• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Computer Guru's

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all you computer gurus out there.

Let me first say, I am far from a computer techy person, so please forgive my ignorance whey trying to explain my problem.

I remote into my work computer using VPN & remote desktop. So here is what I do, I open VPN, select the name, hit connect, enter my password and walaw,it tells me I am connected.

Next I open remote desktop, the computer name is there with my user name and I hit connect. Then it prompts for my password. So now I can access everything from my laptop that is on my desktop at work.

This worked fine until one day I messed up and actually logged out of my remote computer account. Now I can VPN fine, but when I hit connect on the computer name, I don't get the option to enter my password, I just get a blue screen. My IT guys could not figure this out, and I was getting a new computer at work, so I thought I will just wait to see if it fixes itself. Well after the new computer it is not fixing itself and I go through all the sets above but instead of a blue screen I received an errorr message stating can not connect. Once again, my IT staff can not figure this out.

I am running windows 7 on both machines.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going on vacation in three weeks for two weeks and my staff would really like it if I had access.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hire new IT people? What, are they going to let you hang out in the wind?? :confused:

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I VPN in and remote desktop for work too. Did you check your power plan settings on the work computer? I had that issue once and it was because my work computer kept going into sleep mode every 30 mins... I had to keep calling work to have someone go bump my mouse in the office! I fixed it once I got back and didn't have an issue again. Other than that suggestion.. I have no clue.. :D

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Also make sure your computer at work is enabled for remote desktop.
1) Go to Control Panel\System and Security\System
2) Click on Advanced System Settings
3) Click on the Remote tab
4) Make sure the "Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Or, get your company to go with a VDI environment, and you won't have to worry about connecting to a desktop in your office. You'll connect to a virtual machine "in the cloud". Connect via a laptop, an iPad, a thin client, whatever.

VDI = Virtual Desktop Infrastructure

This is probably a long-term fix though. :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm with post #2. It's their problem, not yours. Leave them your laptop- let them get it working and they can overnight it to you on vacation if your participation is THAT important.

Jim

geekette

Reaction score
could be that IT won't touch her machine because it's not an environment that they can control. It's tricky for IT to be in the home computer support business. Best to not go down that route. Firing IT for not supporting your home pc is a ridiculous course of action. They usually are only responsible for company resources.

Were I you, I would remove existing VPN and start over. If your work pc has a different machine name, that is likely the issue. You may also have to re-authenticate. If you get invalid login, be sure to preface your username with the domainname (ie myworknetwork\myusername)

Also look in your system tray once you connect vpn. There is usually a connection manager down there to fool with. I never disconnect, only ever Quit.

If that doesn't work, ask for step by step VPN setup instructions and re-do it.

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It may sound crazy but my wife does medical billing and coding from home and when she sometimes can't connect she will delete all her cookies and that works for her .also she has problems when her secure browsing is turned off .she has to make sure the VPN web address is proceeded by HTTPS insted of HTTP.

Last edited: