• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering Grand Chateau 3BDRM, Pros and Cons?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a big NFL fan and think having a team in LV is very cool. LV has a lot to offer to begin with and now the Raiders which I think will be a big draw. I'm considering a 3BDRM EOY for around $4k that includes usage in 2020. What is the real deal with the Marriott Grand Chateau? Is it close to the LV action? What about the resort itself? any major positives or negatives? Football season is low season so I'm thinking I could do 2 games a year if i plan well. I thought I read there is/will be a tram or shuttle from close to the GC to the stadium. Any reason not to buy?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I'm considering a 3BDRM EOY for around $4k that includes usage in 2020. What is the real deal with the Marriott Grand Chateau? Is it close to the LV action? What about the resort itself? any major positives or negatives? Football season is low season so I'm thinking I could do 2 games a year if i plan well. I thought I read there is/will be a tram or shuttle from close to the GC to the stadium. Any reason not to buy?
It's a 1/2 - 3/4 block off the Strip. Walking distance to many restaurants. I bought there, but have only stayed as a hotel guest. They treated me well, and recognized my ownership when I checked-in; I requested and was put in a renovated room on a high floor. It's completely non-smoking. Valet parking (IIRC, there's self parking nearby, but not on premise). It has a couple of pools, but they are very/relatively small. Reservations are easy to get (even for the highest Platinum TDI weeks). In the event you decide to trade, it is a very good trader. I originally purchased my 3BR EOY with the intent to stay some years (2 NASCAR races/year in LV). There are shuttle buses nearby to take you to the racetrack, so chances are good you'd have the same for the stadium.

I'd buy there again.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s a great place in a great location. I was able to walk to the stadium construction site in about 30 minutes from the Grand Chateau. To T Mobile arena in about fifteen minutes for hockey.

The fifth floor pool is nice as is the exercise room.

I’m going to be there again in October but I will not be able to get my wife to a football or a hockey game. But she will go to concerts. I’m hoping to see Santana again at the HOB. We rarely drive anywhere in LV. We usually walk everywhere.

Check out the MFs. I think they are high although a three bedroom unit does trade as a two bedroom and a one bedroom if you lock it off. I have been able to trade in using my Hyatt points.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a big NFL fan and think having a team in LV is very cool. LV has a lot to offer to begin with and now the Raiders which I think will be a big draw. I'm considering a 3BDRM EOY for around $4k that includes usage in 2020. What is the real deal with the Marriott Grand Chateau? Is it close to the LV action? What about the resort itself? any major positives or negatives? Football season is low season so I'm thinking I could do 2 games a year if i plan well. I thought I read there is/will be a tram or shuttle from close to the GC to the stadium. Any reason not to buy?

Well, you're following one of the TUG rules; Buy where you plan to stay, and that's a good thing.

Also, Marriott's Grand Chateau is a very nice "city" property with spacious Villas and a nice "nearly on the strip" location, and a great trader to have. It is Platinum Season all year long so this will provide you very good exchanges whenever you decide to exchange.

Hopefully it will pass ROFR.

TSNewbie111

Reaction score
Somewhat related question as I'm looking at a resale 2BR at Marriott Chateau but I would want to use it to trade it in for MDC points. I saw a spreadsheet that looked like that would yield a high number of MDC points and make it more affordable than outright point purchases.

Being totally new at this, I'm wondering if that is possible and makes sense. A broker I was talking to said that you can't trade these in for MDC points so I'm trying to get information from the more knowledgeable folks here at TUG!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Somewhat related question as I'm looking at a resale 2BR at Marriott Chateau but I would want to use it to trade it in for MDC points. I saw a spreadsheet that looked like that would yield a high number of MDC points and make it more affordable than outright point purchases.

Being totally new at this, I'm wondering if that is possible and makes sense. A broker I was talking to said that you can't trade these in for MDC points so I'm trying to get information from the more knowledgeable folks here at TUG!
Resale weeks purchased after June 2010 currently cannot be enrolled into the points program. That said, in each of the last few summers, MVC has run a promotion allowing such a week to be enrolled with the purchase of 3000 Trust points.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

As Faster said (and I think you already know) weeks purchased after June of 2010 are not eligible for Destination Club Points, however, using a two bedroom Grand Chateau does provide you with two great trades each and every year (assuming you lock off and deposit into Interval International).

Now, if you really.want points then why not go into the resale market and buy MVC Destination Club Points? They are out there for about $3, then add another $3 per point to have Marriott to activate your points.

Personally? I think you get a better bang for the buck by buying a resale week.

Best of luck!

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I agree. I forget the exact #, but my MGC 3BR would get 4600+ points. As mentioned, I would have buy an additional 3K points. Marriott called and offered me the deal last year. With the 4600+ points, I could get a single week 2BR mountain view at Ko Olina. Sure you could get another week somewhere with the remaining points, but you also have additional MFs.

Last year, I locked off my 3BR and exchanged into a 2BR at Ko Olina and a 2BR at Waiohai...consecutive weeks too! I'm sure the flexibility of points works for some/most, but I'll keep my legacy week. If they let me enroll for some (minor) fee, I'd seriously think about it; until then, I'll continue exchanging for 2 weeks elsewhere.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Resale weeks purchased after June 2010 currently cannot be enrolled into the points program. That said, in each of the last few summers, MVC has run a promotion allowing such a week to be enrolled with the purchase of 3000 Trust points.

3000 trust points purchased retail from Marriott = $42,000 -- a hefty price to enroll a resale week.

[QUOTE="TheTimeTraveler, post: 2386041, member: 25028" . . .
Now, if you really.want points then why not go into the resale market and buy MVC Destination Club Points? They are out there for about $3, then add another $3 per point to have Marriott to activate your points.

[/QUOTE]

4600 resale trust points @ $6 = $27,600 -- still a lot of money for a week.

I agree with TheTimeTraveler -- you get a better bang for the buck by buying a resale week. Points are wonderful, flexible, and expen$ive.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I remember reading the studio is bigger than most Marriott TSs. Is that correct?

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I thought I remember reading the studio is bigger than most Marriott TSs. Is that correct?
We traded our 3BR Grande Vista into a 3BR at Grand Chateau a couple years back and it was huge The lockoff was a very large 1BR unit, with full kitchen, washer & dryer, living area, and bedroom. The master portion of the 3BR had a very large bathroom with 2 person shower. The 3BRs are on the ends of the towers and we had a fantastic view. The location of MGC is excellent. About 1.5 blocks from the center of the strip, walkable to a lot of the Vegas resorts but just far enough from the strip to be "quiet". The pools are rather small, but the pool areas are nice. The rooftop pool and bar has fantastic views of the strip. The only thing I didn't like about MGC was the mandatory valet service. While it was nice jumping out at the front door and having someone park your car for you, it was a pain waiting for the valet to retrieve your car, sometimes taking 10-15 minutes or more. It was also a pain because we felt the need to top the valets every time we picked up the car, so we always had to have singles on us at all times.

TSNewbie111

Reaction score
3000 trust points purchased retail from Marriott = $42,000 -- a hefty price to enroll a resale week.

[QUOTE="TheTimeTraveler, post: 2386041, member: 25028" . . .

4600 resale trust points @ $6 = $27,600 -- still a lot of money for a week.

I agree with TheTimeTraveler -- you get a better bang for the buck by buying a resale week. Points are wonderful, flexible, and expen$ive.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you all so much for the replies! Definitely $27,600 or even $42,000 for a week makes no sense so if that's what they are offering, I'll pass. The week itself might be interesting though to trade if not to even use it ourselves every once in a while when heading to Vegas.

This is what makes TUG so great - an ignorant newbie can ask a question and quickly get answers from those far more educated than they are, all without any judgement!

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love my 3 bedroom lockoff! I'm usually able to rent the 2 bedroom side for maintenance fees, then I use the 1 bedroom side for an exchange. It works really nicely for me!

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have owned a 2 Bed lockoff here for over 10 years now and have still to stay at the resort.
It is enrolled and is a good DC Points generator, but mostly it has been an excellent Interval trader every year.
We have even exchanged the lockoff for a 3 Bed unit in Marbella (before the unit size upgrade fees were introduced)

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just there and was very, very impressed with the units, the property, etc. You are essentially across the street from the back/side of Planet Hollywood and it is on the strip. Yes, you are right near the monorail also. So good/great location. That said, I wouldn't buy the 3BR. When you want to travel is easy to get. I just looked at Interval and saw 1 and 2 Bedroom units with a Grande Vista studio for the entire football season. I don't remember your portfolio exactly, but I seem to remember that you have a lot of weeks. I don't have any ACs that go out that far to see what that looks like, but my guess is that they will be able to get them also.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just there and was very, very impressed with the units, the property, etc. You are essentially across the street from the back/side of Planet Hollywood and it is on the strip. Yes, you are right near the monorail also. So good/great location. That said, I wouldn't buy the 3BR. When you want to travel is easy to get. I just looked at Interval and saw 1 and 2 Bedroom units with a Grande Vista studio for the entire football season. I don't remember your portfolio exactly, but I seem to remember that you have a lot of weeks. I don't have any ACs that go out that far to see what that looks like, but my guess is that they will be able to get them also.
Good info about how easy it is to trade into. the problem is all my units now are too valuable to split and trade and for a small buy-in I like the status as owner so to at least have the possibility of getting one of the best units. I will look at my II certs to see if I can get that to work but I do wonder if availability will change now because of the Raiders as Raider nation is big. Plus I didn't realize the LO were so large so for 1 MF and split I can truly get 2 trips so that is a real plus. I've been telling my football friends and it seems like others are interested so I may even buy 2 but haven't quite yet decided. I wish I would've thought of this sooner so I could've gotten the NFL draft in April and then a game later in the year.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@MOXJO7282 Grand Chateau is a nice resort and close to the action. A downside of the Chateau is that you would be trading for a week at a time. Would you stay an entire week in Vegas for a Raider game?

An alternative strategy is to look across the street at the HGVC Elara (Planet Hollywood - avoid Westgate units) or at the HGVC Flamingo or HGVC Paradise/Convention Center or HGVC Boulevard. (HGVC Trump has higher MF so don't recommend.) MF is about $350 less for a 2 bdrm than Grand Chateau at around $900 - $985 per year. The pool at Elara is large and very Vegas. For about $7 - 8k resale purchase you can get 7000 - 7800 points automatically enrolled which would buy you two or more long weekends depending on the size of the unit you need. Vegas point availability is very good in the HGVC system so you could own a cheaper Vegas at Paradise or Blvd and trade into Elara. That's what we do.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
@MOXJO7282 Grand Chateau is a nice resort and close to the action. A downside of the Chateau is that you would be trading for a week at a time. Would you stay an entire week in Vegas for a Raider game?

An alternative strategy is to look across the street at the HGVC Elara (Planet Hollywood - avoid Westgage units) or at the HGVC Flamingo or HGVC Paradise/Convention Center or HGVC Boulevard. (HGVC Trump has higher MF so don't recommend.) MF is about $350 less for a 2 bdrm than Grand Chateau at around $900 - $985 per year. The pool at Elara is large and very Vegas. For about $7 - 8k resale purchase you can get 7000 - 7800 points automatically enrolled which would buy you two or more long weekends depending on the size of the unit you need. Vegas point availability is very good in the HGVC system so you could own a cheaper Vegas at Paradise or Blvd and trade into Elara. That's what we do.
Is it me or are suites at most hotels pretty inexpensive during the fall and winter? Granted I’m sure they would increase as raiders are in play, but for the one or two times someone would want to go for a long weekend for the game, is it worth it to spend 7-8K on an ownership then pay maintenance? I’d say hold off on buying an ownership and just getting a suite on the strip to see how often they will, really go.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is it me or are suites at most hotels pretty inexpensive during the fall and winter? Granted I’m sure they would increase as raiders are in play, but for the one or two times someone would want to go for a long weekend for the game, is it worth it to spend 7-8K on an ownership then pay maintenance? I’d say hold off on buying an ownership and just getting a suite on the strip to see how often they will, really go.
The nice thing about HGVC Vegas is that you are automatically enrolled - similar to VSN Staroptions so if you don't want to continuously return to Vegas you can trade for Hawaii, Florida, Hilton Head etc. Many HGVC owners, like us, own in Vegas for the low MF and then trade into expensive Hawaii and stay periodically at the Elara etc. for long weekends with our points.

If you have access to RCI via your existing resorts, you should be able to get access to these resorts with sufficient lead time because HGVC Vegas availability is plentiful. They may also be listed as cash getaways in RCI or you could rent. This may be your cheapest alternative since Vegas is cheap.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying. I am only spending $3250 on an EOY plus 2020 MFs so not a huge investment. Plus any cost I incur buying resale would be mostly retrievable when I resell, another reason I always stick with Marriott.

When I first started buying TSs I was adamant about two things, buying Marriotts because I just thought their consist quality and name brand was bankable and if I had to bail I'd at least be able to sell them. Also I bought resorts we wanted to use and that would definitely rent if not using. I bought Aruba pre-construction and it was a great renter but we really don't like Aruba so I sold my one unit.

Now as I get older and can start to use our units more the equation can be that I just want to use myself and that might not rent. The Frenchmans Cove falls into that category that they don't really rent but we love the resort and will enjoy using once or twice a year. I can see the same thing with LV and the LO I'm pretty sure will give me 2 nice rooms for what other rentals would cost and again I see good value in Marriott ownership.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I understand what you're saying. I am only spending $3250 on an EOY plus 2020 MFs so not a huge investment. Plus any cost I incur buying resale would be mostly retrievable when I resell, another reason I always stick with Marriott.

When I first started buying TSs I was adamant about two things, buying Marriotts because I just thought their consist quality and name brand was bankable and if I had to bail I'd at least be able to sell them. Also I bought resorts we wanted to use and that would definitely rent if not using. I bought Aruba pre-construction and it was a great renter but we really don't like Aruba so I sold my one unit.

Now as I get older and can start to use our units more the equation can be that I just want to use myself and that might not rent. The Frenchmans Cove falls into that category that they don't really rent but we love the resort and will enjoy using once or twice a year. I can see the same thing with LV and the LO I'm pretty sure will give me 2 nice rooms for what other rentals would cost and again I see good value in Marriott ownership.
Understand about wanting to stick with one system because it's what you know. At that price it would take 8 use years to breakeven on a comparable HGVC Elara purchase since they seem to hold their value better than GC. The reason is that these are the best traders in the HGVC system with very low MF (Trading HGVC Vegas Elara week for a 2 bdrms in Hawaii for $985 is great deal especially when you compare to MVC MF in Hawaii which runs $2400/week.) HGVC and Marriott are comparable quality-wise - each has its pros and cons though.

Trading is your cheapest option if you have a low Marriott MF trader or you can buy an II cash getaway for the price of MF. But may not get the unit preference. IMO very few, if any units are bad at this resort.

I have toured the 3 bdrms and they are very nice. We stayed in a 2 bdrm and they are quite roomy with a view of the strip. What I like about MVCs and Westins is that the studios are larger than the HGVC studios i.e. they can accommodate 4 with a mini-kitchen and I believe also have a washer/dryer.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Understand about wanting to stick with one system because it's what you know. At that price it would take 8 use years to breakeven on a comparable HGVC Elara purchase since they seem to hold their value better than GC. The reason is that these are the best traders in the HGVC system with very low MF (Trading HGVC Vegas Elara week for a 2 bdrms in Hawaii for $985 is great deal especially when you compare to MVC MF in Hawaii which runs $2400/week.) HGVC and Marriott are comparable quality-wise - each has its pros and cons though.

Trading is your cheapest option if you have a low Marriott MF trader or you can buy an II cash getaway for the price of MF. But may not get the unit preference. IMO very few, if any units are bad at this resort.

I have toured the 3 bdrms and they are very nice. We stayed in a 2 bdrm and they are quite roomy with a view of the strip. What I like about MVCs and Westins is that the studios are larger than the HGVC studios i.e. they can accommodate 4 with a mini-kitchen and I believe also have a washer/dryer.

so the HGVC trades in RCI? At what rate?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
It is a 2 BR combined with a one bedroom so also great for trading.

I did an exchange deal with another tugger and she booked a three bedroom using DC for Friday to Monday for my husbands 65th birthday party. We just Loved this unit. It was soooooooo nice! If you don’t use it yourself it would make a great rental.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Understand about wanting to stick with one system because it's what you know.

Yeah, I would never go multi system. I don't know how you all do it. I spend a lot of time managing my ownership to the best advantage, to learn another system, ugh. Not for me, but kudos to you who can and do! Impressed.