• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Contracts now segregated by Developer and Resale

regatta333

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Long Wharf, Wyndham points, Vistana Westin Kierland
I noticed when I signed on this morning. You need to select Developer or Resale before you can view availability. My resale bucket has given me 2 guest certificates and 3 reservation transactions. It shows the 2 available for this year, which I doubt I will use. I ran out of guest certificates several weeks ago and had to purchase several. I wonder if Wyndham will refund me for 2 of the guest certificates I had to pay for.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I noticed when I signed on this morning. You need to select Developer or Resale before you can view availability. My resale bucket has given me 2 guest certificates and 3 reservation transactions. It shows the 2 available for this year, which I doubt I will use. I ran out of guest certificates several weeks ago and had to purchase several. I wonder if Wyndham will refund me for 2 of the guest certificates I had to pay for.
I was given 2 resale GC's originally, now they are showing as 2 developer GC's. Your guess is as good as mine if they actually stay in my account.

Anyways, to answer your question on refunding the 2 you are now showing. I cannot possibly imagine they would do that. Maybe you could get them to move them to next year, but I sure wouldn't hold my breath/have any expectations around that. If I am reading/remembering correctly, many people got a few, if I had to guess, those will disappear one of these times we login. Unless Wyndham (by design) is erring on the side of awarding things when in doubt, I won't at all be surprised to see the GC's disappear.

happyhopian

Reaction score
It is a lot more than just that. Housekeeping and booking credits are now being assessed on a points basis. I give them credit, they have finally figured out a way to make this a total mess. I am looking at my past reservations and they have assigned past reservations in some way to developer and resale points but there is no way to know how.

This will have finally rendered resale points as totally worthless

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It is a lot more than just that. Housekeeping and booking credits are now being assessed on a points basis. I give them credit, they have finally figured out a way to make this a total mess. I am looking at my past reservations and they have assigned past reservations in some way to developer and resale points but there is no way to know how.

Well, actually, I've had quite the opposite thought. Perhaps because the MF's on my VIPF are not great, my resale MF's are much better (and averaging all points together made the MF's reasonable-ish). But feeling like my VIPF is not worth so much, I definitely see where it will make more sense to book resale. I am sitting in a 400K 4 BR Presidential, booked 7 months out. The absolute only VIP benefit that applied was the early checkin. We got in at 3:30 in the afternoon. What was that worth? (Absolutely nothing because I booked an overlapping reservation the night before for 2 nights so we had somewhere to stay our first night and wouldn't care then the 4BR pres was ready). Thinking I'm sitting in one of the nicest rooms in the system (IMO) and resale would have worked just fine, certainly makes one wonder - ever so much more - why one would buy developer points or work to achieve VIP.

troy12n

Reaction score
You all realize, there is no possible way they could have set this up so that everyone would have been happy with the result.

If they set it up to use everyone's resale points first, people would have been upset

If they set it up to use everyone's developer points first, people (probably more people) would have been upset

It seems from people's responses, they used some sort of programmatic algorithm to make the decision. What that criteria was is anyone's guess, and we will never know.

The important part is, going forward, you will have the ability to make these decisions for yourself. It seems like an extra, unnecessary step, but you know who you all can blame for having to do this...

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Well, actually, I've had quite the opposite thought. Perhaps because the MF's on my VIPF are not great, my resale MF's are much better (and averaging all points together made the MF's reasonable-ish). But feeling like my VIPF is not worth so much, I definitely see where it will make more sense to book resale. I am sitting in a 400K 4 BR Presidential, booked 7 months out. The absolute only VIP benefit that applied was the early checkin. We got in at 3:30 in the afternoon. What was that worth? (Absolutely nothing because I booked an overlapping reservation the night before for 2 nights so we had somewhere to stay our first night and wouldn't care then the 4BR pres was ready). Thinking I'm sitting in one of the nicest rooms in the system (IMO) and resale would have worked just fine, certainly makes one wonder - ever so much more - why one would buy developer points or work to achieve VIP.

The resales I own are Bali Hai, so have decent fees. The points for that one cost 38% less than CWA points. I'm just VIPG, so that beats/closely matches the costs with the 35% discount I would get using my developer points that are in CWA, I just don't get the upgrades at 45 days - when they actually happen. Plus, I don't have to restrict my booking with those to 60 days out for that - no question for me whether they have value despite the new complications to planning.

I was given 2 resale GC's originally, now they are showing as 2 developer GC's. Your guess is as good as mine if they actually stay in my account.

Interesting - my account shows 9 remaining of 10 developer GCs (VIPG) and 2 resale GCs in the points summary page. They don't show them in the benefits summary page for some reason. Wyndham had indicated that they would be allocated that way in response to a question through @HitchHiker71 - the way the VIP benefits are set up in the program guidelines is that you get 10 GCs for VIPG (for example) rather than you get 8 additional GCs for VIPG on top of the 2 you get for just being a Wyndham owner, so it makes a little bit of sense, given that they are prohibiting use of VIP benefits with resale points.

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score

Resale points worthless? That doesn't go along with the theme of this site! Over $25,000,000,000 saved this week.recind immediately and buy resale.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Resale points worthless? That doesn't go along with the theme of this site!
Or the actual experience of resale owners, who...just stay at Wyndhams with their resale points and feel it's a generally good value.

I understand that Wyndham appears to have made this and next year's bucket assignments haphazardly and it's kind of a mess. But it seems the plan for moving forward with points that haven't been booked yet (basically 2023 forward) is pretty logical. If you don't feel like they're worth the hassle in the transitional years, I get it. But resale points are worth what they've always been worth in terms of booking vacations, which is pretty useful, especially if you have a low-MF deed. If you'd take the vacations, they're worthwhile. If you wouldn't, then they're not. For resale, it all comes down to are the MFs worth the vacations you'll get with them?

Dill

Reaction score
Just curious were existing reservations changed? Did anyone have the "Upgrade to larger unit if available" removed from an upcoming reservation because it was made with "resale" points?

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. They should be considered valuable if you are VIP and make reservations outside of the points discount window. No sense waisting VIP points on a reservation that won't provide a points discount.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. They should be considered valuable if you are VIP and make reservations outside of the points discount window. No sense waisting VIP points on a reservation that won't provide a points discount.
I think OP was referring to resale points being worthless now that they can not be used with VIP discounts and free upgrades! Resale points obviously have value if you are already VIP and need to purchase additional points for pennies on the dollar compared to a developer purchase.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious were existing reservations changed? Did anyone have the "Upgrade to larger unit if available" removed from an upcoming reservation because it was made with "resale" points?
I removed all my unit upgrade requested reservations thinking that then the system wouldn't considered them VIP point reservations.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You all realize, there is no possible way they could have set this up so that everyone would have been happy with the result.

If they set it up to use everyone's resale points first, people would have been upset

If they set it up to use everyone's developer points first, people (probably more people) would have been upset

It seems from people's responses, they used some sort of programmatic algorithm to make the decision. What that criteria was is anyone's guess, and we will never know.

Booked during SRP, no request for upgrade - Use Resale
Booked during SRP, requested upgrade - Use Developer
Booked during ERP, received discount and/or Upgrade - Use Developer
Booked during ARP, use whatever contract type it was booked for

I don't think it has to be that difficult. Some logic could prevail. I am glad I have only 1 resale contract to contend with.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Booked during SRP, no request for upgrade - Use Resale
Booked during SRP, requested upgrade - Use Developer
Booked during ERP, received discount and/or Upgrade - Use Developer
Booked during ARP, use whatever contract type it was booked from

I don't think it has to be that difficult. Some logic could prevail. I am glad I have only 1 resale contract to contend with.
I think Troy’s point is everyone uses different logic based on their own personal situation and there were bound to be unhappy people regardless of whose logic was used. You’re not happy. I’m fine with how mine turned out. The differing owner opinions were inevitable. Wyndham had to make a decision and go with it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

The important part is, going forward, you will have the ability to make these decisions for yourself. It seems like an extra, unnecessary step, but you know who you all can blame for having to do this...
Wyndham ultimately has to shoulder the blame for creating the mess. It looks like they are trying to clean it up now.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I think Troy’s point is everyone uses different logic based on their own personal situation and there were bound to be unhappy people regardless of whose logic was used. You’re not happy. I’m fine with how mine turned out. The differing owner opinions were inevitable. Wyndham had to make a decision and go with it.

I can be happy with however things get allocated as long as I can figure out where things stand. Then I can adjust my plans accordingly. I'm not terribly happy with the split of my 130K points into ~2.8K developer and ~120.3K resale - If they only give me ~123K back for the 130K I spent on it and also charge me another RT to book something else it would somehow not seem all that fair. The very least they can do is make the numbers add up, IMHO. It's also a bit on the cheesy side to deplete all my resale RTs in a random implementation change mid-year when no one was counting them before that.

troy12n

Reaction score

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. With the changes they had to make, there was no, possible way to please everyone. They made a swag at it. Some people are not going to care, some will. It's not something they likely have the bandwidth to deal with on a case by case basis. Especially considering the extreme minority of ownership that this even affects.

The point is, this is a very short term issue and all reservations going forward will not have these issue. Owners are going to have to adapt to this change, but it seems to me like it's a very, very minor change and something you can easily adapt to going forward.

I think also, some of the complaining will cease once the "bonus points" they hinted to are distributed...

And like I eluded to before, you all know who you can blame for this whole mess to begin with... if it wasn't people running pseudo travel agency franchises with millions of points with VIP privalages attached, this likely would have been able to go on forever...

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's also a bit on the cheesy side to deplete all my resale RTs in a random implementation change mid-year when no one was counting them before that.
The implementation isn’t random, at all. You know the target is mega-renters. Sure, there will be some collateral damage, but nothing most of us can’t live with.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The implementation isn’t random, at all. You know the target is mega-renters. Sure, there will be some collateral damage, but nothing most of us can’t live with.

I suspect there's a certain amount of realization that it doesn't make a lot of sense to give VIP benefits (which are designed to incentivize sales) for use with resale points, too. I can live with it, but still think the implementation has been cheesy.

Now if I can only find an EOYE 27K resale ownership for a decent MF to add, it would get me to an even 2 HKs in those years....

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I suspect there's a certain amount of realization that it doesn't make a lot of sense to give VIP benefits (which are designed to incentivize sales) for use with resale points, too. I can live with it, but still think the implementation has been cheesy.

Now if I can only find an EOYE 27K resale ownership for a decent MF to add, it would get me to an even 2 HKs in those years....
Were you not around for the 2 most recent implementations? This one is almost flawless by comparison! ;)

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's exactly the point I was trying to make. With the changes they had to make, there was no, possible way to please everyone. They made a swag at it. Some people are not going to care, some will. It's not something they likely have the bandwidth to deal with on a case by case basis. Especially considering the extreme minority of ownership that this even affects.

The point is, this is a very short term issue and all reservations going forward will not have these issue. Owners are going to have to adapt to this change, but it seems to me like it's a very, very minor change and something you can easily adapt to going forward.

I think also, some of the complaining will cease once the "bonus points" they hinted to are distributed...

And like I eluded to before, you all know who you can blame for this whole mess to begin with... if it wasn't people running pseudo travel agency franchises with millions of points with VIP privalages attached, this likely would have been able to go on forever...
It was costing Wyndham to much. Why give away the milk for free?

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have a 49k Canterbury

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When & why did Wyndham start this and were owners notify of this change ?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
When & why did Wyndham start this and were owners notify of this change ?

Yup, we have been talking about it for weeks, there were training sessions accessible via the Wyndham Website, and there were notices. It went into effect on Wednesday overnight, and this is what we got on Thursday morning.