• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado in the summer

Prooney1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande vista
Desert ridge
DC points
Hi,
Looking for any recommendations on a summer vacation in Colorado. We went to Summit Watch in Park City a couple years ago in July and loved it.

Now we’re thinking about Colorado.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what towns are best in the summer? Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, etc?
What MVC or Ritz properties are best? Pros/cons
Any must do activities or places to go?

we have 2 teenagers and enjoy hiking, rafting, etc.

thanks in advance for any feedback!

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Veil last year and really enjoyed the hiking. Will be nice that more of the town will be open for you this year…wherever you go

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vail MVC is I would guess about 1/2 to 3/4 mile outside town but there is a nice bike/walking trail along the river linking the two. The RC is right in town and is a somewhat affordable points reservation in the summer.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vail MVC is I would guess about 1/2 to 3/4 mile outside town but there is a nice bike/walking trail along the river linking the two. The RC is right in town and is a somewhat affordable points reservation in the summer.
It's actually about 2-2.5 miles from Lionshead Village. It would be a bit of a long walk, but with bikes it would be fine.

The Ritz is very close to Lionshead Village.

Breckenridge is a cool town and I know a lot of people that rank it ahead of Vail (I am not one of them).

Summit Watch is a step up from both the Marriotts in Vail and in Breckenridge. Ritz is definitely a step up from Summit Watch.

What breckenridge has going for it is that the location is in town and Breckenridge is very walkable (like Summit Watch and Park City). However, you would need to walk a bit to get to the Gondola if you wanted to do activities on the mountain.

We live in Colorado so happy to answer any questions you have.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Breckenridge is a cool town and I know a lot of people that rank it ahead of Vail (I am not one of them).
I am one of them. We are on out way to Breckenridge tomorrow.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
The problem with MVC and Breckenridge is, IMHO, Mountain Valley Lodge itself. It’s a small resort. Not a great pool. It only has one bedroom and studio units, so it’s not exactly family friendly (units don’t connect). It’s just not our favorite resort in the area and, so far, the least favorite of the MVC resorts we’ve visited.

I do like it’s location, in town and by Maggie Pond. It works fine for us because we don’t have children traveling with us. But for a family with kids? It’s not my recommendation for a timeshare stay in Breckenridge.

We love Breck for the location, variety of restaurant, shopping and available activities, but the OP is traveling with 2 teenagers and, if locked into MVC resorts, t would be my last on the list of recommendations. Since we haven’t spent even one night in any of the other locations, I don’t have an informed opinion. I will say that I occasionally search for availability at the Aspen Ritz Carlton to see if a date might pop up that fits our travel dates, but so far nothing has matched up for us.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Steamboat Springs has not been mentioned, but I know there is nothing Marriott there, but there is a Sheraton.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We alternate our late summer vacations between Park City (Mountainside) and Vail (Ritz). We are headed to Vail this year and are starting with a train trip to Glenwood Springs for 2 nights. The Vail Ritz is one of our favorite resorts for using DC points. It has a nice pool and is centrally located. You can easily bike and hike directly from the resort and there are several restaurants within walking distance. The only downside is that things seem to shut down after Labor Day due to unavailability of work force after colleges start back up.

As Doug mentioned, there never seems to be any availability at the Ritz in Aspen so we haven't yet tried it.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We just spent 5 nights at the Ritz in Vail. This was our second stay there and we love it. There is plenty to do and it’s centrally located. The 2BR unit is great, but note that both bedrooms have a king sized bed. There is also a sofa bed in the living room.

We made day trips to Aspen and Steamboat Springs, but didn’t make it to Breck this time. Both were fun trips. We learned that there is a rivalry between Vail and Aspen. Vail was founded in 1962 and incorporated in 1966, whereas Aspen started as a mining town in the 1800’s so has been around a longer time. Vail is expensive, but Aspen takes that to an even higher level.

Best regards.

Mike

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We own in the Vail Valley through Westin - also brand new owners in MVC so not much Marriott property experience yet.

But as far as which town to stay in....Lived in Colorado 44 years so many vacations in the Colorado Mountains. We've vacationed in pretty much all Colorado mountain towns. We highly prefer Vail and that has spanned the 35 years we have been married through babies/toddlers of our own to now adult daughters and grandkids. So may activities in the Vail Valley. Vail IMHO has the best walkable village scene with no cars allowed on the majority of the cobblestone streets, splash fountains for the kids, imaginative playgrounds like the Pirate Ship, Betty Ford Alpine Garden, covered wooden bridges, quaint shops, excellent dining, nightly live music from many bars/restaurants easily heard while strolling past., farmers markets on the weekends. Hiking and mountain biking galore for abilities of all ages. Easy paved biking path along Gore Creek through aspen groves with stunning mountain views of the Gore Range up and down almost the entire valley.

Free public parking in Vail and Lionshead, free shuttle busses between Vail and Lionshead (easily walkable as well). Gondolas run in the summer (a bit pricey) so can take them to the top of the mountain for hiking / picnic lunch or take your mountain bike up as well and gorgeous mountain biking for miles. There is an advennture park on the top of the mountain with an alpine roller coaster. A special tradition for us is listening to Phil Long playing keyboard/guitar and singing live on the patio of the Chop House in Lionshead many summer afternoons - check with the restaurant for his schedule. In Avon/Beaver Creek where we stay at the Westin is Nottingham Park/Lake with a swim beach for kids and paddleboarding/kayaking. Plus right up the moutain is Beaver Creek with an entire separate resort area and mountain to enjoy.

Rafting within an easy drive - likely need reservations. Tubing on several of the local creeks/rivers.

Hoppyness

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Timber Lodge, Royal Haciendas, Sheration Oasis(Vistana), Westin Cancun
Hi,
Looking for any recommendations on a summer vacation in Colorado. We went to Summit Watch in Park City a couple years ago in July and loved it.

Now we’re thinking about Colorado.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what towns are best in the summer? Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, etc?
What MVC or Ritz properties are best? Pros/cons
Any must do activities or places to go?

we have 2 teenagers and enjoy hiking, rafting, etc.

thanks in advance for any feedback!
As a former Denver resident, I say its a toss-up. We have enjoyed our time in all 3 places. We own at Breckenridge Grand Timber and would use our day visitors privileges just to get out of the heat in the summer or into the snow in the winter, besides spending our week there in the wintertime. The units easily accomodate family , are spacious with great kitchens. A shuttle will take you anywhere you want when you don't feel like walking. Indoor/outdoor heated pools are a nice touch.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Glad to hear there is plenty to do in the summer in Colorado. I just booked a trip to Colorado for next summer. I booked 5 nights at the Ritz Vail because that is all I have enough points for right now. I will probably add something else onto this trip for a 10 night trip total.

What about staying in Denver? What are some fun, family friendly things to do around Denver?

Hoppyness

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Timber Lodge, Royal Haciendas, Sheration Oasis(Vistana), Westin Cancun
Glad to hear there is plenty to do in the summer in Colorado. I just booked a trip to Colorado for next summer. I booked 5 nights at the Ritz Vail because that is all I have enough points for right now. I will probably add something else onto this trip for a 10 night trip total.

What about staying in Denver? What are some fun, family friendly things to do around Denver?
LOTS to do in Denver--museums, childrens museum,aquarium, zoo, theater,free concerts in park, water park, safari park,restaurants.If kids are small go to Tiny Town just outside of Denver. Also fishing for kids/family in Idaho Springs just a short drive away

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is always amusing when people ask what do you like best?
Of course everyone has an opinion but it really does not matter.
Some people like red wine, some white, some California cabs other Bordeaux's.
It is the same with restaurants.
It all depends on what you are looking for, and even than opinions will differ.