• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colonsocpy a year later- something is not right.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Dr appointment went well, getting scheduled for routine test and colonoscopy.
Another follow up in December, for now going timesharing in Florida. 3 trips not too far but should be fun now that the weather will be cooling down.
Silentg

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Mary Ann. I am 2 weeks removed from my experience. Glad to be here. The surgery started out normal with an expectation of being laparoscopic. Turned out to be much more. Evidently the cancerous area of the colon had gotten infected and developed into a mucous puss. It ran underneath my tummy area and had to be suctioned and scraped. I got 11" of staples from my ribs to my belt area. The doctor did not deliver good news to my wife and daughter, as he had no idea of what involvement there might be. I got released after 5 days as I could pee and poop. Two days ago I got the staples removed and got a rundown of the pathology report. Amazingly, the report stated that there was no involvement with the lymph nodes. My surgeon (Dr. Johnson) was upbeat and encouraging as he hadn't seen many cases like this. I have an appointment with NYOH in Clifton Park next Monday, and look forward to some positive treatments of chemotherapy. I took my first walk around the block today, and will not be able to lift more than 10 lbs. for another month. As I have always done my regular physicals, and regular colonoscopies, I feel like I have dodged a random bullet. This situation was totally unexpected, and I feel glad to have survived it.

Continued prayers and continued success.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dr appointment went well, getting scheduled for routine test and colonoscopy.
Another follow up in December, for now going timesharing in Florida. 3 trips not too far but should be fun now that the weather will be cooling down.
Silentg

All will be well.

Still warm here in Florida. It has been pretty warm/hot. Leaving in the morning. Would not have minded a few cool days.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well today was d day and thankfully per my request I was the first patient at 8am, though the doc was late, of course. (Docs love to have a bunch of their patients lined up first before they start the rounds. I know. I worked with enough of them). I had to wait on the stretcher in the procedure room for about a half hour.

When I came into the office initially, the front desk immediately asked for payment- either in full or on a payment plan- since we have a high deductible plan. They have always just billed us in the past and I like it that way because I like to see what the insurance pays and then states what we are responsible for. (how would they know if I didn't have a procedure done somewhere else yesterday that covered the deductible? This makes me crazy.) Then she tells me I had a balance due for the consult with this doc a few weeks ago. I told her I just paid it online 2 days ago! SMH... So- I just paid for the colonoscopy upfront as I did not want to deal with arguing about it.

Anyway, afterwards, the nurse said I had some polyps removed (cheesh- already grew more after just a year?), but when the doc came in, he said he removed what did not actually look like polyps but he took them all out anyway. I assume that included the precancerous one- the one that he claimed was a kind they don't normally take out and that he left in last time and that he said was the reason he had to go back in this time a year later.

So having them biopsied and if all is well I would come back in a few years. Hopefully all will be good and I won't have to have another one of these for a long time. Fingers crossed.

Good luck Maryann. I am sure all is well!!!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Need to go before my next insurance deductible recycles.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I finally got my results today and it says I had Adenomatous polyps and I need another follow up in ONE YEAR yet again!

This is crazy. I guess when I move I have to get a new Gastro doc within the first year and bring my records. Will see if they recommend the same. Seems to me like overkill but I am not a doctor, of course, and won't take any chances. The cost, though- ugh. But my health is worth it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I finally got my results today and it says I had Adenomatous polyps and I need another follow up in ONE YEAR yet again!

This is crazy. I guess when I move I have to get a new Gastro doc within the first year and bring my records. Will see if they recommend the same. Seems to me like overkill but I am not a doctor, of course, and won't take any chances. The cost, though- ugh. But my health is worth it.
The ACA subsidiized plans should be looking more attractive now...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Always check how old or big your doc's boat is. If new, or bigger than a canoe, get a new doc. :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Always check how old or big your doc's boat is. If new, or bigger than a canoe, get a new doc. :)

Well- I will have to get a new doc by default since we are moving next year.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
In my last colonoscopy, they found an adenoma and other polyps.
One of the nurses said I was a "polyp farm."

They sent my GP a letter saying I should do another in 1.5 years.
They sent me a letter saying I should do another in 2.0 years.
I'm now set for December... 2.5 years later.

Also: I took their 3 pages of instructions and distilled it down to
a 1-page spreadsheet which populates dates+times for the prep.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In my last colonoscopy, they found an adenoma and other polyps.
One of the nurses said I was a "polyp farm."

They sent my GP a letter saying I should do another in 1.5 years.
They sent me a letter saying I should do another in 2.0 years.
I'm now set for December... 2.5 years later.

Also: I took their 3 pages of instructions and distilled it down to
a 1-page spreadsheet which populates dates+times for the prep.

Considering what happened with Iggyearl, I am afraid to skip a year. I did that after my first screening. I was to come back in 5 years and I think I went back in 7. Now I am down to this once per year thing. Very worrisome.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are like mechanics....we need to trust them/go with our gut. We can't take a chance though. They refer us to everyone left and right. If we don't go, we could possibly be saying, but why didn't the doctor insist on more tests, how did they miss it. Are they ripping us off? Insurance? worried about lawsuits, etc. Who knows....

Go when they say to go or if we feel/suspect anything sooner. Better safe than sorry.

Going for mine next month.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not so sure if ACA would even cover a diagnostic. Here is more convoluted information.

https://www.kff.org/report-section/...fordable-care-acts-prevention-benefit-report/
Yes. It is a regular health insurance plan. Preventative is free but diagnostics has costs associated with it. The advantage to a Silver ACA plan with maximum subsidies for premium and cost sharing (max out of pocket), is that besides low premium, there is very little deductible and annual out of pocket costs.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
They are like mechanics....we need to trust them/go with our gut. We can't take a chance though. They refer us to everyone left and right. If we don't go, we could possibly be saying, but why didn't the doctor insist on more tests, how did they miss it. Are they ripping us off? Insurance? worried about lawsuits, etc. Who knows....

Go when they say to go or if we feel/suspect anything sooner. Better safe than sorry.

Going for mine next month.

Good luck! My husband has his on 12/3. I already called to get copies of my medical records from the office, including the biopsy reports, so I can take them to NH when we move.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope all went well with your hubby Mary Ann.

Mine is coming up. Getting worried about the prep. I told the woman at the office that I almost did not finish the one prescribed to me three years ago. I was instructed to take "16" Duculax the day before. 4 at noon (2 glasses of water), 4 at 2pm (2 glasses of water), 4 at 5pm (2 glasses of water) and 4 at 8 pm (two glasses of water). With the usual apple juice, broth, etc. Seems like a lot of pills.........

Has anyone done this prep? I think I am going to call the office and not only double check but also tell her that if I am doubled in pain, can I leave a message on the dr.'s line and cancel the appt.....

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was having a colonoscopy every two years because my Father died with (not from colon cancer). Obviously the concern was that I might be susceptible genetically. When I reached age 80 I became more concerned about the process so I had myself genetically tested by a major hospital in the forefront of genetic testing to see if I was carrying the gene. Turns out I'm not. My Doctor and I agreed, no more colonoscopies for me. That was about 5 years ago. So far, so good...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hope all went well with your hubby Mary Ann.

Mine is coming up. Getting worried about the prep. I told the woman at the office that I almost did not finish the one prescribed to me three years ago. I was instructed to take "16" Duculax the day before. 4 at noon (2 glasses of water), 4 at 2pm (2 glasses of water), 4 at 5pm (2 glasses of water) and 4 at 8 pm (two glasses of water). With the usual apple juice, broth, etc. Seems like a lot of pills.........

Has anyone done this prep? I think I am going to call the office and not only double check but also tell her that if I am doubled in pain, can I leave a message on the dr.'s line and cancel the appt.....

Thank you. He did much better than me. Had 2 polyps that were removed. Doc said worse case he comes back in 3 years and best case 5. He had no exercise or diet restrictions afterwards like I did.

It sounds like your doc wants you to try the pills instead of the drink? Did you have stomach pains drinking the prep last time?

I turned those pills down. I felt it was much easier to just down the drink twice and get it over with. Key is the water needs to be real cold and just drink it down fast.

I find not eating all day harder than just drinking the prep.

When are you scheduled?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was having a colonoscopy every two years because my Father died with (not from colon cancer). Obviously the concern was that I might be susceptible genetically. When I reached age 80 I became more concerned about the process so I had myself genetically tested by a major hospital in the forefront of genetic testing to see if I was carrying the gene. Turns out I'm not. My Doctor and I agreed, no more colonoscopies for me. That was about 5 years ago. So far, so good...

George

I think at age 80 most people shouldl probably forgo colonoscopies. Like you said- the process could be more deadly than the illness.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I think at age 80 most people shouldl probably forgo colonoscopies. Like you said- the process could be more deadly than the illness.

I had two elderly female clients who volunteered that they had had their colons perforated during the procedure, so I've thought 80ish might be a good time to stop colonoscopies. (You wouldn't believe the subjects that come up when in a home measuring windows for draperies! And actually way back when we had a shop, Cliff felt he had to go to the back room when one of my designers and a client started talking about feminine issues, so not just in the privacy of a home!).

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I’m scheduled for Wednesday morning. Prep Tuesday Ugh, at least we had a fun vacation last week in Sebastian. I just wrote a review, should be published soon.
Silentg

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year my new GP convinced me to have my first colonoscopy at age 69. Told me if I was clean, could wait 10 years. Was surprised they found many polyps. Now I must do it again in 3 years. At the time I knew two people battling the disease. One chose to have chemo, surgery and a bag. The other, only radiation. The both died in October. Better safe than sorry, my motto now.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I’m scheduled for Wednesday morning. Prep Tuesday Ugh, at least we had a fun vacation last week in Sebastian. I just wrote a review, should be published soon.
Silentg

Good luck! Just get it over with. I know it's not pleasant.