• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cleaning and toiletries

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Just got back from Mountain Valley. My first Marriott stay, ever. Very nice -- I should write a review but I will do that later. In short, loved the location, even the studio room, despite a major pluming issue (the bath faucet shot off like a rocket when I tried to use the shower). Three days into my stay, cleaning came around for a trash and towel service. Is this normal for all Marriott resorts? I declined the services since I was leaving the next day and I really did not need any more towels. Would they have also replenished my toiletries?

We are off to SurfWatch for Easter and this will be my first full week Marriott stay. Not sure if Marriott is similar to DVC and they do a trash and towel service midweek at all the resorts, and Disney replenishes the soaps and stuff like that too.

If we need more paper towels or soap can we request more at any time or only at trash and towel service or never at all?

Kind of a silly question, I know but being able to ask these kinds of questions is one of my favorite things about TUG. Thanks.

-Jim

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Most mainland Marriott resorts do not offer any type of midweek or daily tidy/cleaning. At least not for free. You can pay extra for these services. Those resorts in the Caribbean, Asia, Europe, and Hawaii do offer some type of cleaning, either daily or mid week.

You can always ask for additional toilet paper, paper towels. I have never asked for more soap or shampoo, so I don't know about that. Not all resorts offer a towel exchange service for wet towels. Most require you to wash your own. Lakeshore doesn't offer a towel exchange even for studio unit guests. I asked. They will bring more, but not take old. They will take the old ones if you pay for a tidy.

Brenda

TUG Member
Reaction score
For US resorts, we have received mid week tidy at Newport Coast and Manor Club. The Hawaii resorts and St.Thomas also offer mid week tidy. As far as cosmetics, they will replace any absent toiletries during the tidy. To receive additional shampoo, lotion, etc., I just remove them from the bathroom at the tidy day. If I need toiletries or kitchen supplies at other times, I ask the housekeeping staff when they are in hall with the truck cleaning other rooms. They always give me whatever I ask for. I also leave a good tip for the tidy.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
For US resorts, we have received mid week tidy at Newport Coast and Manor Club. The Hawaii resorts and St.Thomas also offer mid week tidy. As far as cosmetics, they will replace any absent toiletries during the tidy. To receive additional shampoo, lotion, etc., I just remove them from the bathroom at the tidy day. If I need toiletries or kitchen supplies at other times, I ask the housekeeping staff when they are in hall with the truck cleaning other rooms. They always give me whatever I ask for. I also leave a good tip for the tidy.

Manor Club has dropped the mid-week. (At least as of our last stay.)

I am there now for three nights stnd reservation through Marrriott.com. I get daily housekeeping.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

So what is a recommended(?) tip for a week stay at a 2-Br Hawaiian Marriott TS? Do you tip once at the end of the week or daily? :shrug:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Manor Club has dropped the mid-week. (At least as of our last stay.)

I am there now for three nights stnd reservation through Marrriott.com. I get daily housekeeping.

I have been to Manor Club three times since December 2010. We never received a mid-week tidy so they must have dropped it longer ago than that.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lately,
1. Frenchman's Cove : Midweek
2. Ko olina: Midweek
3. Canyon Villas: No Midweek

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
At SurfWatch there's no midweek tidy or towel replenishment unless you schedule and pay for it. You can request extra paper towels, toilet paper, kitchen supplies, etc anytime from Housekeeping and they'll bring it to you. Soap powder for the dishwasher, too, they'll replace, but getting extra laundry soap powder is hit or miss - sometimes they'll bring it, sometimes they'll tell you that it's available in the Marketplace. I don't know about replacements for the shampoo, soap, etc.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Gee, all these years we just pulled whatever supplies we needed (usually just soap, shampoo, and occasionally laundry detergent, although I always bring my own) from the maids' carts we'd see in the hallways. Is that bad????

And I've never had a problem calling housekeeping and asking for a fresh supply of towels mid-week.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Sue -- and everyone else for that matter. Nice to know we can request extra paper towels, at the very least. Towels, we can and do wash ourselves. Being able to get extra soap would be really nice, especially hand soap, though.

At SurfWatch there's no midweek tidy or towel replenishment unless you schedule and pay for it. You can request extra paper towels, toilet paper, kitchen supplies, etc anytime from Housekeeping and they'll bring it to you. Soap powder for the dishwasher, too, they'll replace, but getting extra laundry soap powder is hit or miss - sometimes they'll bring it, sometimes they'll tell you that it's available in the Marketplace. I don't know about replacements for the shampoo, soap, etc.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Mountainside in Park City does not include a mid-week tidy clean. You can pay an extra fee if you want that however.

I believe all the Hawaii resorts do include a mid-week tidy clean (but not positive about that).

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
The Aruba resorts also have a mid-week tidy. No problem getting extra supplies.

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
We really feel spoied in Spain and Thailand

All this makes me realise how spoiled and lucky we are in the Spanish and Thailand MVCI resorts. Daily tidy and toilets sanitised, beds made, towels replaced if left in the tub or on the floor. In Thailand, housekeeping wash and dry all the dishes (no dishwasher) daily, in Spain they just load the dishwasher. Mid week a full clean and new linen on the beds. In Thailand, if you even start any of the soaps, shampoos, shower gel or body lotion then they put a fresh one out for you (in both bathrooms). Finally they supply washing powder for the clothes washing machine.

About the only thing we need to take with you to Spain (or buy on-site) is dishwasher powder or tablets - they only supply a few to start you off each week.

So when I do my next exchanges to St Kitts and later in the year to Cypress Harbour (our first II exchanges at Marriotts outside of Europe and Thailand) it will be a bit of a shock - I'll have to make my own bed each day :eek: :D

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I have been to Manor Club three times since December 2010. We never received a mid-week tidy so they must have dropped it longer ago than that.

Sorry for the confusion. Our last stay (exchange) for a week was in 2008. When we stay nightly, we receive daily housekeeping.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I'm staying 5 nites at the Singer Island Marriott Resort on 120,000 MR points and getting spoiled big time with daily maid service, nightly turn down service with candy, no shortage of shower gets, shampoo, etc., and realistically priced room service (American breakfast for $9 delivered fast and hot). Nice place...all upscale decor suites, with kitchen, extensive mini bar stuff, 4 cordless phones, and a Bose stereo for the main TV that plays HD channels.

Next week, for three weeks, I go to my timeshare at Beachplace, and already feel like it is a step down...with having to make beds, make one tiny shampoo last 2 people a week, park my own car, wash towels, and no mid week tidy.

Brian

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I'm staying 5 nites at the Singer Island Marriott Resort on 120,000 MR points and getting spoiled big time with daily maid service, nightly turn down service with candy, no shortage of shower gets, shampoo, etc., and realistically priced room service (American breakfast for $9 delivered fast and hot). Nice place...all upscale decor suites, with kitchen, extensive mini bar stuff, 4 cordless phones, and a Bose stereo for the main TV that plays HD channels.

Next week, for three weeks, I go to my timeshare at Beachplace, and already feel like it is a step down...with having to make beds, make one tiny shampoo last 2 people a week, park my own car, wash towels, and no mid week tidy.

Brian

Isn't it funny how we all like different things? The last time we were at SurfWatch it was a cash stay and the front desk rep was so surprised when I said we didn't want Housekeeping every day, but at the timeshares we just really like not having them visit. During hotel stays, on the other hand, it's so nice to come back to a freshly spruced-up room. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of space - I find it very difficult to make a mess in the timeshares where there's a place for everything, but hotel rooms can look mussy if only a few things are out of place.

amyhwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Ko Olina
Gee, all these years we just pulled whatever supplies we needed (usually just soap, shampoo, and occasionally laundry detergent, although I always bring my own) from the maids' carts we'd see in the hallways. Is that bad????

And I've never had a problem calling housekeeping and asking for a fresh supply of towels mid-week.

I do the same thing, if I need paper towels.

For clean towels, we always just wash our own - pretty much every other day or so. I like them smelling more like decent laundry detergent than when they're laundered from the resort anyway.

We do get midweek tidy at Ko Olina, which is really not necessary since I clean and sweep daily (sand!) and keep the kitchen spotless (we always buy a spray bottle of some kitchen cleaner on the first day at our stocking up trip at Target).

We did not get any tidy at Canyon Villas, Harbor Lake, Grande Vista, or Manor Club.

If I get a full clean (after the first week) of course I leave a tip. What you want to leave is a personal decision, it depends on what they do and all.