• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Close to buying a Hyatt resale - help a newbie?

cookinmamma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt resale help for Newbies please?

First-time posting newbies here :wave: . . . Would really love your feedback.

We love the Hyatt High Sierra Lodge, and are considering making an offer for resale in platinum season -2000 points (summer/kids off from school). We're timeshare newbies and East Coast'ers, but have family in Bay Area, and can see ourselves returning at least every other year to the resort - and to trade in the off years. Have done some research about the Hyatt system and don't fully get it yet, but have family members in it and liking it. The last time we considered buying (after our visit 2 years ago), I thought about buying in at another resort for less $ - - but the trading system seemed daunting - - and we do like this resort enough despite being far from home.

The resale company is Hotel Timeshare Resals, and apparently they alone offer Hyatt Gold Passport points for resales. The asking price is $29K. Does this seem high for a platinum week (2000 points)?

I haven't been looking long, but recently saw a resale for the same timeframe (week 33 or 34) for around $20K, thru another company that presumably would not offer Gold Passport points. Is the Hyatt Gold Passport program worth paying extra for?

Reassurance - - or a wake up slap if appropriate - - is needed! Thank you!

Sir Newf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow PA....I don't own Hyatt, but have been considering purchase. A couple quick recommendations: Read in "Advice" (in red on top of page)- in the 'club/multi resort section'- HYATT info. that's a good start. Also, do a search in the 'Hotel Based Forum' for Hyatt- alot of info in previous posts....
It's my understanding that no Hyatt resales qualify for 'Gold Passport-hotel', I find the real estate company you mentioned to be pricey....prices also vary by location and points purchased...
Here's Kal-a Tuggers website, great Hyatt info: http://www.bywindkal.com/HVC.htm
..join TUG, you'll love it- and have access to Resort Reviews, etc..
Have fun...:) Anna

Last edited:

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
My sense (and probably that of most people on this board) is that it is not worth the additional cost to get the Hyatt Gold Passport conversion privilege. I'm not sure of the specifics as to how many Gold Passport points this unit would convert into - but it may only be equivalent to 3 or 4 nights in a standard hotel room at a top level Hyatt hotel/resort. There are so many terrific HVC resorts that the better value would be to use your HVC points to reserve at a different HVC timeshare resort when you don't want to travel to High Sierra or to elect to bank your HVC points with Interval International for an II exchange (just can't exchange back to an HVC timeshare) for a two year extended period. If you are willing to be patient you might be able to find a platinum High Sierra week for closer to $15k - others on the Board may be able to share thoughts on this possibility. High Sierra is a great resort - I spent my honeymoon there :) Good luck!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Moderator note:

Since duplicate posts are not permitted on these forums, I have merged two threads started by the original poster.

AnnieK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sold a summer High Sierra Lodge using TUG classifieds last year, and got a very fair price which was much less than you are looking to pay. I would recommend looking for a private seller and giving up the Hyatt points. I suggest placing an ad in the "want to buy" section here on TUG. In years when I didn't use my unit, I easily rented it out on TUG and always got a great price. You could use the rental income to vacation for more nights than you could get for the points.

cookinmamma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies . . .

... and sorry about that duplicate post :doh:

Am trying to balance the "intrinsic value" of this unit (penthouse, great location, would love this to be "home resort"), w/ what seems to be a high cost. (based on Kal's excel sheet). Other weeks are selling for the same range at this resort, and the Resale rep says all his summer weeks have been in that range or higher. . . . (any way to check that, incidentally?)

Am I right that more experienced time share users (HVC or otherwise) would probably buy 2 Hyatt weeks (from what I've seen just on this board it wouldn't be hard to do for $29K), which would total more points that the platinum 2000 - - and just work the trading system? Then we wouldn't get that particular unit, but the place is gorgeous so should that really be a big deal. . . .

I've looked thru Kal's pages and the other topics - - - and really appreciate all the advice here. :)

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
hyat tahoe resale

Hi,
I believe a great price would be around 17-19k for a summer date at 2000points. I have NOT seen ANY sales at 15k for a summer week at Hyatt tahoe resale.

I hope this helps!