• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering buying Marriott Orlando - have questions [merged duplicate threads]

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I currently do not own any timeshares, so if my questions seems basic, please forgive me. Thanks in advance!

I am considering buying Marriott Cypress Harbour (two bedroom unit) or Marriott Grande Vista (two bedroom lock out). (resale) Both are gold weeks - weeks 18-23/34-50 for Cypress Harbour and weeks 18-21/35-50 for Grande Vista. I was told lock outs are better, as can be split into two weeks. Cypress Harbour only has dedicated 2 bedroom units.

I usually go to Orlando in October, so would plan to use mostly home resort. Of course, I want flexibility if needed. Which do you think has better trade power? My family is myself, husband and 7 year old twins. I know over time, my needs may change as kids get older, so of course I want flexibility.

If I don't want my week can it be deposited in II and I can choose another available Orlando resort? If so, can it be another Marriott? How do Getaways weeks work? Am I allowed to choose another Orlando Marriott or am I prohibited from doing so?

If my use year starts 2013, am I able to take advantage of an available Getaway if available, or must I wait until 2013?

I hear mixed reviews on buying Orlando. Some say it is a good trade, while others say not to buy Orlando, as timeshare weeks are easy to exchange into.

We stayed at Cypress Harbour and really liked it. My friend has stayed at Grande Vista and cannot recommend it high enough. (She owns Aruba Surf Club.) We have also rented weeks at Marriott Ford Colony, Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Diamond Resort Greensprings in Williamsburg.

Any advice you can extend to me would be much appreciated! BTW, I am looking to purchase RESALE and have been lurking on these boards for 6 months. Lots of great advice! Thank you!

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

you can get gold weeks in Orlando on II getaways for less than thew MF's. Often, they can be rented on redweek for less than MF's. If the goal is to go to Orlando (off season) you are better off renting or snagging specials.

A gold Orlando week can be a good deal if you get a lock off and use both halves as Flexchange trading chips. This is useful if you are not locked into kids school sked and are really flexible!!!!

kjd

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have ownership of both a 2 br Gold week and a 2 br Platinum week in Orlando. (MGV) My experience is that the Gold week is good for a vacation in Orlando but not very good as a trader to other Marriotts. On the other hand the Platinum week is an excellent trader IMO to other Marriotts. Since joining the DC I've decided to turn in the Gold week for points to use as short stays. I think the Gold week does better by exchanging it for points rather than a trade.

I think the bottom line for the OP's question is that the Platinum week is a better situation. The resale price isn't that much more than a Gold week at this time. It's probably in part due to the fact that you can't join the DC with a resale unit.

One other thing. Cypress Harbour is not a lockoff. I would definitely look at an Orlando lockoff like MGV. We love Cypress Harbour and have been able to get a Cypress Harbour 2br unit by just trading a studio MGV. There is usually a lot of supply of Cypress Harbour units at any given time of the year, especially during the gold season. This is a good time to buy as owners dump their units not wanting the 2012 maintenance fees. I would hold out for a Platinum lockoff unit. It will be more flexible and cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good morning...

kjd

I agree... I own 2 3 bedroom lock offs at GV plat. If you can pick up a 2 bedroom or 3 bedroom plat GV cheap , it is a good deal...

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your advice! I appreciate your help. Back to the drawing board...guess better to invest a bit more $ upfront for better long term flexibility. MFs are still $900-1000/year, so I want to chose wisely before making a long term commitment.

Another thought I have - which do you think would be a better trader - platinum Grande Vista or platinum Manor Club (Williamsburg)? I live within driving distance to Williamsburg and could use Manor Club for a summer vacation some years. I also live within driving distance to Seaview in Atlantic City. Is a platinum week there a good trader?

Do you think for the most part better to hold out for lockout rather than 2 bedroom unit?

Thanks again!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I had young kids again and planned to go to Orlando often, and had the flexibility in my schedule to pick my vacation, I would look for a Fixed Week in Orlando to use at a HOA controlled Resort. I don't know if any such Resort even exists in Orlando.

George

PS Many of the Fixed Week HOA Resorts I owned in the past would work with their Owners to switch Weeks when possible.

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have two platinum plus weeks at Harbour Lake in Orlando.. have been really happy with our trades so far.. picked both of them up on ebay for little upfront.. we are not restricted to a school schedule yet though.. When we are a fixed week 52 would be great as the company I work for has that week off so we could definitely use it if I had to go back to our home resort.

I agree with getting a platinum week vs. a gold and a lock-off unit. There is plenty of availability in Orlando.. so far we haven't used any of our lock-offs to trade back in as I think the weeks are too valuable to go back to Orlando..:p We did stay at Grande Vista and have another week booked for next year.. both using XYZs.. I really hope that program continues..

I am not familiar with trading using Williamsburg.. I am sure others with more experience would respond.

ironweed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, legend has it that Orlando is a tough trading area........ however, that is definately NOT true for the premier Marriotts (Grande Vista & Cyrpress).
These are Always are in demand.

My GOLD GV always trades up to PLATINUM GV for us ! INTERVAL does not distinguish between silver, gold, or platinum for these Marriotts.....all seasons are Premier or RED when trading via Interval.

In addition, the GV lockoff always gets us a 1 or 2 bdrm unit in Orlando (not Marriott) and Marriotts elswhere across the country. We've gotten 1 & 2 bdrm units at Manor Club with the lockoff......

Manor club has nowhere near the trade value of GV......

If deciding beween Cypress or Grand Vista, it a no brainer ! The GV lockoff gives you much more flexibility, as well as a TWO WEEK vacation if you want it !! :cheer:

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is xyz?

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only speak to our experience trading with a Platinum Manor Club. We have traded our MMC for prime summer beach weeks at Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach plus a winter week at St. Kitts.

E

EducatedConsumer

INTERVAL does not distinguish between silver, gold, or platinum for these Marriotts.....all seasons are Premier or RED when trading via Interval.

On the surface, if you look at the Interval International website or resort book, you may draw this concusion, but it is absolutely not accurate. Looking only and specifically at the 52 weeks in the year, Interval International places a value on each week individually, and the value that they place on a given week this year may be different next year, based on demand for that week over the previous year, or perceived demand the following year (e.g. Special Event that week).

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Cypress Harbour (Special season) and pay around $1,000 per year for maintenance fees and own a unit at Foxrun and pay about $650 per year. I use Cypress Harbour to trade to other Marriotts such as Hawaii and Myrtle Beach and use a non Marriott (i.e. Foxrun) for easier to trade into Marriotts such Orlando, Palm Desert or Las Vegas.

My non-Marriott not only gets nice trades such as Marriotts and Sheratons for any week in Orlando, but also receives an AC (a certificate that allows me to reserve certain weeks for $199, $249, or $299 for a studio, one bedroom or two bedroom respectively).

It comes down to how you want to use your week. To use in Orlando buy a cheaper non-Marriott week with low fees and trade into Orlando. If you want it to trade to other Marriotts not located in Orlando, I would recommend an Orlando Mariott becasue it is cheaper than other Marriotts.

Another option is Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando. You could get Vistana, Foxrun, or other non-Marriotts for close to nothing.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really like going to Orlando in October. Weather is great. Flights are reasonable. I have been to Orlando in the Spring and parks are packed and flights are $$$. I have no interest in going to Orlando in the summer, as it is way to hot and crowded for me.

I am struggling with having to take kids out of school or trade my week. I am not expecting to be able to trade to Hawaii or Aruba. Does anyone with experience think I may perhaps be able to trade a 2 bedroom gold Grande Vista week for a summer week perhaps in Williamsburg, Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or another Florida location?

Would a platinum Fords Colony be a better choice for trading?

Thanks!

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really like going to Orlando in October. Weather is great. Flights are reasonable. I have been to Orlando in the Spring and parks are packed and flights are $$$. I have no interest in going to Orlando in the summer, as it is way to hot and crowded for me.

I am struggling with having to take kids out of school or trade my week. I am not expecting to be able to trade to Hawaii or Aruba. Does anyone with experience think I may perhaps be able to trade a 2 bedroom gold Grande Vista week for a summer week perhaps in Williamsburg, Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or another Florida location?

Would a platinum Fords Colony be a better choice for trading?

Thanks!

Williamsburg is easy, but summer Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach is almost impossible unless you wait until flexchange or ok with later August.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
... Does anyone with experience think I may perhaps be able to trade a 2 bedroom gold Grande Vista week for a summer week perhaps in Williamsburg, Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or another Florida location? ...

A Grand Vista Plat will trade for summer weeks at Williamsburg, and at other Florida locations. Summer weeks at Hilton Head and Myrtle beach are hard to come by.

Ray

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I had young kids again and planned to go to Orlando often, and had the flexibility in my schedule to pick my vacation, I would look for a Fixed Week in Orlando to use at a HOA controlled Resort. I don't know if any such Resort even exists in Orlando.

George

PS Many of the Fixed Week HOA Resorts I owned in the past would work with their Owners to switch Weeks when possible.

I am in process of buying a silver Marriott Shadow Ridge (somewhat doubtful it passes ROFR but we'll see) and platinum Vacation Villas at Fantasyworld I in Kissimee. I think VVFWI is HOA controlled (with cheap MFs) but there are no lockoffs.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in process of buying a silver Marriott Shadow Ridge (somewhat doubtful it passes ROFR but we'll see) and platinum Vacation Villas at Fantasyworld I in Kissimee. I think VVFWI is HOA controlled (with cheap MFs) but there are no lockoffs.

No worry. It will pass ROFR without any problem at any price point.....

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
IF you decide on Orlando and want Marriott I would purchase platinum season you will have no trouble trading your studio lock off for October back in Grande vista.

I have gone the last 2 years in October and have traded the studio for a two bedroom in October at Grande vista and 1 year a 2 bedroom at Lakeshore reserve.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not expecting to be able to trade to Hawaii or Aruba. Does anyone with experience think I may perhaps be able to trade a 2 bedroom gold Grande Vista week for a summer week perhaps in Williamsburg, Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach or another Florida location?

Thanks!

We had the same expectations for trading when we purchased Cypress Harbour. However, we traded to Palm Desert the first year and Hawaii (7 weeks) Myrtle Beach (4 weeks) and Aruba (1 week) afterwards. We have never used our unit in Orlando but have stayed there on trades with a non-Marriott.

ironweed

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

It sounds like you want to go to Orlando in Marriott GOLD season. If so, buy GOLD and you won't even have to deposit with Interval for the next few years.......:whoopie:

kjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd say that if you bought a Platinum 2br MGV lockoff you'd be able to get a 2br MGV October and a 2br Manor Club summer week in the same year. Or, you could use one week and roll the other into the following year giving you three weeks the next year.

You could also get a Cypress Harbour unit for a studio MGV lockoff in October if you wanted to stay there instead. Why buy the Gold when you can get the same thing with a studio in a trade? The lockoff will cut your yearly maintenance fees to $550 per week for the two trades. Not a bad deal if you can use it.

ironweed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't underestimate the value of Gold !!

I've owned 2 Grande Vista Gold weeks for years now, saving several thousand $$ by not buying platinum.

I have always vacationed in platinum season, easily trading into platinum Grande Vista, Vistana, Barony, Ocean Watch, Manor Club, etc., etc....

Gold has been very, very good to me!! :whoopie:

Last edited:

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score