• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering a Massanutten resort to use for trading into Orlando

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Ok...I've decided to continue researching and NOT pull the trigger for Williamsburg. I am beginning to think I should get a better understanding of 'points' since it seems that is what gives the most options and flexibility. I still may prefer a weeks contract, but at least I will make a decision with better understanding. The Williamsburg is a GREAT deal, but it may not really satisfy my vacation wants/needs. So my journey continues. THANK YOU ALL for your help and guidance. Especially @Eric B , your input has been greatly appreciated. I hope everyone keeps me in mind if something comes up that you think may help with my search and decision. Feel free to drop me a line if you think of something. I will still be around here asking questions and seeking advice and opinions based on your experiences. I really want to pull the trigger for Williamsburg to get back into TS ownership, but I truly believe if I purchase without thinking it thru, I may end up with something that isn't so 'bright and shiny' as I thought. Just like sitting thru a TS presentation and talking myself into something that I really shouldn't buy. I know the best part of resale is not paying full price, but the concept of not being happy with the purchase is still the same. Thanks everybody. :giggle:

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Couldn't agree more. When WPN and CWQ added the RCI affiliation (it used to be exclusive to II) a little more than 2 years ago, I grabbed a special 2-year intro to RCI. The quality of (most) trades were better in II; however, I was able to snag a 2BR Bay Club on the Big Island with RCI. II and SFX did not have availability. I needed a specific week and RCI had it. I had to use nearly all the TPUs from both 2BR deposits, but I got the week I needed. After my 2-year intro ended a few weeks ago, I didn't renew. It seemed RCI had more fees than II. It wasn't all bad. I like the "transparency" of the TPU system. We may not know how they arrived a the value, but at least we know the value and can see how it compares to other resorts. You don't get that with II, and you can't combine weeks.

@NiteMaire : Can you please explain your statement? What don't you get with II that RCI gives? And what do you mean you can't combine weeks? I am trying to get as much information as I can BEFORE I make a long term decision. Thanks!!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
In RCI, you can see the TPU values and availability of weeks that your week on deposit will not allow you to exchange for; in II you can't see those. RCI also allows you to pay a fee to combine the Trading Power Units of 2 or more weeks to result in a week with a higher TPU value so that you can trade for those weeks.

BTW, there is a Colonies week 31 4 BR LO in eBay now:

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
In RCI, you can see the TPU values and availability of weeks that your week on deposit will not allow you to exchange for; in II you can't see those. RCI also allows you to pay a fee to combine the Trading Power Units of 2 or more weeks to result in a week with a higher TPU value so that you can trade for those weeks.

I have my eye on that one!! :cheer: I'm just afraid to jump on something that may have little trade power. I believe YOU when you say it gets better trade power in II than it gets in RCI. But I don't want to be stuck if it doesn't get places I want. BUT... I have to admit, I am also looking at the possibility that I can rent the unit for more than I pay in MFees if it doesn't trade well. Then I can still enjoy some perks of 'getaways' using II. I just don't know what to do. I think the Colonies eases my mind in having 2 full kitchens. I am STILL on the fence. I have been looking at Kings Creek too. I guess I am STILL just entertaining possibilities. But obviously for me, trade power is of highest importance over everything.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies

By the Way....I sent the seller a question regarding the validity of it being a "floating week". I also questioned the description as sleeps "4" instead of 12. It looks like the seller (s.i.t.e team) has a good reputation on Ebay but I am a little scared based on invalid info. The lack of response to my questions makes me a little hesitant too. Give me your HONEST opinion based on the info on here so far. Should I grab this to get back in the TS game or should I keep researching? My DH says it doesnt matter to him. BUT he wants me to wait. :rolleyes:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
It's never really a hurry, but don't forget that it's the weekend. They probably aren't working today and this is a job to them rather than a personal sale.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have a 2 bedroom regal vista worth 89K points annually. It’s actually an EOY 4 bedroom worth 178K points but they way it’s set up it’s actually split into 2 bedrooms annually. The maint fee was $550 this year. That should get me plenty of options in RCI. IM not sure how long I’ll keep it tbh, as I just want the occasional DVC trade.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have my eye on that one!! :cheer: I'm just afraid to jump on something that may have little trade power. I believe YOU when you say it gets better trade power in II than it gets in RCI. But I don't want to be stuck if it doesn't get places I want. BUT... I have to admit, I am also looking at the possibility that I can rent the unit for more than I pay in MFees if it doesn't trade well. Then I can still enjoy some perks of 'getaways' using II. I just don't know what to do. I think the Colonies eases my mind in having 2 full kitchens. I am STILL on the fence. I have been looking at Kings Creek too. I guess I am STILL just entertaining possibilities. But obviously for me, trade power is of highest importance over everything.
Any reason why you didn’t want a points contract?

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Any reason why you didn’t want a points contract?
I dont have an understanding of points to make a purchase decision. I dont know/understand what/how many points needed for my vacation needs. I'm trying to get back into TS ownership with a decent weeks contract that can be used for trade into Florida to avoid Florida MFees ownership. It needs to have good trade power, low MFees, and easy to rent for cost of MFees when/if not used. I want points EVENTUALLY when I understand them better.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I'm just afraid to jump on something that may have little trade power. I believe YOU when you say it gets better trade power in II than it gets in RCI. But I don't want to be stuck if it doesn't get places I want...But obviously for me, trade power is of highest importance over everything.
You stated you wanted to trade for Marriott and Sheraton in Orlando. Colonies will get them. Even if your traveling preferences change, you should be able to get very good trades. As I mentioned in this post https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/c...for-trading-into-orlando.305909/#post-2462616, I've had great exchanges into Marriott in Orlando, Hawaii (Oahu, Kauai), and Lake Tahoe; Westin in Hawaii (Kauai, Maui); and Hyatt in Lake Tahoe (including a prime ski week); all through Interval. I've also been to the Big Island through RCI exchange.

BUT... I have to admit, I am also looking at the possibility that I can rent the unit for more than I pay in MFees if it doesn't trade well. Then I can still enjoy some perks of 'getaways' using II. I just don't know what to do.
Unless you get week 26 or 27 (July 4th depending on year), don't count on renting in Williamsburg. I'm not saying you won't be able to, but it's a difficult week to rent since Williamsburg has plenty of lodging. You're still taking a chance with week 26/27.

Should I grab this to get back in the TS game or should I keep researching?
I dont have an understanding of points to make a purchase decision. I dont know/understand what/how many points needed for my vacation needs...I want points EVENTUALLY when I understand them better.
Based on these 2 statements, I recommend you keep researching and determine if you want a week or points. Once you determine that, then pursue a purchase. I'm not a fan of points, and don't intend on ever buying them. Others love points and won't buy weeks. Determine what works best for you, then buy.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm worried about your overall goal. I don't think it is ever a good idea to buy something with the intent to mostly use it in a third-party exchange for a particular purpose.

Granted, your plan of exchanging into Orlando in August is not exactly Gulf Coast Florida in winter, but it is still one particular place and time. I also don't think you'd be saving that much more over owning in the area: If MFs for the 4BR are about $900, you'll pay about $450 plus exchange and membership fees. In II that's going to be almost another $250 per week, and that gets you to $700. In RCI it would be more. You are already renting the weeks for $400-$800 per week now, so you'd maybe be saving money, but are at the whims of the particular exchange systems, etc. What's more, I expect renting to get easier going forward, not harder.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I dont have an understanding of points to make a purchase decision. I dont know/understand what/how many points needed for my vacation needs. I'm trying to get back into TS ownership with a decent weeks contract that can be used for trade into Florida to avoid Florida MFees ownership. It needs to have good trade power, low MFees, and easy to rent for cost of MFees when/if not used. I want points EVENTUALLY when I understand them better.
Points are best, it will be easier to get out of and you’ll be able to have a better understanding of what you can book. If you want massanutten I’d suggest regal vista or woodstone. If you get a 2 bedroom regal vista the maint fee is around 550 and you’ll get 89k points. DVC top points is 85K you’ll have your pick of orlando resorts with a regal vista or woodstone points contract.

Yellowfin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Typically it is harder to find quality resorts in RCI but the exception may be Orlando. When you can choose from Sheraton, HGVC, DVC, Wynham, Reunion (part of Wyndham I think) and others do you really need Marriott?
We own RCI points, Interval traders, Vistana mandatory for StarOptions as well as Lagunamar (the only one we bought to use) and for Orlando I just do not see how you can go wrong with RCI points that offers flexibility, discounted trades, low maintenance fees for several weeks of vacation per year, a low initial cost.
You can buy Massanutten (especially Regal Vistas) or Grandview that is enrolled in RCI points. Regardless what you decide, only buy platinum season. Now that I think about it, I prefer Massanutten to GV because of its proximity to DC, an affluent area that will probably be less hit by Covid economically.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I agree with @CPNY on the superiority of points sometimes when it comes to trading and most of the time when it comes to liquidating ..... at least for red weeks in RCI. I am an uninformed, non-owner, however, when it comes to II. I am ignorant of how it impacts trading there, and of the impression I have is it makes no difference when it comes time to liquidate.

If the OP wants to trade in II, RCI Points will probably not be a good deal. I wonder in normal times if a prime CQG unit could not be given away with a $100 prepaid Visa (linked to earlier in this thread). I would be tempted to pick one up to be able to trade in II and double dip with my other VV/RCI properties if I wasn't fearful of having a hard time unloading it.

I am not fooling myself or taking false confidence my RCI Points Massanutten properties will necessarily be easy to sell 20 years in the future ... but it has to have better odds than the weeks properties.

Points are best, it will be easier to get out of and you’ll be able to have a better understanding of what you can book. If you want massanutten I’d suggest regal vista or woodstone. If you get a 2 bedroom regal vista the maint fee is around 550 and you’ll get 89k points. DVC top points is 85K you’ll have your pick of orlando resorts with a regal vista or woodstone points contract.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Ok, help me get a better understanding of RCI. What does TPU mean? Do I understand correctly that if I deposit a Massanutten "week" into RCI that RCI will convert my deposit to TPUs? So then I shop for an exchange according to how many TPUs I have? Is this how the 'weeks' usage works? The better the resort is, the more TPUs received? So, I may not get top end resorts with Massanutten weeks, but I can get places like Orange Lake, Summer Bay etc. I really need to understand TPUs and how they work. It would be great if I can find a points contract, but maybe a 'floating week' contract may work for me for now. I can always buy a points contract somewhere down the line.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Ok, help me get a better understanding of RCI. What does TPU mean? Do I understand correctly that if I deposit a Massanutten "week" into RCI that RCI will convert my deposit to TPUs? So then I shop for an exchange according to how many TPUs I have? Is this how the 'weeks' usage works? The better the resort is, the more TPUs received? So, I may not get top end resorts with Massanutten weeks, but I can get places like Orange Lake, Summer Bay etc. I really need to understand TPUs and how they work. It would be great if I can find a points contract, but maybe a 'floating week' contract may work for me for now. I can always buy a points contract somewhere down the line.
You’ve got it! I don’t own Massanutten, but I do own a week at a different resort that deposits to RCI. TPUs means Trading Power Units, and they’re assigned by RCI, presumably based on desirability or value of the resort location and week being deposited. When making an exchange, TPUs are the currency, and different resorts and weeks cost varying numbers of TPUs. In my RCI account I can find out, before I deposit a week, how many TPUs I’ll get for it, and when I search for an exchange I can see how many TPUs any given one will cost.

One note - weeks resorts trade in RCI as full weeks only. There are sometimes 3-5 night reservations available (I’ve seen them for Bonnet Creek and Wyndham Austin) but in general you’re not able to book less than a week. OTOH if you notify the resort once booked, you may be able to check in late, and you can check out early as well

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If you own a 4 bedroom that locks off into two two-bedroom units at Massanutten, you may get the best bang for your buck depositing them as separate units. If you need to pull something more than either unit can pull, you can pay a combine fee. If each of your deposits were 16 TPUs, when combined you would have a 32 TPU deposit.
————

Advice: If you want to trade weeks, I’d buy the Colonies in Williamsburg where you could trade II or RCI. If I were going to buy Massanutten, I would hold out for a Woodstone or Regal Vistas Red Week enrolled in points .... they are strong traders and are more likely to have resale value when you are done.

If you still want a Massanutten weeks property ... I would be sure it is absolutely a peak summer week. When the time share resale market is strong, it MIGHT have a positive value.

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a thought:

As others have suggested, I think a Massanutten Points week would be a good choice. Have you also considered just picking up a Grandview at Las Vegas Points week? The 122K point weeks can occasionally be picked up for a good price and are more plentiful than Woodstone / Regal Vistas weeks. Massanutten weeks never seeem to be that hard to exchange into via RCI.

I really like my Woodstone week that gives me 137K points per year.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Ok everybody, please be patient with me and know I appreciate all of your input. So I have been taking notes, watching eBay, and making comparisons. I do agree that a points contract will work better, but they don't come often enough. The biggest thing is, I need to be sure if I buy a points contract, it needs to be able to rent me 2 weeks of vacation in the summer months at a decent resort. So if I do buy a points contract, am I guaranteed it will get me 2-2bedroom units? Or will I have to buy 2 separate contracts to be sure I have enough points to get me 2 full weeks of vacation. And if it does, how much MFees will that cost? I have even looked at Wyndham, but the MFees for points is ridiculous. If I want to stay at Bonnet Creek, it costs over 200k points for a week in a 2 bedroom in summer/high season. The MFees for 105k points are over $1000. I will need 2 of those contracts to stay in a 2 bedroom at Wyndham for only a week, which will cost me $2000. Its not worth it. I will rent from an owner if I want to stay at Bonnet Creek. I keep rehashing Massanutten resorts and The Colonies, because the 4 bedroom units have LOW MFees. Splitting them into 2-2bedroom units and exchanging them into Florida means I will get 2 weeks of vacation for less than $1500 total including exchange fees. Since I always travel in the Summer, I have learned that if I buy a weeks contract, be sure to get summer high season week. If I get something in Virginia, I can go there occasionally since its within 6 hour driving distance. I have also learned that I should keep my eyes open for an RCI points contract BUT the points can't be used in II. It will restrict just to RCI. So, if II gives a higher trade value for The Colonies, I will not qualify for it if I own RCI points contract. I am not sure how much I care about Interval but it does remove it as an option.
Based on my original post, nothing has really changed much. Here is what I am looking for:

1. I want to pay ONLY 1 MFee per year and be able to get 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom in Orlando area with it. That is TRULY the ultimate goal.
2. Along with reason1, I do not want to pay more than $1500/year. That $1500 has to include: MFees, trade fees, RCI/II membership fee
3. I want to be able to trade into DECENT resorts. I may not get Hiltons, Marriotts ALWAYS but have strong enough Trade Power to see them occasionally.

So basically I still have the same idea as when I started this thread. I have not been discouraged or turned away from Massanutten or The Colonies. You all have given me ideas and suggestions to consider. But it seems the biggest decision is weeks contract vs. points contract. There are a few things out there now, but I think the better deals have gone by. I have to keep my eyes open for the next one.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
@TamaraQT I have had for a few months a 4 BR platinum Regal Vistas at Massanutten (178k points per year) and I am impressed with how much juice I can squeeze from it. Time sharing is indeed about being flexible but you do not have to compromise in quality and fortunately for you there is plenty of inventory in Orlando most of the time. Specific to your question, I can see Hilton at Seaworld for this summer some 2 BR and 3 BR at 23500 points (discounted), others at 73,000 points, the most expensive are 94,000 points .
Hilton Park Soleil ranges from 7500 points (!) to 76500 all for 2 BR.
To me any number of points between 150k-180k per year should be more than enough for you especially since when you book any discounted vacation you will save the balance for the next years.
An additional benefit of the RCI points reservations is that the exchange fee is the same for 7-13 nights (when 13 nights are available) so you can pay only one fee and stay for almost 2 weeks.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
This is available for bidding on ebay right now. Regal Vista, 4 bedroom, week 47, 151000 points per year
Thanks. I am watching that one. It looks like a good deal !!!!

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
@TamaraQT I have had for a few months a 4 BR platinum Regal Vistas at Massanutten (178k points per year) and I am impressed with how much juice I can squeeze from it. Time sharing is indeed about being flexible but you do not have to compromise in quality and fortunately for you there is plenty of inventory in Orlando most of the time. Specific to your question, I can see Hilton at Seaworld for this summer some 2 BR and 3 BR at 23500 points (discounted), others at 73,000 points, the most expensive are 94,000 points .
Hilton Park Soleil ranges from 7500 points (!) to 76500 all for 2 BR.
To me any number of points between 150k-180k per year should be more than enough for you especially since when you book any discounted vacation you will save the balance for the next years.
An additional benefit of the RCI points reservations is that the exchange fee is the same for 7-13 nights (when 13 nights are available) so you can pay only one fee and stay for almost 2 weeks.

Thanks for breaking the point system down. Looking at your numbers makes it more clear to me on WHY I really should consider "points" instead of weeks. Others here have tried to get me to consider points and saying I would be happier. NOW I see why. Because if had 150k points, I can stay at Hilton SeaWorld in a 2 bedroom for less than 75k per week and still have points left over. I could afford to stay there for 2 weeks!!! Now with RCI points, I couldn't use Interval International. But that is ok, because I can buy a weeks contract later if that becomes an issue. I have a better understanding now. So I won't AVOID a points contract any more. I think it still makes sense to buy a timeshare outside of Orlando because of the MFees. I can save a few hundred a year if I buy outside of Orlando and just trade into it. Thanks so much everybody for all your help.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
This is available for bidding on ebay right now. Regal Vista, 4 bedroom, week 47, 151000 points per year

Wait...I have a question. This is deeded as week #47. Will this make a difference because I usually travel between weeks 26-34(summer). Will the deeded week #47 impact my selection to travel during high season? Or is a week #47 considered a high season since its within ski season at that resort? Will it matter? If anyone has any experience with this, please feel free to chime in. Does it matter in the point system to travel outside of your deeded week? Will my points be sufficient to travel during weeks 26-34 if my deeded week is 47?? Thanks.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wait...I have a question. This is deeded as week #47. Will this make a difference because I usually travel between weeks 26-34(summer). Will the deeded week #47 impact my selection to travel during high season? Or is a week #47 considered a high season since its within ski season at that resort? Will it matter? If anyone has any experience with this, please feel free to chime in. Does it matter in the point system to travel outside of your deeded week? Will my points be sufficient to travel during weeks 26-34 if my deeded week is 47?? Thanks.

The deeded week number affects the number of points the ownership gets. I believe the summer months at Massanutten get better points; @DannyTS is getting 178K for the same MF that you would be getting 151K for. He could chime in with which week he owns or you can ask him. This ownership would put you at about .65 cents per point, though, which isn't bad.

As far as the affect of the deeded week on your usage goes, it really only sets what week you can reserve without additional charge through RCI back at your home resort. For this ownership, you could reserve either a 2 BR Regal Vista or a 4 BR Regal Vista unit during week 47 between 12 and 13 months prior to check in; you can reserve closer if it's still available. Outside of week 47 it would cost $50 to reserve a week at your home resort using your ownership. You could also exchange into other resorts in the Vacation Village grouping for a discount, though I don't remember what that is. However, Massanutten always seems to have exchanges available because there are a lot of units there, so it's typically easy to get an extra vacation (bonus) week for just the exchange fee using a certificate given to retail purchasers at Massanutten - those bonus weeks seem to transfer with the ownership. Because of that, there isn't really a good reason to use your ownership to go back to Massanutten. (BTW, you can generally find something to use the bonus week for in Orlando.) Also, if you get this one and the RCI account doesn't include the bonus week, contact someone who owns there to figure out how to get RCI to set it up properly for you so that it is there.