• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering a Massanutten resort to use for trading into Orlando

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Question on trading "The Colonies at Williamsburg" on RCI and II: My recollection is RCI Points is an option for "the Colonies." If you buy a unit there that is enrolled in RCI points, can you still trade it in II?

If it's enrolled in RCI points you can't trade in II. I hadn't heard that it was an option there, though.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
That's the one, and I decided if I get it GREAT...and I can make it work. If not, then I will keep working at it. Fingers crossed. I think it would be a great place to start back into ownership for very little out of pocket. As I get more educated I can expand my portfolio but this can get me back in the ring and learn all the ins and outs again.
You may pay higher fees with SDO but you’ll pull much better resorts. Not to mention a lower exchange fee. You may also want to look into Sheraton vistana resorts or any MVC orlando property. You won’t pay any exchange fee and you’ll be able to get priority in other MVC resorts over other II members. Orlando is easy to get however if you need high demand times it may not be easy. I have vistana villages and even though I pay higher annual fees, I have the ability to use star options and go to much much better resorts. You may not want Orlando every year.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
You may pay higher fees with SDO but you’ll pull much better resorts. Not to mention a lower exchange fee. You may also want to look into Sheraton vistana resorts or any MVC orlando property. You won’t pay any exchange fee and you’ll be able to get priority in other MVC resorts over other II members. Orlando is easy to get however if you need high demand times it may not be easy. I have vistana villages and even though I pay higher annual fees, I have the ability to use star options and go to much much better resorts. You may not want Orlando every year.

I have to agree that it's a balance that you have to decide on for yourself. In fact, OP got a lot of good advice on the Vistana resorts in this thread:

Reading it lead me to conclude that, for me, it made some sense picking up a few Vistana mandatory ownerships right now while prices are in the dirt and I wound up getting a platinum SVV Bella and two platinum plus WSJs for a dollar each plus reimbursing this year's MFs. Hoping they transfer in Vistana in time to bank the SOs, but I figure I can always try to take advantage of the COVID cancellation policy and get this year's SOs as restricted ones good through next year. I do see a lot of elite resorts, including Marriott ones in the Orlando area, using my CWQ in II, though, and I was able to in at least the shoulder seasons before COVID; I tend to compare the costs of how to get to particular resorts through the various methods they're available to me and try to optimize my expenditures looking at the total costs, but I'm at a different point in my life and a lot closer to retirement, for which I'm planning on spending a lot of time in warmer places and nice resorts. I think OP is approaching this the right way and doing her due diligence; either would probably work for her, particularly going to Orlando.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If it's enrolled in RCI points you can't trade in II. I hadn't heard that it was an option there, though.

Two Indications I have that some of the units at the Colonies are RCI Points:
  1. I can book it as a points option in my RCI Points account for stays as short as three days.
  2. Someone is selling week 51 on Redweek now and says it can be used in RCI Points.
Good to know RCI Points and II are not compatible. I actually think I would prefer to own that one in weeks vs points if I ever decide to pull the trigger.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two Indications I have that some of the units at the Colonies are RCI Points:
  1. I can book it as a points option in my RCI Points account for stays as short as three days.
  2. Someone is selling week 51 on Redweek now and says it can be used in RCI Points.
Good to know RCI Points and II are not compatible. I actually think I would prefer to own that one in weeks vs points if I ever decide to pull the trigger.

Interesting to hear. I prefer having it in weeks myself because I use it for PIC Plus in Wyndham to get VIP status and Exchange Plus in Worldmark to get credits. Going through Wyndham, a 4 BR PIC w/Colonies gets me points at a lower cost than my Wyndham Bali Hai contracts and I can turn around and use it through Wyndham-RCI to access RCI Points resorts for shorter stays. I figured I could use it for points for deposit in my RCI Points account if that worked out as being beneficial, but I guess they won't be possible since they're already in RCI Points.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Let's talk numbers here. This is for RCI. Your 2 bedrooms would each get about 19 TPU's, if you deposit week 26, 4th of July. Pretty weak trading power. Sometimes free is not so "free."

I just checked the actual numbers. Hiltons for fall, 2 bedrooms, are 26 points. So you cannot get two Hiltons. Hilton charges $210 per week to stay there as an RCI guest.

You should check the RCI directory for resorts you would likely want. the following resorts are all Gold Crown and nice places. Summer Bay can be had for 14 TPUs for fall weeks. Holiday Inn's Orange Lake River Island is 23 for a fall week. Cypress Point a 3 bedroom is 23 points. Bonnet Creek is about the same number of TPU's as Hilton, but no extra fees involved.

So you pay those TPU's + $239 exchange fee.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let's talk numbers here. This is for RCI. Your 2 bedrooms would each get about 19 TPU's, if you deposit week 26, 4th of July. Pretty weak trading power. Sometimes free is not so "free."

I just checked the actual numbers. Hiltons for fall, 2 bedrooms, are 26 points. So you cannot get two Hiltons. Hilton charges $210 per week to stay there as an RCI guest.

You should check the RCI directory for resorts you would likely want. the following resorts are all Gold Crown and nice places. Summer Bay can be had for 14 TPUs for fall weeks. Holiday Inn's Orange Lake River Island is 23 for a fall week. Cypress Point a 3 bedroom is 23 points. Bonnet Creek is about the same number of TPU's as Hilton, but no extra fees involved.

So you pay those TPU's + $239 exchange fee.

Both The Colonies and Williamsburg Plantation are dual affiliated in RCI and II. In II they are both rated at the premier resort level. With my current Colonies 4 BR LO deposited as two 2 BR weeks in II, I can exchange for elite level resorts fairly consistently, albeit not necessarily at the highest demand times. Those numbers work great for RCI, but I would not use those resorts in RCI for the very reasons you highlight. There are multiple options that can be used to get into Orlando; using RCI would be suboptimal given the higher RCI exchange and membership fees, lower trading power, and lack of access to some of the elite resorts (e.g., Marriott ones). On the plus side for RCI, most VV properties come with extra vacation certificates that allow booking excess availability at varying reservation windows (45 days, 90 days pr 180 days depending on how it was set up in your RCI account) for just the cost of an exchange fee. In my experience, those certificates are good for an exchange worth about 8 or 9 TPUs and it's pretty easy to get Orlando. I agree that it's important to do due diligence and thoroughly research the total cost of an ownership that you want to use for exchanges, but would emphasize that you should look at all the different potential uses. There's also the option of using the smaller independent exchanges (e.g., SFX, DAE, TP), but important to do the due diligence to figure out if they can get you an exchange where you want to go before you give them a week. YMMV

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
My advice would be to back out of that purchase.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What resort is she talking about? Massanutten 4 bedroom at what resort? What week. I am trying to read all of the posts and didn't get that information in my skimming over everything posted.

I would not buy a generic resort after knowing what I know. After 40 years of timeshare ownership, I know a lot and generic weeks tend to start just losing trading power. My Blue Ridge Village 2 bed week 23 used to be a powerful trader, and now it doesn't pick up much through II. I am deeding it back. And it's a nice resort in a pretty area. Massanutten is an area that has a lot of timeshares, and I have seen people call it massa-nothing because there is very little to do. So I haven't even wanted to trade into that resort. Marriott/Vistana are in popular locations and command the high dollar purchase for a reason. So when you can get units free in the Vistana and Marriott system, they are worth a look.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I thought it would be a good idea for us to buy one in Virginia since its within driving distance if we ever want to use it.
You have options. You asked about Massanutten and Williamsburg Plantation. Both are Vacation Village Resorts. I mentioned The Colonies at Williamsburg since it is also VVR and not much further of a drive from Massanutten. It's also one that will get you Marriott/Sheraton in Orlando (through II) while keeping MFs relatively low.
You may pay higher fees with SDO but you’ll pull much better resorts. Not to mention a lower exchange fee.
OP stated she wanted a resort within driving distance, and she didn't want higher MFs. CWQ is a very capable trader that is currently less than $450 for each 2BR of the 4BR LO; we've pulled Marriotts in Orlando (and Hawaii) with it and can currently see availability at the Marriotts and Sheratons in Orlando. There are certainly better traders to get Marriott and Vistana trades, but they come with an increased cost.
Let's talk numbers here. This is for RCI. Your 2 bedrooms would each get about 19 TPU's, if you deposit week 26, 4th of July. Pretty weak trading power.
Our week 26 Colonies would get 27 TPUs for each 2BR in 2021. 54 TPUs aren't the best, but I don't think it's weak.
What resort is she talking about? Massanutten 4 bedroom at what resort? What week.
I don't think OP stated the specific resort and/or week.

Edited to fix format

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She was speaking about a Williamsburg Plantation 4 BR LO Week 30.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
She was speaking about a Williamsburg Plantation 4 BR LO Week 30.
Those would get 25TPU for each side for 2021. August 2021 2BRs or larger with full kitchens in Orlando with Gold Crown ratings (a reasonable proxy for "better" Orlando resorts) range from 21 (Orange Lake West) to 27. But, most of the Vistana Resort 2BRs are 26, at least until you get to the week that spans late August and early September, which drops to 25. So, this is right on the edge of what the OP is looking for if she is considering RCI Weeks.

My advice to the OP: don't buy this unit with the expectation of using it in RCI Weeks for your intended purpose. You are buying something with the express purpose of using it for a specific exchange most years. Depending on what you are hoping for, you are either just over or just under the trade power you need. That's too risky for me; I would want something a little more certain. A shift in supply/demand/etc. in the wrong direction will leave you hanging.

The low MFs per side are tempting, but don't let that obscure the fact that if you don't get what you want out of it, it doesn't matter that it is inexpensive.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those would get 25TPU for each side for 2021. August 2021 2BRs or larger with full kitchens in Orlando with Gold Crown ratings (a reasonable proxy for "better" Orlando resorts) range from 21 (Orange Lake West) to 27. But, most of the Vistana Resort 2BRs are 26, at least until you get to the week that spans late August and early September, which drops to 25. So, this is right on the edge of what the OP is looking for if she is considering RCI Weeks.

My advice to the OP: don't buy this unit with the expectation of using it in RCI Weeks for your intended purpose. You are buying something with the express purpose of using it for a specific exchange most years. Depending on what you are hoping for, you are either just over or just under the trade power you need. That's too risky for me; I would want something a little more certain. A shift in supply/demand/etc. in the wrong direction will leave you hanging.

The low MFs per side are tempting, but don't let that obscure the fact that if you don't get what you want out of it, it doesn't matter that it is inexpensive.

We all seem to be in violent agreement on that. On the other hand there is availability in Orlando in Marriott 2 BR units this August through Interval, though that is no doubt due to the bizarre situation with COVID at least in part. In any case, I know for sure that CWQ has sufficient trading power using a high TDI week to see Marriott 2 BR Orlando weeks when they exist in Interval; not really sure how often they show up because I don't really go there and haven't followed the sightings for that information. Personally, I would be very unlikely to use either CWQ or WPN to exchange in RCI weeks because I can do much better with them for a lower cost in Interval. There could be occasions when I might find something I want in RCI, though, so I have my CWQ listed in my RCI account as well as in my II account.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
It seems that a good II trader isn't always the same as an RCI trader. OP needs to decide whether to stick to II or RCI. RCI has Disney. So if you want Disney, you will have to get a good RCI trader. If you don't care about staying in 1 BR at Disney, then II is a good choice since you have 7 Marriotts and a couple of Vistana resorts there. I can see plenty of 2 BR weeks in II for June 2021 right now.

Cindy makes an important point about changes to trade power in future. What is the exit strategy with WPN/CWQ if they lose trade power? Do they have a deedback option like Wyndham ovations if you are not able to find a buyer?

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Do they have a deedback option like Wyndham ovations if you are not able to find a buyer?
They have a selective deedback option. You just have to call and ask if your resort is currently on the list. After I purchased my CWQ unit, I no longer needed/wanted WPN. I called and was able to deedback my WPN unit.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Personally, I would be very unlikely to use either CWQ or WPN to exchange in RCI weeks because I can do much better with them for a lower cost in Interval. There could be occasions when I might find something I want in RCI, though, so I have my CWQ listed in my RCI account as well as in my II account.
Couldn't agree more. When WPN and CWQ added the RCI affiliation (it used to be exclusive to II) a little more than 2 years ago, I grabbed a special 2-year intro to RCI. The quality of (most) trades were better in II; however, I was able to snag a 2BR Bay Club on the Big Island with RCI. II and SFX did not have availability. I needed a specific week and RCI had it. I had to use nearly all the TPUs from both 2BR deposits, but I got the week I needed. After my 2-year intro ended a few weeks ago, I didn't renew. It seemed RCI had more fees than II. It wasn't all bad. I like the "transparency" of the TPU system. We may not know how they arrived a the value, but at least we know the value and can see how it compares to other resorts. You don't get that with II, and you can't combine weeks.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought an RCI points timeshare to trade into Orlando and have been very happy.

There is no shortage of timeshares in Orlando, but I would say I like the location of the RCI resorts better than the rest if visiting Disneyworld.

The closest resorts are Wyndham Bonnet Creek and Silver Lake Resort, both RCI properties.

Of course, even closer are the DVC properties.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I don't think a 2 bedroom lockoff would work for my family needs. Having 2-1bedroom units will mean I will have to always pay for a room upgrade right? I will always need 2 bedrooms for a few more years before we are empty nesters. I will also have to pay a higher II membership fee to receive the $59 upgrade fee.
The upgrade fee without the higher II membership is $99 (last I checked). That would cost you $198/year in total upgrade fees. If the difference in MF for 2 2BR units is greater than $198 compared to 2 1BR units, then 2 1BR units may be more cost effective...granted this doesn't account for any potential increases in upgrade fees in the future.

So I want to purchase this 4 bedroom with the intent of trading each 2 bedroom for a 2 bedroom unit for each week in Orlando. If one of my units I own only has a partial kitchen, how would it effect my trade into Orlando?
I have to admit that the Partial Kitchen does make me a bit hesitant. I do not want to have to worry about having issues when trading it for an Orlando resort. It may not seem to be a issue but because my deposit would say "PK" it would have potential to be an issue and that does concern me. I don't want to have to worry about it each year I am planning vacation. What do you think? Am I overthinking this and worrying too much? Or does the PK in fact have the potential to be an issue?
You are overthinking it (if that's possible), but it's better than the alternative! I've seen speculation that trade power in II is a combination of resort tier, ratings, and location, as well as room size, kitchen, TDI for week, and time between deposit and check-in. I'm sure I missed an area or 2. Some speculate room size is the biggest factor, but none of us really know. I seriously doubt PK will be an issue; I would not base this purchase on PK.

If I were deciding between WPN and CWQ, I'd buy CWQ. I've owned both. I have no reason other than my gut would be to buy CWQ 4BR LO within weeks 23-34. The weeks are 150 TDI and CWQ has higher member ratings than WPN. There I go speculating... What's good for me, however, may not be for you.

Edited spelling...

Last edited:

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Oh my!!! My head is spinning from all this information o_O Thank you all so much. Keep the suggestions, ideas, advice and knowledge coming. I appreciate it.

Ok...lets break this all down. For the last 6+ years, I have been renting 2 bedroom units from owners on Redweek for anywhere between $400 - $800. We stay a minimum of 2 weeks in Orlando area, sometimes 3weeks. August is our preferred travel month. I have a 14yo daughter who always brings a friend or cousin along so a 2 bedroom is mandatory per stay/week. I am considering owning again if it would be cheaper compared to what I pay for renting. Virginia seems to have many 4 bedrooms available for ownership. So a 4 bedroom that can trade into 2-2bedrooms would be a nice perk.

BOTTOM LINE: A decent trader into ORLANDO with LOW maintenance fees is my ultimate goal.

Now, if MFees for just a 2bedroom is MORE than $800/year then it is NOT worth it since I can rent at that rate or less. But MFees for a 2bedroom at $500/yr would be worth it(4bdrm @ $900/yr equates to $450/2bdrm unit). It MUST pull decent places to trade into (Bonnet Creek, Orange Lake, etc), then it will work. If it strong enough to get Marriotts and Sheratons in July and August then that's IDEAL. Right now we only go to Orlando area. If I purchase something that gets Marriotts and Sheratons in Orlando, I am sure it can get good trades elsewhere when we broaden our horizons down the road.

So here is the question: Do I pull the trigger now or do I continue to wait and do more research and make more comparisons. A week purchase works for me now since I have a lot to learn about points and how to use and work them. Purchasing a small contract(4 bdrm, week #30) in Williamsburg should be a good way to get back in the timeshare game. I may not even win the auction. I don't want to jump out on a purchase with high MFees and/or points until I know what I am doing. A small contract without a lot of fees would be ideal to get me started again.
***Note*** If it doesn't get me the trade value I want, I am sure I can find someone to rent my week #30 in a unit that sleeps 12 for $800. But that's only IF I WIN!!!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh my!!! My head is spinning from all this information o_O Thank you all so much. Keep the suggestions, ideas, advice and knowledge coming. I appreciate it.

Ok...lets break this all down. For the last 6+ years, I have been renting 2 bedroom units from owners on Redweek for anywhere between $400 - $800. We stay a minimum of 2 weeks in Orlando area, sometimes 3weeks. August is our preferred travel month. I have a 14yo daughter who always brings a friend or cousin along so a 2 bedroom is mandatory per stay/week. I am considering owning again if it would be cheaper compared to what I pay for renting. Virginia seems to have many 4 bedrooms available for ownership. So a 4 bedroom that can trade into 2-2bedrooms would be a nice perk.

BOTTOM LINE: A decent trader into ORLANDO with LOW maintenance fees is my ultimate goal.

Now, if MFees for just a 2bedroom is MORE than $800/year then it is NOT worth it since I can rent at that rate or less. But MFees for a 2bedroom at $500/yr would be worth it(4bdrm @ $900/yr equates to $450/2bdrm unit). It MUST pull decent places to trade into (Bonnet Creek, Orange Lake, etc), then it will work. If it strong enough to get Marriotts and Sheratons in July and August then that's IDEAL. Right now we only go to Orlando area. If I purchase something that gets Marriotts and Sheratons in Orlando, I am sure it can get good trades elsewhere when we broaden our horizons down the road.

So here is the question: Do I pull the trigger now or do I continue to wait and do more research and make more comparisons. A week purchase works for me now since I have a lot to learn about points and how to use and work them. Purchasing a small contract(4 bdrm, week #30) in Williamsburg should be a good way to get back in the timeshare game. I may not even win the auction. I don't want to jump out on a purchase with high MFees and/or points until I know what I am doing. A small contract without a lot of fees would be ideal to get me started again.
***Note*** If it doesn't get me the trade value I want, I am sure I can find someone to rent my week #30 in a unit that sleeps 12 for $800. But that's only IF I WIN!!!

Bottom line is that you have to make that decision yourself, of course, but resale TS aren't a bad way to go IMHO. When you do the comparison, though, be sure you include all of the costs for the weeks. On the renting side, it would be the $800. On the exchanging side you should also factor in the exchange company membership fees and exchange fees, prorated on a per week basis. Assuming you are analyzing Williamsburg Plantation (WPN) or the Colonies (CWQ) using Interval to trade, you can find those fees at:

If you pay for a 5-year membership is works out to just under $80 per year or $40 per exchanged week for the two weeks per year you would have with the WPN 4 BR LO exchanged as two 2 BR units. The exchange fee is $209 per week. So the cost for an exchange week using WPN in Interval would be $450 + $40 + $209 = $699.

In addition to exchanging your weeks with Interval, you can use their Getaways to stay in a resort without an exchange. Right now there are 2 BR weeks in the Marriotts in Orlando going for $697. My take is that this is highly influenced by the COVID situation, so I wouldn't count on being able to get those next year or the year after. Similarly, you would periodically get an Accommodation Certificate added to your account by Interval that allows you to exchange into a resort (with some restrictions on what resorts and what unit sizes are available) for the cost of an exchange fee without an underlying week - as a TUG member you can see what is posted as being available to other members using these in the sightings forum (see, e.g., https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/the-2020-random-good-stuff-ac-thread-for-ii.299660/). Lots of Marriott 2 BRs in Orlando available right now for an AC I have in my II account, but again that is very likely due to the COVID situation and I wouldn't necessarily count on that sort of availability in future years. You could go through the older random good stuff ac threads to see what there was last year in a non-COVID situation to see what is more typically available. Orlando has lots of TS, so there is typically something available there.

Also, if you wanted to use RCI as well to improve your flexibility, WPN and CWQ are Vacation Village resorts and VV typically provides an Extra Vacation certificate good for short term availability in some resorts for the RCI exchange fee ($239). If you wind up with the week you're looking at and get an RCI account and don't see the certificate there, you might check with a fellow TUGger that owns VV to get the code and phone number for RCI to activate one. Using one I have, I can see August 2020 2 BR availability at VV Parkway, Villas at Summer Bay by Exploria, Orbit One Vacation Villas, High Point World Resort, and Driftwood Worldgate. No idea how good those resorts are (VV Parkway is RCI gold crown; the next three are silver crown), but that would be another 2 BR week for $239 plus the cost of a year's RCI membership (currently $99 per year - see https://www.rci.com/static/docs/namer/en_US/rci-weeks-disclosure-guide.pdf).

Finally, it's worth considering whether you already have access to the extra vacation types of things without ownership. If you're a veteran or related to one, you can get inexpensive TS rentals through Wyndham's Armed Forces Vacation Club without owning a TS. Here's what's available there in August 2020 for 2 BR weeks:

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have noticed that many Massanutten resorts offered on resale are 4 bedroom units with low MFees. I live in NJ and although Massanutten is only a few hours away, I am not at all interested in staying in Massanutten itself. I would just like to use it to trade into Orlando instead of owning in Orlando with high MFees. However, I do not want to be too limited on which resorts I can get from a Massanutten trade. It appears to have an affiliation with VVP and I am not a fan of that resort. I am looking for a Massanutten with floating weeks to use for summer vacations in Orlando. Can anyone offer me any advice, tips, or info to tell me if it's something worth doing or not. Also if you have used your Massanutten for Orlando and what resort did you stay at? Thanks in Advance.
We own 2 Massanutten 4 BR Summit units, floating weeks. We occasionally use them, but mostly trade. We have gotten some really good trades.
If you are interested in purchasing one, I can make you a great offer. My husband and I can’t travel as much as our timeshare generates. We also own Sheraton.
Please reach out if you are interested in talking about buying. Thanks.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
We own 2 Massanutten 4 BR Summit units, floating weeks. We occasionally use them, but mostly trade. We have gotten some really good trades.
If you are interested in purchasing one, I can make you a great offer. My husband and I can’t travel as much as our timeshare generates. We also own Sheraton.
Please reach out if you are interested in talking about buying. Thanks.
Thanks Ann-Marie, I sent you a PM. Thanks.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Bottom line is that you have to make that decision yourself, of course, but resale TS aren't a bad way to go IMHO. When you do the comparison, though, be sure you include all of the costs for the weeks. On the renting side, it would be the $800. On the exchanging side you should also factor in the exchange company membership fees and exchange fees, prorated on a per week basis. Assuming you are analyzing Williamsburg Plantation (WPN) or the Colonies (CWQ) using Interval to trade, you can find those fees at:

If you pay for a 5-year membership is works out to just under $80 per year or $40 per exchanged week for the two weeks per year you would have with the WPN 4 BR LO exchanged as two 2 BR units. The exchange fee is $209 per week. So the cost for an exchange week using WPN in Interval would be $450 + $40 + $209 = $699.

In addition to exchanging your weeks with Interval, you can use their Getaways to stay in a resort without an exchange. Right now there are 2 BR weeks in the Marriotts in Orlando going for $697. My take is that this is highly influenced by the COVID situation, so I wouldn't count on being able to get those next year or the year after. Similarly, you would periodically get an Accommodation Certificate added to your account by Interval that allows you to exchange into a resort (with some restrictions on what resorts and what unit sizes are available) for the cost of an exchange fee without an underlying week - as a TUG member you can see what is posted as being available to other members using these in the sightings forum (see, e.g., https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/the-2020-random-good-stuff-ac-thread-for-ii.299660/). Lots of Marriott 2 BRs in Orlando available right now for an AC I have in my II account, but again that is very likely due to the COVID situation and I wouldn't necessarily count on that sort of availability in future years. You could go through the older random good stuff ac threads to see what there was last year in a non-COVID situation to see what is more typically available. Orlando has lots of TS, so there is typically something available there.

Also, if you wanted to use RCI as well to improve your flexibility, WPN and CWQ are Vacation Village resorts and VV typically provides an Extra Vacation certificate good for short term availability in some resorts for the RCI exchange fee ($239). If you wind up with the week you're looking at and get an RCI account and don't see the certificate there, you might check with a fellow TUGger that owns VV to get the code and phone number for RCI to activate one. Using one I have, I can see August 2020 2 BR availability at VV Parkway, Villas at Summer Bay by Exploria, Orbit One Vacation Villas, High Point World Resort, and Driftwood Worldgate. No idea how good those resorts are (VV Parkway is RCI gold crown; the next three are silver crown), but that would be another 2 BR week for $239 plus the cost of a year's RCI membership (currently $99 per year - see https://www.rci.com/static/docs/namer/en_US/rci-weeks-disclosure-guide.pdf).

Finally, it's worth considering whether you already have access to the extra vacation types of things without ownership. If you're a veteran or related to one, you can get inexpensive TS rentals through Wyndham's Armed Forces Vacation Club without owning a TS. Here's what's available there in August 2020 for 2 BR weeks:

Ok Eric,
I took a look at the Armed Forces Vacation Club link, and those prices are not much different than what I can find on "Endless Vacations" websites and also are comparable to offerings on SkyAuction. But I appreciate you giving me a peek to get an idea.

Now, because of how this factors out, it is questionable if ownership will be worth it or not. If it practically costs me $700/year with having to do the work for an exchange, it may be better to pay $700-$800 to rent directly from an owner and not have any work to do except decide where I want to stay. Even here on TUG I can always find last minute rentals guaranteed to be priced at $800 or less. So is it worth owning or not?? I'm going to have to make up my mind.

I can see August 2020 2 BR availability at VV Parkway, Villas at Summer Bay by Exploria, Orbit One Vacation Villas, High Point World Resort, and Driftwood Worldgate. No idea how good those resorts are (VV Parkway is RCI gold crown; the next three are silver crown), but that would be another 2 BR week for $239 plus the cost of a year's RCI membership
Now this is interesting and appealing. I would be willing to stay in those resorts, but ONLY with a Vacation Certificate, not as an exchange. Out of those choices, I would choose Summer Bay. I would prefer to use my 2-2bedroom exchanges ($850) into more upscale resorts than those listed above. But basically, I can stay in Orlando for 3 full weeks with 2 bedroom accommodations for less than $1200. Now THOSE NUMBERS makes it more favorable.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Now, because of how this factors out, it is questionable if ownership will be worth it or not. If it practically costs me $700/year with having to do the work for an exchange, it may be better to pay $700-$800 to rent directly from an owner and not have any work to do except decide where I want to stay. Even here on TUG I can always find last minute rentals guaranteed to be priced at $800 or less. So is it worth owning or not?? I'm going to have to make up my mind.

That was $700 for each week. Given the small difference between that and what you're paying for rentals it might not be worth it, particularly if you include the intangible value of not having to deal with exiting the TS ownership when you don't want to use it any more. Frankly, I probably wouldn't buy in for the purpose of going to Orlando or other similar locations with a lot of options. I consider my ownerships worthwhile for going elsewhere, though.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
That was $700 for each week. Given the small difference between that and what you're paying for rentals it might not be worth it, particularly if you include the intangible value of not having to deal with exiting the TS ownership when you don't want to use it any more. Frankly, I probably wouldn't buy in for the purpose of going to Orlando or other similar locations with a lot of options. I consider my ownerships worthwhile for going elsewhere, though.
Yeah....its starting not to look good now. Even a less expensive MFees contract may not be worth it if I am only going to Orlando. Renting may be my best option. HOWEVER, if it comes down to a total of $700-$800 a week I would be paying that anyway. But I won't be able to have an extra vacation certificate. So staying in Orlando for 3 weeks without owning and without vacation certificate can cost me $2100-$2400. If I own, then 3 weeks will cost me $1700-$2000. It is still less, but not by much.