• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking to book a vacation next spring at Club Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains . What is the differance between these 2 locations? Fairways on the Mountains or Fox Run and Maple Ridge?

troy12n

Reaction score
I believe Fox Run is/was Shell Inventory that Wyndham owners have access to (like FoxHunt at Sapphire Valley). Maple Ridge is Wyndham units for sure. I'm not entirely sure about Fairways on the Mountains, but I don't think it's Wyndham owned. I think it's pooled inventory Wyndham has access to. Similar to how Fairway Forest (a Diamond Resort now) is available to us at Sapphire Valley.

I have stayed at Maple Ridge. They are older units (i'm guessing built in the 70's or early 80's) but clean, and comfortable. I've stayed in a 2BR and 2BR Loft units there, and it fit our needs well. The layout is very similar to Mountain Laurel at Sapphire Valley if you have stayed there.

You have access to all the amenities at Rumbling Bald resort (down the street, a short drive) including multiple pools (indoor and out), workout rooms, hot tubs, restaurants, etc.

I like the resort. If you don't have kids (I don't think you do) you will like it. Kids of any age will get bored. But there's a lot of "outdoorsy" stuff to do nearby. I recommend Chimney Rock park, a lake cruise and a visit to Asheville.

I can't comment on accomodations in the other sections you have mentioned because i've never stayed in there. But I THINK Fairways Of the Mountains (not on the mountains) is the units right up against one of the golf courses, you can see them as you drive up. They appear to be nice enough from the outside. Older as mentioned, but nice.

I think a lot of people are spoiled by newer resorts and expect everything to be like Bonnet Creek or the newer resorts. This location is not that. So set expectations accordingly.

I know the area well, I have friends and family in the area and nearby so i've been going up there for decades. Just know it's pretty remote. Cell service will be almost nonexistant.

Last edited:

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Fox Run. They are not (or were not as of last year) managed by Wyndham, so the kitchen items are different than what we are used to. The unit was older, but ours was clean and had new carpet and updated furniture, so it was fine. We overlooked the golf course and could walk down to the lake. You have to drive from Maple Ridge.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I beleive Fairway of the Mountains is a VRI Resort.

troy12n

Reaction score
One word on the Maple Ridge 2 BR Loft units, they are odd, and if you don't need a place to stow kids, to me it's kind of a waste of points vs a normal 2BR. It's an interesting setup, but you access them via a really narrow spiral staircase, and I found it unwieldy. I only went up there twice. Once to check it out, and once to kill a huge roach walking across the wall (another story).

There is another fold-out bed up there, so if you need capacity, it's good for that. Lugging suitcases up there might be challenging for some.

Reaction score
I have stayed at Fox Run. They are not (or were not as of last year) managed by Wyndham, so the kitchen items are different than what we are used to. The unit was older, but ours was clean and had new carpet and updated furniture, so it was fine. We overlooked the golf course and could walk down to the lake. You have to drive from Maple Ridge.
Can you confirm if you have to drive to the pool/amenities from both Fox Run and Maple Ridge, or is it only Maple Ridge? I booked Maple Ridge in two weeks because it was Wyndham owned and I thought that would be better than non-Wyndham, but we really don't want to have to drive to the pool...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Foxrun Townhouses were never part of Shell. We have owned at Foxrun for 17 years and Shell almost as long. It's always been managed by VRI, but there are some weeks that are Bluegreen inventory. We shouldn't confuse Foxrun Townhouses with whatever Wyndham has in that area. Foxrun is well loved by owners, and I am saddened to see that VRI was taken over by a bigger company, I think Capital Vacations or something.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Can you confirm if you have to drive to the pool/amenities from both Fox Run and Maple Ridge, or is it only Maple Ridge? I booked Maple Ridge in two weeks because it was Wyndham owned and I thought that would be better than non-Wyndham, but we really don't want to have to drive to the pool...
Pretty sure all Wyndham units are a half mile to mile away from the 'ammenity' area - clubhouse, beach, tennis, etc. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Our Maple Ridge unit was a good mile away.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maple Ridge was a drive away. We could walk from Fox Run. It was a bit of a walk, but there were paths along the golf course to the pool.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
I think we stayed at Fairways at the Mountains about 6-7 years ago. It was one of our first TS trips. Compared to where we've been since, the unit (I think it was a 2BR but may have been 1BR) was older but serviceable. It was right by the golf course with walking paths behind it. Wyndham amenities such as additional towels, additional coffee, etc. were unavailable after the welcome kit as per info in the unit. There was a bbq (charcoal) right outside each unit (I think, certainly was one outside ours). It had its own pool that was walkable and generally barely occupied. Just a plain pool. Sometimes a car from somewhere else showed up with people to also use the pool. Units were definitely in a quieter area and checkin was in a non-Wyndham location. Did have to drive to the Wyndham amenities but found the pools there to be too noisy and crowded. As previously mentioned, got to Chimney Rock State Park, The Biltmore (tickets are very expensive), take a boat tour on the lake, take a drive to Asheville for a visit. Note that you're in the mountains; roads can be dark & twisty. The gps may take you the shortest way but that may not be the way you want to drive. Try to be on Interstates as much as possible.

troy12n

Reaction score
Supposedly Wyndham owns 2 sections of units at Lake Lure: Maple Ridge and Mountain Loft. They also have access to Fox Run and Fairways on the Mountains. So when you book at Lake Lure, you could wind up in any of these sections, but in all likelihood it's going to be Maple Ridge. I have stayed there twice and both times in Maple Ridge.

All of the resort amenities are in the Rumbling Bald community, which is another timeshare, it's right on the lake, has several pools, workout room, playgrounds. Very nice amenities you have access to no matter where you stay, also the lake and a restaurant which is right on the lake and very beautiful views. Pretty good food too.

Maple Ridge and Fairways on the Mountains are a couple miles away from Rumbling Bald, it's possible to walk, but it's pretty far, and no sidewalks most of the way, and also a pretty steep walk back (up hill). Fox Run and Mountain loft are actually inside the gates of Rumbling Bald, and you could walk to the amenities. Never stayed at these sections, so i'm not sure what kind of walk it is.

New owners may get put off by the fact that these are older timeshares, but they are clean/comfy and spacious. If you get the 2 BR loft at Maple Ridge, it's huge and has a "loft" where you can stuff extra kids, they love it up there because it's "away from mom and dad". Is the loft worth the extra points? Honestly for us, it probably wasn't, but there's another fold out bed if you need room or have a bunch of kids.

There's plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do in the area, cell service is about nonexistent. But you are on vacation, so who cares.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Supposedly Wyndham owns 2 sections of units at Lake Lure: Maple Ridge and Mountain Loft. They also have access to Fox Run and Fairways on the Mountains. So when you book at Lake Lure, you could wind up in any of these sections, but in all likelihood it's going to be Maple Ridge. I have stayed there twice and both times in Maple Ridge.

All of the resort amenities are in the Rumbling Bald community, which is another timeshare, it's right on the lake, has several pools, workout room, playgrounds. Very nice amenities you have access to no matter where you stay, also the lake and a restaurant which is right on the lake and very beautiful views. Pretty good food too.

Maple Ridge and Fairways on the Mountains are a couple miles away from Rumbling Bald, it's possible to walk, but it's pretty far, and no sidewalks most of the way, and also a pretty steep walk back (up hill). Fox Run and Mountain loft are actually inside the gates of Rumbling Bald, and you could walk to the amenities. Never stayed at these sections, so i'm not sure what kind of walk it is.

New owners may get put off by the fact that these are older timeshares, but they are clean/comfy and spacious. If you get the 2 BR loft at Maple Ridge, it's huge and has a "loft" where you can stuff extra kids, they love it up there because it's "away from mom and dad". Is the loft worth the extra points? Honestly for us, it probably wasn't, but there's another fold out bed if you need room or have a bunch of kids.

There's plenty of outdoorsy stuff to do in the area, cell service is about nonexistent. But you are on vacation, so who cares.

Do you know or remember if there's a daily fee when you stay in the Fox Run and Fairways sections? I thought there used to be something on the website about the fee for those sections but it's not there now.