• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confused on VIP

emilycsta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Westgate
Hey all, we are rather new to the timeshare business within Wyndham. We were at 124,000 when we first started and August 2019 we went to an “update.” At this update, the salesman told us that in order to be VIP we should buy enough points to get to 300,000. We did so.
Come July 2020, we were told by a saleswoman at another “update” that we needed to buy 100k to be VIP. We were told that this was an amazing offer ($20,000) because later on, one won’t be able to purchase in small increments anymore.
Ultimately we denied and told we were “crazy” not to take the deal.
I guess my question is, based on the new VIP scale, would we not be eligible for VIP at the bronze level?
(Never going to an update again)

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
(Never going to an update again)

The best part of your post! There will alway be some reason why you MUST buy more points.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
If you are Silver VIP now, you will be grandfathered into Silver VIP when the new VIP system rolls out officially. If you are not Silver VIP now, you would need another purchase to be Bronze or Silver, as I understand it. I don't think existing owners are being given Bronze VIP status without a purchase after the new system goes "live"

emilycsta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Westgate
If you are Silver VIP now, you will be grandfathered into Silver VIP when the new VIP system rolls out officially. If you are not Silver VIP now, you would need another purchase to be Bronze or Silver, as I understand it. I don't think existing owners are being given Bronze VIP status without a purchase after the new system goes "live"

That’s my confusion
On the website it says any purchase as of May 2019.
59b1c6cf35e011adaf3c706c8eb5bedd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
In 2019, 300,000 points would not have been enough for VIP.

But the screenshot you posted is confusing. "Any qualifying purchase as of May 1, 2019". Does "as of" mean beginning May 1 or ending May 1?

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
In 2019, 300,000 points would not have been enough for VIP.

But the screenshot you posted is confusing. "Any qualifying purchase as of May 1, 2019". Does "as of" mean beginning May 1 or ending May 1?

It means on or after - so if you purchased to level up to 300-399k points after May 1, 2019, you will be VIP Bronze when the updated VIP program launches in November 2020 (so we're being told). If you already owned 300k points before May 1, 2019 - and were already VIP - you will be eligible for grandfathering at whatever VIP level you currently belong to. If you owned 300k+ points prior to May 1, 2019 and are not currently VIP - you will not obtain VIP status when the updated VIP program launches.

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
As @HitchHiker71 said, you are not going to be VIP Bronze because you had 300,000 points BEFORE May, 1st 2020. You would have to make another purchase. Most likely they will try to push you to buy 105,000 but you can buy less. Still, the cost difference between 105k and 64k is about $2k if I guestimated correctly. I say do the extra 2k and get Silver now and completely skip bronze. OR, you can wait it out, and use your ownership more to determine if you can even use the VIP benefits. If you wait until after the new program launches, silver will be 500k points. It all depends on what you value and what you're needs are. Either way, you won't likely see a monetary gain by going VIP. You'll just get a bunch of benefits that make things a little easier like extra time to roll points forward, unlimited housekeeping (not sure if Bronze will have that), discounts, upgrades, etc. You'll have to decide if those benefits are worth the money. Keep in mind, discounts and upgrades are difficult to get during the prime season due to the high demand for limited inventory. I usually get my discounts and upgrades during high or low season.

emilycsta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Westgate
As @HitchHiker71 said, you are not going to be VIP Bronze because you had 300,000 points BEFORE May, 1st 2020. You would have to make another purchase. Most likely they will try to push you to buy 105,000 but you can buy less. Still, the cost difference between 105k and 64k is about $2k if I guestimated correctly. I say do the extra 2k and get Silver now and completely skip bronze. OR, you can wait it out, and use your ownership more to determine if you can even use the VIP benefits. If you wait until after the new program launches, silver will be 500k points. It all depends on what you value and what you're needs are. Either way, you won't likely see a monetary gain by going VIP. You'll just get a bunch of benefits that make things a little easier like extra time to roll points forward, unlimited housekeeping (not sure if Bronze will have that), discounts, upgrades, etc. You'll have to decide if those benefits are worth the money. Keep in mind, discounts and upgrades are difficult to get during the prime season due to the high demand for limited inventory. I usually get my discounts and upgrades during high or low season.

Thank you!
The screenshot of their website says 2019 and we made the purchase in August 2019. Either way I will call to get more info. Thanks to everyone!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Thank you!
The screenshot of their website says 2019 and we made the purchase in August 2019. Either way I will call to get more info. Thanks to everyone!

According to the screenshot from the FAQ, if you made a purchase in Aug 2019 to bring your account up to 300k annual points, you will be VIP Bronze when the new program goes into effect, since your purchase occurred on or after May 1, 2019. If there’s any confusion - call Owner Care to validate - never talk to anyone from sales/marketing as they will almost always attempt to convince you to buy more points no matter what.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Thank you!

My fault it does. Disregard. :)