• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Cleaning Fee"

wag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to find out if a resort charges a "cleaning fee" before making a reservation? If one is considering comparable places then the cleaning fee could make a difference. Bill

Lazy8

Reaction score
Holy crow,
I'm in the mist of buying a timeshare.
This is a new one on me "cleaning fee"

Can someone spell out all the hidden costs to me.

Cleaning Fee, Parking Fee, Maintenance fee. and god knows what else??

Are timeshares really worth it.

Should I sell my motorhome and stop going to all inclusives before I buy one.

:)

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are several point based TS which charge a cleaning/housekeeping fee. Most TS systems give you several free ones per year but if you strech your pts with lots of short stays, you may need to pay extra housekeeping fees.

As an example, Worldmark give you one free housekeeping fee if you own 7000 pts. But if you used your 7000 pts for (2) 3 night stays, you'd have to pay for one housekeeping fee.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cleaning fees:
RCI Points vacations which are less than 7 nights - the resort you are staying at may charge you a cleaning fee as they will be possibly cleaning the unit twice in the same 7 day week ... you stay for 3 nights and someone else's stay for 3 nights. Collect by resort.

Wyndham Point - HK - housekeeping credits are based on total number of points you own. They are spent based upon the SIZE of the unit you reserve and are charged the same for 2 nights as 7. If you make multiple short stays, you may run out of HKs. When making a reservation and you are short HKs, you will be charged then (credit card payment) or no reservation.

Those are the two systems I am familiar with. My one resort charges a fee for the inroom safe - $10.60 per week which includes the tax.:(

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Starwood charges an extra cleaning fee for each stay beyond two for each one week 2-bed you own.

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the mist of buying a timeshare.
This is a new one on me "cleaning fee"
Can someone spell out all the hidden costs to me.
In the Bluegreen Points system there is no cleaning fee unless you are a Premier Member and extend your stay with some free days that are in another unit. If your free time is in the same unit there is no cleaning fee. Solara Surfside has a fee for valet parking. That is the only BG parking fee I know of. Some resorts have a fee for the in room safe.

Charles

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cleaning fees:
RCI Points vacations which are less than 7 nights - the resort you are staying at may charge you a cleaning fee as they will be possibly cleaning the unit twice in the same 7 day week ... you stay for 3 nights and someone else's stay for 3 nights. Collect by resort.

I was charged a cleaning fee in the vicinity of $50 for a 2 BR. The amazing thing is the check-out policies basically had the occupant doing most of the cleaning anyway (i.e. empty trash, strip the sheets from the beds, etc.). I figure that the resort at most spent 1/2 hour doing the "extra" cleaning.

Since this was my first experience with a vacation of less than 7 nights, it was totally unexpected. After I returned home I contacted RCI about the policy and questioned why they do not add that tiny bit of info to their resort descriptions. While they did not have to, they refunded my exchange fee.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My RCI Points resort is $39 which I think is too cheap. Try getting someone to do that work at your 2 bdr condo or vacation home at the beach ... my sis pays about $150 per turnover at her Ocean City MD 2bdr/2ba beachfront condo which she rents almost every week during the summer ..... this is NOT an ad, they have a solid supply of rentors. I want to show they are in a business and have used multiple services over the years ... prices are higher than many people think. She even charges her family the cleaning fee, so the service doesn't quit.

IMHO, $50 is still cheap ....

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pet peeve - superficial "cleaning of units

I was charged a cleaning fee in the vicinity of $50 for a 2 BR. The amazing thing is the check-out policies basically had the occupant doing most of the cleaning anyway (i.e. empty trash, strip the sheets from the beds, etc.). I figure that the resort at most spent 1/2 hour doing the "extra" cleaning.

Your description of "cleaning" the unit seems to apply to Wyndham & DVC among many others - superficial of the obvious in 30 40 minutes.

For timeshares a good cleaning takes 2 hours or more. There are dishes to wash, floors to mop/vacuum, 2 or 3 baths to thoroughly clean, counter tops & appliances to clean & polish, dusting lamps, tables, dressers, etc, the obvious trash, linens and more. 30 minutes isn't going to do it although far too many hotels/timeshares think it does thus the questionable conditions you tend to find far too often on arrival.

CharlesS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rational

Cleaning Fee, Parking Fee, Maintenance fee. and god knows what else??

Are timeshares really worth it.

The timeshare management has to budget keeping the units clean. Since most timeshares are sold on a week basis (even if it is in some kind of "points", the underlying deed is most likely a week), I would think that they would include in the routine annual maintenance fee, the cost to clean the unit once. That's fair, one week, one cleaning, one maintenance fee. However, some owners can split that week up into two or three stays which means one or two extra cleanings. Someone has to pay for it, that is a given. The question is Who?

Some resorts with a large amount of partial week usage might simply build it into their maintenance fee budget others will charge only those who use partial weeks, and others have other schemes to share the cost appropriately. But in any event, it has to be paid for.

And in response to the second question, Yes timeshares are worth it to many people, but not everyone. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

Charles

Lazy8

Reaction score
Yes timeshares are worth it to many people, but not everyone. But that's a discussion for another time and place.

Charles

Thanks for you opinion Charles.
Being new to TS's, I just thought I shoud ask that question. I think I still have to do a lot of soul searching to do and then ask myself. Is this really for you. Is this really what you want to do in the years to come.

gorevs9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your description of "cleaning" the unit seems to apply to Wyndham & DVC among many others - superficial of the obvious in 30 40 minutes.

For timeshares a good cleaning takes 2 hours or more. There are dishes to wash, floors to mop/vacuum, 2 or 3 baths to thoroughly clean, counter tops & appliances to clean & polish, dusting lamps, tables, dressers, etc, the obvious trash, linens and more. 30 minutes isn't going to do it although far too many hotels/timeshares think it does thus the questionable conditions you tend to find far too often on arrival.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post was that if I didn't do the prescribed check-out procedures like emptying the trash and running the dishwasher, I could be assessed an additional "cleaning fee" (in addition to the regular $50 fee).