• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Wyndham Oceanside “meeting” text

gwynhyvar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA (San Diego RARP)
Waikiki Beach Walk
The day I arrived, before I got to the resort, I got a text saying that my “appointment” was for Mar 14 @ 8:30 am. Um no. Not going to go. I have plans. Even if I didn’t, you don’t TELL me about an “appointment” I neither requested nor want. Beyond irritated at this sales tactic.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
The day I arrived, before I got to the resort, I got a text saying that my “appointment” was for Mar 14 @ 8:30 am. Um no. Not going to go. I have plans. Even if I didn’t, you don’t TELL me about an “appointment” I neither requested nor want. Beyond irritated at this sales tactic.
Then why not just laugh it off instead of getting all bent out of shape?

The fact that it connected so strongly with someone who has no interest, shows how effective this tactic will be.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then why not just laugh it off instead of getting all bent out of shape?

The fact that it connected so strongly with someone who has no interest, shows how effective this tactic will be.
Effective, but not in the way your response suggests.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
This whole dance is a lot easier when I remember that (a) this is just someone's job, (b) I don't owe them any of my time, and (c) I certainly don't owe them any of my equanimity. When asked in person, I usually offer a sad "Oh, I don't ever go to updates," as if there was some unspeakable horror in my past that I can't possibly get into; you understand of course. If pressed as to why not? "Oh, I just don't ever go to updates."

Getting something by text/email? Ignored and blocked. If they want to hold a spot for me instead of making that spot available for someone who might go on a tour, that's not my problem.

I'm checking in to Oceanside later this month. Will be interesting to see what happens.

troy12n

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many people get their panties in a wad over stuff like this. Like Wyndham is violating your constitutional rights or something. You just tell them no, or ignore some idiotic text like this.

I'm at La Cascada in San Antonio right now, and the "wristband" guy was very persistent, after a few "NO's", I said something to the effect of "I'm trying to be respectful of you here, and realize it's your job to sign people up for these things, but I just have no interest in attending an update and am not going to", and it ended there.

After I checked in a few hours later when me and the family were heading out for some activities, as I was walking through the lobby, some guy was verbally berating the same wristband guy I dealt with. Which I thought was completely ridiculous. But this is Texas, and i'm sure "freedom" somehow entered the equation in this guy's mind... you never know. Since it was the same guy who tried to get me, I have to assume he was using similar tactics, and nothing out of line or worthy of such response from an obviously privilaged timeshare owner.

The only time I get upset is when the "wristband" people lead in with the lies and deceit. If they are at least honest and straightforward with me, I give them the benefit of the doubt. But people like "Kim" at Governors Green who lie and threaten people with "losing their VIP" if they don't attend, I have no room for people like that, but even then wouldn't verbally berate someone or dress them down in public like this guy I saw Saturday

Mr. Phil

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HHI
I have mentioned to the "wrist band" people. Appreciate your invitation, yet on a tight schedule and will pass on any presentation. They gracefully, let me go. Just do not understand the comments about being "upset" about pressure on going to a presentation. Just say not interested at this time, or on a tight schedule and they let you go on.

gwynhyvar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waikiki Beach Walk
I don't understand why so many people get their panties in a wad over stuff like this. Like Wyndham is violating your constitutional rights or something. You just tell them no, or ignore some idiotic text like this.
Unsolicited texts are spam. Sending an “appointment” with no way to opt out or contact them is B.S.

I was informing other people about my experience. If this bothers anyone, feel free to scroll on by.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We're no longer asked but a check in experience last year reminded me of when we used to be asked. We were at Ocean Walk. There were three people working check in and between the wait in line and the registering process it took about 15 minutes, maybe a few more. Our unit wasn't ready yet and they said we could go over to the wristband area. It had moved since we were there last so I figured why not go check it out. There were 12 podiums and we counted 15 people working them. Wth! I'll spare everyone the details but we wasted almost 20 minutes more and they didn't even get to ask us to go to an update. The upside to that was by that time I got the text that our unit was ready. I went back to check in and asked for them to take care of the wristbands for me.

That made me remember all the times over the years that we've arrived at a resort after driving for 8-13 hours or being up since 4am to get to get ready to leave for the airport. We were tired, wanted a shower, sometimes hungry and still had to get settled in our unit.

No means no.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We're no longer asked but a check in experience last year reminded me of when we used to be asked. We were at Ocean Walk. There were three people working check in and between the wait in line and the registering process it took about 15 minutes, maybe a few more. Our unit wasn't ready yet and they said we could go over to the wristband area. It had moved since we were there last so I figured why not go check it out. There were 12 podiums and we counted 15 people working them. Wth! I'll spare everyone the details but we wasted almost 20 minutes more and they didn't even get to ask us to go to an update. The upside to that was by that time I got the text that our unit was ready. I went back to check in and asked for them to take care of the wristbands for me.

That made me remember all the times over the years that we've arrived at a resort after driving for 8-13 hours or being up since 4am to get to get ready to leave for the airport. We were tired, wanted a shower, sometimes hungry and still had to get settled in our unit.

No means no.
Off topic-ish -- they've moved the checkin desks AGAIN at Ocean Walk. They now have it set up in the lobby of the north tower. Conceirge type area on the right as you walk in, checkin desk against the window overlooking the ocean. Still go down the hall to the left (north) to get your wrist bands (they've been doing that for a bit now).

Maybe back on topic - Bonnet Creek has gotten bad about wrist bands - they send you over to the side desk to get them and they have been known to insist that each person get their own. I think so they can solicit anyone in the room that might be eligible. We are on the do not tour list so it should be painless - but maybe in times of desperation they try to talk to non-owners staying with you. I've been solicited more than I'd care to be, even with our do not tour, although it's never bad (not even close to the normal harassment).

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
Unsolicited texts for marketing purposes are not only SPAM, they are not legal and can lead to huge penalties if you can prove who it came from. If you have not consented to receive these texts, then complain to Wyndham. Make sure they know that they cannot text you for these purposes (any sort of owner updates, sales meetings, or other attempts to sell). Call owner services and let them know. You have probably consented without even knowing somewhere along the line (entering a contest, claiming a prize or those gifts to attend a presentation.) Texting someone without their explicit consent gives that individual a private right to action against the market (even those that claim they are not selling anything, just setting an appointment or offering you their services are still technically marketing). Also complain to the FCC. Enough complaints and they not only investigate but usually end up with a multi-million dollar settlement or penalty against the company. Once you inform them not to text you for this reason and they do, you can use that complaint to contact Wyndham legal and actually get put on their do no gift list because they really don't want a potential multi-million dollar federal investigation examining their texting records against their documented consent records.

troy12n

Reaction score
Unsolicited texts for marketing purposes are not only SPAM, they are not legal and can lead to huge penalties...Also complain to the FCC. Enough complaints and they not only investigate but usually end up with a multi-million dollar settlement or penalty against the company. Once you inform them not to text you for this reason and they do, you can use that complaint to contact Wyndham legal and actually get put on their do no gift list because they really don't want a potential multi-million dollar federal investigation examining their texting records against their documented consent records.

So here's the thing, Some of you can cry about how your dainty ears cannot handle the unwanted phone calls and your eyes cannot stand the sight of the unwanted texts, and even opine about how these unwanted texts ruined your vacation, but here's the deal...

You all have entered into a business relationship with Wyndham. As such, they are exempt from any of the laws against unsolicited phone calls and texts that are being referenced. Period.
Is it a good business practice? No... admittedly not, but also, some of you need to put your big boy and big girl pants on, and stand up for yourselves, or at least stop whining about this.

Or take the RickandCindy approach and leave ownership... because this sort of thing isnt going to change. And it isn't illegal.

gwynhyvar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waikiki Beach Walk
Update: They tried to call me the night before the “meeting.” I didn't answer and blocked the number.

THEN they slipped a paper in my door.

The morning of, they came to my door and RANG THE DOORBELL LOUDLY, TWICE at 8:55 am, after I missed the 8:30 time.

I'm definitely complaining to owner services.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
So here's the thing, Some of you can cry about how your dainty ears cannot handle the unwanted phone calls and your eyes cannot stand the sight of the unwanted texts, and even opine about how these unwanted texts ruined your vacation, but here's the deal...

You all have entered into a business relationship with Wyndham. As such, they are exempt from any of the laws against unsolicited phone calls and texts that are being referenced. Period.
Is it a good business practice? No... admittedly not, but also, some of you need to put your big boy and big girl pants on, and stand up for yourselves, or at least stop whining about this.

Or take the RickandCindy approach and leave ownership... because this sort of thing isnt going to change. And it isn't illegal.

Sort of but not exactly. The donotcall@wyn.com list exists because there is a legal requirement for any/all telemarketing or any other type of phone call in which the caller is soliciting you to provide an opt-out function/capability. This includes calls at the resorts to the best of my understanding. It used to be that submitting a request to donotcall@wyn.com also resulted in the owner being placed on the DoNotGift/DoNotSell list - but this changed last summer. What I now recommend is for all owners to submit a request to be placed on the DoNotCall list - as this is something Wyndham (or any other business that attempts to solicit via phone calls) must honor. Texts are opt-in only as a general rule - but once you opt-in - and as someone else said - you likely did opt-in for text communications at some point - but if you did - you can simply text back to be removed from the list (opt-out) - and they typically must honor this request as well - and this is typically done by replying STOP in the text thread. Just beware that this may also result in not receiving the texts you want to receive from Wyndham for resort check-ins and so forth.

Lastly, the other thing every Wyndham owner should do is to leverage the opt-out function embedded within Wyndham's Privacy policy - which everyone can review by going here:

Here's a link directly to the op-out form that will require Wyndham to legally remove your PI from being shared with any/all third party affiliates (you know - those random sell your timeshare phone calls that you get?):

Here's what your right are to as described in the link above:

1678823345347.png

You will receive an email response when submitting this form indicating your case number. Then, at some point within a few weeks of your submission you will receive confirmation along this line (yes, I did this myself):

1678822980216.png

Here's why this may be important, and I say may, because I've been using the text messaging, including the forms used to capture information prior to check-in, and I've never received any text for a meeting invite as has been indicated in this thread. Wyndham likely uses a third party for these text messages, and by refusing to have your PI shared with any third party - you should no longer receive these texts. If you do - you should reference your case number and opting out of all sharing of PIs to third parties - and send it to both Michael Brown's office and privacy@wyn.com for review. This may or may not work - but if enough of us start complaining - someone at Wyndham will start to take notice - as they must reply to privacy rights issues via these mechanisms legally.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether the sales meeting text might be related to the New Advance Check-in Process? If you do the Advance Check-in, are you re-opting-in to receive these types of calls/messages?

@gwynhyvar: just wondering if you used the Advanced Check-in for your Oceanside stay? What you dealt with sounds like borderline harassment and something I would love to figure out how to avoid.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Does anyone know whether the sales meeting text might be related to the New Advance Check-in Process? If you do the Advance Check-in, are you re-opting-in to receive these types of calls/messages?

@gwynhyvar: just wondering if you used the Advanced Check-in for your Oceanside stay? What you dealt with sounds like borderline harassment and something I would love to figure out how to avoid.

Great question as this was my assumption as well on this thread - and my reasoning behind what I recommended in my previous post.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Just to clarify.

The Do Not Gift list means they can still ask you and you can go but you don't get anything for going. There's no advantage to you to be on the DNG list.

The Do Not Sell list is the list you want to be on if you don't want to be asked. As we've learned Wyndham is no longer granting requests to be put on the DNS list.

There used to be and still may be two other ways to get on the DNS list.
1. Rent enough for enough years that Wyndham puts you on that list.
2. If you make a developer purchase, request that the salesperson "wharehouse" you, put you on the DNS list. That's the term I've heard used.

When we have an upcoming stay I appreciate the the texts, emails or calls from the resorts. I provide our vehicle info, the names of everyone who will be staying in the unit. I let them know our ETA; sometimes it's early and sometimes it's late. Since Covid for many of the resorts we've stayed at that's been helpful to know. I also confirm that my cell number is the best contact number. If I have a request for a building or buildings or a view I let them know I would greatly appreciate it if they're able to do that for us. I don't always have a request but since we're Presidential Reserve/Founders most resorts will try. If we haven't stayed at the resort before or in the last few years, I ask about the amenities at the resort, what's open, hours, etc.

Sometimes we get the person who called or responded to the text checking us k in. That's fun and makes for a pleasant check in experience. They do appreciate owners taking the time to respond.

Once in awhile I do get a text for a reservation I cancelled. I could ignore the text but I reply that I cancelled the reservation. Reading the text and replying takes me less than a minute. I'm retired, I can spare that scant minute. Lol

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
There used to be and still may be two other ways to get on the DNS list.
1. Rent enough for enough years that Wyndham puts you on that list.
2. If you make a developer purchase, request that the salesperson "wharehouse" you, put you on the DNS list. That's the term I've heard used.
3. Give back a contract, even just one resale, via Certified Exit. I haven’t been asked since 2019 - and I was 3/4 through a 4-resort trip when the first contract left my account, was asked at the earlier stops and suddenly not at the last check-in (Grand Desert of all places).

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista

Actually, they are only exempt when it comes to contacts via landline and face to face contacts. An established business relationship is not adequate for marketing calls/texts to a cell phone. Under TCPA, any calls or texts to a cell phone for marketing (appointment setting, any situation where they bring up selling you something) require explicit consent to make that contact for marketing reasons (even with an established business relationship) that has been documented along with the ability to opt-out at any time. This doesn't apply to a transactional call like you check-in and have to wait for a room and they text you that the room is ready. There are sneaky ways to get consent though, so you really need to call owner services to opt out if you've ever accepted any gift or reward or entered any contest from Wyndham. Then, whenever you give them a phone number, make sure they know it's only for guest services related issues and that they cannot call or text you for marketing purposes. They will tell you that they can't accommodate that request but it doesn't matter because they are legally obligated to.

tabowers215

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
3. Give back a contract, even just one resale, via Certified Exit. I haven’t been asked since 2019 - and I was 3/4 through a 4-resort trip when the first contract left my account, was asked at the earlier stops and suddenly not at the last check-in (Grand Desert of all places).
That may be what happened to me. I got hoodwinked into getting into a contract that was way above my budget. I got it re-negotiated to a new contract. I later went to the Emerald Grand in Destin, FL, expecting the sales pitch. Not a word was said.

ddavid1073

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update: They tried to call me the night before the “meeting.” I didn't answer and blocked the number.

THEN they slipped a paper in my door.

The morning of, they came to my door and RANG THE DOORBELL LOUDLY, TWICE at 8:55 am, after I missed the 8:30 time.

I'm definitely complaining to owner services.
That is harassment. I despise that part of the organization. They must be getting desperate.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I'm at La Cascada in San Antonio right now, and the "wristband" guy was very persistent, after a few "NO's", I said something to the effect of "I'm trying to be respectful of you here, and realize it's your job to sign people up for these things, but I just have no interest in attending an update and am not going to", and it ended there.

After I checked in a few hours later when me and the family were heading out for some activities, as I was walking through the lobby, some guy was verbally berating the same wristband guy I dealt with. Which I thought was completely ridiculous. But this is Texas, and i'm sure "freedom" somehow entered the equation in this guy's mind... you never know. Since it was the same guy who tried to get me, I have to assume he was using similar tactics, and nothing out of line or worthy of such response from an obviously privilaged timeshare owner.

The only time I get upset is when the "wristband" people lead in with the lies and deceit. If they are at least honest and straightforward with me, I give them the benefit of the doubt. But people like "Kim" at Governors Green who lie and threaten people with "losing their VIP" if they don't attend, I have no room for people like that, but even then wouldn't verbally berate someone or dress them down in public like this guy I saw Saturday

You know Kim, of the spiky hair and orange Corvette, is no longer at Governor's Green. I never got much of an answer about what happened to her -- no longer works here, which I already knew. Don't know if she was re-located or terminated. We're going down there on Tuesday for eleven nights. I'll ask Sal, the general manager, what happened to her.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
That is harassment. I despise that part of the organization. They must be getting desperate.

I agree but if one of the salespersons gets someone to attend using those tactics, I bet they yuk it up in staff meetings!