• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Corona on Hawaii

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Are commercial planes still flying to Hawaii from the States of Washington and California and are commercial planes from Hawaii back to the mainland in the United States .?

As of now yes but that to can change.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
It's hard for me to say Kona is Hawaiian since it is now owned by Anheuser-Busch. Yes, I'm a beer snob.

When they weren’t I couldn’t get it in Wisconsin but since then they are available all over now.

I enjoy beer but not a snob.:)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7 cases as of yesterday confirmed in Hawaii but I just got up and that may have changed.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
It's hard for me to say Kona is Hawaiian since it is now owned by Anheuser-Busch. Yes, I'm a beer snob.
I was wondering how long it would be before someone would say that...you're not alone in your feelings. Craft Brew Alliance was sued several years ago by some who said they were misled about Kona being brewed in Hawaii. The majority of beer is brewed on the mainland, but some of the beer is brewed in Hawaii. Regardless, Lavaman is still my amber/beer of choice.

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
The really disgusting part about this report is the couple knew they had been exposed. When they went to urgent care on Maui they DID NOT tell them about the exposure. Several Health care workers are now self quarantined because they didn't know and didn't take proper precautions. When the couple was diagnosed with coronavirus they still flew on to Kaui, and now they are in urgent care. Dh says they should be fed to the sharks.

Bringing the discussion back to the original topic, I just looked for additional information about this case. Apparently the couple did not know that they had been in contact with someone who had tested positive before they started their trip. Because they did not know about their exposure, they were not given the test in Maui. They were already at the medical center in Kauai when they got a call notifying them about their pre-trip exposure. This doesn't lessen the problem for everyone involved, but at least they were not quite as irresponsible as it first appeared. I can feel more empathy for them now.

The report said that they are now in isolation in a county facility. It is good to know that Kauai does have a way to isolate people away from hotels and other vacation lodging. We canceled our own trip after a couple of sleepless nights worrying about how we would isolate if necessary in any of the 4 places we had reserved. Canceling our trip reduced anticipated stress, but we are still disappointed. We were supported to be on the plane at this very moment, but instead we are sitting at home:(.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I used to own stock in Craft Brew Alliance (stock symbol BREW), the parent company of Kona. I wasn't happy when Anheuser-Busch started buying them out, and sold my stock. Many years ago I visited the brewery when it was still really a craft brewery. Now, most the Kona beer is brewed on the mainland. If I like a beer, I'm not too fussy about who makes it, but I do like to support companies that are truly Hawaiian owned.

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are we talking about beer? This started as a thread about cases of coronavirus and how it is being spread and addressed in Kauai but it keeps getting shifted back to beer.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Why are we talking about beer? This started as a thread about cases of coronavirus and how it is being spread and addressed in Kauai but it keeps getting shifted back to beer.
It's kind of like dogs and squirrels. It's hard to stay focused when something distracts you.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Emphasis on your quote is mine....... ;) Some of us are easily distracted....

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Bringing the discussion back to the original topic, I just looked for additional information about this case. Apparently the couple did not know that they had been in contact with someone who had tested positive before they started their trip. Because they did not know about their exposure, they were not given the test in Maui. They were already at the medical center in Kauai when they got a call notifying them about their pre-trip exposure. This doesn't lessen the problem for everyone involved, but at least they were not quite as irresponsible as it first appeared. I can feel more empathy for them now.

The report said that they are now in isolation in a county facility. It is good to know that Kauai does have a way to isolate people away from hotels and other vacation lodging. We canceled our own trip after a couple of sleepless nights worrying about how we would isolate if necessary in any of the 4 places we had reserved. Canceling our trip reduced anticipated stress, but we are still disappointed. We were supported to be on the plane at this very moment, but instead we are sitting at home:(.
Well, either they knew or they didn't. This was in one of the reports I read. This was dated two days ago. Can you point me to where you found the reference saying they didn't know. Not arguing with you, it just seems there are varying stories out there.

"Ige said “patient A” went to a clinic on Kauai on Monday and received antibiotics, then was seen at Wilcox Memorial Hospital on Thursday. At Wilcox, the couple notified healthcare individuals that they had been in close contact with someone diagnosed with coronavirus."

tartanwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at several sources online. One had a very detailed timeline but I can't put my finger on the specific article right now. Here is a link to one of the stories dated 3/15/20.

"According to Ige, the couple wasn’t aware they had been in contact with the COVID-19 positive individual until they had been contacted by phone prior to visiting Wilcox."

The other article indicated that they got the call when they were already at Wilcox waiting to be seen. I'm not trying to defend them. My only point is that it is possible to being a carrier without knowing it. They did not know before leaving Indiana, so I don't think we can fault them for starting the trip as so many others are still doing. Should they have moved from Maui to Kauai once they started feeling ill? That's another matter.

My other point is that I was glad to see that the county has a facility where they can be isolated without leaving them to expose others in hotels or resorts.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Kona is bottled on the mainland and shipped back, so only the draft at the Kona factory is any good.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
FWIW, the couple in question here stayed at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club. Management sent letters to all current guests yesterday notifying them, and stating that they'd be picking up cleaning and sanitizing things. The room the couple stayed in is currently unoccupied.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently on Kaua’i. The governor has closed all restaurants and bars. Restaurants can offer take-out. They are trying to keep the schools open. The supply chain os working and there is adequate food resources. Things at Costco have slowed down. Went to the Big Save in Koloa and they had plenty of produce. Things are not in such a panic state over here as they are on the mainland.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Currently on Kaua’i. The governor has closed all restaurants and bars. Restaurants can offer take-out. They are trying to keep the schools open. The supply chain os working and there is adequate food resources. Things at Costco have slowed down. Went to the Big Save in Koloa and they had plenty of produce. Things are not in such a panic state over here as they are on the mainland.
Yeah, we're on Oahu and saw the announcement on his page. I read it to state that the closures start Friday, March 20, but it could just be the cruise ship screening starting Friday. We started teleworking today and will do so for several weeks.

Here's the announcement from the governor:
The actions I’m announcing today may seem extreme to some of you, and we know that it will have negative effects to our economy. But we are confident that taking aggressive actions now will allow us to have a quicker recovery when this crisis is over.

I've strongly encouraged our visitors to postpone their vacations for at least the next 30-days and reschedule for a later date.

Effective this Friday (March 20), screening of all passengers disembarking cruise ships will be screened. Our airports are working on implementation plans for screening arriving visitors

I am directing the following:
• Limit social gatherings to groups of 10 people or less to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines.
• Close bars and clubs.
• Close restaurants or provide drive-thru, take out, pick-up, or delivery.
• Close theatres, entertainment centers and visitor attractions.
• Avoid any discretionary travel.
• Suspend services and activities in places of worship.
• Stay home if you are a high-risk individual and take additional precautionary measures.
• Do not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities.
• If someone in your household has tested positive for COVID-19, keep the entire household at home.

Stability is also critical in this unprecedented situation. Accordingly, the following steps have been taken:
• All utilities have been directed to take necessary measures to ensure that they can continue to operate in the normal course.
• Dir. Kenneth S. Hara, Hawaiʻi Emergency Management Agency, has the full authority to determine what constitutes critical infrastructure or essential services that will continue operations. This includes utilities, fuel producers, shipping facilities and industry, financial institutions, financial services, telecommunications companies, wholesaler or distributors, grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations and other industry vital to our community.
• For both the utilities and essential services, government resources and support can be deployed as necessary.
• The one-week waiting period for unemployment insurance benefits is waived for those unemployed because of COVID-19.
• The Office of Consumer Protection is working with its Landlord Tenant Center, and effective already are emergency provisions applicable to tenants.
• During the emergency, the following additional steps are being discussed with our community’s business partners and non-profit organizations to maintain stability for our families by:
o Ensuring employees have benefits, even if employees are not at work.
o Halting eviction for non-payment of rent.
o Halting foreclosures.
o Working with public and private utility providers to avoid shut-off of service to critical utilities such as electric, gas, water, internet, landline telephone and cell phone.

I have also directed all department and agency heads to review their employees and identify the following:
1. Essential-functions (will be required to report to work)
2. Non-essential – able to work remotely via telework (work from home)
3. Non-essential – unable to work remotely via telework or otherwise
a. These employees could be re-assigned to work that could be done remotely, as long as it’s in the employee’s job description and classification

For the next 15 calendar days, Gov. Ige is directing the departments to have all non-essential staff stay home. Essential workers will continue to report to work. All employees will continue to be paid and will still be eligible for sick leave, vacation and other benefits. Every employee should look to their respective department for detailed instructions.

I have has also banned all non-essential travel for state workers, including to the Neighbor Islands.

In addition, the state is taking the following actions:
• Temporarily closing State Libraries to public access to evaluate and adjust operations to maintain social distancing. There will be no fees for late returns and the Library online resources will still be available.
• The Dept. of Land and Natural Resources is closing parks, offices with in-person access and large.
• All events at the State Capitol, State Art Museum, and tours at Washington Place are suspended.
• The Dept. of Commerce and Consumer Affairs has suspended all combat sports in Hawaii.
• Cancelled events at Aloha Stadium and Hawaiʻi Convention Center for the next 30 days.

It is essential that our government operations and services continue during this time, but we must keep all of our employees and community safe and healthy. We expect more stringent actions in the days to come. These are difficult times, but Hawaiʻi has a history of coming together when faced with challenges. I’m confident that together we will rise to the task.

Last edited:

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went over the Po’ipu Shopping Center yesterday to pick up a few things and it was downright depressing! All of the restaurants like Kioki’s, the new pizza place, the Thai place were all take-out only with just minimal staff. The Gelato store was allowing only one customer at a time to enter the store. Several of the retail stores were just closed.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Airlines are still running to the islands. I wonder if that will change by order of the governor?