• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Company Name Contest

ajhcmaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I first want to say, I have run similar contests on tug with great success. I have paid for the work done and many can attest to this.

I am needing some help and will pay $100 for the winning name. If there isnt an acceptable one, I will pay $50 to the best one.

In the past you guys have come through with an energy drink name, that is now an energy drink company, also a coupon name which launched and was the 47 most downloaded app (shut down due to to much competition - over 500 groupon type companies now).....

So here is what is needed. I need a name for the product which also must have the domain name available. Meaning if you think of a name, check like godaddy or networksolutions to see if the domain is available. Then pmb me the name.

The name can be a normal name, a made up name, or a name that combines two words, etc. Anything goes.

I am launching a reverse auction site/app. This is a little different then what is out there. In the past there is like group buying auctions which the more people that buy the item, the lower the price.

What we are doing is we will sell 1 item at a time. The price starts at retail price. At intervals, the price drops. It will keep dropping till someone buys it. So people will have to balance letting it go to low and risk someone else buying it. Once the item sells, we launch the next item for sale.... So people could buy as low as $0.01. But we dont think people will let it go that low.

If you have any questions, pmb me.

Good luck and thanks for any help you can provide.

ajhcmaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
more names??

only have 2 people suggesting names... any more thoughts...

thanks

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I first want to say, I have run similar contests on tug with great success. I have paid for the work done and many can attest to this.

. . .
I am launching a reverse auction site/app. This is a little different then what is out there. In the past there is like group buying auctions which the more people that buy the item, the lower the price.

What we are doing is we will sell 1 item at a time. The price starts at retail price. At intervals, the price drops. It will keep dropping till someone buys it. So people will have to balance letting it go to low and risk someone else buying it. Once the item sells, we launch the next item for sale.... So people could buy as low as $0.01. But we dont think people will let it go that low.

. . .

Isn't that kind of what Priceline does?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The process you describe is called a 'Dutch Auction.' It's how fresh flowers are auctioned every day in Holland. So why not call it what it is, Dutch Auction.

Jim

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
The process you describe is called a 'Dutch Auction.' It's how fresh flowers are auctioned every day in Holland. So why not call it what it is, Dutch Auction.

Jim

That's where I remember seeing it - it is (or was) an option on eBay.
PJ

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I thought of a dozen great names. Web names already taken for all of them. I'll keep thinking about it.

Can't wait to try your site out. Sounds nerve-wracking, but fun.

Sheila

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea of generating name ideas. Knowing it's a Dutch Auction gives information that helps springboard to more ideas. Anything else that you can share with us that would help generate ideas, e.g. product categories you'll be selling?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I just wanted to state that I have won one of the OP's naming contests in the past, and it's Legit. :hi:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

ScubaKat

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a great idea to generate names for branding.. My last company paid 10K for a marketing company to come up with a name for our last product launch.. Wonder if they used similar competitions to generate ideas...

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PM sent

BidDrops.com

ajhcmaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
sfwilshire is in the lead / more info

sfwilshire name is in the lead. wont post it yet, as dont want someone to grab the domain yet.

will let the contest go for a few more days.

a little more about the project. it will launch in a few weeks. it is an iphone app and website for the time being... it will feature one item for sale daily. products will range from gc's to online stores, to paintings, to food, flowers, etc, etc. we are only going to allow auctions from legitimate companies that do the fulfillment... dont want to get into individual sellers that dont fulfill. as we grow, might go local and do 1 deal a day in a local market, but for the time being it will be national offers.

looking for names that are unique as well, doesnt have to be just specific meaning.. think of groupon that is a split of group and coupon... game fly is a netflix type company for games... problem is, what are my word combos... auction, quick, etc. Not really sure... But want a memorable name

ajhcmaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Winner - sfwilshire

I want to let everyone know that the tug user sfwilshire won the dutch auction name contest for $50. sfwilshire had the best name suggestion, however I dont know if I am going to use it though. So sfwilshire is receiving the $50 and if I cant find a better name another $50 will be paid.

I dont want to mention the name yet as if I change my mind and use it, it might get snagged up before I buy the domain name.

Thanks to everyone for the names and I plan on posting a few more contests soon. Great ideas everyone has put forth.

Adam

Last edited: