to mental health, relationships, jobs, the economy, and all the other non-health factors. If this goes on and on, we will all need to adjust to a new reality. I hope it goes will for everyone, I really do.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Congrats on CASA. As someone suggested, this should become a separate thread.

At times it has been painful, but it has been good for me to see how some people think.

Yes I will start a CASA thread. I will share my experience and how others can relate. There are a lot of Tuggers who do good volunteer work and help their families and communities. It would nice to talk about how we are making the world a better place. We get too caught up in this Covid stuff when there are still ways we can make life meaningful.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
COVID parties? Great. Do they play a few rounds of Russian Roulette, too?
.that is likely referred to as the lightning round...

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The number of daily new cases of COVID-19 in Texas is now larger than it was in Italy at the worst point of the crisis. Texas has less than half the population of Italy. Death rates in Texas also increased dramatically on June 30th.

View attachment 22790

View attachment 22791

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/
Is there any point in comparing? The fatality rate in Italy was 8% at that time so clearly they were not testing much.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any point in comparing? The fatality rate in Italy was 8% at that time so clearly they were not testing much.
Your correlation of fatality rate and testing literally makes no sense. We botched the testing, at the time of their peak their testing capability was well ahead of ours. Looking for logic in your statement, just not finding it.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy hearing different points of view. It has been a big surprise to me how differently people think. It is good to hear a different viewpoint.

BTW, I heard from CASA today and I will be participating in the August training. Hopefully, this will be a meaningful experience and something I will enjoy in my old age. LOL
YAAAAAAY. I'm very happy about this CASA development. They are lucky to have you. And as others have said, please keep us informed.

I , too, like to hear differing points of view. And to express mine - hahahahahaha - much to the dismay of others on TUG. In all seriousness, I have come to realize that we are all approaching this with different states of mind.

BTW, I had dinner tonight w/a friend of mine who I haven't talked with much in 6 months. I was surprised to learn during our conversation that her husband got sick with C19 back in late March. She , nor their 3 kids, got sick. All sharing the same house and they weren't doing anything "Chris Cuomo" style like having dad shoved in the basement. They continued living together per usual other than washing hands more often and being a bit more mindful of cleaning.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
YAAAAAAY. I'm very happy about this CASA development. They are lucky to have you. And as others have said, please keep us informed.

I , too, like to hear differing points of view. And to express mine - hahahahahaha - much to the dismay of others on TUG. In all seriousness, I have come to realize that we are all approaching this with different states of mind.

BTW, I had dinner tonight w/a friend of mine who I haven't talked with much in 6 months. I was surprised to learn during our conversation that her husband got sick with C19 back in late March. She , nor their 3 kids, got sick. All sharing the same house and they weren't doing anything "Chris Cuomo" style like having dad shoved in the basement. They continued living together per usual other than washing hands more often and being a bit more mindful of cleaning.

Did not get sick or did not test positive. Very different with the first one par for the course for a lot/ almost most people.

Reactions: jme

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Yes, not everyone gets the virus in the same household. In our community, the first person to get covid recovered and her husband never got it. This is the same with all viruses. When I was a kid, my brother got chickpox and I did not. In February, my husband had a virus and I did not get it. This virus can be selective.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yes, not everyone gets the virus in the same household. In our community, the first person to get covid recovered and her husband never got it. This is the same with all viruses. When I was a kid, my brother got chickpox and I did not. In February, my husband had a virus and I did not get it. This virus can be selective.

Or... they are asymptomatic.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your correlation of fatality rate and testing literally makes no sense. We botched the testing, at the time of their peak their testing capability was well ahead of ours. Looking for logic in your statement, just not finding it.
He was comparing new cases in Italy in March with new cases in Texas in late June (!). Do you think the Italians were testing at that time as much as they are testing in the US right now? No they weren't and that is why the new cases were not that many but they had a lot of people who died. In need for a brighter light?

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or... they are asymptomatic.

I know a doctor from NYC, she was positive, living with her husband and the two kids in a tiny apartment. She was sick, the husband and the kids never got it and they were tested several times. Given the circumstances they thought the whole family should have been sick.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I know a doctor from NYC, she was positive, living with her husband and the two kids in a tiny apartment. She was sick, the husband and the kids never got it and they were tested several times. Given the circumstances they thought the whole family should have been sick.
And our commercial property manager's family all got it - kids through seniors. A 56 year old family member died.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
He was comparing new cases in Italy in March with new cases in Texas in late June (!). Do you think the Italians were testing at that time as much as they are testing in the US right now? No they weren't and that is why the new cases were not that many but they had a lot of people who died. In need for a brighter light?
I still don't get your correlation between fatality rate and testing. Are you saying that more testing decreases the fatality rate or what? How are you correlating the two?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Internal Messages Reveal Crisis at Houston Hospitals as Coronavirus Cases Surge

Texas was one of the first states in the nation to ease social distancing mandates. In Houston, the number of patients hospitalized with COVID-19 has quadrupled since Memorial Day. “It’s time to be alarmed,” one expert said.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
But how come that in Europe and in Canada where the measures were relaxed the number of new cases has continued to go down? Maybe the protests have played a much bigger role than thought.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the issue is that there is no way to determine who is a superspreader and who is not. And you can't self-determine that either. And when even otherwise-healthy, young people end up hospitalized or dead, saying "if you're at risk, take extra precautions" is not enough, either....because it's not *just* those at higher-risk that are dying.

Right now, I am taking my break between my end-of-the-week emergency management calls. In our county, the vast majority of those infected and hospitalized are now under 45. This is the time of the week that I am at my most pessimistic, because it is when I hear the hard data from the infectious disease managers and emergency managers that are providing the guidance for everyone else in the community.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Most People With Coronavirus Won’t Spread It. Why Do a Few Infect Many?

I found this part interesting: "Since most transmission happens only in a small number of similar situations, it may be possible to come up with smart strategies to stop them from happening. It may be possible to avoid crippling, across-the-board lockdowns by targeting the superspreading events."
It would be nice if we could stop the spread of the virus without stopping our entire economy. We are going backwards right now.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
But how come that in Europe and in Canada where the measures were relaxed the number of new cases has continued to go down? Maybe the protests have played a much bigger role than thought.

I doubt you can pin it on a single factor like protests. Here in southern CA fingers are pointing at folks on the beach and in bars, people exploded out of their homes recently when the restrictions were lifted, many without masks.

I monitor a few local FB chat pages and young people seem to think this whole pandemic is a conspiracy, and masks are for old folks. The demographics here on TUG are the opposite, more in my age group that are proceeding with caution and more likely to follow rules and social norms. Its an interesting dichotomy to observe.

I went to the beach last weekend, it was packed, all the parking lots full, large gatherings of people with no masks anywhere. We ended up just sitting in our car in the parking lot, had a little picnic and enjoyed the sun and cool sea breeze.

I don’t know how they socialize in EU or Canada but maybe more people are following suggestions for social distance, masks, and cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.