• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confusion Scenario with buying resale versus DP from Marriott

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Sabal Palms,Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Cibola Vista Resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach,Marriott Destination Points,Vidanta Nueva Vallarta Grand Lux
Could someone tell me the pros and cons of this. I have been talking to Marriott about converting my KBC week to destination points. Of course they will waive the transfer fee if I buy minimum of 1000 points for $12,660. I would love the extra points, but $12,660? ( we spoke prior 9/10, so old pricing still valid)

Would this make sense? Buy resale from Marriott direct. I see a Canyon Villa gold 2BR/2BA for $6000. I buy that, convert it along with my KBC to Destination points for a fee ( assuming I can convert both properties) for one conversion fee of $2395, but even if I pay 2 conversion fees, I am still cheaper than 12,660.

Is this possible? I have gained additional DP, I pay 2 maintenance fees, yet they are about equal to the yearly cost of those DPoints.

Thoughts from you smarter than me Tuggers?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If you purchased a resale week directly from MVC resale department today, you would need to purchase matching points in order to enroll that week into the DC (hybrid bundle). The only weeks that you are eligible to enroll (for a fee) without purchasing points to get it done are pre June 2010 weeks.

Last edited:

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Kauai Beach Club, Marriott Sabal Palms,Marriott Waiohai Beach Club, Cibola Vista Resort, Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach,Marriott Destination Points,Vidanta Nueva Vallarta Grand Lux
Weeks purchased direct from Marriott Resales Operations are eligible if a purchase of DC Trust Points (equal to the amount of points for which the purchased Week(s) may be converted) is made within 12 months of the Weeks purchase.

Just got this quote from the sticky from this forum. Of course, they thought of every angle!

Any rumor as to future resalespurchased direct from Marriott being exempt from the "now" rules?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The current promotion isn't any better. You can buy retail 2500 destination points and enroll one resale (purchased anywhere) which closed between June 2010 and August 2015.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
If you pay the money to buy the 1,000 points and enroll your KBC week, how many points can you convert your KBC week into? That may help you determine the real 'value' of their offer.

If your KBC week is work 3,000 DC points, you would have the ability to generate up to 4,000 DC points, for the roughly $13,000 (rounding up for closing fees) cost you paid. So, you purchased this ability for $3.25 per point. As far as price per point (P3), that's a bargain to own. Of course, there are others who believe renting is a better value and there are still others who would say just buy a resale week somewhere you want to go and go there (instead of spending this money to buy the ability to go there on points).

Only you know if 'owning' the ability to convert to points to go anywhere DC points can take you is right for you. Right now, the rental points market is largely unregulated with no real Marriott influence. That may change in the future. Owning resale weeks is also fine if you tend to go to the same place repeatedly and aren't interested in going to lots of different places.

I don't believe there is a one-size fits all answer. You are the expert on your vacation lifestyle. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The current promotion isn't any better. You can buy retail 2500 destination points and enroll one resale (purchased anywhere) which closed between June 2010 and August 2015.

The current promotion is, in fact, better for folks who own a higher point value week. Only being required to buy 2500 points is much better than if Marriott had required matching points for folks with weeks worth 4000, 5000, or more points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I agree but if the OP is balking at paying $12,600 to Marriott, than the current promotion isn't what he is looking for and if I were him I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of promotion that would allow a post 2010 week to be enrolled for less than $25,000.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
In my opinion, if you see value in the DC (flexibility, shorter or longer than 7 night stays, cheaper mid week and off season stays, etc), then just pony up for the $2,395 to enroll your KBC week. You can always rent what additional points you may need. A straight enroll (if its available) is BY FAR the cheapest and usually the smartest way to get into the DC.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
In my opinion, if you see value in the DC (flexibility, shorter or longer than 7 night stays, cheaper mid week and off season stays, etc), then just pony up for the $2,395 to enroll your KBC week. You can always rent what additional points you may need. A straight enroll (if its available) is BY FAR the cheapest and usually the smartest way to get into the DC.

Agreed. When we enrolled our MGV week in 2012, we were ignorant of the points rental market and bought into applying our $2400 enrollment fee toward the purchase of 1,000 DC points to get our cost down from around $10 to closer to $7.50 per point.

Of course, if we had simply paid just the enrollment fee for our week without buying more points, the 3,725 points that our MGV week now converts to would have cost us only, wait for it, $.78 per point. :hysterical:

Then there is the whole 'buckets' discussion of owning legacy versus trust points and the impact on accessing inventory but that has been throroughly rehearsed in other threads.

planada

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone! My KBC is worth 3375 DP, so after reading all your posts and looking on the rental market, think at this point I am better served to pay the transfer fee without buying additional DP and rent whatever extra points I may need. That works well until we retire and have more time to go. Your advice has and always will be invaluable!

Bill4728

Reaction score
I see you own Kauai Beach Club most owners there own either a 1 bd ocean view or a 2 bd ocean view You'd get about 3000 DC pts for a 1bd and 4600 DC pts for a 2bd ocean view unit This means just enrolling your current week is going to give you a large number of pts.

IMHO that is the way to go.

There is something else that may interest you. If you go on a preview package to a resort ( like we are about to go again to NCV on an explorer package were we paid ~$950 and got 4 nights and 50,000 hotel reward pts ) but people are saying that with these packages you get to enroll your week for free. SO $1,000 and 4 nights vs $2400

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Thanks everyone! My KBC is worth 3375 DP, so after reading all your posts and looking on the rental market, think at this point I am better served to pay the transfer fee without buying additional DP and rent whatever extra points I may need. That works well until we retire and have more time to go. Your advice has and always will be invaluable!
You can save a lot of the $2395 and get a vacation by asking for the free enrollment with encore package purchase. Salespeople will deny it exists but encore closers will (have) do(ne) it.

[I am assuming your week was bought pre 6/2010)

See this thread: Free enrollment with encore purchase.