• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Converting 50,000 SPG Points into 12 Roundtrip Tix on Southwest Airlines

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought about trying this with a spouses account as well? I have a family of four, so the op's plan really nets me two trips with my entire family which is certainly worth doing, but if I also created accounts for my wife and transfered points in her name, we could both get the companion pass which would let my whole family travel 6 times. Anyone have any experience or advice with this?

Hi Sharktzu,

Yep, I'm currently in the process of getting the Southwest Companion Pass (and 6 rapid reward tix) in one of my two son's names. You just need Starwood to transfer your StarPoints to another family member's SPG account, and then proceed from there (Amtrak to Choice to Southwest) through that family member's separate accounts.

I elected to get the second Companion Pass in my son's name so that my spouse could be designated on my Companion Pass. That way we can take weekend trips together while leaving the kids at home with grandma without the need to burn two free tix. My son's companion pass will designate his brother as his companion.

I note that the Amtrak to Choice conversion has taken a lot longer this time around. I've been waiting over two weeks so far, but it could be that processing speeds are slowing due to higher volume as folks learn of this deal. I'm not worried. Yet.

Also, I didn't get the 5000 mile bonus on the SPG to Amtrak conversion this time either.

Good Luck, and . . . . . Oh Yeah . . . . Go STATE!!!!!

-nodge (Spartan Alum)

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I just transferred 20,000 SPG points, plus the 5,000 bonus points to Amtrak. This is a great deal! THANKS NODGE!!! :banana:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Amtrak is currently in the process of changing the Amtrak to Choice Hotels conversion. It looks like they are lowering the Choice Hotel points from the originally posted 25,000 Hotel Points per 5000 Amtrak points down to 15,000 Choice Hotel points per 5000 Amtrak points.

The fine print on Amtrak's web page still shows the original conversion calculation though.

FYI,

-nodge

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like Amtrak is currently in the process of changing the Amtrak to Choice Hotels conversion. It looks like they are lowering the Choice Hotel points from the originally posted 25,000 Hotel Points per 5000 Amtrak points down to 15,000 Choice Hotel points per 5000 Amtrak points.

The fine print on Amtrak's web page still shows the original conversion calculation though.

FYI,

-nodge

Nodge --

I found the following on the Choice site:

To redeem for Southwest Rapid Rewards® credits, please call the Choice Service Center at 888-770-6800. You qualify to redeem for Southwest Rapid Rewards credits if you previously had a hotel stay since 1/1/06 or if you have used your Choice Privileges Visa® card.

There is no longer a way to accomplish the transfer by computer.

Looks like the jig is up.

Jerry

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, the flyer talk folks are having a fit over this! Apparently (and this is true in my case) there are lots of folks who requested an Amtrak>Choice transfer at the 5000>25000 rate, receved emails that confirm this, but whose Amtrak accounts now say they transferred 5000>15000. Until they actually post in the Choice account, we won't know how many we get :eek:

Last edited:

iluvwdw

Reaction score
Holy cow, the flyer talk folks are having a fit over this! Apparently (and this is true in my case) there are lots of folks who requested an Amtrak>Choice transfer at the 5000>25000 rate, receved emails that confirm this, but whose Amtrak accounts now say they transferred 5000>15000. Until they actually post in the Choice account, we won't know how many we get :eek:

Oh, this STINKS!!!!!! My points haven't even been posted at Amtrak yet! Should I transfer them back? What can I do? :wall:

sharktzu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm actually in the same boat. I transfered the funds from amtrak to choices only to find out about the decreased conversion ratio. I called amtrak to protest, but the best I ended up with is an appeal to reverse my transaction to choices. I haven't decided yet if I can use the amtrak points or try to transfer them back to starpoints. Nodge, what are you doing?

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I'm actually in the same boat. I transfered the funds from amtrak to choices only to find out about the decreased conversion ratio. I called amtrak to protest, but the best I ended up with is an appeal to reverse my transaction to choices. I haven't decided yet if I can use the amtrak points or try to transfer them back to starpoints. Nodge, what are you doing?

If I can convert back to StarPoints, I guess that is what I will do.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nodge, what are you doing?

This was far too good of a deal to last, so I’m not surprised that the two intermediaries in this transaction (Amtrak and Choice) changed the terms. I AM surprised HOW they did it though – no notice, 11th hour change, etc. After all, the transaction in the OP, while convoluted, was fully authorized by the respective partners’ own terms and conditions. It’s almost like Amtrak and Choice borrowed SVO Management’s playbook.

The Guru’s at flyertalk.com have collectively adopted a wait-and-see approach. They recognize that at least for all the folks that did the transfer from Amtrak to Choice under the original conversion terms (before December 1, 2007), it will be hard for Amtrak to legally justify changing the terms after the fact on confirmed transactions with well documented paper trails. Accordingly, the folks at flyertalk figure that Amtrak is just taking its authorized 60 days (as authorized in its original terms) to process the transaction to give it time to figure things out. Flyertalk folks figure Amtrak will eventually honor the original terms on all transactions initiated before Amtrak changed them. To date, Amtrak hasn’t denied honoring a single conversion transaction (but it appears to have stopped processing them since around Nov 15th or so).

Of more concern is what Choice will do with these 60 days Amtrak is giving it. If I were a cynical person, I’d bet that Choice will use this time to lower the exchange rate from 2 Rapid Rewards per 5000 Choice points to 1 rapid reward per 5000 Choice point. Or worse yet, kill the Choice to RR conversion altogether. If Choice did that before our Amtrak points showed up at Choice, there isn’t really much anyone could do about it.

On the plus side, there is a nice Comfort Suites in Okemos, Michigan (just down the road from East Lansing, home of Michigan State University – Go State!), and we visit relatives in East Lansing pretty regularly. So at a minimum, we’ll probably make better use of Choice points vs. Amtrak points, if it comes to that.

Also, even with the lower Amtrak to Choice conversion, it’s still a pretty darned good deal (as of today), especially for those who scored the 5000 SPG to Amtrak bonus. If you have the ability to also earn Rapid Reward points through traditional methods like actually paying retail to fly SWA or using a SWA credit card, this now watered-down SPG to SWA deal (as of today) still gives you a pretty big leg-up on earning a companion pass.

There are still plenty of other promotions to pick-up the RR point slack. For example, SWA is currently running this promotion where you earn 1 Rapid Reward credit for each $100 SWA gift card you purchase using your SWA credit card (5 RR credits max).

So, I’ll probably ride this out to the end one way or another and not seek to cancel any transactions. The folks at Flyertalk are pretty darned militant and they have a strong sense of entitlement, so I figure I’ll just ride their coat-tails. Either way, it was good while it lasted, and I hope some folks here were able to take full advantage of it.

Now you folks that haven’t tried this deal yet, I strongly encourage you to let the dust settle before entering the game at this point.

-nodge

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope something works out. I really wanted to get another 50 rewards to get to 100 for the companion fares. I am going to wait and see where all the pieces end up falling. I wanted to do the second 50 rewards in January, so hopefully it will work out. The very least, I do 15,000 SPG transfer and get 30 more rewards......That will net me 80 plus the ones we already have.

Can you transfer SPG points to two different Amtrak accounts, then transfer to one Choice account? That would make it easier to get the rewards.

wingkng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope something works out. I really wanted to get another 50 rewards to get to 100 for the companion fares. I am going to wait and see where all the pieces end up falling. I wanted to do the second 50 rewards in January, so hopefully it will work out. The very least, I do 15,000 SPG transfer and get 30 more rewards......That will net me 80 plus the ones we already have.

Can you transfer SPG points to two different Amtrak accounts, then transfer to one Choice account? That would make it easier to get the rewards.

I am in the same boat. I already have 25,000 AGR points in my account, and am waiting for the new year to do something with it. I am glad my first conversion transaction was complete before the new rules. Meanwhile, I am going to take advantage of the SWA Gift card offer to get me 5 additional RR points closer towards the Companion Pass.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I already have 25,000 AGR points in my account, and am waiting for the new year to do something with it. I am glad my first conversion transaction was complete before the new rules. Meanwhile, I am going to take advantage of the SWA Gift card offer to get me 5 additional RR points closer towards the Companion Pass.

We don't have a SW visa.....

iluvwdw

Reaction score
I have the Amtrak points in my account and it won't even get me 2 nights in a Cat 3 hotel?? And now, I can't even transfer to CHOICE REWARDS AT ALL!!!!!! It says TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. I just WASTED 20,000 points. :shrug: Oh well....good thing all of you got in early! :clap:

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't even transfer to CHOICE REWARDS AT ALL!!!!!! It says TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE. I just WASTED 20,000 points. :shrug: Oh well....good thing all of you got in early! :clap:

According to this link, you'll have two weeks starting tomorrow to transfer those Amtrak points to Choice points, but only at the new exchange rate. After that, you'll need to be an Amtrak select member or hold the Amtrak Mastercard to make the transfer.

Amtrak big wigs confirmed that they will honor the original exchange rate for those of us in limbo prior to Dec 1st.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

-nodge

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, my 125,000 Choice points posted this morning, so I thought I was all set. But not so fast. When I called Choice, they said that because my points were from Amtrack, they were frozen and couldn't be used. She read from an email saying that because there were some abuses (use of duplicate accounts), Amtrack would be reclaiming ALL recent Amtrack > Choice transfers. ARGH! She referred me to Amtrack.

When I called Amtrack, the woman said that this only applies to the people who had duplicate accounts, and shouldn't affect me. She send through an "escalation request" to Choice to let them know that my account was fine. We'll see where that goes. I'm not holding my breath.

Sounds to me like Choice is freezing all the points to allow enough time for Amtrack to track down all the rule violators and reclaim those points. Don't know how long the "freeze" will last, but it doesn't look good for getting the transfer in before Dec. 31st :( Maybe I'll just transfer my points to CO and be done with it. It actually works out better than a straight SPG>CO transfer, anyway, especially since I got the bonus 5,000 from SPG...

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
125K points arrived in my account this morning, so I called Choice earlier this morning to begin the redemption process. The representative told me they couldn't do anything with my Choice points since they were transferred from Amtrak.

She said all points that were transferred from Amtrak are being returned to each individual's Amtrak account. She suggested that I contact Amtrak if I needed to inquire further.

Is anyone else getting this explanation?

Jerry

jillandboy

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been so keen to do this. We were supposed to be awarded 75k points in connecton w/ our explorer package, but Starwood hasn't given them to us yet. This is the 3rd major mess up by Starwood that has cost us big time. I sent them a 4 page letter, I did get a call last week saying that our points are there--- they aren't. Now the dealio is changing.

Any update on this? This is a year we could really use the flights, but it does appear they are putting the kabosh on it.