• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

College sports in the fall......doubtful

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
As a college football official, I don’t see it happening. They need to just announce it already. I don’t see how some conferences will go after others have already cancelled. Ivy and patriot leagues along with other FCS teams had announced no football. Can you imagine the fall out if something seriously happens to a player or staff in a conference that decided to play?

Can you imagine refs wearing masks with whistles built in? Sadly, I can.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine the fall out if something seriously happens to a player or staff in a conference that decided to play?

Yet the NBA, MLB, and NHL are doggedly determined to play their respective seasons. Training camps have opened. On Sportsnet.ca, if you look at each of those league's respective scoreboards, it shows that there will be games played starting late this month or the beginning of next month. I

I guess it's d*** the torpedoes. Full speed ahead!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yet the NBA, MLB, and NHL are doggedly determined to play their respective seasons. Training camps have opened. On Sportsnet.ca, if you look at each of those league's respective scoreboards, it shows that there will be games played starting late this month or the beginning of next month. I

I guess it's d*** the torpedoes. Full speed ahead!
The leagues may want to play, but I’m not so sure about the local government. SC Gov said he may not allow sports to happen. It would be a logistical nightmare. Some MLB players have already decided the risk isn’t worth it. I get that sports is a huge business but now isn’t the time to put people at risk.

geekette

Reaction score
The leagues may want to play, but I’m not so sure about the local government. SC Gov said he may not allow sports to happen. It would be a logistical nightmare. Some MLB players have already decided the risk isn’t worth it. I get that sports is a huge business but now isn’t the time to put people at risk.
Yes, now is not the time. I am much more interested in college sports being cancelled, as I'm not sure that those on scholarship would feel they have choice in the risk, nor am I certain that risks would be spelled out to them, accurately and completely. Pros have choices like the rest of us - do your job or not.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes, now is not the time. I am much more interested in college sports being cancelled, as I'm not sure that those on scholarship would feel they have choice in the risk, nor am I certain that risks would be spelled out to them, accurately and completely. Pros have choices like the rest of us - do your job or not.
I would hope the kids wouldn’t lose their scholarship. That would be horrendous. Especially when many are charging full tuition for online classes. I can’t see fall college sports happening. The silence is the worst part of it all.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
California schools aren’t opening. How would they justify distance learning but sports are on?

Brett

Reaction score

right, pros have choices and with salaries they are motivated to continue playing

geekette

Reaction score
I would hope the kids wouldn’t lose their scholarship. That would be horrendous. Especially when many are charging full tuition for online classes. I can’t see fall college sports happening. The silence is the worst part of it all.
Right, I would not expect they would lose the financial support, I'm just concerned that there would be pressure exerted on them because of the scholarship. That's why I want the sports shut down, to not put students into horrible situations. The pandemic itself is bad enough. Nobody should be coerced into taking risks that could affect their short and long term health substantially.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I was a college athlete, I would sit out the season and take a couple of courses online just to build my credits even if I had to give up my scholarship and pay myself...

George

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
No one will be losing their scholarships. Possibly their spot but those should never be guaranteed. BCS football is a lot different then FCS. I do not see either being played but one is gate driven (or at least supported) and the other is tv driven. For sure there will be delayed starts and conference only on the most part.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
No one will be losing their scholarships. Possibly their spot but those should never be guaranteed. BCS football is a lot different then FCS. I do not see either being played but one is gate driven (or at least supported) and the other is tv driven. For sure there will be delayed starts and conference only on the most part.
There are also early season “money” games for the FCS schools. There are contracts out and breaking them early may put the FCS schools in breach of contract. They are most likely waiting for FBS to make the determination. I can’t see college football happening this season. Lord knows having the officials wear masks is going to be a horrible idea if they did have football

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are also early season “money” games for the FCS schools. There are contracts out and breaking them early may put the FCS schools in breach of contract. They are most likely waiting for FBS to make the determination. I can’t see college football happening this season. Lord knows having the officials wear masks is going to be a horrible idea if they did have football

Right and without those games they have very little revenue. Even so still paying coaches, scholarships, university staff, maintenance is costly.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Right and without those games they have very little revenue. Even so still paying coaches, scholarships, university staff, maintenance is costly.
True, so having a season would cost them. Not to mention the risk involved. Just announce the cancelled season. Some conferences are already.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, so having a season would cost them. Not to mention the risk involved. Just announce the cancelled season. Some conferences are already.

A lot is sunk costs. Should not make a difference on deciding if they play. Worse case is they start a season and never gets finished. The end of season games are money games. If students are not on campus it makes the athletes look/feel more professional which they are.

If I was an incoming freshmen, sophomore, redshirt junior I would be working for the long term. Comeback next year hopefully a much better athlete.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Actually, those schools that are TV driven are also gate driven. This is from the 2018-19 season for LSU: Overall, the largest sources of revenue in the LSU athletic budget are from ticket sales ($41.4 million), contributions ($40.1 million) and media rights ($39.9 million).

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, those schools that are TV driven are also gate driven. This is from the 2018-19 season for LSU: Overall, the largest sources of revenue in the LSU athletic budget are from ticket sales ($41.4 million), contributions ($40.1 million) and media rights ($39.9 million).

And gate driven is a wash this year if they play or not. Ticket sales also come with added expenses and added game day revenue. The college towns will be the real losers from online classes and no fans.

geekette

Reaction score
....The college towns will be the real losers from online classes and no fans.

there are so many losers in this whole thing .... but, yeah... I stayed on campus 2 summers and the place sure did clear out. Like anywhere else, it's hard to know when "college town" or any "down town" is going to be back to something similar to what it was.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope the NCAA will give these college athletic programs an extra year to showcase their programs because of COVID-19..

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I hope the NCAA will give these college athletic programs an extra year to showcase their programs because of COVID-19..
I’m shocked the NCAA hasn’t made any statements

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Both the NCAA and NAIA allowed spring-sport athletes to red shirt for the year after their season was cut short. I have no doubt that if the fall sport is cancelled, they will do the same this time around.

Kurt

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yet the NBA, MLB, and NHL are doggedly determined to play their respective seasons. Training camps have opened. On Sportsnet.ca, if you look at each of those league's ......

NHL -all games in Toronto or Edmonton bubbles .
NBA- all games in Disney Orlando bubble .

I hope this bubble concept works / I think a non- bubble concept is unrealistic.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On the NCAA, it's hard to both be the sherriff *and* the Chamber of Commerce in the same town. It's really no surprise that they tend to fulfill both roles poorly.