• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Christmas in California

lauran24

Reaction score
We're looking to do Christmas in So Cal. We have a season pass to Six Flags in Valencia. But we'd probably do 1 or 2 days there.

Where would be a good place to stay. Should I go to Carlsbad and just drive to Valencia (Yahoo put it at 98 miles)? Is there enough to do in Carlsbad to make it worth staying there?

Or is there another place that would be better.

Kids are 10 and 14 (although they'll just be shy of 11 and 15 at that time). We've done Disney a bunch of times, I could see maybe 1 day at Universal.

Otherwise, we like outdoor activities, hiking, biking, etc.

Any thoughts?

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't want to drive in the morning from Carlsbad to Six Flags and then return home to Carlsbad in the evening. 100 miles is a long way in LA traffic :(

Rick

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in Carlsbad. I would suggest Wild Animal Park in Escondido (about 45 min away); San Diego Zoo, Seaworld; a whale watch tour out of Oceanside; learn to surf (altho it would be kind of cold). Weather in December is usually 60-68 and minimal rain. Jan-Feb are our rainiest months usually. They are too old for Legoland. Hope that helps

LizzieJake

TUG Member
Reaction score
We live in oxnard and there is several timeshares here at the beach. We are about an 40 minute drive to six flags across the 126 highway. Our location is about an hour to santa monica to the south and Santa barbara to the north.

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a ton to do in the Carlsbad/San Diego area. It's our favorite place to vacation.

Six flag is my fav amusement park. Last year I decided to take a trip from Carlsbad to Six Flags.. 2 1/2 hours later I made it to Knotts and decided that's where we'd go instead. I think we were almost halfway.

If you must go to Six Flags, I would get a hotel for the night in Valencia or I'd skip Carlsbad and go to Oxnard as someone else suggested.

Bill4728

Reaction score
CaliDave said:
There is a ton to do in the Carlsbad/San Diego area. It's our favorite place to vacation.

Six flag is my fav amusement park. Last year I decided to take a trip from Carlsbad to Six Flags.. 2 1/2 hours later I made it to Knotts and decided that's where we'd go instead. I think we were almost halfway.

If you must go to Six Flags, I would get a hotel for the night in Valencia or I'd skip Carlsbad and go to Oxnard as someone else suggested.

Dave is right! 100 miles on the LA freeways could easily take 3 hours each way. So if you want six flags get a hotel in the area.

There is a lot to do in San Deigo and by Disney, I'd stay in that area.

Universal is a lot of fun. Universal has its City Walk with great restaurants and a nice 16-plex where you can spend time to wait for the traffic to clear. Leave for LA mid morning and stay late at Universal to beat most of the traffic.

Good Luck

Last edited:

mtngal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your main emphasis is going to be Magic Mountain, I'd choose either Oxnard or perhaps WorldMark's new resort in Solvang. The drive from Carlsbad to Valencia is miserable, while it isn't bad from either Oxnard (closer) or Solvang. Solvang's advantage is that its a pretty area and there's a great deal of California history to be discovered in the vicinity. When we were there after Christmas, we barely scratched the surface (went to the mission just outside Solvang, the Historical Society in Santa Ynez which has a nice exhibit of old carriages, ate lunch at an old stagecoach stop near San Marcos Pass). There are numerous beaches near-by, and possibly some hiking opportunities in the Santa Barbara backcountry (depends on weather and road conditions). If it has snowed (not usual, but possible) it is only a couple of hours to Mt. Pinos, the highest point in Los Padres National Forest.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill4728 said:
100 miles on the LA freeways could easily take 3 hours each way.

It took me an hour and a half to go 25 miles tonite...getting from downtown to the Southbay area :eek:

That's why, I agree with the others....Carlsbad to Six Flags would be a real stretch.

Rick

lauran24

Reaction score
Okay, you guys convinced me, I won't stay in Carlsbad!!! Now we're thinking of Escondido and then do a mid morning drive and stay late or even overnight 1 night!!!

Thanks for the help, Traffic sounds terrible!

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Staying anywhere in San Diego County, your drive to Magic Mountain is going to be 1 to 2 hours each way, depending on traffic. Marriott's Newport Coast is a bit closer, but will probably only save you about a half hour.

The Wild Animal Park in Escondido is quite nice.

If Magic Mountain is your primary destination, I would certainly consider staying in one of the resorts in Oxnard or Ventura County.