• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Concerned with Hospital Prepareness

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I honestly cannot understand how our country is so ill-prepared for a pandemic. We're so much more technologically advanced than ever and should have been looking at the future with an eye for something of this magnitude. I'm not blaming any one government administration - all of them failed in not ensuring our country was prepared.

IMHO it is pure profit motive. Like every other business inventory costs money. Keeping the beds, ventilators and staff on hand to handle this situation would cut into profits. Even non profit hospitals are always being asked to save money. Having equipment on hand that may be used once a decade or less was not going to happen. It will be interesting to see how these type of issues will be addressed in the future.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the grimmest predictions I've read:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I honestly cannot understand how our country is so ill-prepared for a pandemic. We're so much more technologically advanced than ever and should have been looking at the future with an eye for something of this magnitude. I'm not blaming any one government administration - all of them failed in not ensuring our country was prepared.
way too many SILOS / and I am not talking the farm kind .

also the world is focused on the Maginot Line of social distancing . Once that barrier is breached
by overwhelming numbers - if hospital ICU & ventilator capacity has not been increased - sayonara to those who don’t get a ventilator.

China did 3 things ( once upper management woke up)
1) - hard shut down of Wuhan area of 50+ million from the rest of the country ( 1.4 billion)
in a max. social distance manner / with no travel .

2) built some extra capacity / the 9 day hospital

3) added medical staff capacity through volunteers from non Covid 19 affected areas within China .

and probably / absolutely did #4 - fudge the numbers & control the media & social media .( probably primarily to prevent domestic unrest ....)

Yes - many jurisdictions are now looking at (# 2 & 3 ) - sooner than unfortunate Italy-
but unlikely soon enough . ( see SILOS).

as the saying goes - “those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it’s mistake “

geekette

Reaction score
Korea rocked it - got some titans of industry together, said, we need this. Off they go. pretty soon, entire hospital(s) were built, in came equipment, in came patients. They also TESTED EARLY, confining the virus. Confining the people. We did not do that. At All. Pandemic was foreseeable, there was even a plan, from Ebola lessons.

Apparently, too many ignored it, for far too long, thinking it couldn't happen here. It is happening here.

It has not been a mystery that our health care system has big problems. We are going to see the consequences of that. For some of us, it will be up close and personal. We are tracking to be worse than Italy.

geekette

Reaction score
Truckers do need to keep trucking, but, big problem - lots of rest areas are closed! Truckers need sleep and bathrooms. Rest areas are the easiest, quickest and safest. I hope states reverse course and open those puppies up again. Someone has to clean, that is why they closed, to keep their employees safe.

My brother has been a trucker for about a year, hates truck stops, says they are dangerous, people driving all over the place. He much prefers the easy in, easy out rest areas. I hope if they are closed, they aren't barricaded.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reactions: Tia

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Remember when looking at number of infections, Italy is 1/5 the population compared to the US (60 Million vs 330 Million).

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
someone pointed out that in the US...there are approximately 2 hospital beds per 1000 people, with a tiny fraction of that being ICU beds.

I think the point many are trying to make is that there are simply not enough beds to go around to cover even if it only impacts half a % of the population...and thats even if every hospital across the country was completely empty and waiting for new patients. We all know that is not the case as nearly all hospitals run at a very high capacity if they are even remotely able to maintain profitability in this day and age.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
someone pointed out that in the US...there are approximately 2 hospital beds per 1000 people, with a tiny fraction of that being ICU beds.

I think the point many are trying to make is that there are simply not enough beds to go around to cover even if it only impacts half a % of the population...and thats even if every hospital across the country was completely empty and waiting for new patients. We all know that is not the case as nearly all hospitals run at a very high capacity if they are even remotely able to maintain profitability in this day and age.
Canada is similar
even though hospitals are all non profit with a single payer ( the province the hospital is located in)
there are always cost constraints and a focus on running close to capacity [ by having fewer (unused) beds]

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I'd like to see someone put out a call for mask hoarders to drop them off at hospitals. Those guys in TN that bought all the sanitizer also had masks of various kinds. I hope if Amazon has noticed other listings of lots of masks, that they remove the ad, call the cops, masks confiscated and taken to health care workers.

I am deeply concerned for our front line workers.

This is from the Cleveland Clinic today where my wife works.

My beef is get our front line the protection needed!

My nephew is a new Dr in Alabama, his wife is a RN
Asked about protection

No. Reusing masks and things trying to make them stretch. Rachael not getting even a mask

Reality

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Five/ten years go many Experts warned Governments around the World that they needed to Stock Pile Medical Equipment to be ready for the next pandemic. Every Government from City/County/State/Federal levels ignored the advice and recommendations. They all got caught with their pants down. They are screaming up to the next level to be rescued from their piss poor or no planning.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Health officials confront new threat to speed of testing.

Richard

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you Richard for your regular news story additions and updates .

your postings - rank as one of my primary info sources on Covid 19 updates .
Thanks for your kind words. Glad too help keepjng the Tug Community informed.
Best Regards.

Richard