• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering 2br annual WKORV Garden

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are considering a 2br annual wkorv garden view. We have gone there about every other year from renting on redweek and enjoy it. Wondering what changes to the system we should be aware of as we consider this. It would be a transfer from a family member (parent), so I presume the star points eligibility should be grandfathered. We would want the flexibility of trading and using points, but we are usually limits by school vacations, so recognize there are some limitations and would need to plan very far ahead. I am not opposed to renting it on redweek or here for weeks when we know we may vacation a different way. Have a good network, so it should be pretty doable to get maintenance fees covered at least, I hope. We would love to trade into a high week at Westin skiing, but not sure if that is at all even possible. Would love any suggestions or updates on the new systems of what to expect.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
WKORV and WKORV-N so the StarOptions would transfer regardless of whether it is a sale to family. The benefit to transferring to a family member is that it is treated as a developer purchase so your ability to transfer to Bonvoy (previously Starpoints) would be preserved.

So far there have been no real changes to the system announced and I don't think anyone really knows what changes are coming. The only indications that have been made are that somehow the Vistana resorts will be brought into the Marriott system (what mechanism that would be is unclear). It's a great resort and if you've enjoyed going there it should not matter what happens to the system in the future. You will still have VOI at an in demand resort.

The Maui resorts are relatively expensive if you are wanting to use it for trading. You're probably better off renting and then using the money to rent a week elsewhere.

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jabberwocky and carpie99. Based on maintenance fees for 2020, 2581.01, I think it is deluxe ocean view, owned in the south building. Will check.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar

$3750
If that's a sale it doesn't specify view and frequency. I'd guess at that price it's EOY and maybe even Island (Parking Lot) View.

With regards rental of non-Ocean Front/Ocean View units I'd say on average it's 50/50 as to whether you'd cover your maintenance fees with those odds increasing significantly if your reservation is in the Jun-Aug time frame.

Mcjohan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN/OF, WLR
If that's a sale it doesn't specify view and frequency. I'd guess at that price it's EOY and maybe even Island (Parking Lot) View.

With regards rental of non-Ocean Front/Ocean View units I'd say on average it's 50/50 as to whether you'd cover your maintenance fees with those odds increasing significantly if your reservation is in the Jun-Aug time frame.

I looked at the listing yesterday, in the details it said it was EOY-O/island

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Island View Villas face the parking lot - that's a deal killer for me.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
In fairness to the OP I believe their family already owns the week. They are just wondering about taking it over. I'm not sure what the relevance of the eBay ad is other than to show the value of the week on the resale market is not high.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
OP should be aware that MF's at WKORV are artificially low for 2020; our HOA received a large refund from the County of Maui for overpaid (extorted) property taxes. My credit for 2020 was about $461 for a premium 2bd unit; it was about $636 for a deluxe unit. See https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/10-7-million-refund-for-wkorv-n-owners.298116/

This means that MF's will almost certainly increase by at least these amounts in 2021.

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone who commented. Since I posted previously, I have learned more and it is garden view in the North (WKORV-N). I am not sure if it is one annual, or two eoy, but seems like the effective result is the same.

Now, we are turning our attention to the probate process. I have done a search in the forums on the keyword "probate" and learned a lot. In our case, they were titled directly (no trust) under co-ownership with some close friends. I would love to hear any experiences from tuggers who have gone through the small-estate hawaii probate process, whether doing it themselves, using a local lawyer, and relative costs/timelines.

Thank you.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Many thanks to everyone who commented. Since I posted previously, I have learned more and it is garden view in the North (WKORV-N). I am not sure if it is one annual, or two eoy, but seems like the effective result is the same.

Now, we are turning our attention to the probate process. I have done a search in the forums on the keyword "probate" and learned a lot. In our case, they were titled directly (no trust) under co-ownership with some close friends. I would love to hear any experiences from tuggers who have gone through the small-estate hawaii probate process, whether doing it themselves, using a local lawyer, and relative costs/timelines.

Thank you.
Could you explain a bit? Did the owner die, but there are co-owners on the deed who don't want the unit?

I wouldn't take it, if you can keep from taking it. It's got very little resale value, and the MF's are very high. If this is in the estate, you can allow it to go back to the resort. No one has to take a burden like that one. I know it's Maui, but fees are crazy for an island view. This is not a good year for taking on fees.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Do you know how it was deeded to the group, that is as tenants in common, joint tenants with right of survivorship, etc.? That would make a difference in how things come out.

clymberz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. In a nutshell, two couples (say A-B and B-C) bought two weeks together. One of the 4 passed. From what I understand, I don't believe giving it back to the resort is really an option(?) and probate is needed to separate title regardless. I think of it in 3 logical, not practical, steps:

1. Break between the two couples.
2. probate for spouse A/B to spouse B.
3. Transfer ownership from Spouse B to heirs.

Regardless of Step 3, there does not seem an easy way to get through steps 1 & 2. Even if we didn't want it, Spouse B will be responsible for maintenance fees?

I appreciate the direct feedback on value and would not wish for sugar coating on an Internet message board-- but that is hard medicine to take. :) Admittedly, I am guessing the value is in the $6-9k range for week (??). And quotes from lawyers to process probate in Hawaii were: DIY ($1500 with Lawyer instruction); Lawyer Managed (slow: $4.2k and fast: $6.5k).

From a purely financial position, we have been okay renting on redweek to meet the families in Hawaii, so taking this over is more about helping the family and smoothing transitions.

I had hoped that simply paying the maintenance fees and renting out summer months would be a way to keep it in the family, mitigate financial pressure on Spouse B and kick the can down the road . Had hoped this was the "easy button." Not sure if there is an easy button now. Even if we just left it titled as-is, and rented/paid maintenance fees, there will eventually be a need to go through this, and it may be even more complicated then.