• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colonsocpy a year later- something is not right.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Earlier this year my new GP convinced me to have my first colonoscopy at age 69. Told me if I was clean, could wait 10 years. Was surprised they found many polyps. Now I must do it again in 3 years. At the time I knew two people battling the disease. One chose to have chemo, surgery and a bag. The other, only radiation. The both died in October. Better safe than sorry, my motto now.

OMG. Sorry about those poor people you knew. How awful. Yes- better to be safe.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. He did much better than me. Had 2 polyps that were removed. Doc said worse case he comes back in 3 years and best case 5. He had no exercise or diet restrictions afterwards like I did.

It sounds like your doc wants you to try the pills instead of the drink? Did you have stomach pains drinking the prep last time?

I turned those pills down. I felt it was much easier to just down the drink twice and get it over with. Key is the water needs to be real cold and just drink it down fast.

I find not eating all day harder than just drinking the prep.

When are you scheduled?

I was the one who asked for a different prep. The first time (before I reached 50) - the prep was not too bad. Second time instead of 5 years, I waited a bit long - 6 years - the prep was a prescription. I almost did not make the first round of drink/mix. I did not think I would make the second round of drink/mix. I was going to mention what my friend had but the woman at the office said the doctor told her to tell me the dulcolax. It was all over the phone. I did not go in for a "visit". I called, said I was due for my test and it was scheduled.

I called the office this morning to verify......I asked what if I was 200 pounds? Would I get the same dosage? I was tempted to take 12 instead of 16 (3 instead of four each slotted time). I am just afraid if I will be doubled in pain. 2 full glasses of water after each 4 pills. I told the girl and the hospital (when they called with my time), I might be leaving a voicemail if I don't make it......

Not eating all day is hard too. This one is 3 years after my last one because of the pre-cancerous polyps removed.

I go in Friday am.

If I make it to 80 some day, I won't be doing this. I have heard some horror stories too.

My mother in law was diagnosed with colon cancer years ago. I think she was almost 80. She had the surgery. It did not spread anywhere. No stage and no need for any type of treatment. There was a preventive medication she could take (I don't remember all the details now). The doctor said at that age, there were no numbers/percentages to see if it would benefit her. She refused any pills. She went once more for a follow-up. After that follow-up, the doctor said no more colonoscopies.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I can't remember when I had my last colonoscopy, but it was in this house and we moved here in 2011. I was talking to one of my fabric reps who'd dropped by, and the subject came up because I was headed to a pre-procedure appt in the next couple days. She says "ask for XXX, it makes prep a breeze, you'll probably have to pay for it, but it's absolutely worth it". So I have my appt and ask about XXX, yes it is available and here's a coupon to help defray the cost. I can't recall what the name of the clean out medicine was, and Cliff wouldn't ask about it for himself last year (he is more concerned with making them understand the knockout drug they use makes him throw up -- he's gone from barfing at the curb when I pull over shortly after leaving the surgical center, to barfing a couple blocks from home, to barfing at home, to just being queasy, so at least we are making progress on the timing). As I recall it cost at least $50 probably at least five years ago and it was easy Peasy. No standing at the sink trying to get the Gatorade mixture down without retching it back up.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
FBF535B1-D3AC-4A1B-BCE6-D42EACCB7A5B.png
This is what I took last time. Almost did not make it to the second dose

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
View attachment 15400 This is what I took last time. Almost did not make it to the second dose

Yes- right That is what my husband and I drink.

I am surprised your doc does not have you come in for a consult first to discuss everything. Usually they at least want the consult $$. LOL!

But seriously- our doc screens us before at these consult visits to make sure nothing is different and to discuss the options for the prep. Ex- last consult he told me a good idea is to drink the prep very cold and to help it go down bite into a lemon wedge after each gulp. Things like that. He brought up the pills but I declined. I still think it is easier to quickly gulp the prep down, but I know it is mind over matter and the stuff tastes awful

And then the day of the colonoscopy right before the procedure the nurse screens again.

My second colonoscopy I also put off for 2 years. Was suppose to be there in 5 and went in 7. Now that I am down to one I am upset about it.

I also just found out Medicare only pays for a colonoscopy every two years for a high risk individual. I have a couple of years to worry about that. But right now I have a high deductible anyway and it costs me and my husband to have them. But can't take any chances.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
For my last colonoscopy, I was given 3 full pages of prep instructions. :eek:
Tracking what I needed to do, what I could eat, and when, was a mess.
So, I took their instructions and boiled it down to a 1-page spreadsheet.
It spreadsheet inserts days, dates & times based on when I'm scheduled.

I might share my spreadsheet with them. However, they just cancelled
the pre-op appointment where you pay them to say, "Yes, you need one."
Now they can't see me until the end of January. No skin off my nose. :ponder:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Good luck! Just get it over with. I know it's not pleasant.
Just update.... did the prep Tuesday, had colonoscopy today Wednesday, all is well. Follow up with Dr in 3 weeks. Do not need another for 5 years.
Glad it’s over!
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just update.... did the prep Tuesday, had colonoscopy today Wednesday, all is well. Follow up with Dr in 3 weeks. Do not need another for 5 years.
Glad it’s over!
Silentg

Great news! You did it!