• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colonsocpy a year later- something is not right.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
...I was diagnosed with full-blown colon cancer on 9/27. Confirmed on 10/2. CT scan showed no movement on 10/3. I see a surgeon at St. Peters on next Tuesday. I am scared as hell - but I have no choice but to go forward. AND, I have never had a polyp discovered during a colonoscopy..... Be well....

I'm so sorry to read that and hope your surgery goes well. How long did you go between colonoscopies?

Once a polyp is discovered, most gastroenterologists want to follow up with another colonoscopy the following year and every year after one is discovered. My birth mother died of colon cancer at age 39, my half-brother at age 61. I have been having colonoscopies since my late 30's. They began as every five years. Once one very small polyp, so small it disintegrated upon removal leaving nothing to biopsy, was discovered another was done the following year. Nothing was found so they were moved to every two years which is what I have been doing for a very long time now. Last year, when nothing was found, I asked if we could move it to three years and he agreed. Now, I'm feeling a little nervous about that. Of course, I don't like them (the nasty tasting liquid and also because I am a poor stick for IVs and often have to be stuck numerous times and even then I frequently "blow the IV"). I have to admit that the liquid mixture tastes better than it used to. Seems I should just have them every other year regardless.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to read that and hope your surgery goes well. How long did you go between colonoscopies?
Since this is not my thread, I will answer your question in the interest of education. I had a colonoscopy 3 years earlier. No polyps. No nothing. Clean bill of health. In July, I was feeling crappy, and had a temp. of 101. Went to my doctor. He ran blood tests, and came back with anemia. He told me to go to the emergency room and get a transfusion. Their blood results varied quite a bit from his, and they would not give me the transfusion. He then ordered 3 stool panels, and told me to pick them up and return them when complete. All three came back with "blood in the stool." I had an endoscopy scheduled for August 6, but the gastroenterologist could not add a colonoscopy to it. (not enough time) I got scheduled for 9/29. The gastro doctor said he hadn't seen a progression like this before. He even brought up the pictures from the last procedure. No nothing. Now, full blown colon cancer in the ascending colon. My mother was a prolific smoker. She should have had lung cancer. However, she contracted colon cancer at age 74, and did not recover after the surgery. After doing the DNA thing on Ancestry, I feel there may be some silent link between my mom and me.

Quiet Pine

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have for many years carried the High Deductible Plan F Medicare Supplement rather than the Standard Plan F.

Me too. My premium is $37.88 a month. What I save in premium costs easily covers the medical costs I pay out of pocket. I'm fortunate to be very healthy at 78--DH has taken on all the health problems for both of us. :)

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Since this is not my thread, I will answer your question in the interest of education. I had a colonoscopy 3 years earlier. No polyps. No nothing. Clean bill of health. In July, I was feeling crappy, and had a temp. of 101. Went to my doctor. He ran blood tests, and came back with anemia. He told me to go to the emergency room and get a transfusion. Their blood results varied quite a bit from his, and they would not give me the transfusion. He then ordered 3 stool panels, and told me to pick them up and return them when complete. All three came back with "blood in the stool." I had an endoscopy scheduled for August 6, but the gastroenterologist could not add a colonoscopy to it. (not enough time) I got scheduled for 9/29. The gastro doctor said he hadn't seen a progression like this before. He even brought up the pictures from the last procedure. No nothing. Now, full blown colon cancer in the ascending colon. My mother was a prolific smoker. She should have had lung cancer. However, she contracted colon cancer at age 74, and did not recover after the surgery. After doing the DNA thing on Ancestry, I feel there may be some silent link between my mom and me.

Wow. You know- that is the thing about tests. You are only as good as you are when the test is done. Anything can happen in between tests- even a day later. I remember when my mom had her screening mammogram one year in the summer. She was 65 at the time. All was good. That September- a lump appears. Full blown cancer. She opted to have a mastectomy and chemo. Was never the same since. Went into remission for 10 years and then came back, with a separate addition of ovarian cancer, both of which did her in in her early 80's.

There can be a genetic link in generations for certain cancers and other diseases. I worry about this myself. But let's face it, few families do not have any illnesses that could be passed genetically down the line.

(PS My dad was a heavy smoker and alcoholic. Yet he never contracted lung cancer- but everything else- heart disease, COPD, and many others I don't even know about.)

Wishing all the best for you that they can cure this and you will be on your way to better health.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is not my thread, I will answer your question in the interest of education. I had a colonoscopy 3 years earlier. No polyps. No nothing.
I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming battle. My mother had colon cancer. For some reason, my doctor doesn't think I am high risk. I had a colonoscopy at age 50, which was completely clean, no polyps, nothing off other than my diverticulitis (which we already knew about) and I was told I don't need another for 10 years.

Meanwhile, one of my brothers gets checked every 2 years, always has polyps removed and another brother is on a 3 year recall for colonoscopies. It makes me wonder if being a male with a mom who had colon cancer is much higher risk than being a female in the same situation. At any rate, I see by your experience that having a clean colonoscopy isn't really something you can say, "come back in 10 years," about.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thank-you. I have been in two different situations where doctors were convinced I had cancer yet scheduling of the tests and surgery drug out the wait while my mind and research covered all the worst possible scenarios. It's so stressful. Being told you have colon cancer, when three years earlier you were clear, has to be even more stressful and frightening. I really hope that your treatment goes well and that you can find some peace of mind while waiting for your appointment this week with the surgeon and for whatever treatment is to come.

I have been DNA tested medically on 23andme. I took those DNA results and ran them through Promethese (which will soon be free on My Heritage) and also a site, a name that won't come to mind right now, that uses the DNA to test for 7 major cancers. That 7 cancer test came back negative for a major increased risk for any of them. I am at a slightly increased risk for colon cancer and cancer in general according to Promethease. Given my birth mother and half brother having had colon cancer and current scientific findings, I do believe that there is a genetic link and for that reason, and your reminder of how cancer can sneak up on us, I'm going back to every other year for testing.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Finally, I'm a big (BIG!!!) believer in getting records as they come in. So not only would I get a copy the summary from last time (sounds like you may already have access to that), you need to get the full report the doctor wrote up as well as a copy of the path report from the biopsies.

I so agree with you on this. I get copies of the records, reports and even the CD as soon as they are available.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sorry to hear about your upcoming battle. My mother had colon cancer. For some reason, my doctor doesn't think I am high risk. I had a colonoscopy at age 50, which was completely clean, no polyps, nothing off other than my diverticulitis (which we already knew about) and I was told I don't need another for 10 years.

Meanwhile, one of my brothers gets checked every 2 years, always has polyps removed and another brother is on a 3 year recall for colonoscopies. It makes me wonder if being a male with a mom who had colon cancer is much higher risk than being a female in the same situation. At any rate, I see by your experience that having a clean colonoscopy isn't really something you can say, "come back in 10 years," about.

I don't understand why your doctor, knowing your mother had colon cancer and your brother frequent polyps, would schedule you for 10 years out. That has not been my experience with my birth mother and half brother dying of it. I had many colonoscopies that were completely clear before they found one tiny polyp and have found no more since having the test every other year. I've also had three different gastroenterologists in different cities we moved to over the years who felt that I should have them more frequently. For me personally, I simply would not be at peace waiting that length of time.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
. I do believe that there is a genetic link.

I agree there can be a genetic link and actually had myself professionally tested to see if I was carrying the gene. Fortunately I'm not but that doesn't mean that colon cancer can't sneak up on me. At age 84½ I'm leery about having a colonoscopy. Although it is a tough call I'm going to pass on it. My uncle, a Doctor, died while being operated on for colon cancer at age 86. Frankly I feel fortunate to have made it this far...

George

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I have had many friends fighting cancer of one sort or another these past few years. You are courageous, Iggyearl. Will be thinking of you on Tuesday. Stay strong.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As time passes we think they will discover that for almost all serious medical conditions (knees, ankles, spine, cancers, etc) are genetically related/caused.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well today was d day and thankfully per my request I was the first patient at 8am, though the doc was late, of course. (Docs love to have a bunch of their patients lined up first before they start the rounds. I know. I worked with enough of them). I had to wait on the stretcher in the procedure room for about a half hour.

When I came into the office initially, the front desk immediately asked for payment- either in full or on a payment plan- since we have a high deductible plan. They have always just billed us in the past and I like it that way because I like to see what the insurance pays and then states what we are responsible for. (how would they know if I didn't have a procedure done somewhere else yesterday that covered the deductible? This makes me crazy.) Then she tells me I had a balance due for the consult with this doc a few weeks ago. I told her I just paid it online 2 days ago! SMH... So- I just paid for the colonoscopy upfront as I did not want to deal with arguing about it.

Anyway, afterwards, the nurse said I had some polyps removed (cheesh- already grew more after just a year?), but when the doc came in, he said he removed what did not actually look like polyps but he took them all out anyway. I assume that included the precancerous one- the one that he claimed was a kind they don't normally take out and that he left in last time and that he said was the reason he had to go back in this time a year later.

So having them biopsied and if all is well I would come back in a few years. Hopefully all will be good and I won't have to have another one of these for a long time. Fingers crossed.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Well today was d day and thankfully per my request I was the first patient at 8am, though the doc was late, of course. (Docs love to have a bunch of their patients lined up first before they start the rounds. I know. I worked with enough of them). I had to wait on the stretcher in the procedure room for about a half hour.

When I came into the office initially, the front desk immediately asked for payment- either in full or on a payment plan- since we have a high deductible plan. They have always just billed us in the past and I like it that way because I like to see what the insurance pays and then states what we are responsible for. (how would they know if I didn't have a procedure done somewhere else yesterday that covered the deductible? This makes me crazy.) Then she tells me I had a balance due for the consult with this doc a few weeks ago. I told her I just paid it online 2 days ago! SMH... So- I just paid for the colonoscopy upfront as I did not want to deal with arguing about it.

Anyway, afterwards, the nurse said I had some polyps removed (cheesh- already grew more after just a year?), but when the doc came in, he said he removed what did not actually look like polyps but he took them all out anyway. I assume that included the precancerous one- the one that he claimed was a kind they don't normally take out and that he left in last time and that he said was the reason he had to go back in this time a year later.

So having them biopsied and if all is well I would come back in a few years. Hopefully all will be good and I won't have to have another one of these for a long time. Fingers crossed.

Jeez, it seems to always be something, doesn’t it? Here’s hoping all is well, and this is the end of it.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How is Iggyearl doing since his surgery? Hope all went well.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Mary Ann. I am 2 weeks removed from my experience. Glad to be here. The surgery started out normal with an expectation of being laparoscopic. Turned out to be much more. Evidently the cancerous area of the colon had gotten infected and developed into a mucous puss. It ran underneath my tummy area and had to be suctioned and scraped. I got 11" of staples from my ribs to my belt area. The doctor did not deliver good news to my wife and daughter, as he had no idea of what involvement there might be. I got released after 5 days as I could pee and poop. Two days ago I got the staples removed and got a rundown of the pathology report. Amazingly, the report stated that there was no involvement with the lymph nodes. My surgeon (Dr. Johnson) was upbeat and encouraging as he hadn't seen many cases like this. I have an appointment with NYOH in Clifton Park next Monday, and look forward to some positive treatments of chemotherapy. I took my first walk around the block today, and will not be able to lift more than 10 lbs. for another month. As I have always done my regular physicals, and regular colonoscopies, I feel like I have dodged a random bullet. This situation was totally unexpected, and I feel glad to have survived it.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thanks for asking Mary Ann. I am 2 weeks removed from my experience. Glad to be here. The surgery started out normal with an expectation of being laparoscopic. Turned out to be much more. Evidently the cancerous area of the colon had gotten infected and developed into a mucous puss. It ran underneath my tummy area and had to be suctioned and scraped. I got 11" of staples from my ribs to my belt area. The doctor did not deliver good news to my wife and daughter, as he had no idea of what involvement there might be. I got released after 5 days as I could pee and poop. Two days ago I got the staples removed and got a rundown of the pathology report. Amazingly, the report stated that there was no involvement with the lymph nodes. My surgeon (Dr. Johnson) was upbeat and encouraging as he hadn't seen many cases like this. I have an appointment with NYOH in Clifton Park next Monday, and look forward to some positive treatments of chemotherapy. I took my first walk around the block today, and will not be able to lift more than 10 lbs. for another month. As I have always done my regular physicals, and regular colonoscopies, I feel like I have dodged a random bullet. This situation was totally unexpected, and I feel glad to have survived it.
Here's prayers for continued success and healing.

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for asking Mary Ann. I am 2 weeks removed from my experience. Glad to be here.
<snip>
I took my first walk around the block today, and will not be able to lift more than 10 lbs. for another month. As I have always done my regular physicals, and regular colonoscopies, I feel like I have dodged a random bullet. This situation was totally unexpected, and I feel glad to have survived it.
Good News! Glad you have it behind you. Welcome back to this side of the lawn! Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

This is great news! So glad you are now on your road to recovery! Many blessings!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Glad to hear you dodged the bullet. You are a great example that colonoscopies save lives. Thank you for sharing.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score

Glad to see your update, along with the positive news! Not sure if you need to lose weight or not, but I always appreciated when I was undergoing treatment that chemo makes a great diet for losing weight! But I'm one of those look for the bright side, things could be worse kind of people (and I don't mean for my comments to be offensive). Gear up for the fight, as it is indeed a battle. Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and your loved ones.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Glad to see your update, along with the positive news! Not sure if you need to lose weight or not, but I always appreciated when I was undergoing treatment that chemo makes a great diet for losing weight! But I'm one of those look for the bright side, things could be worse kind of people (and I don't mean for my comments to be offensive). Gear up for the fight, as it is indeed a battle. Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and your loved ones.

I was thinking today I wish I could have stayed "under" for a month with an IV so I could lose weight! And get some sleep for a change! LOL!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

So glad to read that it had not spread to lymph nodes and that you are recovering from your surgery well. Best wishes going forward.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you need to lose weight or not,

Oddly enough, I weighed 192 the day of my colonoscopy. (9/27). Today I weighed in at 175. That was my weight when I got married the first time in 1971. I am eating like a horse and hoping to fatten up. Whatever the effects of chemo, I am willing to accept them. I have no other choice.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Praise and thanks be to God. It is wonderful to hear the good news from Iggyearl and mpumilia. I hope you both feel well enough to take another vacation.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I have a dr appointment tomorrow, new Dr for me. Will probably set up a colonoscopy for me, I know it’s time for one.
Will see what happens.
Silentg