• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering a Massanutten resort to use for trading into Orlando

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I have noticed that many Massanutten resorts offered on resale are 4 bedroom units with low MFees. I live in NJ and although Massanutten is only a few hours away, I am not at all interested in staying in Massanutten itself. I would just like to use it to trade into Orlando instead of owning in Orlando with high MFees. However, I do not want to be too limited on which resorts I can get from a Massanutten trade. It appears to have an affiliation with VVP and I am not a fan of that resort. I am looking for a Massanutten with floating weeks to use for summer vacations in Orlando. Can anyone offer me any advice, tips, or info to tell me if it's something worth doing or not. Also if you have used your Massanutten for Orlando and what resort did you stay at? Thanks in Advance.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I am very pleased with my Massanutten (Woodstone) ownership that I mostly use to trade in RCI points. Regal Vistas and Woodstone both offer excellent RCI Points per MF ratio value (you want red weeks, and especially in RCI weeks you would want peak Red Weeks).

Many people own Massanutten “week” properties but I would not 1) because I prefer points and 2) I fear it might be hard to get out of a Massanutten weeks ownership. Most if not all of them will sell on eBay ranging for $1 to being sold with the seller Prepaying MFs and a $250 prepaid credit card.

If by trading into Orlando you mean DVC, I would go with RCI Points versus Weeks. You will have more inventory to potentially book. Massanutten points properties (that offer good value) do not have a huge market, but if you keep am eye out for a few months you may be able to find a deal.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have noticed that many Massanutten resorts offered on resale are 4 bedroom units with low MFees. I live in NJ and although Massanutten is only a few hours away, I am not at all interested in staying in Massanutten itself. I would just like to use it to trade into Orlando instead of owning in Orlando with high MFees. However, I do not want to be too limited on which resorts I can get from a Massanutten trade. It appears to have an affiliation with VVP and I am not a fan of that resort. I am looking for a Massanutten with floating weeks to use for summer vacations in Orlando. Can anyone offer me any advice, tips, or info to tell me if it's something worth doing or not. Also if you have used your Massanutten for Orlando and what resort did you stay at? Thanks in Advance.
If it’s points it’s worth it. I have a 4 bedroom every other year split into 2 bedrooms annually. So it’s 89K points. I’m a bit worried about it though. Worried that I won’t be able to use all of these points along with my other ownerships. Lol

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I am very pleased with my Massanutten (Woodstone) ownership that I mostly use to trade in RCI points. Regal Vistas and Woodstone both offer excellent RCI Points per MR ratio value (you want red weeks, and especially in RCI weeks you would want peak Red Weeks).

Many people own Massanutten “week” properties but I would not 1) because I prefer points and 2) I fear it might be hard to get out of a Massanutten weeks ownership. Most if not all of them will sell on eBay ranging for $1 to being sold with the seller Prepaying MFs and a $250 prepaid credit card.

If by trading into Orlando you mean DVC, I would go with RCI Points versus Weeks. You will have more inventory to potentially book. Massanutten points properties (that offer good value) do not have a huge market, but if you keep am eye out for a few months you may be able to find a deal.
I am not looking to trade into DVC, but I am sure if a Massanutten can pull a DVC then it can pull a Sheraton or Marriott or possibly Wyndham. I really just want to trade into resorts around the Orlando/Kissimmee/LBV area resorts. I was wondering if Massanutten resorts have strong enough trade power to pull Sheratons, Marriotts, HICV Orange Lake and places like that. I see a lot of comments about VVP but I would not be interested in staying there often. I don't want to buy a Massanutten contract that is only good for the lower end resorts like Legacy, Diamond Resorts, etc. Its not worth it unless trades for the higher end resorts. If not, then I will continue to rent. I met someone on Disboards who owns at a resort in the Ozarks in Missouri and she gets Marriott Harbour Lake and Grande Vista with her trades thru Interval International. That is what I am looking for. I thought it would be a good idea for us to buy one in Virginia since its within driving distance if we ever want to use it.

If it’s points it’s worth it. I have a 4 bedroom every other year split into 2 bedrooms annually. So it’s 89K points. I’m a bit worried about it though. Worried that I won’t be able to use all of these points along with my other ownerships. Lol
I thought I read somewhere here on TUG that if you buy a points contract at Massanutten, after 2 years it will revert back to a weeks system. Maybe I misunderstood. I think there is currently a points contract on eBay for Regal Vistas. But I haven't done enough homework yet to jump on that. No need to dive in head first until I fully know what I want. But I will keep my eyes open for a points contract instead of weeks. Maybe others will see this post and come on here and talk about their experiences too. It sounds like you have a point system and its probably what I need. I just have to be sure that a points package will be enough to land me a 2 - 2bedrom units for Florida every year in August at some of the nicer resorts. Since we go to Orlando in August and stay for 2 to 3 weeks, I need something I can use to get 2 weeks a year, not including the "getaway certificates" that the trading companies offer.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I am not looking to trade into DVC, but I am sure if a Massanutten can pull a DVC then it can pull a Sheraton or Marriott or possibly Wyndham. I really just want to trade into resorts around the Orlando/Kissimmee/LBV area resorts. I was wondering if Massanutten resorts have strong enough trade power to pull Sheratons, Marriotts, HICV Orange Lake and places like that. I see a lot of comments about VVP but I would not be interested in staying there often. I don't want to buy a Massanutten contract that is only good for the lower end resorts like Legacy, Diamond Resorts, etc. Its not worth it unless trades for the higher end resorts. If not, then I will continue to rent. I met someone on Disboards who owns at a resort in the Ozarks in Missouri and she gets Marriott Harbour Lake and Grande Vista with her trades thru Interval International. That is what I am looking for. I thought it would be a good idea for us to buy one in Virginia since its within driving distance if we ever want to use it.

I thought I read somewhere here on TUG that if you buy a points contract at Massanutten, after 2 years it will revert back to a weeks system. Maybe I misunderstood. I think there is currently a points contract on eBay for Regal Vistas. But I haven't done enough homework yet to jump on that. No need to dive in head first until I fully know what I want. But I will keep my eyes open for a points contract instead of weeks. Maybe others will see this post and come on here and talk about their experiences too. It sounds like you have a point system and its probably what I need. I just have to be sure that a points package will be enough to land me a 2 - 2bedrom units for Florida every year in August at some of the nicer resorts. Since we go to Orlando in August and stay for 2 to 3 weeks, I need something I can use to get 2 weeks a year, not including the "getaway certificates" that the trading companies offer.

no, regal won’t pull Marriott at all... Marriott is in interval. There are two phases of Sheraton vistana resort that is in RCI. I have seen availability in points. You want a points contract NOT weeks. Make sure it’s points, i can’t stress that enough.

Not true. If it’s a points contract it’s a points contract.

if orlando is what you want, I’d look into a Sheraton vistana villages key west or Bella section platinum unit or a Marriott orlando unit. In interval you’ll be able to get free award certificates. Any time I’ve come to Orlando (here now 5 weeks at Marriott grand vista) I’ve only used award certificates and paid the exchange fee. you will also get great deals on getaways.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Mountainside Villas at Massanutten is dual affiliated with RCI & II; I own a week 51 there, but haven’t added it to my II account yet. Not sure what it would pull in II yet. BTW, Massanutten is part of VV, not just affiliated with them. Other options in that group are The Colonies at Williamsburg and Williamsburg Plantation, both dual-affiliated and II premier resorts; Mountainside is a boutique one. I believe that makes them a bit higher in the pecking order and they have comparable MFs to Massanutten at the 4 BR level. They would get you into Orlando resorts fairly well through II, though a Sheraton Vistana Villages Bella or Key West would get you other flexibility in Vistana bookings. Cost for MF for a Sheraton is higher than the others plus exchange fees, but it’s a trade off you would have to figure out yourself.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just have to be sure that a points package will be enough to land me a 2 - 2bedrom units for Florida every year in August at some of the nicer resorts.
Based on a very quick perusal of the Deposit Calculator on RCI, and comparing that to the current values of 2BR Orlando deposits for 8/2021, I do not think Massanutten will get you 1-for-1 exchanges in Weeks for what you are looking for. However, Mass. also has a trade power boost program, which can be combined (for a fee) with other deposits to get you there. However, that means you will be (a) pre-paying MFs quite early, (b) will have to pay a combine fee, and (c) will have to pay an RCI exchange fee. At that point, it might be less expensive to own something (e.g. Wyndham) you can use to book directly.

Points might work out much better for you--I think that is true for most of the VV resorts--but I don't understand Points that well.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on the uncertainty of how long COVID-19 will impact travel there is no way I would buy anything particularly to trade. I'd rent until (if ever) things return to normal...

George

Lovinglife_30

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own weeks via Massanutten. Week 16 at Shenedoah Villas which is a 3 bedroom I split the week and can get 24 TPU, I also Own a floating week in the Summit, I can normally get about 54 TPU, its a 4 bedroom which i break up and pick the best week. I have traded into Holiday Inn Orange lake which was 7 TPU on sale for a August week and Summer Bay August beginning week 12 TPU. I honestly have not looked at the Marriott or the Sheraton. I also suggest if you buy weeks to pay your maintenance fees early, sometimes they offer a trading power boost if you do. I also should mention I have been able to get into OC MD with these timeshares every year for summer. Best of luck too you.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I have noticed that many Massanutten resorts offered on resale are 4 bedroom units with low MFees. I live in NJ and although Massanutten is only a few hours away, I am not at all interested in staying in Massanutten itself. I would just like to use it to trade into Orlando instead of owning in Orlando with high MFees.
I am not looking to trade into DVC, but I am sure if a Massanutten can pull a DVC then it can pull a Sheraton or Marriott or possibly Wyndham. I really just want to trade into resorts around the Orlando/Kissimmee/LBV area resorts. I was wondering if Massanutten resorts have strong enough trade power to pull Sheratons, Marriotts, HICV Orange Lake and places like that. I see a lot of comments about VVP but I would not be interested in staying there often. I don't want to buy a Massanutten contract that is only good for the lower end resorts like Legacy, Diamond Resorts, etc.
no, regal won’t pull Marriott at all... Marriott is in interval. There are two phases of Sheraton vistana resort that is in RCI. I have seen availability in points. You want a points contract NOT weeks. Make sure it’s points, i can’t stress that enough.
@CPNY is correct. If your primary interest is an inexpensive trader into Marriott and Sheraton in Orlando, you need a unit that trades with II. I recommend The Colonies in Williamsburg; it's a sister resort to Massanutten and is capable of pulling Sheraton and Marriott. Like Massanutten, they have 4BRs which LO into 2 2BR units; MFs are comparable to Massanuttten. Unlike Massanutten, it's dual affiliated with II and RCI. You can use both if you like.

Here's what I currently see available using The Colonies in Interval:
Marriott: Lakeshore Reserve, Cypress Harbour, Grande Vista, Harbour Lake, Royal Palms, Sabal Palms, Imperial Palms
Sheraton: Vistana Resort, Vistana Villages

Here are some of my previous trades in Interval:
Florida: Marriott's Grande Vista 3BR, 2BR; Marriott's Cypress Harbour 2BR (multiple, one was for 4th of July)
Hawaii: Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club 2BR; Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club 1BR, studio; Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas 1BR x2; Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas 2BR; Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas 1BR; Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North studio
Mexico: Vidanta Grand Luxxe 4BR, 3BR, 2BR; Las Residencias Golf & Beach Club 3BR; Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa 2BR
Lake Tahoe: Hyatt High Sierra Lodge 2BR (prime late-Feb ski week); Marriott's Grand Residence 1BR

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
@CPNY is correct. If your primary interest is an inexpensive trader into Marriott and Sheraton in Orlando, you need a unit that trades with II. I recommend The Colonies in Williamsburg; it's a sister resort to Massanutten and is capable of pulling Sheraton and Marriott. Like Massanutten, they have 4BRs which LO into 2 2BR units; MFs are comparable to Massanuttten. Unlike Massanutten, it's dual affiliated with II and RCI. You can use both if you like.

Here's what I currently see available using The Colonies in Interval:
Marriott: Lakeshore Reserve, Cypress Harbour, Grande Vista, Harbour Lake, Royal Palms, Sabal Palms, Imperial Palms
Sheraton: Vistana Resort, Vistana Villages

Here are some of my previous trades in Interval:
Florida: Marriott's Grande Vista 3BR, 2BR; Marriott's Cypress Harbour 2BR (multiple, one was for 4th of July)
Hawaii: Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club 2BR; Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club 1BR, studio; Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas 1BR x2; Westin Nanea Ocean Resort Villas 2BR; Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas 1BR; Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort North studio
Mexico: Vidanta Grand Luxxe 4BR, 3BR, 2BR; Las Residencias Golf & Beach Club 3BR; Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa 2BR
Lake Tahoe: Hyatt High Sierra Lodge 2BR (prime late-Feb ski week); Marriott's Grand Residence 1BR

What about Williamsburg Plantation? Is that a good trader with Interval International ?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I just picked up a Williamsburg Plantation EOYE, but it hasn't transferred yet and I haven't tried it myself. I have acquaintances that have used their ownership there (resale of course) to get exchanges as good as I've got with the Colonies through Interval. There do seem to be a lot more resale Williamsburg Plantation weeks available resale right now; not really sure why the difference exists. In any case, you want to be sure the week you get is during the high season there; it's in TDI 29 and has the highest demand in weeks 23-34. (The Colonies is in the same region, of course.)
1592307591284.png

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BTW, both The Colonies and Williamsburg Plantation allow pets if you ever want to go there yourself and have a dog....

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
BTW, both The Colonies and Williamsburg Plantation allow pets if you ever want to go there yourself and have a dog....

Allowing pets may be the deal breaker for me. It is one of the many reasons I gave up my Westgate Lakes ownership when they started allowing pets. I have a daughter with severe allergies so that is not a positive amenity for me. However, the week I have my eye on is a week 30. I wanted to do points, but if this is a good trader for Orlando it will work. However, I wanted to buy into a timeshare I would use. I am not going to want to go somewhere that allow pets so this will definitely be used for trade purposes only if I go for it. Also the possibility of renting the unit is a good options due to low maintenance fees. Thanks for sharing that info.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Allowing pets may be the deal breaker for me. It is one of the many reasons I gave up my Westgate Lakes ownership when they started allowing pets. I have a daughter with severe allergies so that is not a positive amenity for me. However, the week I have my eye on is a week 30. I wanted to do points, but if this is a good trader for Orlando it will work. However, I wanted to buy into a timeshare I would use. I am not going to want to go somewhere that allow pets so this will definitely be used for trade purposes only if I go for it. Also the possibility of renting the unit is a good options due to low maintenance fees. Thanks for sharing that info.

They're restricted to specific buildings and you have to request in advance by contacting the resort. Best to be forewarned if you have allergies, of course, and you could deal with it by contacting them in advance and requesting the opposite - no assignment to the buildings they use for pets. Week 30 should be a good one there as a trader; the one I'm waiting for transfer of is a week 24 starting in 2022 with no MFs until 2022; cost was $1 with seller paying for the transfer and closing for comparison.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
They're restricted to specific buildings and you have to request in advance by contacting the resort. Best to be forewarned if you have allergies, of course, and you could deal with it by contacting them in advance and requesting the opposite - no assignment to the buildings they use for pets. Week 30 should be a good one there as a trader; the one I'm waiting for transfer of is a week 24 starting in 2022 with no MFs until 2022; cost was $1 with seller paying for the transfer and closing for comparison.

I did send the seller request for information such as the 'assigned unit #' on the deed. I am beginning to think that if this deal happens for me it will be great and I will use it as a trader into Orlando to pull some good resorts. Right now, my family is only interested in the Orlando area so this will work for such low maintenance fees. Also I noticed in the TripAdvisor pics that some units have a partial kitchen. Should I ask the seller for a floorplan of what they own? Or is that unimportant/irrelevant for a 4 bedroom. I am thinking if I use each 2 bedroom as a trader into Orlando, I will not be given a 2 bedroom unit with a partial kitchen in Orlando. I really don't know if Orlando has resorts with only a partial kitchen in a 2 bedroom, so that may not matter. Or will it? What has been your experience? Have you ever been restricted on 2 bedroom choice because of a trade having only a partial kitchen? Should I be concerned about that? Because here is my honest intent. When I stay in Orlando for 2 weeks, I always rent a 2 bedroom for each week. So I want to purchase this 4 bedroom with the intent of trading each 2 bedroom for a 2 bedroom unit for each week in Orlando. If one of my units I own only has a partial kitchen, how would it effect my trade into Orlando? Or would it even be an issue? What do you think? I hope someone has some experience with this and chimes in. If you have experience with this, that will be great for you to share. Thank you so much for your help, knowledge and advice. Anything else you think of, please let me know.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's what it says about kitchens on the VV web site:
  • A Suite kitchens are fully equipped with stove, dishwasher, full-size refrigerator with ice maker, microwave convection oven, drip coffee maker, and toaster
  • B Suite kitchens feature many of the same amenities as Suite A with the exception of the stove and, in only a few rooms, a dishwasher
My experience with other resorts that have similar PK/FK set ups is that it doesn't really matter much to the trading power of the weeks. With the Colonies, both sides have full kitchens, but at Massanutten some of the resorts have PK/FK. It made a difference in the number of points for one I had in RCI points, but didn't for RCI points for deposit for a non-points one. I wouldn't worry about it for trading into Orlando, or any other high-TS density are, in particular. In II it shows two different size 2 BR units there; one sleeps 6 and one sleeps 8; I'm not sure that would have much effect, either, though. The folks I knew with a 4 BR Williamsburg Plantation were using theirs as two 2 BR units to trade into Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta 3 BR Presidential units each year by paying the room size upgrade fee.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would buy a Sheraton Desert Oasis lockoff unit for trades into Orlando through II, The fees are about $1,200/yr, but you can get two one bedroom deposits, and those are powerful traders. Sheraton Broadway Plantation also works well. Love my SBP trading power, but I think SDO is slightly higher.

Honestly, there are so many resorts out there, but you should buy something you would like to visit occasionally. Exchange fees from Sheraton to Marriott and other Sheratons is the winner here. $154 for an exchange. RCI exchange fees are $239 for weeks. If you have a platinum II membership, $59 for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom from a one bedroom and free guest certificates. The smaller side of the lockoffs are considered one bedrooms, not studios, because they have kitchens.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I did send the seller request for information such as the 'assigned unit #' on the deed. I am beginning to think that if this deal happens for me it will be great and I will use it as a trader into Orlando to pull some good resorts. Right now, my family is only interested in the Orlando area so this will work for such low maintenance fees. Also I noticed in the TripAdvisor pics that some units have a partial kitchen. Should I ask the seller for a floorplan of what they own? Or is that unimportant/irrelevant for a 4 bedroom. I am thinking if I use each 2 bedroom as a trader into Orlando, I will not be given a 2 bedroom unit with a partial kitchen in Orlando. I really don't know if Orlando has resorts with only a partial kitchen in a 2 bedroom, so that may not matter. Or will it? What has been your experience? Have you ever been restricted on 2 bedroom choice because of a trade having only a partial kitchen? Should I be concerned about that? Because here is my honest intent. When I stay in Orlando for 2 weeks, I always rent a 2 bedroom for each week. So I want to purchase this 4 bedroom with the intent of trading each 2 bedroom for a 2 bedroom unit for each week in Orlando. If one of my units I own only has a partial kitchen, how would it effect my trade into Orlando? Or would it even be an issue? What do you think? I hope someone has some experience with this and chimes in. If you have experience with this, that will be great for you to share. Thank you so much for your help, knowledge and advice. Anything else you think of, please let me know.
It depends how many points you can get in weeks what you can pull. RCI has Bonnet Creek and the Hilton resorts. But Hilton is now charging $30 per night for "activity fee" to exchangers through RCI.

Each resort is assigned a certain number of trading power units for the deposit. If you are getting RCI Points, those can be better or worse, depending on where you want to go.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
Here's what it says about kitchens on the VV web site:
  • A Suite kitchens are fully equipped with stove, dishwasher, full-size refrigerator with ice maker, microwave convection oven, drip coffee maker, and toaster
  • B Suite kitchens feature many of the same amenities as Suite A with the exception of the stove and, in only a few rooms, a dishwasher
My experience with other resorts that have similar PK/FK set ups is that it doesn't really matter much to the trading power of the weeks. With the Colonies, both sides have full kitchens, but at Massanutten some of the resorts have PK/FK. It made a difference in the number of points for one I had in RCI points, but didn't for RCI points for deposit for a non-points one. I wouldn't worry about it for trading into Orlando, or any other high-TS density are, in particular. In II it shows two different size 2 BR units there; one sleeps 6 and one sleeps 8; I'm not sure that would have much effect, either, though. The folks I knew with a 4 BR Williamsburg Plantation were using theirs as two 2 BR units to trade into Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta 3 BR Presidential units each year by paying the room size upgrade fee.
I have to admit that the Partial Kitchen does make me a bit hesitant. I do not want to have to worry about having issues when trading it for an Orlando resort. It may not seem to be a issue but because my deposit would say "PK" it would have potential to be an issue and that does concern me. I don't want to have to worry about it each year I am planning vacation. What do you think? Am I overthinking this and worrying too much? Or does the PK in fact have the potential to be an issue? Maybe if I want to do this, I better wait for a Colonies 4bedroom to become available so I will always have 2 full kitchens to trade. What do you think?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've heard good things about SDO as a trader in II. For comparison, though, CWQ and WPN 4 BR LOs give you two 2 BR weeks as potential uses with MF of ~$850 and trade in II as well as RCI; the II exchange fees might be a bit higher than using a Sheraton as a trader ($209) and you'd have to factor in the II membership fee ($99 annual; comes free w/Sheraton ownership IIRC), but bottom line can wind up less expensive ($850/2+$99/2+$209 = $683.50 for a 2 BR week using CWQ or WPN v. $1200/2 + $154 = $754 using SDO).

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have to admit that the Partial Kitchen does make me a bit hesitant. I do not want to have to worry about having issues when trading it for an Orlando resort. It may not seem to be a issue but because my deposit would say "PK" it would have potential to be an issue and that does concern me. I don't want to have to worry about it each year I am planning vacation. What do you think? Am I overthinking this and worrying too much? Or does the PK in fact have the potential to be an issue? Maybe if I want to do this, I better wait for a Colonies 4bedroom to become available so I will always have 2 full kitchens to trade. What do you think?

IMHO it wouldn't make much difference; that's why I picked up the EOYE Williamsburg Plantation in addition to The Colonies annual 4 BR I already have. There isn't any rush to pick up a TS, of course, and it might be worth waiting if you ever anticipate going there using your ownership and want to avoid having a B side unit with a partial kitchen. If it's the week 30 on eBay right now and you can get it for $1 with the seller paying closing and transfer costs it's not a bad deal. You'd have to decide for yourself, though, of course.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
I would buy a Sheraton Desert Oasis lockoff unit for trades into Orlando through II, The fees are about $1,200/yr, but you can get two one bedroom deposits, and those are powerful traders. Sheraton Broadway Plantation also works well. Love my SBP trading power, but I think SDO is slightly higher.

Honestly, there are so many resorts out there, but you should buy something you would like to visit occasionally. Exchange fees from Sheraton to Marriott and other Sheratons is the winner here. $154 for an exchange. RCI exchange fees are $239 for weeks. If you have a platinum II membership, $59 for an upgrade to a 2 bedroom from a one bedroom and free guest certificates. The smaller side of the lockoffs are considered one bedrooms, not studios, because they have kitchens.

I don't think a 2 bedroom lockoff would work for my family needs. Having 2-1bedroom units will mean I will have to always pay for a room upgrade right? I will always need 2 bedrooms for a few more years before we are empty nesters. I will also have to pay a higher II membership fee to receive the $59 upgrade fee. Also, SDO Mfees are $1200/yr for a 2 bedroom. Williamsburg Plantation/Colonies are under $900/yr for a 4 bedroom that can be divided into 2 bedrooms. Which basically equates to MFees being less than $500/yr for each 2 bedroom unit. Although SDO may have a higher trade value, it also comes with higher MFees for smaller units. And my main objective is to buy into less MFees with decent trade power for Orlando since Orlando MFees are higher. I was STRONGLY considering SDO or SBP a few months ago. Then I was being told about the StarOption points if I buy into a "Mandatory" resort. However, those come with high MFees and that is what I am trying to avoid. I want the perks but not the price. Just trying to see if I can buy in Williamsburg and get trade power for Sheratons, Marriotts, even Holiday Inn Club Vacations. I don't want to pay MFees of $1000 because I can rent a week from an owner for less than that. It has to be beneficial for me to do it. I appreciate your help, so if you have any other suggestions and advice please share. I am really trying to make up my mind on if I should go into Timeshare ownership again or not.

TamaraQT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village
Woodstone
The Colonies
IMHO it wouldn't make much difference; that's why I picked up the EOYE Williamsburg Plantation in addition to The Colonies annual 4 BR I already have. There isn't any rush to pick up a TS, of course, and it might be worth waiting if you ever anticipate going there using your ownership and want to avoid having a B side unit with a partial kitchen. If it's the week 30 on eBay right now and you can get it for $1 with the seller paying closing and transfer costs it's not a bad deal. You'd have to decide for yourself, though, of course.
That's the one, and I decided if I get it GREAT...and I can make it work. If not, then I will keep working at it. Fingers crossed. I think it would be a great place to start back into ownership for very little out of pocket. As I get more educated I can expand my portfolio but this can get me back in the ring and learn all the ins and outs again.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
Other options in that group are The Colonies at Williamsburg and Williamsburg Plantation, both dual-affiliated and II premier resorts; Mountainside is a boutique one. I believe that makes them a bit higher in the pecking order and they have comparable MFs to Massanutten at the 4 BR level.

Question on trading "The Colonies at Williamsburg" on RCI and II: My recollection is RCI Points is an option for "the Colonies." If you buy a unit there that is enrolled in RCI points, can you still trade it in II?