• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Coffee Makers in Australia & NZ?

LynnW

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have two timeshare weeks booked one in Australia and one in NZ. Is it true that there are no coffee makers in the units? I assume they have kettles though? Is there anyplace to purchases a cheap coffee maker? I cannot imagine going with out coffee in the morning for 2 weeks! :eek:

Lynn

colamedia

TUG Member
Reaction score
What timeshares are you staying at? Where? A lot of them don't have coffee makers. I think US timeshares usually have a drip cofee maker? Drip coffee makers aren't popular in Australia, French press coffee makers and expresso machines are more popular. Expresso machines are too expensive to be timeshare equipment, plus much too easy to use incorrectly, so going out for serious coffee in the morning is quite common. You will probably find the price of a coffee expensive. Timeshares usually aren't close to anything in Australia, so it may be a challenge.
McDonald's does have the drip coffee available (I think)
I think you can still get 'coffee bags' like tea bags, or it might be worth investing in a coffee press to bring with you (it will be cheaper in America, everything is cheaper in America)

LynnW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at Pacific Palms for a week following the Tug cruise and then flying back to NZ and staying at Taupo Ika Nui. Since we are going to be away for 6 weeks I don't think we have room for a coffee press. Is there kettles in the units and can you buy instant coffee?

Lynn

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lynn, I don't know if these are available in Canada, but here, and on Amazon, we can get Folger's coffee in bags- like tea bags. It's much better than instant. If it's not in your stores, try Amazon. I saw it packaged as 6- 19 count for like $27USD. That would be way too much to carry around, but you can take one box.

Have fun in Oz.

Jim

LynnW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lynn, I don't know if these are available in Canada, but here, and on Amazon, we can get Folger's coffee in bags- like tea bags. It's much better than instant. If it's not in your stores, try Amazon. I saw it packaged as 6- 19 count for like $27USD. That would be way too much to carry around, but you can take one box.

Have fun in Oz.

Jim

Thanks Jim I think we can probably get them here. Hopefully we'll all be having fun! You are going on the Tug cruise aren't you?

Lynn

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jim I think we can probably get them here. Hopefully we'll all be having fun! You are going on the Tug cruise aren't you?

Lynn

No. We originally signed up, but the airfare got a bit too dear for us and we backed out. Turns out DW's 94 y.o. dad is not doing well and it's a matter of us being fairly closely available. As in not on a ship a long way off. When this situation resolves we'll widen our horizons again.

Jim

colamedia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, Pacific Palms. Not the most plush timeshare out there. They do have lots of organised tours each day, they are worth checking out, they go places normal cars can't, so it's worth doing those. You will want to be out and about. There are hardly any tv channels on the tv, and mobile phone reception is poor. They didn't have any internet access a couple of years ago, we went up to McDonald's 20min away. Hopefully thay have upgraded the TVs, they were tiny CRTs when we were there, as far away from the seating as you could get.

You can get Robert Timms coffee bags in the Australian supermarkets. From their website.....
The House of Robert Timms coffee bags come in individually wrapped single serve pouches, delivering maximum freshness, whilst being convenient to take anywhere and easy to use.
Our coffee bags offer a fast, no fuss way to prepare the perfect cup. Simply pour in the hot water and allow the coffee to infuse for 3-4 minutes.
Ensure that the coffee bag is fully immersed in the boiling water for a better flavour.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lynn, we often travel with a light-weight Melita plastic cone (and filters), even on long-haul trips - the kind you pour heated water thru - and buy fresh-ground coffee when we arrive. IMO better than those bags, and way better than instant. It doesn't take up much space because you can pack clothes inside and around it. These only cost a few dollars if you don't have one.

LynnW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah, Pacific Palms. Not the most plush timeshare out there. They do have lots of organised tours each day, they are worth checking out, they go places normal cars can't, so it's worth doing those. You will want to be out and about. There are hardly any tv channels on the tv, and mobile phone reception is poor. They didn't have any internet access a couple of years ago, we went up to McDonald's 20min away. Hopefully thay have upgraded the TVs, they were tiny CRTs when we were there, as far away from the seating as you could get.

You can get Robert Timms coffee bags in the Australian supermarkets. From their website.....
The House of Robert Timms coffee bags come in individually wrapped single serve pouches, delivering maximum freshness, whilst being convenient to take anywhere and easy to use.
Our coffee bags offer a fast, no fuss way to prepare the perfect cup. Simply pour in the hot water and allow the coffee to infuse for 3-4 minutes.
Ensure that the coffee bag is fully immersed in the boiling water for a better flavour.

How long ago were you at Pacific Palms? I'm surprised because we got this exchange through SFX. I did read that they have made improvements so I hope so. We will have a car so I hope there are places we can drive to.

Lynn

colamedia

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there 18months ago as an II Flexchange, I didn't think it was worth that. I would expect the TVs would be LCD by now, but that might be the extent of the upgrades. Knowing their other resorts, even their upgraded properties would fall short, IMO.

rosie

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Coffee

We just came back from Australia and stayed in 4 different Time shares. They all had French Presses or Plungers as they call them. You can use ground coffee in them. All timeshares had starter packs of instant coffee and tea. They also provided a Tetra Pack of fresh milk. Hope this is helpful

LynnW

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came back from Australia and stayed in 4 different Time shares. They all had French Presses or Plungers as they call them. You can use ground coffee in them. All timeshares had starter packs of instant coffee and tea. They also provided a Tetra Pack of fresh milk. Hope this is helpful

Thanks so much rosie. I think we'll pack some instant coffee and hope the resort has French Presses.

Lynn

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just came back from Australia and stayed in 4 different Time shares.

Can I ask what timeshares you booked? Apart from in-town locations in Melbourne and Sydney, I'm having trouble finding a place I'd want to stay a week (as a tourist wanting to 'see' Australia in a few weeks).

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I find Starbucks individually packed instant coffee to be good enough when I need a quick coffee fix.
BTW, we will be on the cruise as well. Looking forward to seeing you.

LynnW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find Starbucks individually packed instant coffee to be good enough when I need a quick coffee fix.
BTW, we will be on the cruise as well. Looking forward to seeing you.

Thanks Lisa

I think I'll pick up some Starbucks today and hopefully can get more when we get there. Yes I know you're going on the cruise and look forward to meeting you. It's to bad we had so many cancel. We are leaving on Wed so I'm just starting to pack. As for Pacific Palms I guess we'll have to make the best of it and hope we get a decent unit. The reviews on Trip Advisor rate it fairly high.

Lynn