• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Co-Founder of RCI -Christel DeHaan has died

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Article from the Indianapolis Star June 6, 2020
Christel DeHaan, a German immigrant who grew an Indiana-based timeshare condominium business into a global player and later used proceeds to fund education and anti-poverty initiatives around the world, has died, friends close to her announced Saturday. She was 77.

DeHaan founded Christel House International, a nonprofit organization that works to transform the lives of impoverished children through education. She leaves behind three children, numerous grandchildren, great-
grandchildren and nieces and nephews.

She founded Christel House in 1998 after a career as co-founder of Resort Condominiums International. The nonprofit now serves nearly 6,000 students and graduates worldwide through schools in India, Jamaica, Mexico, South Africa and the United States.

In addition to her work and devotion to Christel House, Christel was known for her generosity to the arts in Central Indiana and has served on numerous local and national boards. The fine arts center at University of Indianapolis bears her name: the Christel DeHaan Fine Arts Center.

"While we were lucky that Christel decided to call Indianapolis home, she was truly a citizen of the world," Mayor Joe Hogsett said in a statement. "As a philanthropist, Christel utilized her resources to invest in areas where she saw a need – strengthening arts and cultural institutions and providing educational opportunities to children in Indianapolis and around the globe.

"I am grateful for the friendship and support of Christel over the years and know that her impact will be felt for generations to come.”

Appreciating the simple things in life
Born in Germany in the midst of World War II, DeHaan was raised by her mother, Anna, after her father, Adolf Stark, was killed toward the end of the war by American bombs. Although the family’s life was far from lavish, her mother would feed hungry people and support war orphans, she said in a 2010 IndyStar profile of her.

As a teenager, she moved to England to become a governess. She later moved to Indiana after meeting her first husband back in Germany on a U.S. Army base. Her upbringing led her to appreciate the simple things in life, she said.

"I can get excited when I see a sunset. I can get excited when I see the first violet coming out in the ground or the first daffodil blooming," she said. "I think that has a lot to do with the way we grew up and the circumstances of those times."

But later in life, after marrying her second husband, Jon DeHaan, she enjoyed a far more luxurious existence. Together, starting in the early 1970s, the two built a timeshare business, Resort Condominiums International, becoming among the first to develop the idea of allowing timeshare owners to trade time with those at other resorts.

During the late 1980s and early 1990s, the couple became embroiled in a messy divorce. It ended with Christel buying Jon out of the company. In 1997, however, she sold the company — which had about 4,000 employees at the time, 1,500 of those in Indianapolis — for $625 million to hotel franchiser HFS Inc.

In an IndyStar article published at the time, DeHaan said that she had visited all but three of RCI’s 68 offices in 32 countries.

A 'poverty alleviation model'
The following year, DeHaan had an epiphany. She had traveled to Mexico to learn more about a nun who was seeking support to help with an impoverished orphanage, the IndyStar reported in 2010. She wanted to do something that would have a lasting impact on the lives of children in need.

Christel House was born.

The concept was what she called a “poverty alleviation model.” The model consisted of providing schools for children and helping their families with services to prepare children for college or skilled jobs.

The first school opened in Mexico City. Next came Indiana and then Venezuela. She has said that she chose her charity’s name with care.

"I liked the word 'house' because I wanted our children to feel that this is their house and this is their home. This is their special place," she said. "'House' always had significant meaning."

DeHaan’s own 40-room home, sequestered behind high walls along Michigan Road, was famously opulent with tapestries and an indoor pool. The 20,000-square-foot Italianate mansion sits on 172 acres.

While she defined herself as a private person, she would regularly host up to 50 guests at her home, which was filled with salons, each with a specific topic, from health care to what had happened to civility.

Her attention to detail at these events reflected how meticulous she had been as a businesswoman, said Brian Payne, president and chief executive officer of the Central Indiana Community Foundation.

“It wasn’t a cocktail party. It was a serious discussion in a beautiful setting,” Payne said. “This was an evening that was beautifully curated…. It was about becoming seriously knowledgeable about things and having important discussions.

At one salon that focused on the French playwright Moliere, Payne’s wife, Gail, raised her hand when one of the performers asked for a volunteer from the audience. After the event, DeHaan went out of her way to write her guest a note to thank her for her contribution.

Christel House
DeHaan applied the same level of attention to her school. When Oprah Winfrey decided to open her own school in South Africa, she turned to DeHaan for advice, Payne said.

"That's how incredible Christel was," he said.

But not all of the press about DeHaan and her schools was positive.

In 2013, an Associated Press report found that state school officials worked to change the school’s grade from a C to an A in 2012.

According to the Associated Press, Christel House was still slowly growing its high school at the time, allowing its incomplete high school test scores to be excluded from the grading formula. Its score was re-calculated to an A using only elementary school data.

Emails obtained by the AP show then-Superintendent Tony Bennett and his staff scrambled to ensure DeHaan’s school received an A.

Other schools saw their grades change, but the emails showed DeHaan’s charter was a catalyst for the changes.

DeHaan had given more than $2.8 million to Republicans, including $130,000 to Bennett and thousands more to state legislative leaders.

The following year, the academy’s grade dropped from an A to an F.

More recently, however, Christel House schools have stood as models for education success. Currently there are four schools in Indianapolis, including a high school. Earlier this year Indianapolis Public Schools announced plans to partner with Christel House and move some of its programs to Manual High School.

None of this would have been possible without DeHaan's vision and effort.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb called DeHaan "a great community leader."

"Christel was a world renown humanitarian, rooted in her expertise in business and expressed through immense compassion," Holcomb said in a statement. "She used her talents to support the arts, and transform the lives of impoverished children globally through educational access to those she had never met.

"I will miss her spirit, her wit, her commitment, but most of all daily inspiration. We should all be comforted knowing her legacy will live on for generations to come.”

Dennert O. Ware, chair of the Christel House International Governance Committee, said DeHaan's "vision and compassion were unparalleled."

“Christel sought to provide impoverished children with a seat at the table of life – and accomplished her mission with a unique blend of business acumen, generosity and empathy for those less fortunate. Her legacy will live on in the thousands of lives she uplifted.”

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Wow! You posted the whole article. Good for you!
I never met her but know people who did. Lots of interesting tidbits in the article - including Oprah turned to her for guidance. And, lots of interesting tidbits left out :)
Surely it was her second husband Jon who made T/S what they are with the exchange system. She also made significant donations to a local University where they've named the Performance Center after her. She did a lot of good with her money.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A shining example of a life well lived, and that one does well by doing good. R.I.P.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The original RCI was her and her husband with index cards in a folder doing manual exchanges.

Several years ago I was in Florida at an event and she was going to speak about her charity and they were going to auction some expensive paintings. It was a blistering Florida day and we were outside and the podium was facing the afternoon sun. She was squinting and sweating trying to get through her talk. I saw the painting and walked over and grabbed it and held it over my head to provide her some shade.

She proceeded to talk for another 15 minutes! That painting got real heavy after a while. I was young and fit and survived it but needed a beer after that one.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Christel was on the board of directors at the University of Indianapolis where I attended. She donated $3.5 million for the construction of the fine arts center at the University. It is a beautiful facility. When I graduated from the university she spoke at the graduation ceremony.

Goldi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Here’s a link to Christel’s biography. It describes how RCI was founded.