• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

clearing customs in Dulles?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Dd is flying to Heathrow from Dulles in March. I was just notified that her return trip has been changed. Instead of leaving Heathrow at 11 a.m., she is now leaving at 7:40 a.m. There is a noon flight, but that will get her into Dulles with a little under an hour to make a connecting flight. I'm assuming she will need to go through Customs in Dulles. The agent was trying to see what terminal she was coming in to, I'm thinking if it's the same as the departing they may allow her to take the later flight. But, I'm thinking that would still be cutting it close. She changes domestic flights through Dulles all the time, and has made it easily in under an hour even when changing terminals. Anyone with experience? TIA

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Are your bags checked through to your ultimate destination?

I don't know. It's not me that will be flying. However the entire flight, Heathrow to Dulles and then Dulles to State College, PA is on United. I don't even know if she'll have to retrieve her luggage in Dulles for any kind of inspection, then check it again. Totally clueless here. :doh:

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just did this on United last month going to and from Rome via DC. She will have to get her bags, clear customs and then drop the checked luggage on a conveyor belt and continue on to her domestic gate. We had about 90 minutes and seemed to have plenty of time. I'm sure it all depends on how busy things are at the airport but it was fine for us.

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
She'll have to retrieve her bags for Customs, and then recheck them. There will probably be someone from the airlines there to grab her bag as she leaves customs, she won't have to wander around with it. I wouldn't try to do it in under an hour, though.

What does the airline recommend?

Fern

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am almost positive that clearing customs would be at Dulles. Upon returning to the U.S. and landing in, say, Charlotte or Miami, I clear through there and then get my connecting flight (after rechecking my bags once again) back to Boston. If a direct, non stop flight to Boston, I clear in Boston.

It can be a bit of a mini ordeal.

Luanne, maybe if you call the airline they can give you a definitive answer.

Addendum: ETA:

Found it:

Customs at Dulles

Welcome to the United States
Passengers arriving at Dulles on International flights will be directed to U.S. Customs.

Note: Passengers arriving from the Bahamas, Aruba, Bermuda or Ireland may have already pre-cleared U.S. Customs at the point of departure. Through this system, travelers are treated as domestic passengers upon arrival and will deplane directly into the Concourse. From there passengers can go directly to their connecting flight or to the Main Terminal and exit the airport.

At U.S. Customs there are two queue lines: one for U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents and one for Non U.S. Citizens. Please ensure you are in the correct line in order to speed the process. Wait times vary depending on the number of arriving international flights at that time. Please have completed customs forms handy when you reach the front of the line.

After clearing U.S. Customs at Washington Dulles International Airport, passengers must claim their checked luggage before proceeding in to the Main Terminal or to a connecting flight. All luggage in the U.S. Customs area is subject to inspection. To check-in luggage for a connecting flight, simply hand it to an agent in the baggage re-check area before exiting.

Passengers transfering to a connecting flight will need to clear screening by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA). After entering the Main Terminal, go up one flight to the Departures (Ticketing) level. Present the boarding pass for your next flight along with photo identifcation. Click here for more detailed information about TSA screeening guidelines.

For more information:

Please click here to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.
Global Entry (International Registered Traveler) program for U.S. Citizens - click for more information.
Click here for the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) website.
The phone number to U.S. Customs at Dulles is 703-661-2800.
U.S. Residents, click here for information about obtaining a Passport.

Last edited: