• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cleaning/Disinfecting timeshare unit

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All: Over the years we have had some great discussions on this topic.
I'm curious, will you change anything now because of Covid?

Some of us did nothing, some disinfected surfaces like doorknobs, counter, TV remote, some washed all dishes and cookware.

For those that did nothing, would you think about doing now?
For those that did all, is that enough or would there be more?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We went on a cruise in Feb., I took clorox wipes and wiped down most hard surfaces, bathroom (didn't do shower) and things like handles, door knobs, remotes. I'd do same to TS. Most studies show that C19 surface transmission is low except something like door handle, buffet spoon, etc.
I'll likely now run dishes on heated cycle in DW, esp. silverware/glasses. And use those clorox wipes like above--plus immediately open door/balcony for 15 minutes to recirculate air.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I will clean everything and the rest of my stay I won’t worry about anything in the unit.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will wash all the dishes, silverware and pots & pans in the dishwasher.
I will use Clorox wipes to wipe down all the doorknobs, all the bathroom fixtures, lamp knobs and the television remotes. Finally, I will spray every room with Lysol spray .

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am curious why there would be a need to wipe down surfaces if the CDC now says the virus is unlikely to be transmitted on surfaces. Is this just a precaution in case it is transmittable on surfaces? I am getting confused by the different messages I am hearing about how the virus is transmitted.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am curious why there would be a need to wipe down surfaces if the CDC now says the virus is unlikely to be transmitted on surfaces. Is this just a precaution in case it is transmittable on surfaces? I am getting confused by the different messages I am hearing about how the virus is transmitted.
They were saying before it could be transmitted from surfaces, this week they say unlikely, next month they can say something else.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
A number of years ago, my wife developed a toe fungal infection from one of those nail salons. It was a bear to get rid of it (and that's saying it politely). So we are old hands with Lysol spray. We spray the shower and potty seats with Lysol, and we bring shower thongs.

Now we will add wiping all surfaces with Lysol wipes.

I hope she doesn't asphyxiate me with all the fumes...

About the CDC: we're getting so many confusing and contradictory messages that we think it's best to play it safe. I'm still letting the mail mellow for a day in the garage before opening it. We're wiping down our groceries with Lysol wipes and washing fruits and veggies with soap. Dr. Fauci has made us nuts.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It only took one stomach virus and my daughter then 2 in an emergency room for me to change my ways. That was about 12 years ago.

Since then, I have always wiped down plane surfaces, Lysol sprayed common things in hotel rooms and washed dishes before use.

I know this sounds over the top...but I also am thinking my next venture out may be with my Lysol laundry detergent and wash the bed lines too. Yes, I completely admit this may be an "issue" for me, but if it is what it takes to put my head on my pillow at night and have a restful nights sleep, then it is what it is.

GetawayRus… you are not alone. My grocery delivery sits in my garage for 3 days. Anything that needs to be refrigerated is specifically purchased in something I can wipe down before it goes in my extra fridge and then can make it upstairs to my regular fridge until 3 days have passed. Dear god....I know I am losing my mind, but I sleep well every night.
I half joked with a co-worker, I'm probably gonna die of Lysol poisening before covid.

I will say, in my home......I am cleaning now since I had to put my housecleaner on hold. Dear God, I thought the Clorox bathroom cleaner fumes were going to kill me. Holy moly is that stuff strong!

geekette

Reaction score
....Dear God, I thought the Clorox bathroom cleaner fumes were going to kill me. Holy moly is that stuff strong!

Yeah. My spring cleaning this year kept getting broken up by temps far too low to open a window. I had some "natural" stuff a friend gave me when she moved a year ago, I miss that for not being sooo toxic. If I knew it would kill this virus, I'd go back to it, but, sticking with the heavy artillery for now.

For timeshares, I won't do anything different. I walk in and use it like I live there. My next trip isn't until October, so, I reserve the right to change my mind and pack wipes. Might depend on comfort level of the friend going with me.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still clean my perishable groceries. But I don't use bleach or wipes; I just lather up my hands with regular soap, work my soapy hands over the packages, set them on a designated surface for a few minutes, then rinse them off and put them away in the fridge or freezer. Non-perishables get banished to a separate surface to self-quarantine for a few days before being put away.
I'm still letting the mail mellow for a day in the garage before opening it. We're wiping down our groceries with Lysol wipes and washing fruits and veggies with soap. Dr. Fauci has made us nuts.
I do the same with my mail.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
washing fruits and veggies with soap. Dr. Fauci has made us nuts.

¿How has the lettuce, broccoli, spinach, and celery been doing in the soap?

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
"It has a raspberry fragrance with nutty overtones and a Dial finish"

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I completely admit this may be an "issue" for me, but if it is what it takes to put my head on my pillow at night and have a restful nights sleep, then it is what it is.
and really- that’s what it comes down to- peace of mind. And never underestimate the value of restful sleep, especially these days :)
If I knew it would kill this virus, I'd go back to it, but, sticking with the heavy artillery for now.
The CDC has a spot where you can look up cleaners to see if it effective against CV19. Might be worth checking periodically- they do update it as they get results in on effectiveness

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
most milder commercial cleaners are fine-you don't need the ones with strong bleach. Most of the lysol or 409 multi surface, etc. will work (they contain dimethyl benzol ammonium chloride-CDC/EPA proven ingredient for Covid 19). Clorox wipes, which you can use on your hands if needed (a bit drying), are also fine. No need to scrub everything down. Can't comment on killing fungi, athletes foot, etc. Might need stronger for that.
We sanitize high touch items as they could , in theory, still hold some virus--though it would probably have to be right after someone infected touched it--like a door handle that someone who sneezed, touched mouth had used a short time before you
But, in abundance of caution, we wipe down those items, just as we do if someone has a gastro bug, strep, flu in our house.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Nothing. First off we can’t even get any wipes or sprays do I am surprised how many of you have them.

I might wash a dish or mug or pot first as I use them.

Maybe not. I suppose I could take water, dish soap and a paper towel to wipe down door knobs.

Big discussion going on with Smuggs owners about taking their own blankets, the resort eliminating bed spreads this year, or just washing the blankets in the rooms ourselves, which won’t work since the washers are so small. ( Smuggs did a survey).

i don’t like any of it. I could just as well stay home. Especially if they don’t open the pool.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, that is my understanding, too. I am not going to worry about surfaces. I still wash dishes and pots and pans as usual because the maids stop the DW mid-cycle to finish the cleaning. That's why when you start the DW, it's always in the middle of the cycle and not at the end.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We have always wiped down surfaces on airplanes and hotel rooms. Will now wash dishes at timeshares. Not sure about washing sheets.

There are other germs than Corona e.g. norovirus. Would hate to ruin trip due because of illness.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I doubt that we will change our habits much on check-in.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We checked in to Marriott's Oceana Palms yesterday. We never wiped anything down before and we didn't when we checked in. Though we also figured someone probably hasn't been in this unit in several weeks. Not sure we will go about wiping down all surfaces in the future either.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The CDC changed some wording on their website, but there was no real change in the messaging, data or understanding of surface transmission. I don't know why the news keeps reporting that there has been some big change.

“Our transmission language has not changed,” Kristen Nordlund, a spokeswoman for the CDC says. “Covid-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person.” She adds that the revisions followed an internal review and were the product of “usability testing.”

OLD WEBSITE (5/11):
1590358785948.png

NEW WEBSITE (5/24):
1590359054807.png

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The CDC changed some wording on their website, but there was no real change in the messaging, data or understanding of surface transmission. I don't know why the news keeps reporting that there has been some big change.

“Our transmission language has not changed,” Kristen Nordlund, a spokeswoman for the CDC says. “Covid-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person.” She adds that the revisions followed an internal review and were the product of “usability testing.”

OLD WEBSITE (5/11):
View attachment 21288

NEW WEBSITE (5/24):
View attachment 21289

Thanks for posting this. Interesting that the CDC messaging has not changed much but the media is reporting a change in guidance. This is why the messaging is so confusing, between the experts changing guidance, confusing messaging (like this in the CDC’s website) and the media headlining certain messages (that may or may not be true), it gets very confusing as to what is really going on. Also I noticed the Dr Birx said you should wear a mask whenever you can‘t keep 6’ social distance. She seemed to put a disclaimer on wearing a mask, at least in one of the articles I was reading that someone posted on TUG. The health experts remind me of my dog who goes through his various responses (gives me his paw, rolls over, etc) no matter what command I make. He is just hoping one of these responses works to get the treat he is expecting after a command but he is not sure which response will work.

Update: I just saw Dr Birx on the Chris Wallace show. She said you need to wear a mask when you can’t social distance. This appears to be a disclaimer and this implies you do not need to wear a mask when you can maintain 6’ distance.

Last edited: