• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Company wants to [relieve me of] my timeshare [for $4,000]

MaxandPurrcilla

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been contacted by a company "Direct Transfer, LLC / Preferred Transfers, LLC" that will for $4,000 take my timeshare off of my hands and get me out of the contract free and clear. Does anyone have any info regarding this company? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
POST EDITED -

Have you tried to give it away yourself? See my suggestions below.

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a disappearing act in the making.

You can play along with them if you want. It usually starts out that way. Then you have to send them $$$ for closing costs, escrow, whatever reason that they can think of --- so that they can sell the timeshare.

Then, once you pay the $$$ the buyer disappears. The company stops returning your calls.

And you are $$$ poorer.

You can find out what the scam is. And you will know that it is one as soon as they ask for your credit card #.

elaine

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the two previous posters have mis understood the op. Direct Transfers is not offering to find a buyer; they are the buyer. The op has a correct understanding of what direct transfers is offering

And that is; they will take your timeshare if you pay them $4000

There are two things to be aware of here, or two concerns 1) they might not really do it. They might take your money and still leave you with the timeshare and 2) you can probably give your timeshare away yourself. You might have to pay a years mf for your buyer and pay the closing costs to sweeten the deal, but that will be a lot less than the $4000

It is my understanding that most of the deals you see offered on ebay are deals from companies like Direct Transfer. And in my experience; with many of the deals the seller is not the ebay seller, rather its the original owner. Or the ebay seller takes the property only after the successful ebay auction.
I always wonder what happens when the ebay auction doesnt find a buyer. Chances are that the original owner is still the owner

I have been to two Direct Transfer presentations. They come through town every few months and from what I hear, about 50% of the folks that attend their meetings pay them to take their timeshares....I know you might be desperate to get out from under your timeshare, but try to do it yourself first (perhaps by using the bargain forum here on TUG)

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
These companies are called Post Card Companies, or PCC's here, and all of them are really sleazy operations. A number of them have been investigated by state Attorneys General and had to pay fines and make restitution to their customers.

You might try putting up a free auction at www.bidshares.com with a starting price of $1, or you might try a free giveaway ad on TUG.

fishingguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
do it yourself if you have free $4000 to offer

Shucks MaxandPurrcilla,
If you really want to ensure the timeshare gets out of your name for $4000, then offer it up in TUG -- it could be the mother of all bargains for someone. You could structure the deal so that the new owner gets the money only after the deed is transferred to them; recorded at the local govt office, and resort acknowledges new ownership. That way you'd be in absolute control of everything! You could even use one of the closing companies who have members on TUG, so you don't get bogged down with any paperwork.

The $4000 could be used to pay all fees and what was left could go to the new owner. Heck, they might even take it for a couple years maintenance fees instead of the whole $4000? Get creative, if it is that important for you to rid yourself of the ownership!

Why pay someone else to do this for you? Don't take the chance of getting scammed!!!!!!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who would like to own it, before you spend a cent with a company like this.

Why?
-You can give it away yourself for nearly no cost.
-You can control the transfer process to make sure it is truly transferred out of your name.
-You won't have to deal with companies that may or may not be Legit.
-You can transfer it to a private individual who will be happy to have it for their own use.
-You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you ended your ownership legally and ethically.

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay 2011/12 maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple title transfer with no escrow or title search for about $100.) Many people have used Tugger TTT (Alan) at Time Travel Traders for this service in the past, but he is retired and is referring most business to Lisa Short for this service - 1.706.969.8906 readylegal@gmail.com Lisa has been receiving good reviews on TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2011/12 for the new owner​

Good luck!

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Company wants to relieve you of $4000, not your timeshare

I have been contacted by a company "Direct Transfer, LLC / Preferred Transfers, LLC" that will for $4,000 take my timeshare off of my hands and get me out of the contract free and clear. Does anyone have any info regarding this company? Thanks for the help!

Great suggestions from Tuggers to the OP. However, Max and Purrcilla may have bought from the developer, paid a whopping amount for it, financed it and still owe thousands of dollars on it. This OP has been told that for $4000 they will "take my timeshare off of my hands and get me out of the contract free and clear."

I believe someone else posted on TUG previously about this scam, telling folks that not only will they get your timeshare taken off your hands, but they can also get you out of your financial obligation. I have a feeling the OP has more than a timeshare they want to get rid of; perhaps also the financial obligation as well. They have not responded back to the suggestions and simply giving it away for free (and possibly paying additional fees to do so) does not solve the issue of a large financial obligation.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update - You are correct - if there is a balance owed, no one is going to actually take it for $4,000. But they will be happy to take your money!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If the OP owns Point at Poipu, $4K might be the best bargain out there! :eek: :ignore:

Kurt