• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CONTEMPLATING SECOND HAND POINT PURCHASE for VACATION INTERNATIONALE [Merged]

SecondNature

Reaction score
Hi there! I am a newbie to the timeshare scene. I am considering purchasing some points from a member that is selling. The points are in multiple phases and I would have only 6 years to utilize both phases for use, and would then need to assess the situation when that time came, either purchasing more points directly from VI or from another member that is consolidating points.

My main question is: I am wondering if Vacation Internationale treats members that have purchased second hand points any differently than "native members"??? Would I have any more issues or restrictions than a regular member would?

Also on the topic of maintenance fees; I have heard that VI has very minimal raises each year for these fees. And, of course, if I only stick with 6 years, that would not be too much of a concern. If I stay on, it might.

Thanks

SecondNature

Reaction score
If points on the first phase of 68 points expire in 2023, and I did not replace them, I would then have 42 points from the second phase active until 2038. 42 points is not enough to utilize for a stay. I am guessing I would be responsible for them for the duration of that phase. What would be the market for selling only that many points? Probably slim!
If I decided to keep them and add to them, what are the costs to buy new points to fill in, or what are the chances of finding another second hand seller?
Thanks

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to put the TS System name in the title. Vacation International is NOT one of the bigger systems here on TUG .. like Marriott or Wyndham or DVC ... etc.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to add [Vacation Internationale] to the header of your initial post. There are some active members here, and I think they have a Yahoo group or something. I like the VI resorts that I have accessed via VRI. I looked up the MF a year or two ago and iirc it was about $7 per point per year. More or less. They are owner controlled, so the rate of increase is low. All points are the same whether acquired by resale or from a resort. And I believe there is some trading among owners, so their points DO have some value-as opposed to many timeshare weeks/points.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are new to timesharing, you really ought to study the different timeshare systems and not jump into any right away. It is easy to acquire timeshare, including for $1 or free, but can be difficult to sell or giveaway if it is not a popular or sought after one.

There is a link on TUG for "New to Timesharing" to post answers to a series of questions that may help one decide a system that may be more suitable to one's needs.

SecondNature

Reaction score
Since you are new to timesharing, you really ought to study the different timeshare systems and not jump into any right away. It is easy to acquire timeshare, including for $1 or free, but can be difficult to sell or giveaway if it is not a popular or sought after one.

There is a link on TUG for "New to Timesharing" to post answers to a series of questions that may help one decide a system that may be more suitable to one's needs.
I have vacationed with a friend in Puerto Vallarta at Vallarta Torre. It is where I would want to have my timeshare!

SecondNature

Reaction score
91 VI points available - 5 years and they expire. Is $10/point reasonable in today's resale market? I understand that the typical rate is approx $20/point. Thank you!

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We have owned Vacation Internationale since 1988 and now own 451 permanent points.

VI will not treat you any differently for buying resale. However, you can buy permanent points for very little so points with expiration should basically be free.

MF are $7.75 per point. The basic operations fee has not changed in about 8 years but they have added about a dime each year for reserves and renovation.

Be aware that VI is pretty good about borrowing and banking points so that even when you have only 42 every year you can save and borrow for a bigger reservation.

Also, VI no longer has housekeeping fees (they replaced them with a $20 reservation fee) so short stays are still economical.

I don't think you have much to lose if you get the points basically for free. Maybe just pay the transfer fee which I think is $300.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have vacationed with a friend in Puerto Vallarta at Vallarta Torre. It is where I would want to have my timeshare!
I bet it's nice. One of our favorites is Torres Mazatlan. Essentially the same resort buildings, except in the other city. We exchange there via VRI.

John Paul gave good info.

Jim

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
One question I have about VI relates to their booking. I thought I had heard that they instituted some sort of elite program for direct purchasers that got preferential/early booking access.

Is that true, or just someone repeating sales mumbo jumbo?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
One question I have about VI relates to their booking. I thought I had heard that they instituted some sort of elite program for direct purchasers that got preferential/early booking access.

Is that true, or just someone repeating sales mumbo jumbo?

Like most things, there is a tiny kernel of truth in this.

With VI, you can book at 12 months out. They have a program called "Advance Reservation Wait List". You can request this when the start and end of your reservation request are both between 12 months and 390 days out. If your request is met, there is a $200 fee ($180 more than the normal reservation fee) or a $100 fee if it comes through and you decline. At exactly 12 months, your request will be ahead of anyone who didn't do an Advance Reservation Wait List.

You still might not get your reservation if either someone else has an earlier "Advance Reservation Wait List" or someone that already has a reservation and bought the Point Protection Option for $45 when they booked extends their reservation into available inventory. (Normal bookings only have to START within 12 months.)

If you belong to their Prestige program (the one you referenced), it has 4 levels. Each level has a reduced payment for the "Advance Reservation Wait List". At Platinum (highest) there is no extra fee for this service.

Other than that, there is no booking preference for Prestige. There are other perks, such as point discounts at 60 days but they don't give you any priority.

VI is a great program. We ended up with Prestige Platinum, even though much of our ownership is resale, via grandfathering when the program started and a funky quirk in our situation. The benefits are great but it would be expensive to get them all through developer credits.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like most things, there is a tiny kernel of truth in this.

With VI, you can book at 12 months out. They have a program called "Advance Reservation Wait List". You can request this when the start and end of your reservation request are both between 12 months and 390 days out. If your request is met, there is a $200 fee ($180 more than the normal reservation fee) or a $100 fee if it comes through and you decline. At exactly 12 months, your request will be ahead of anyone who didn't do an Advance Reservation Wait List.

You still might not get your reservation if either someone else has an earlier "Advance Reservation Wait List" or someone that already has a reservation and bought the Point Protection Option for $45 when they booked extends their reservation into available inventory. (Normal bookings only have to START within 12 months.)

If you belong to their Prestige program (the one you referenced), it has 4 levels. Each level has a reduced payment for the "Advance Reservation Wait List". At Platinum (highest) there is no extra fee for this service.

Other than that, there is no booking preference for Prestige. There are other perks, such as point discounts at 60 days but they don't give you any priority.

VI is a great program. We ended up with Prestige Platinum, even though much of our ownership is resale, via grandfathering when the program started and a funky quirk in our situation. The benefits are great but it would be expensive to get them all through developer credits.

Thanks! So presumably if one wanted a very high demand reservation (new years in Hawaii or similar) if you were willing to pay the extra $180 a resale owner would have the same chances as a direct owner? That seems OK and still wouldn't justify paying direct prices.