• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Choosing new laptop for hubby...help!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Hubby never got around to buying himself a new computer last summer. He's always taken my leftovers when I get a new one.

I'd like to buy him one for Christmas. It's got to be Dell, however.

He surfs, does lots of graphic design, uses Microsoft Office programs and Quick Books. He's not a gamer but would want a good video card and lots of memory...speed!

I'd like it to be lightweight as we travel a lot but with as big a screen and keys as possible.

I don't mind spending around $1500 for it. He's worth it!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the XPS M1530.

If you want lightweight, I like my XPS M1330, and it can be configured with a graphics card (mine has one), but it's a low end card. The M1530 has a nicer mid-range (for notebooks) graphics card option, but it's a heavier 15" laptop.

Almost all of these come with 4G memory and large hard drives these days.

-David

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks

Take a look at the XPS M1530.

If you want lightweight, I like my XPS M1330, and it can be configured with a graphics card (mine has one), but it's a low end card. The M1530 has a nicer mid-range (for notebooks) graphics card option, but it's a heavier 15" laptop.

Almost all of these come with 4G memory and large hard drives these days.

-David

Thanks. Knew I could count on you!

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to save a couple or more hundred bucks on a Dell XPS, go to delloutlet.com. They sell Dell certified refurbished, scratch & dent, and returned new computers. You buy as is but you can search for the features you want. I had a friend buy a new XPS 1530 there and she saved about $400 from the new price.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby never got around to buying himself a new computer last summer. He's always taken my leftovers when I get a new one.

I'd like to buy him one for Christmas. It's got to be Dell, however.

He surfs, does lots of graphic design, uses Microsoft Office programs and Quick Books. He's not a gamer but would want a good video card and lots of memory...speed!

I'd like it to be lightweight as we travel a lot but with as big a screen and keys as possible.

I don't mind spending around $1500 for it. He's worth it!

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Just curious...why does it have to be Dell?

davhu1

Reaction score
Wife just got a Dell XPS M1330 from Costo.com. Sale till the end of the month and was a better deal than Dell.com. She opted for the M1330 for lightweight ~4 lbs and bought a 22" Sumsung monitor for home use. Bought the monitor at local store avoid shipping cost. You can get an additional $30 rebate from Samsung from the Buy.com website till 11/27/08.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11315819&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4018584&Mo=4&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=62642&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

$1,199.99 After $500 OFF
Dell XPS M1330 T8300 2.4GHz 4GB DDR2 320GB HDD
Wireless 1505 Wireless-N
Fingerprint Reader
2 Year Warranty

Same price for the M1530

$1,199.99 after $400 OFF
Dell XPS M1530 T8300 2.4GHz
4GB RAM 320GB HDD WebCam
Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N
2-Year Warranty

$259.99 after $20 OFF
Samsung
T220 22" Wide Monitor
DVI 2ms 20000:1 1680x1050 WSXGA+
MagicSuite Intelligent Control
3-Year Warranty

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
She opted for the M1330 for lightweight ~4 lbs and bought a 22" Sumsung monitor for home use. Bought the monitor at local store avoid shipping cost.

This is exactly what I do. I use my M1330 as my main home machine with a 22" monitor. (though it's not a Samsung monitor). I have windows set to extend my display on to the 22" monitor so I have two screens, each with different content.

There was a better deal on the M1530 on Dell's website yesterday. I don't know if it's still there today or not. It was about $150 less and included an extended warranty.

You still have to compare the deals.

-David

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dell

Just curious...why does it have to be Dell?

It's what his company uses and what we both were used to having until I bought a Sony laptop. I had a problem with the fan going out on the Sony. It had to be sent for repair and there was a bit of a fiasco getting it approved for repair and shipped. Then Sony messed up another switch in the process of the repair, didn't correct it, so once I got it back I had to begin the repair process again. They did send someone to my home to fix that switch. BUT I never heard the end of "You should have bought a Dell." from him so I wouldn't dare buy him anything else. :D

I've been very happy with my Sony in every other way though!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is exactly what I do. I use my M1330 as my main home machine with a 22" monitor. (though it's not a Samsung monitor). I have windows set to extend my display on to the 22" monitor so I have two screens, each with different content.

There was a better deal on the M1530 on Dell's website yesterday. I don't know if it's still there today or not. It was about $150 less and included an extended warranty.

-David

I can't do anything for a couple of days but will compare. Thanks all!

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, it's not a Dell but this is a pretty good laptop-even if it's a Celeron processor- (needs another stick of memory) for $400. These guys usually sell refurbished but this is new and you can get a cheap warranty from Square Trade. I have a Dell laptop (an old Pentium 4) that I still use. On the other hand, I have had a couple of Dell desktops, one good, one not so good. The bottom line is processors and battery times keep getting better and faster. Do you really need a $1500 laptop which will be replaced by a plasma screen n the next year or two; there are already new processors on the market? If you (or your friends) are looking for a good cheap laptop TigerDirect (now part of CompUSA) has some good deals. Check this one out:
www.tigerdirect.com/email/wem1761.a...AM&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-WEM1761-_-laptop#VID
:crash:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dell

-David

That M1530 deal is still on Dell's site today...think it's good through Tuesday.

I like the idea of the lighter weight 1330. Is the main difference the video card and what really is the difference in the 128 and 256 video card? I mean, for lack of knowing the right technical terms to use to ask...what does it do for me?

Also thinking of getting him the blue for a change but are the colors a "girl thing"?

dfjkl

Reaction score
It's what his company uses and what we both were used to having until I bought a Sony laptop. I had a problem with the fan going out on the Sony. It had to be sent for repair and there was a bit of a fiasco getting it approved for repair and shipped. Then Sony messed up another switch in the process of the repair, didn't correct it, so once I got it back I had to begin the repair process again. They did send someone to my home to fix that switch. BUT I never heard the end of "You should have bought a Dell." from him so I wouldn't dare buy him anything else. :D

I've been very happy with my Sony in every other way though!

Funny. I've had nothing but problems with EVERY Dell I've ever purchased. My MacBook Pro and Powerbook have given me minimal trouble though (lovely machines they are).

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
That M1530 deal is still on Dell's site today...think it's good through Tuesday.

I like the idea of the lighter weight 1330. Is the main difference the video card and what really is the difference in the 128 and 256 video card? I mean, for lack of knowing the right technical terms to use to ask...what does it do for me?

Also thinking of getting him the blue for a change but are the colors a "girl thing"?

It's not just 128 vs 256. The M1330 has a graphics option, and the card is a low end Go 8400M 128M. The M1530 is a medium end 8600M card with 256M. The 8600M, I believe, is the same graphics card Apple uses in many of it's laptops.

You said "graphic design" in the OP. That's why I though the M1530 was the better choice.

I would be ok with red or blue, but not pink, green, etc. Nothing wrong with Blue.

If you go with the M1330, you'll want the upgraded LED backlit screen and the graphics card option. I'm perfectly happy using my M1330 as my main machine at home, but I don't do any graphics on it, other than some really minor digital photo editing with trivial programs. (not anything like Photoshop.)

Since the M1530 is well within your budget, you can get him that and a Lenovo S10 strictly for travel. (Get the one with the 160G hard drive, and add a 2G SO-DIMM offline for under $30.)

-David

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny. I've had nothing but problems with EVERY Dell I've ever purchased. My MacBook Pro and Powerbook have given me minimal trouble though (lovely machines they are).

I'm so very happy for you. Thanks for coming out of the woodwork to share that with us.

-David

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doggone it, those MAC owners are sure smug, aren't they?:rolleyes: My problem with Dell is they never seem to have the computer I want on sale (the computer they sell has 1GB memory, I want at least two). Of course, memory is easy to fix but they only have 120gb hard drive and I want at least 250gb. By the time I add in the pluses I am hundreds over what I originally started at that was a good deal. :zzz:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even their cheapest desktop for $279 comes with 2G ram and a 320G hard drive these days.

-David

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doggone it, those MAC owners are sure smug, aren't they?:rolleyes:

If you have a MAC store near you - drop by and just have a look. I mean a real MAC store run by Apple. A very interesting time -- no pressure -- sooner or latter someone will tell you that "friends don't let friends do windoze "

Although Vista might be a collectors item some day. Whoops -- smug alert ...smug alert ...whoop ... whooop ...whoop ...

Greg

http://www.apple.com/retail/storelist/

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Graphics

It's not just 128 vs 256. The M1330 has a graphics option, and the card is a low end Go 8400M 128M. The M1530 is a medium end 8600M card with 256M. The 8600M, I believe, is the same graphics card Apple uses in many of it's laptops.

You said "graphic design" in the OP. That's why I though the M1530 was the better choice.

-David

Yes, he designs labels, bumper stickers, logos, embroidery and screen print designs for t-shirts, fleece, hats, tote bags, mugs....you name it...products for the tourist trade mainly in the Charleston area. Not only designs, but has produced/manufactured, sells and distributes. This is his second job. The one he'll take up full time when he retires.

Anything else I should add to the M1530 that wasn't included in the "deal" you were speaking of?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anything else I should add to the M1530 that wasn't included in the "deal" you were speaking of?

I'm not sure which "deal" you found. The one that I mentioned isn't there now.

There's a different deal for $1049, is that the one? I would consider upgrading to the LED screen, and if you want to consider it, get the faster hard drive, though that is an expensive option. Other than that, I think it's good, and it's good as is with no upgrades.

-David

Last edited:

mshatty

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's scratch and dent from Dell Outlet for $959

Dell recommends Windows Vista® Home Premium.

XPS M1530
(System Identifier: ZB0TYV19)

XPS M1530 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate
System Price : $959.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate
Memory
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
200 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Video
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Web Camera
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
Network Interface Card
Dell 1505 Wireless-N
Software Upgrade
Microsoft Works 8.5 with MS Office Trial Version Software
Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software Edition
Hardware Upgrade
AVerTV Hybrid NanoExpress ATSC
6 Cell Primary Battery
Remote Control for Media Center
90W AC Adapter
Dell Travel Remote Control
Scratch & Dent
Scratch & Dent
Laptop Screen
15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife
Media Bay
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Base
XPS M1530 Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2MB cache/2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB)
Bluetooth Wireless
Bluetooth Wireless Card 355
System Color
Crimson Red

Just thought you might like to compare.

dfjkl

Reaction score
I'm so very happy for you. Thanks for coming out of the woodwork to share that with us.

-David

You're welcome.

Doggone it, those MAC owners are sure smug, aren't they?:rolleyes: My problem with Dell is they never seem to have the computer I want on sale (the computer they sell has 1GB memory, I want at least two). Of course, memory is easy to fix but they only have 120gb hard drive and I want at least 250gb. By the time I add in the pluses I am hundreds over what I originally started at that was a good deal. :zzz:

Wasn't being smug. Bought a Dell Inspiron 3800 brand new...poor design on the mouse buttons that went w/ the touch point, they kept breaking. 3 replacements of that whole top section and 2 motherboards and a keyboard later (along w/ one of the replacement motherboards having a bad DIMM slot, hosing my OS installation), I bugged them until they replaced it.

Replacement - Inspiron 4000. Overall...functionally, not a bad machine. After about 3 or so years the HD died, but that is to be expected, I replaced it migrated data before it went completely south. It still had a problem though, it has bad hinges. ...and I know it's a known issue of some sort, as you can find those hinges all day and night long on E-Bay. I've already fixed those things about 4 times and it's stayed broken the last couple of years when I got my wife her HP dv9000.

HP...what's up w/ poor hinge design on consumer laptops?! My wife uses it sitting on the couch, puts it aside, the the things never travel! The hinge on the HP...cracked up now too.

So...since we have an extended on that but she didn't want to be down (and Dell had a deal) we picked up a new Dell Studio 17". Damn you Dell! The touchpad doesn't work reliably on a BRAND NEW laptop. Seeing as Dell was already 0-2...I should've known better.

The Macs?

Bought a new Titanium Powerbook....the wireless card died on it right after it got out of it's AppleCare (so 3 years). I replaced it with another airport card. Drive started making noises after ~4 years. Migrated data to new drive, popped it into machine, all happy now. Still works fine, I just wanted a newer and faster laptop.

Bought a new MacBook Pro Jan. 07. NO issues since...and I can run Windows if I so desire (they are Intel boxes now) but wouldn't want to.

The track record speaks for itself.

Last edited:

Moosie

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband is looking at getting a new desktop computer, and has been looking at Dell too, I forget which model.

If you use Discover there is a 5% cashback if you go through their shopping site, AAA their is a 6% discount if you go through theirs.

My husband may also get me a Dell mini laptop for traveling which he can get for about $99.00 which I just may have him do.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would be ok with red or blue, but not pink, green, etc. Nothing wrong with Blue.

If you go with the M1330, you'll want the upgraded LED backlit screen and the graphics card option. I'm perfectly happy using my M1330 as my main machine at home, but I don't do any graphics on it, other than some really minor digital photo editing with trivial programs. (not anything like Photoshop.)

Since the M1530 is well within your budget, you can get him that and a Lenovo S10 strictly for travel. (Get the one with the 160G hard drive, and add a 2G SO-DIMM offline for under $30.)

-David

Have you compared this machine to the Dell Studio 17 with high end add-on components?

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The track record speaks for itself.

Not for me. I never bought any of the dogs you mentioned. The XPS line is very well made and should last for a long time.

My last one was retired simply because it was outdated. That was the i600m. It was a great laptop. It was uses so much, the letters on the keys were fading.

My current one, the XPS M1330 seems to be even better made and better build quality than my old i600m. And the two I had before the i600m were also just as good.

Dell makes several different lines, and some of them, sure, are not as well made as the XPS line or some of their other lines.

But the main thing in this thread was that the OP wants a PC, not a Mac, and has her own reasons for wanting it. So, what's the point?

Anyway, thanks for playing along. Unfortunately, you've been eliminated from the game and won't be going on to the next round. Denise here has some nice parting gifts for you.

-David

PS: I've decided to help you on your quest. I'm going to answer every thread from now on with some form of "you should buy a Mac". Well, at least until I get banned.

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you compared this machine to the Dell Studio 17 with high end add-on components?

Kal, Glynda said in the OP:

If it's something you're interested in, I'd check the reviews on it over at notebookreview.com. Personally, I don't know anything about it. (oh, it's an 8 pounder and fat.)

-David