• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Circuit City Bites the Dust

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sad, isn't it. Our closest one opened as little as 3-months ago. I've been in it twice, both times I was the sole customer. The staff couldn't even answer a basic question about a mini-computer. I even called two days ago to get information before purchasing one they had advertised for $299. I had to call three times, finally when I got an answer they put me on "hold" until I gave up. My guess is the employee's already knew they were going out of business. From what I've read, the liquidation sales start today.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw and heard about this yesterday.

So I figured today would be a good day to visit their website to see some liquidation deals. Well to my surprise, CircuitCity.com, is no more. It's just a page telling about their decision to close etc.

I guess if I want liquidation deals, I will have to trudge out to a physical store....something I am always bane to do. :(

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like crying. I gave them 15 yrs of my life. I lost a lot of money on my stock. but did sell it b4 it went bust. shaggy

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I went back to Circuit City tonight...it was mobbed. How sad is that? The discount was only 10% on the mini computer I wanted and there were none left. I don't think of a 10% as liquidation pricing.

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shaggy that's a shame. :( I'm glad you were able to get something for your stock before it went bust.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked out the local CC on saturday. Mob scene where there were long lines at check-out. Too bad they didn't have reasonable pricing during normal times as they were pure retail in an internet pricing environment. On saturday everything in the store was 30% off. That still doesn't even match the big box stores like Fry's Electronics.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked out the local CC on saturday. Mob scene where there were long lines at check-out. Too bad they didn't have reasonable pricing during normal times as they were pure retail in an internet pricing environment. On Saturday everything in the store was 30% off. That still doesn't even match the big box stores like Fry's Electronics.

I went to my local store ready to open my wallet and turn the economy around single handedly. I walked away when I only saw 10% discounts on most of the stock. CDs were 20% off and home theater furniture and stands were $30 off.

Charles

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel like crying. I gave them 15 yrs of my life. I lost a lot of money on my stock. but did sell it b4 it went bust. shaggy

Wasn't it a little while ago that they laid off their most experienced workers because they were too expensive. Kind of shows you the value in that strategy. I used to like circuit city. The staff seemed knowledgeable and was far and away better than Best Buy. However lately I feel like I am in a Best Buy. Best buy is 4 miles closer so lately I have just stopped there and gotten what I needed.

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warranty

About 4 months ago I sent Circuit City a check for $300+ to extend the warranty on our big screen TV. I guess I can write off that payment. Bummer.

I use to like Circuit City - years ago.

Every time I drive past the local car dealerships I look to see if any customers are checking out the cars. Nope. Scary.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
For those looking for great liquidation prices, that hasn't been happening with recent liquidations. Generally, another company buys out the stock and liquidates the merchandise, not that actual stores themselves.

We went into the Bed Bath and Beyond stores and found that the discounted prices were actually HIGHER than a week before. If you peeled back some of the price tags, you could see the price before the "liquidation sale" started.

There's been a few news stories about these liquidation sale rip off's. I guess some people will see the words liquidation sale and just lose their minds or common sense. Mostly, I just think they hadn't shopped those items before walking in the store and don't know they're sometimes paying a higher price that what it might have been last month.

If you're going to shop CC liquidation sale, make sure you're doing price comparisons on the items you want. Be careful about impulse buying thinking that you're getting a great deal.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
About 4 months ago I sent Circuit City a check for $300+ to extend the warranty on our big screen TV. I guess I can write off that payment. Bummer.

Every time I drive past the local car dealerships I look to see if any customers are checking out the cars. Nope. Scary.

The extended warranties are still good because they are serviced by a different company.

Charles

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Check out their remaining website. It discusses the warranty situation.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went into the Bed Bath and Beyond stores and found that the discounted prices were actually HIGHER than a week before. If you peeled back some of the price tags, you could see the price before the "liquidation sale" started.

I think you mean Linens and Things--they're the ones who are going out of business, not Bed Bath and Beyond.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Check out their remaining website. It discusses the warranty situation.

The problem is that extended warranties usually allow walk in service. With the stores gone, so is that benefit. So to me the extended warranty is pretty much useless on the laptop I am typing on now. In fact when our wifi card went out on it HP was offering an extended warranty to have it fixed, I instead paid to get a USB wifi adapter rather than to be without the laptop for several weeks.

One good thing I see is that the liquidators will be accepting CC gift cards. A good gesture after the holidays. I don't think you see this happen very often?

Last edited:

Charlie D.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stopped shopping at CC when they pulled off that bone-headed maneuver to replace the workers that had helped get them to where they were for cheaper help. :annoyed:

Charlie D.

Hawaiibarb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wimpy sales

You make me feel better that I didn't head over to CC when I heard the news. I wrote them off a long time ago because their customer service was absolutely terrible. I love a sale, but I knew I'd just get mad when no one would be able to answer my questions. On the other hand, these days my heart aches when I hear of still more people being on the unemployment line.

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it a little while ago that they laid off their most experienced workers because they were too expensive. Kind of shows you the value in that strategy. I used to like circuit city. The staff seemed knowledgeable and was far and away better than Best Buy. However lately I feel like I am in a Best Buy. Best buy is 4 miles closer so lately I have just stopped there and gotten what I needed.

It all started when they closed appliances. I found out the night before. It was the worse mistake they ever made along with divex. I got no severance package, they wanted me to stay and work but I didn't want to learn computers or electronics. A year later they let all the commissioned salesmen go but they got a severance package. The third and final blow was letting the rest of the oldtimes who were not on commission go and told them they could come back in 8 mos at a reduced salary. That's when I sold my stock.

When I was let go the same day Sears called me and wanted me over there. They had tryed to hire me 4 mos b4 but told them I was flattered but I had too much invested to go. They called that day and said now will you talk to me? Yeah, I never felt at home again even tho Sears took fairly good care of me. shaggy

readyalready

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found a $50 Circuit City gift card yesterday that I need to go spend. They claim that they are still taking them through the liquidation. The person I talked to said they are still emptying their warehouses and getting in more stock.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sales aren't really sales in many cases

For those looking for great liquidation prices, that hasn't been happening with recent liquidations. Generally, another company buys out the stock and liquidates the merchandise, not that actual stores themselves.

Exactly. Everything reverts back to list price - not former sales price - then the "discounts" are applied. A GPS I paid $300 for ($50 under all other major stores) on 1/2/09 is currently $375 at the "sale" price. If they have any left tey will have to last until the standard discount gets to over 35% to equal my price of a few weeks ago. Even worse by the time it reaches 35-50% off most of the good stuff has been snatched up by the "bargain hunters" that don't realize they are being ripped off. Oh well, like a retail timeshare buyer if they THINK they got a deal they are happy, so why spoil it for them?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I think you mean Linens and Things--they're the ones who are going out of business, not Bed Bath and Beyond.

You're right. It was Linens and Things. I wouldn't doubt the Bed Bath and Beyond won't be that far behind.

debraxh

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're right. It was Linens and Things. I wouldn't doubt the Bed Bath and Beyond won't be that far behind.

I surely hope not. I love Bed Bath & Beyond - great selection of merchandise, decent prices (especially w/20% off coupon) and EXCELLENT customer service.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I surely hope not. I love Bed Bath & Beyond - great selection of merchandise, decent prices (especially w/20% off coupon) and EXCELLENT customer service.

I actually prefered Linens and Things to our local Bed, Bath and Beyond. The problem both have is they are a specialty store in difficult economic times. Even the best specialty chain is going to have trouble when people aren't opening their pocket books as often.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
The liquidators are out to make money as well. It's not their fault that advertising "Lidquidating", "Going out of Business", even just "On Sale" causes apparently many people to start shopping at a store, even if they really aren't getting any bargains. The CC website says that liquidation runs thru Mar 31, so it makes sense for the company to try to sell whatever then can at regular (even marked up) prices (especially with all sales final, and no price matching in place). I'm sure they measure either the number of buyers, or the amount purchased, and after it gets to some threshold value, increase the discount to get those numbers back up. There's some stuff that people will buy with no discount; other items a 50%-70% savings wouldn't get it into people's carts (I'm not going to spend $30 on a Monster Cable HDMI cable just because it says it's 70% off).

As far as Circuit City going out of business, I'll miss them. To me, like most stores, they're a store to shop at, which many times had competative prices (certainly during sales they did). To me CC, Best Buy, Sears, Target, you name it, isn't really that much different from one another. Like timeshares, you REALLY need to do your own research on items. Do people here walk into CC or BB and ask a salesperson, "What's the best digital camera, or 42" LCD tv?" and expect to get accurate advice?

The executives at Best Buy must be pretty happy now. There was some talk a few months ago about buying CC out, but they didn't do that. Now, they've basically eliminated their biggest competition without spending a dime.

I don't know all the details, but I'm not sure what caused CC to get to this point. I know one posted said their store always seemed empty, but I've never noticed CC to be any worse / less crowded that BB.

I would encourage people to look at the www.circuitcity.com website. It talked about their warranty plans (still in effect), gift cards still being useable, and I think severance for I thought most of their employees. Reading it, I certainly left with the feeling that their trying to be a pretty decent company.

Jeff

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I actually prefered Linens and Things to our local Bed, Bath and Beyond. The problem both have is they are a specialty store in difficult economic times. Even the best specialty chain is going to have trouble when people aren't opening their pocket books as often.

Specialty store? Not for us. They are a necessity store. :D And the one in my area is always busy. I LOVE their 20% coupons.