• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Choosing new laptop for hubby...help!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Not for me. I never bought any of the dogs you mentioned. The XPS line is very well made and should last for a long time.

My last one was retired simply because it was outdated. That was the i600m. It was a great laptop. It was uses so much, the letters on the keys were fading.

My current one, the XPS M1330 seems to be even better made and better build quality than my old i600m. And the two I had before the i600m were also just as good.

Dell makes several different lines, and some of them, sure, are not as well made as the XPS line or some of their other lines.

But the main thing in this thread was that the OP wants a PC, not a Mac, and has her own reasons for wanting it. So, what's the point?

Anyway, thanks for playing along. Unfortunately, you've been eliminated from the game and won't be going on to the next round. Denise here has some nice parting gifts for you.

-David

PS: I've decided to help you on your quest. I'm going to answer every thread from now on with some form of "you should buy a Mac". Well, at least until I get banned.

Thanks David, you have addressed my specifications (has to be a Dell, somewhat lightweight and a system for graphics) as well as budget.

Hubby is still using the 700m. That's the one I want to replace.

The letters start rubbing off for me quite early on all my keyboards. The Sony is already missing parts of four of them. I wonder if it has anything to do with hand lotion or maybe it's from eating and typing. :D

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Decisions...

Now I'm just trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy it now or wait a little closer to Christmas and see if it there are any better deals.

dfjkl

Reaction score
Not for me. I never bought any of the dogs you mentioned. The XPS line is very well made and should last for a long time.

My last one was retired simply because it was outdated. That was the i600m. It was a great laptop. It was uses so much, the letters on the keys were fading.

My current one, the XPS M1330 seems to be even better made and better build quality than my old i600m. And the two I had before the i600m were also just as good.

Dell makes several different lines, and some of them, sure, are not as well made as the XPS line or some of their other lines.

But the main thing in this thread was that the OP wants a PC, not a Mac, and has her own reasons for wanting it. So, what's the point?

Anyway, thanks for playing along. Unfortunately, you've been eliminated from the game and won't be going on to the next round. Denise here has some nice parting gifts for you.

-David

PS: I've decided to help you on your quest. I'm going to answer every thread from now on with some form of "you should buy a Mac". Well, at least until I get banned.

She's constrained her price range anyway. You actually make my point...they are putting out crap in the "budget" market (even though that's still a fairly decent cash outlay). The XPS line is way overpriced and when you are purchasing XPS you can't say anything about Apple pricing in comparison. At that point I can also run Windows AND MacOSX. I moved away from Windows about 6 years ago (basically when OSX 10.1 came out) and never looked back. My personal computing headaches since using a nice Unix-based OS have gone way down...unfortunately family support headaches don't as they still expect support when they buy crap I tell them not to buy.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
The XPS line is way overpriced and when you are purchasing XPS you can't say anything about Apple pricing in comparison.

No, that's not true. Look again. The XPS M1330 and XPS M1530 are not overpriced, in fact they are relatively inexpensive. Apple doesn't make anything like the M1330, in the same weight class. The Macbook weighs in at about 5.5 pounds. At 4 pounds, the M1330 is also cheaper. Even then, if you want to compare them, the new Macbook has a better graphics chip, but it's starting price at $1299 is higher than a nicely configured M1330.

At the time that Glynda asked, the M1530 in a great configuration with an extended warranty was priced at around $1050. It's comparable to the 15" Macbook Pro which starts at $1999.

Everybody makes some dogs. Even Apple. For some reason you seem to have gotten a larger share of dogs than most people. And you're right, I don't buy the real low end laptops from anybody. (I do have a Lenovo S10 netbook though, but I wouldn't exactly call it "low end".)

Don't take it the wrong way. I think Apple makes great products too. And nobody else makes a notebook out of a single sheet of stamped aluminum. Apple's focus on ease of use and design is great. They are great if that's what you want. I also recommend their products when it's appropriate.

I wish they would make a netbook. I would probably have bought that if they did, and it was priced reasonably.

-David

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Precision

And now son-in-law, who is also a graphic designer, says hubby needs a Dell Precision for his graphic programs. So today I have to start looking into those. Sigh.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What about this for a graphic designer?

Dell Precision Workstation M4400 32bit

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz, 6M L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Business Bonus-Windows XP Professional downgrade

PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft® Office 2007 Basic and Adobe Acrobat 9.0 STD
LCD 15.4” WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display (I added this)

WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service

VIDEO CARD NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M, 512MB

MEMORY 4.0GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS (this was originally 2.0GB and I added the 4)

HARD DRIVE 160GB Hard Drive, 7200RPM with Free Fall Sensor (This seems small compared to most but the choices were very expensive to add except for a 500 5400RPM and I don't understand the difference between 7200 and 5400.)

OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD with Cyberlink Power DVD™

BATTERY OPTIONS 6 Cell Battery

WIRELESS CARD Intel® WiFi Link 5300 802.11a/g/n Draft Mini Card (Added this over Dell wireless)

INTERNAL KEYBOARD Internal English Keyboard

No Fingerprint Reader

WEBCAM / MICROPHONE Integrated webcam with microphone (added this)

SYSTEM DOCUMENTATION Resource DVD - Contains Diagnostics and Drivers
My Accessories

A/C ADAPTER 130W 3P, A/C Adapter

My Software
SYSTEM MANAGEMENT No Intel® vPro™ Secure Advanced Hardware Enabled Systems Management

My Services & Warranties
No Onsite System Setup

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM

LCDs Black Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel w/ Integrated Camera and Microphone

Processor Branding Intel Centrino 2 Core Duo Processor

OS Labels Vista Premium Label

Moosie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glynda,

Finally ordered my husband's last night.

Here's a code to try, don't know where he got it:
F3TVP?504MVD3Z but it worked.

I ended up going through Discover card site and will get another $70.00 cash back at least it pays for the sales tax.

1 Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q9550 (12MB L2, 2.83GHz, 1333FSB)
1 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4DIMMs
1 Dell Wireless Desktop Keyboard & Mouse
1 Dell S2409W 24" Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
1 ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI
1 750GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
1 Dell 19 in 1 Media Card Reader w/ BT
1 Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition SP1, 64-Bit
1 Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
1 Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
1 No Modem Option
1 Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
1 Blu-ray Disc (BD) Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)
1 Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1 No Speaker Option
1 No Productivity software pre-installed
1 No Security
1 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
1 WildTangent Games
1 Windows Vista™ Premium
1 Receive an E-mail for your Dell Remote Access

Save 25% on all Studio dekstops $1299 or more (before tax, fees, shipping & handling) - $467.25 [FONT=arial, helvetica]Order Subtotal: $1,401.75 Shipping and Handling Total: $35.00
Shipping Discount: -$35.00
Tax Total: $70.10 Total Amount: $1,471.85
[/FONT]
vertical_shadow_box_b_l.gif

Only complaint is had to get Vista instead of Windows XP.