• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Conference in Seattle - what should I see?

anniemac

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be spending 3 days later this month at a business conference in Seattle. I will have a couple of hours here and there - maybe an afternoon if the weather is good:eek: The conference is at the Sheraton. Seattle experts - what would you take in on your first and likely rare trip to Seattle? Thanks!

Mel7706

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sightseeing Seattle

Take this tour and try to get Mike if he is guiding during your available time frame. The French pastry shop in the Pike Place Market is great for starting out your morning.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve T.R.Oglodyte will be a good resource for you. I don't know if a boat cruise would be of interest to you or if they're running, but it's a great way to see Seattle area. Also the Space Needle for a drink in the evening to see the city from up high. I agree Pikes Market; it's a fun place to walk around.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If all you have is a few hours here and there you will be limited to activities you can do easily from the downtown area. I'm going to further assume you don't have a car.

So here's a list of some ideas off the top of my head:

• Pike Place Market
  • ferry ride to Bainbridge Island and back
  • Pioneer Square strolling
  • Underground Seattle tour (can be combined with Pioneer Square)
  • Seattle Center and the Experience Music Project
  • boat ride on Lake Union and Lake Washington (probably an afternoon event, not a one or two hour actiivity
  • Uwajimaya store in the International District
  • Museum of Flight
  • rent bicycles and ride the Burke-Gilman Trail (weather and time permitting)
  • Discovery Park
Re what to do with a free afternoon, that depends a lot on what your interests are. Shopping, hiking, guided tours, general sightseeing ????

re shopping: the principal shopping area in downtown Seattle is centered around 6th and Pine, not far from your hotel. But I think the best shopping is in downtown Bellevue - take a #550 bus from any of the bus tunnel stations in downtown Seattle. #550 buses run every 15 minutes during much of the day; about every 5 minutes during rush hour, and every half hour in the evenings.

If you like recreational gear, though, you should catch the flagship RCI store on the north side of downtown. It's awesome.

Note re downtown transportation. Until the early evening, buses are free in the downtown area (from Virginia on the north to Jackson on the south and between the waterfront and I-5).

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
:) See! I knew he'd show up! All you have to do is ask and there he is!

anniemac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm most interested in general sight-seeing, getting a feel for Seattle and seeing some of the beautiful views. I lost my shopping gene a few years ago - other than a couple of souvenirs of "Seattle" I think that I would find my time too precious to be spent shopping. Sounds like Pioneer Square, Space Needle, a ferry trip in good weather, Pike Place Market would allow me to pick up some of the local ambience.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
What Steve meant to say is the REI store, not RCI. We have Timeshares on the brain. :D

I agree with all his suggestions but don't get hit by the flying fish at the Pike Place Market.:eek:

Cheers

Jim C

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duck tour!!

Take a look at what your conference sponsors may have lined up. If at all possible take the Duck Tour(assuming it's still running in October). A lot of fun and you see plenty of Seattle and Lake Union. FWIW, I thought the Seattle Experience Music Project wasn't all that great. For a truly wonderful sight, have dinner at the top of the Space Needle. If you could add 2-3 days onto your trip, it would be well worth it. :)

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Too bad you cant take an extra day on either side. I always tried to do that when I had training. I would go to Victoria Island.

Bill4728

Reaction score
From Downtown there are 2 Seattle waterfronts. One is the Pugit Sound and there are lots of shops and restaurants there. But the second waterfront which is often missed is Lake Union ( just north of downtown) It it were many of the houseboats are (like in Sleepless in Seattle). Several very nice places to eat there too.
Many of the northbound buses run from downtown to lake union.