• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Converting Star Options to MVC Club Points is NOT a good deal for many of us

dms111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Aventuras
I understand that the conversion ratio of Star Options to Club Points varies depending on what you own. I own Westin Aventuras Star Options and MVC will exchange those Options to Club Points at the ratio of 30-1. But that is NOT a good (or fair) deal. Here is why: I can reserve a week in a Premium 1BR unit at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun during February or March (high season) for 81,000 Star Options. That would be about 2700 Club Points at the 30-1 conversion rate I am offered. Yet, when I search MVC for the same property, unit and dates, it requires 3900 Club Points, which would translate to 117,000 SO at the conversion rate I am offered. The same is true for Cabo....it requires far more Club Points than our Star Options would yield. This makes no sense. I know that the only way to book MVC properties is by using Club Points, but unless MVC charges a premium for Vistana properties, it seems apparent that I am losing value by converting SO to Club Points. Anyone disagree?

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I disagree as there are lots of other situations where converting provides better value. I found that I will save ~50% SO's by converting to Abound when staying Sunday-Friday at Sheraton Mountain Vista during ski season. Also as Chairman level, I am able to book 13 months ahead, any length of stay, and checking in any day of the week. And use 30% less points when booking <61 days. Abound is just another payment option in addition to cash, starpoints, staroptions, getaways, or exchange. You just need to figure out the best option for a specific situation.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I understand that the conversion ratio of Star Options to Club Points varies depending on what you own. I own Westin Aventuras Star Options and MVC will exchange those Options to Club Points at the ratio of 30-1. But that is NOT a good (or fair) deal. Here is why: I can reserve a week in a Premium 1BR unit at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun during February or March (high season) for 81,000 Star Options. That would be about 2700 Club Points at the 30-1 conversion rate I am offered. Yet, when I search MVC for the same property, unit and dates, it requires 3900 Club Points, which would translate to 117,000 SO at the conversion rate I am offered. The same is true for Cabo....it requires far more Club Points than our Star Options would yield. This makes no sense. I know that the only way to book MVC properties is by using Club Points, but unless MVC charges a premium for Vistana properties, it seems apparent that I am losing value by converting SO to Club Points. Anyone disagree?

I disagree too...

You can't expect to get the number of points to book the busiest weeks in your season because they would be handing out more points than all owners could use to book their home resort. You can expect to get the number of points to book the average week in your season (but you get about 7% less than that - consider that a transaction fee). It's a bit less transparent for the Flex type of product, but not dissimilar.

Realizing that you own Aventuras, consider that the "Platinum" season at Lagunamar, is 5-17, 24-35, 44-47 and 51-52. Yet, you chose to focus specifically on February and March. which are indeed the most expensive in Abound (excluding holiday weeks, which are pricier). But what if, for example you wanted to go during the last 2 weeks of June (weeks 24, 25)? That would cost you 2575 in abound which is "better" than your 81,000 Staroptions which convert to 2700 points.

I'm cherry picking here because your product is not quite pure Lagunamar and, in general, you should not elect points to book your home resort unless it is more favorable to do so. But whether something is a "raw deal" should not really depend on how it translates into home resort booking but rather what else you can do with it and what your alternative are.

For example, I think that getting 4050 points for a 2BR Platinum WKV is a "raw deal" but not because how it translates back to WKV (there are some "Platinum" weeks that can be booked for 2950 or 3800 points, but most are 5400). I think it's a raw deal because:

1) Compared to other Platinum VSN weeks that offer 148,1000 SOs (e.g., WKORV/N and Lagunamar) 4050 Abound points is cheap. WKORV/N got 6200 and WLR got 4950 so I get better value trading in VSN, when available.
2) The rental value of the WKV 2BR week is over $4400 ($1.1/point) while the rental value of the points it converts to is about $0.70/point, so I'd prefer to rent out the week before I elect points even if some of that rental goes to taxes. I can always rent more points from others for $0.70 as long as some owners will rent at that price.
3) Based on my personal ownership and personal considerations, I have 3-4 other MVC weeks that offer me better "value", so electing WKV is not one of my top 3 choices.

But this is all personal choice and circumstances. If you don't own other MVC weeks or anything else in Vistana, and this is your only option, there are plenty of MVC weeks that you can book that cost less than 2700 points for a full week in a 1BR (even in a 2BR) and electing points may be a good choice for you. As pointed our earlier, you'd get more value for 5 nights Sunday-Friday stays Some examples:

January (ski season) at Timber Lodge
January at Westin Kierland
Much of the year at Marriott's Streamside (vail)
Summer at Marriott's Ocean Point (Palm Beach area, FL)
5 nights at Newport Coast Villas (all-2BR resort) during most of the year
5 nights at Frenchman's Code (2BR/3BR resort) during most of the year

Don't focus on your home resort - focus on what you can do with the points. Then, if it's appealing see what your options to get the points are - you can elect one of your ownerships, or you can always rent points from others. Even if you don't like the value you get for Aventuras, you now have access to 60+ more resorts that you can get just by renting the currency at $0.70, which is actually also a great way to do it.

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I both agree and disagree. Marriott/Vistana has been up front about the fact that you are probably better off using StarOptions to book Vistana resorts, though it depends on the season and availability. I own a couple of fixed WSJ weeks towards the tail end of the platinum plus season, however, that would get me more Abound points than they would cost to book through Abound. If there were good availability there, I could do that and get an extra 300 Abound club points per week every year by electing. I wouldn't get enough to book a high demand week like week 7, Xmas, or New Years, though, which I can and have booked using my home week during the float period. I have also booked those weeks with StarOptions.

Your mileage will vary and you will do best when you learn as many of the different ways to use your ownership. Abound added another method to use Vistana ownerships, which is a pretty good thing IMHO.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Small point, you can't convert StarOptions to Club Points. Only your ownership annual usage can be traded outside Vistana (Interval, Abound, Bonvoy) and that means either an entire week or chunks of home options (what you own when you have flexible products like Aventuras). StarOptions are an internal trading value for your ownership for use only within Vistana, primarily for VSN reservations 8 months or less before check in.

dms111

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Aventuras
Thanks to all of you for your insightful replies. It seems that converting SO to Club Points may be a good deal in some situations and I will keep an open mind about that.

tamu_bu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
I went through the entire Marriott pdf showing points per resort, per season and highlighted the resorts I can reserve weeks with my given WKV ownership. There are plenty of places you can get into and some with points left over. Just depends on the season and location. The exercise gave me better understanding of what's available to me so it was helpful.

Colorado in summer is great value. We like SMV and Westin Riverfront (? abbr) but will probably try the Marriott locations in the Vail Valley. The conversation is better.

That said, for now I'm renting WKV or using star options if it doesn't until I'm more comfortable with the abound program.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I agree with a but... Just like when DC(now Abound) first rolled out it did not make sense to go back to your home resort, in your season, after conversion. It still does not and it does not for you either. It never will and that is why we see so many of these posts but...
When it makes sense is if you go Sunday to Friday or bump down to a lower season @Sicnarf posted. However I think this mainly works if you have weeks in the system. With both Marriott and Vistana point systems when you use it in the system it was designed for, the conversion is 1:1 and therefore the costs for the season and day of the week is already baked in so maybe not as relevant.
When it gets trickier is if you want to go to one of the other systems and you may then consider using interval or just converting depending on the date. If you want to go 4th of July the points cost is going to be crazy in abound but you may get away by using less points in II for that week exchange. If you want the go to a lower season specific dates in Abound may make more sense in either system.
The beauty of having the flexible choice in either system is that you can really come out on top if you learn how. The learning and planning is the hard part though.